The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 18, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #5,581 of 12,991
Never had the ican auto shutoff.  I've had the dial on 3 o'clock position with no problems.

what eq are you using?  I think I saw you say your on a android and spotify.  Is your phone rooted?  if so try downloading viper4android.  its a global app, so it would work for spotify too.

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #5,582 of 12,991
I don't know if this affects you but I have heard of Androids sending faulty headset disconnect signals. when I had an android for a couple days I had this problem and it bothered me until i found out you needed to download some other app to prevent it from thinking you disconnected the headset when you didn't.

edit: Does anyone here have both the SZ and TH-X00? i'm dying to know how they compare in terms of knocking my socks off with bass!!!!

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #5,583 of 12,991
  ya, its fustrating.  I know, I've been there.  I thought the same when i received my set.  I knew there was potential there but didn't bring it out till I got the ican and vintage amp.  Which i finally found out that they dont do to well with software eq.  you really have to turn down the gain on the eq to raise the power enough for them to hit.  your not going to get to the level of the top 5 cans, but you will tease the 10 spot.  Which is fine for me, I didn't get these things to bang out like that.  But it is nice when you can get them to rumble.

But if it ain't for you then its not for you.  Sell and move on.  

I'm actually trying to find a planar where i can replicate the lcd wtih impact and low end.  I just cant stand the weight of the lcd.  I cant have it on for more than an hr.

Have you tried a HE-400?  Modded and out of vintage (which you have) they are quite good for bass.  Out of speaker taps.............now you're talking.  That's how mine are driven.

edit - read you are trying the HE-400i - I had it for a month on the audition tour side by side with the HE-400 and felt it just didn't do bass anywhere near the original 400. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #5,587 of 12,991

Have you tried a HE-400?  Modded and out of vintage (which you have) they are quite good for bass.  Out of speaker taps.............now you're talking.  That's how mine are driven.

edit - read you are trying the HE-400i - I had it for a month on the audition tour side by side with the HE-400 and felt it just didn't do bass anywhere near the original 400. 

The 400i does bass pretty well, not as well as the LCD, but good.  I'm thinking it needs a pad change to bring out the impact.  Might put some lcd pads on there.

As soon as I can find a set of 400's for the right price i'm trying them.  when time comes, i'll ask you what mods you did.  

i'm trying to find mods for the 400i, but I guess there isn't any...

Yup, running both the HE6 and the HE400 off speaker taps off vintage gear with bass and treble controls and they kick like a mule. The HE6 digs deeper though.

Bro... don't say that... 

I have to tell myself...

I don't want the he6, i don't want he6, I...don't....want... the....he6...

**** I might get the he6...
  huh. i thought HE-400 were bass anemic... maybe i'll have to check them out.

not bassier than SZ though are they?

Nothing in the world can do what that beast does.  i'm starting to think that there will never be another one either.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #5,590 of 12,991
Never had the ican auto shutoff.  I've had the dial on 3 o'clock position with no problems.

what eq are you using?  I think I saw you say your on a android and spotify.  Is your phone rooted?  if so try downloading viper4android.  its a global app, so it would work for spotify too.

Android and spotify is correct. I tried getting the viper but it didn't recognize busy box when I tried to install the drivers so I need to mess around with it a bit more. I'd never actually listen to it like that though. It probably cut out around 11 or 12 o clock on high gain.

Viper looks pretty rad though, definitely gotta look into getting that going.

Otherwise Ive really been enjoying the iCAN so far. Really impressed with the 3D effect a bit more than the bass boost, but I guess thats because the bass just isn't there in there games as much as I thought, and the eqing has a crazy amount of boost.

Can you recommend a good global eq program for windows? If I could eq the audio output on my pc games, I'd forever be stoked.

I just ordered a Cayin C5 for my portable needs too. Merry Christmas to me haha. Can you also recommend a good high res audio source for android, or would that not be worthwhile since ILL be using the stock dac?

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #5,592 of 12,991
Android and spotify is correct. I tried getting the viper but it didn't recognize busy box when I tried to install the drivers so I need to mess around with it a bit more. I'd never actually listen to it like that though. It probably cut out around 11 or 12 o clock on high gain.

Viper looks pretty rad though, definitely gotta look into getting that going.

Otherwise Ive really been enjoying the iCAN so far. Really impressed with the 3D effect a bit more than the bass boost, but I guess thats because the bass just isn't there in there games as much as I thought, and the eqing has a crazy amount of boost.

Can you recommend a good global eq program for windows? If I could eq the audio output on my pc games, I'd forever be stoked.

I just ordered a Cayin C5 for my portable needs too. Merry Christmas to me haha. Can you also recommend a good high res audio source for android, or would that not be worthwhile since ILL be using the stock dac?

Equalizer APO is global for pc.  Its kind of tricky since you have to input numbers to change freq and adjust, instead of a graph with sliders.  Once you get how to use it, its great.

What do you mean by hi-res source?  If you want to stream flac, tidal is the way to go.  If your using spotify premium, just stick with that.  Tidal is $20 a month and its glitchy as **** right now.  I'm about to unsubscribe after this month.

Your iCan cutting off is not the usual.  I would try to send it in or ask over at the iCan thread to see whats up.  i've never had mine cutoff on me.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #5,593 of 12,991
The HE6 subbass is literally a wall pummelling your ears, you just want to reach out, grab a chunk and chew on that tasty rich bass.

Man... sounds tasty already.

Might have to just sell off the rest of the stable and just get the big dog....

After two days with the 400i, i'm already seeing it's not meaty enough.  Bass is there, just not enough weight to it for me.  Still preferring the LCD over it.

I'm going to try the 400 first.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #5,594 of 12,991

Man... sounds tasty already.

Might have to just sell off the rest of the stable and just get the big dog....

After two days with the 400i, i'm already seeing it's not meaty enough.  Bass is there, just not enough weight to it for me.  Still preferring the LCD over it.

I'm going to try the 400 first.

You just saved me...time and money
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #5,595 of 12,991
Try the HE400 with a speaker amplifier, preferably vintage with a giant power supply tone controls and a loudness switch.

I've ended up with half a dozen vintage amps just experimenting with the Hifimans and the best one is an Onkyo which has a power supply bigger than my PCs in dimensions and pushes 800w to make 110w/ch stereo, has bass and treble controls along with the loudness button and some smashing VU meters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back