The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #5,566 of 12,991

The gain on the eq.

mids are for 400 hz to 5k

I think neutron is parametric, right?

start with bringing down 1k or 2k

I always start with 1k.  that usually the  medium for male and female vocals

yes neutron has both parametric and graphic eq

well what u say is not that different from what i do, man it did not fix a thing, i gave up on the lcd2 long time ago

this dam shouty sound sig once u increase the volume to levels i like is a big turn off

its so strange how happy i am with my iems shure 846 and z5 compared to this lcd2 

man i once spent 2 hours continuously eqing and never it got right, i bought the alo mk3 b and ifi dsd specifcally for the lcd2 and both suck with the lcd, and the dam distrotion with bass is killing it for me, and i followed many online instructions and urs and no success

i am done with lcd2 man, i need another headphone, had th th900 not have this irritating highs i would have gone that way but i heard it once and the th900 can be piercing to my ears

i might conisder the th x00 massdrop

simply put trying to make the lcd2 to sound to my liking is not achieved no matter what i do, the bass distorts like hell sometimes and the shoutiness is killing the buzz

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,567 of 12,991
ya, its fustrating.  I know, I've been there.  I thought the same when i received my set.  I knew there was potential there but didn't bring it out till I got the ican and vintage amp.  Which i finally found out that they dont do to well with software eq.  you really have to turn down the gain on the eq to raise the power enough for them to hit.  your not going to get to the level of the top 5 cans, but you will tease the 10 spot.  Which is fine for me, I didn't get these things to bang out like that.  But it is nice when you can get them to rumble.

But if it ain't for you then its not for you.  Sell and move on.  

I'm actually trying to find a planar where i can replicate the lcd wtih impact and low end.  I just cant stand the weight of the lcd.  I cant have it on for more than an hr.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #5,568 of 12,991
  ya, its fustrating.  I know, I've been there.  I thought the same when i received my set.  I knew there was potential there but didn't bring it out till I got the ican and vintage amp.  Which i finally found out that they dont do to well with software eq.  you really have to turn down the gain on the eq to raise the power enough for them to hit.  your not going to get to the level of the top 5 cans, but you will tease the 10 spot.  Which is fine for me, I didn't get these things to bang out like that.  But it is nice when you can get them to rumble.

I'm actually trying to find a planar where i can replicate the lcd wtih impact and low end.  I just cant stand the weight of the lcd.  I cant have it on for more than an hr.

so which headphone would u consider, as i am sick and tired from the lcd2 man, it costed me alot of money to try to fix what i do not like in its sound sig, and the most bugging thing is this shoutiness i hear , what a buzz killer it makes my music sound like crap, forget the bass, i can fix that following ur advise although not 100% where i want it to be, but this dam shoutiness is a the main buzz killer

I need another full size headphone, something like the bass of the th900 but with great mids and highs, something that is also warm as I lean towards lean warm sound signatures

you know where i hate my lcd2 most when i listen to metal, its like listening to a catastrophe of pain, and when this happens i just crab my cheap sms by 50 cent and i am much happier, can u imagine that i throw the lcd2 away and grab the sms by 50 cent, its not great but better than listening to this shouty sound from my lcd2

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #5,569 of 12,991
Just wanted to mention that wattage @ X ohms is not linear. For example, you can't take 800 mW @ 32 ohms and assume it is 1600 mW @ 16 ohms. The problem is that iFi and every other manufacturer doesn't provide full stats on their products such as voltage or amperage to be able to calculate wattage at various resistance (ohms). It's frustrating to say the least. Usually some tests are required to measure the actual performance of an amp to know for sure but many manufacturers list a few different resistance numbers if the amp is intended for such headphones (150ohms - 600ohms). Most headphones fall in the 16ohms - 32ohms range and that is why you see those two numbers represented most often on spec sheets. The LCD-2's at 70ohms makes them kind of an oddball.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5,570 of 12,991

so which headphone would u consider, as i am sick and tired from the lcd2 man, it costed me alot of money to try to fix what i do not like in its sound sig, and the most bugging thing is this shoutiness i hear , what a buzz killer it makes my music sound like crap, forget the bass, i can fix that following ur advise although not 100% where i want it to be, but this dam shoutiness is a the main buzz killer

I need another full size headphone, something like the bass of the th900 but with great mids and highs, something that is also warm as I lean towards lean warm sound signatures

you know where i hate my lcd2 most when i listen to metal, its like listening to a catastrophe of pain, and when this happens i just crab my cheap sms by 50 cent and i am much happier, can u imagine that i throw the lcd2 away and grab the sms by 50 cent, its not great but better than listening to this shouty sound from my lcd2

Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00. More mellow than the TH-600 and 900 but still with excellent bass.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #5,571 of 12,991

This is my unicorn that i'm hunting for.  It seems you and me have the same taste in sound sig.

