The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 22, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #4,366 of 12,991
Btw, not sure if someone said this already, but the SZ-2k's are on Amazon Prime in the US now for $230!

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #4,367 of 12,991
  Does the X1/X2 take kindly to bass boost? Like, would the X1 + C5 be a good combo? I feel like they might distort too heavily.

I can say the X1 with a FiiO e12 (before I bought my C5) with bass boost on and a +10 dB boost near 40Hz was too much on a Hip hop track.
at that time I supposed everything was driver size and that was the issue. A year later and it seems more likely it's related to the max input spec which is 500mW

That is pretty low. The Cayin as you know has a big leap from low to high gain. I would imagine on low gain with bass boost over a flat eq it would be an enjoyable listen. If you flipped to high gain and or raised the sub-bass too much you would pick up audible distortion

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4,368 of 12,991
Btw, not sure if someone said this already, but the SZ-2k's are on Amazon Prime in the US now for $230!
and I felt so cool importing mine from Japan lol. If there was any justice in this world HBB would be getting kickbacks from every sale.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #4,369 of 12,991
and I felt so cool importing mine from Japan lol. If there was any justice in this world HBB would be getting kickbacks from every sale.

I contacted JVC on Facebook and maybe they saw my very active adrenaline junkie life style and hanging with gangsters and thought.....

aaaaaaand...that was the end of that
tongue.gif

FWIW beween PM's, open thread and Youtube the Cayin C5 has moved a lot of units from this branch.  gikigil was relentless on me grabbing one and at that time it was not so much taking over the e12....it is now. gikigil should get a new Harley

JVC buys me the car and Cayin pays for the pimping out of it with a 20k Audio system
deadhorse.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #4,371 of 12,991
SOS - can't tell where on the volume pot is unsafe to listen to with the C5 :)

I saw HBB's post about a little over two on the Note4.. but the computer definitely isn't putting out what the Note is. 3 starts to get pretty loud - inbetween 3 and 4 is where you can start to feel the bass bad. 4 is loud as fuuuuuck. Also - the velour pads do soak up a lot of the hit. Maybe I'll have to get 55x's faster than I thought

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #4,372 of 12,991
@s5300 asked for EqualizerAPO/PeaceGUI profiles for the SZ2000. I uploaded a bunch.

http://www.basshead.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/sz2000_peace.zip

Several are based on Golden Ears response curves.
  1. "Match" is actually meant to match the response, which exaggerates the sound of the SZ2000 and is largely meant to hear the problems with the headphone.
  2. "Invert" corrects for the frequency response to a large degree and makes it sound fairly balanced.
  3. Then the Bass Shelf set pumps up the bass.
  4. Manual was me just listening and adjusting until it felt about right with a huge bass increase.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,373 of 12,991
Just found that if you have a rooted Android device you can drastically increase the volume without affecting quality. http://www.naldotech.com/how-to-boost-increase-speaker-headphones-volume-on-nexus-6/
Works with any device, but the values may be in a different place. I've changed mine to 100. Was 20 by default. For speaker i've changed all RX values to 95
A lot better than using faux audio or gain on Viper. This turns up the phone's internal amp

Mine was at the top, unlike shown in the guide

Edit- can't use the amp at full volume with the internal up. Basically double amping. A lot more power for sure. Could probably power anything

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #4,376 of 12,991
  @s5300 asked for EqualizerAPO/PeaceGUI profiles for the SZ2000. I uploaded a bunch.

http://www.basshead.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/sz2000_peace.zip

Several are based on Golden Ears response curves.
  1. "Match" is actually meant to match the response, which exaggerates the sound of the SZ2000 and is largely meant to hear the problems with the headphone.
  2. "Invert" corrects for the frequency response to a large degree and makes it sound fairly balanced.
  3. Then the Bass Shelf set pumps up the bass.
  4. Manual was me just listening and adjusting until it felt about right with a huge bass increase.

