The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 19, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #5,596 of 12,991

You just saved me...time and money
beerchug.gif

Glad to be a guinea pig of a assistant to you. 

But wait... burn in hasn't set in yet.... 2hrs of hard tuning wasn't enough.  I need at least 400,000 hrs of burn in before this thing really set in.   Sorry, had to do it.  LOL

Yeah maybe a pad change,  I mean these things do rumble and thump.  I need more tuning time, need to find its limits
Try the HE400 with a speaker amplifier, preferably vintage with a giant power supply tone controls and a loudness switch.

I've ended up with half a dozen vintage amps just experimenting with the Hifimans and the best one is an Onkyo which has a power supply bigger than my PCs in dimensions and pushes 800w to make 110w/ch stereo, has bass and treble controls along with the loudness button and some smashing VU meters.

Must...have...more...knobs and switches...OCD not satisfied yet....

Dual mono on this big heavy ass bitch.  Heavy as ****

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #5,603 of 12,991
BTW I,m looking at the VU meters on the Onkyo with the Rooftop- Eric Kupper Club Remix playing, bass set at 4. volume at

10/40 and the ifi acting as the DAC and the HE-400 is constantly hitting the 7-10W mark on the meters which indicates that

even the HE400 can take some serious power and not a hint of distortion in the bass.

So anyone looking to get the HE400, save your money and buy a vintage receiver.

You can probably pick one in great condition for about $200 and service it for about $100 more and it also runs your speakers
wink.gif

PS: Going past the 10W mark CONTINUOUSLY on the Armin and Nadia Ali track Feels so Good.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1PBE8qas7XxnASAvNcs4eB

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #5,604 of 12,991
  BTW I,m looking at the VU meters on the Onkyo with the Rooftop- Eric Kupper Club Remix playing, bass set at 4. volume at

10/40 and the ifi acting as the DAC and the HE-400 is constantly hitting the 7-10W mark on the meters which indicates that

even the HE400 can take some serious power and not a hint of distortion in the bass.

So anyone looking to get the HE400, save your money and buy a vintage receiver.

You can probably pick one in great condition for about $200 and service it for about $100 more and it also runs your speakers
wink.gif

PS: Going past the 10W mark CONTINUOUSLY on the Armin and Nadia Ali track Feels so Good.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1PBE8qas7XxnASAvNcs4eB

so you guys using straight out of the tap with no resistors in between?

Been using it from the headphone jack with high gain.  I think theres at least a 250ohm in there and its already pretty powerful.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #5,605 of 12,991
The HE400 runs off both but the HE-6 demands more power than the headphone jack can provide.

Instead of resistors I use the volume on my DAC and the Amp to control the output on the amp for the HE-6 and the HE-6 can soak up a lot of  direct power.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #5,609 of 12,991
Don't think you'll want the HFs if you're bringing them out, my SZs already stand out when I bring them out...

I have some SZ's on the way, yeah. My wife accidentally spoiled what my xmas present was :wink:

Still would grab some HF's to see what they're all about but if the SZ's are where the bass is, I'll be happy.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #5,610 of 12,991
I have some SZ's on the way, yeah. My wife accidentally spoiled what my xmas present was :wink:

Still would grab some HF's to see what they're all about but if the SZ's are where the bass is, I'll be happy.

Yeah slap on some 55x pads and you're good to go. From what I know about the HF they're nice headphones but not something you would bring out of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back