I like the lcd for moderate listening levels for rock, jazz, blues and reggae.  When I want to slap the **** out of my ear drums.  Thats when everything goes out the windows.

Scew the **** out of the sound sig with lowering all frequencies and boost the **** out of the bass and enjoy.

The th-x00 would probably be a good choice.  Just can't stand the hinges.  When i had the th-600 I had to constantly tighten the screw.  It was a bitch to get to too.  If that thing had a better design, I think the x00 would be back in the stable.

Right now I'm testing out the he-400i.  To early to give an impression.  Will post something when I finally decide if its a yay or nay
Just wanted to mention that wattage @ X ohms is not linear. For example, you can't take 800 mW @ 16 ohms and assume it is 1600 mW @ 32 ohms. The problem is that iFi and every other manufacturer doesn't provide full stats on their products such as voltage or amperage to be able to calculate wattage at various resistance (ohms). It's frustrating to say the least. Usually some tests are required to measure the actual performance of an amp to know for sure but many manufacturers list a few different resistance numbers if the amp is intended for such headphones (150ohms - 600ohms). Most headphones fall in the 16ohms - 32ohms range and that is why you see those two numbers represented most often on spec sheets. The LCD-2's at 70ohms makes them kind of an oddball.

This is totally true right here.  But you have it the other way around.  The higher the load (ohm) the lesser power you get.

The specs that are stated will give you a rough gestimate of what you will be getting...

Still, I would rather have a company state some kind spec, so i can hold them accountable if I decide to test the amp.  Guess it's just a peace of mind thing.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #5,572 of 12,991
Yeah the resistance numbers should be flipped around. I wasn't really paying attention since it was a made up example.

Also, I've never had an issue with the hinges on the Fostex. The fact that the frame is all-metal with no plastic parts is a big plus in my eyes.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #5,574 of 12,991
Can you give me screenshot of your equalizer settings  ? Which app are you using ? Which hardware ? Software  ? I'm sure there is a way to get a better equalization be it depends on what source you're using

I was using the free "Music Volume EQ" for Android. It only had five bands and everytime i changed songs before they finished it, had to restart the eq which was extremely annoying. If I boosted the bass it made all the other freqs extremely veiled.

But I stream from spotify premium and derp de derp, I just discovered that I can improve the quality and it has a built in eq which is indescribably more functional and has much better SQ, and some nice built in effects.

On the hardware end of things, I have a fiio A3 aka ellk, but just got an iCAN and schiit modi 2 today for myself for Christmas. Still trying to decide if iCAN exercise some self control and wait until xmas to open it all up and be blown away.

Overall though, I find the eqing to have an incredible improvementioned in sound now and have been having a lot of fun with it regardless of the issues described earlier.

If it's in a V shape I'm all set. Subtle V for classical, and deep V for thumping, I really enjoy anything V shaped.

It's crazy how much better my SZ2000 setup with EQing is than my beats studios (which I never EQed). And I'm sure I'm in for a real treat all over again when I get my iCAN setup.

Ive caught the audiophile basshead bug, aND there is no cure.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #5,579 of 12,991

I like my PM-2s much more than LCD-2, have you tried that? I also think Fidelio X2 is better than LCD-2. If you want basshead sound however, consider the new TH-X00. I'll buy that to complement PM-2, I hope they start another drop soon. I'd had TH900 but returned it due to piercing highs. Apparently TH-X00 highs are much more polite.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5,580 of 12,991
So I fired up my new ican last night and was messing around with the eq and bass boost with my sz2000s. Tried to get some paper shake having fun...so it was on full gain, with xbass and 3d at theit highest settings...and I cranked up the volume and EQed and I must be doing something wrong because it shut off past a certain volume. I was like oh crap! But then I unplugged it, plugged it back in and was relieved to find it everything work fine. But it didn't seem like I was anywhere near the paper rattling bass of the videos. What am I doing wrong? Does the gain need to be turned down? Did I ask too much of the iCAN, or try to run too much power through the SZs? What caused the auto shut down? Seems like a built in safety feature I'm glad to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back