For slammin bass songs, on high gain with bass boost on, what is the highest you'll set the pot on the Cayin? Also, do you have an aftermarket soundcard or just using your Mobo's HD Audio out? If so, what codec does it have? I'm running Realtek ALC 1150, and man, it sucks ass. I tried from my mobo out but could not get Equalizer APO to boost it no matter what.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #4,377 of 12,991

For slammin bass songs, on high gain with bass boost on, what is the highest you'll set the pot on the Cayin? Also, do you have an aftermarket soundcard or just using your Mobo's HD Audio out? If so, what codec does it have? I'm running Realtek ALC 1150, and man, it sucks ass. I tried from my mobo out but could not get Equalizer APO to boost it no matter what.

I have Sound Blaster ZxR and X-Fi Titanium HD sound cards (not in the same machine) and an ODAC+O2. Motherboard audio sucks, even on my super good motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Hero). I have no idea how far the Cayin C5 audio pot is because it doesn't show numbers... I just set it to the point that I like listening.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #4,378 of 12,991

I have Sound Blaster ZxR and X-Fi Titanium HD sound cards (not in the same machine) and an ODAC+O2. Motherboard audio sucks, even on my super good motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Hero). I have no idea how far the Cayin C5 audio pot is because it doesn't show numbers... I just set it to the point that I like listening.

Forreal? You must have some super old version. On the side with the charger light, right up at the pot there's a little slit. Look down in it, goes from off to 9. If yours doesn't have that, I'm beat haha. 

I could set it at the point I like listening.. I just fear it's going to have some ill effects. I've never had the opportunity to mess with this sort of stuff before or be around anybody else who does, so I don't exactly know the realm of safety. 
Believe it or not, I was getting the same loudness and quality from HD out and Mobo out when going in to the C5 - the difference is only after Equalizer beefs up the HD Out. Both can get very loud, just lack of bass without EQ. I might try some FOOBAR

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,379 of 12,991

Forreal? You must have some super old version. On the side with the charger light, right up at the pot there's a little slit. Look down in it, goes from off to 9. If yours doesn't have that, I'm beat haha. 

I could set it at the point I like listening.. I just fear it's going to have some ill effects. I've never had the opportunity to mess with this sort of stuff before or be around anybody else who does, so I don't exactly know the realm of safety. 
Believe it or not, I was getting the same loudness and quality from HD out and Mobo out when going in to the C5 - the difference is only after Equalizer beefs up the HD Out. Both can get very loud, just lack of bass without EQ. I might try some FOOBAR

Mine goes to 9 as well

Personal comfort level is where the dial should be. I never get past 6 on high gain with bass boost on my SZ because the bass eq is so high

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #4,380 of 12,991
If you are going for the best there are three headphones in my head:

1. For quantity: LCD-X/C
The LCD-X and XC are probably the thickest lowend headphones available. The warmth and enveloping nature of the ortho drivers give way to the biggest bass booms I have ever heard. If you want full isolation and huge amounts of bass pressure (for electronic music especially), go with the LCD-XC

2. For natural ease: MrSpeakers Ether
I had the chance to try out a pair of Ethers at Canjam last week and although they were not the best headphones ever, they sounded the most natural and had the most separated and enjoyable mid to low end I had ever heard, not to say that the highs weren't amazing. One could clearly pick out the location of a kick drum or bass guitar, and impact/decays of high fidelity ambient music made me feel like I was in a cave during an earthquake. Next headphones I will buy will be Ethers.

3. For precision: HifiMan HE-1000
Do you like hearing a kickdrum for exactly what it is? Rather than compressing your head like the LCD-XC or placing you amidst the explosions like the Ether, the HE-1000 almost over analyzes bass. A bit rolled off sounding near 50hz, but that is not to say you cannot hear 30hz clearly. 30hz Actually sounds like a note from an instrument, like a 50 foot tall piano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back