The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 23, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #4,381 of 12,991
  If you are going for the best there are three headphones in my head:

1. For quantity: LCD-X/C
The LCD-X and XC are probably the thickest lowend headphones available. The warmth and enveloping nature of the ortho drivers give way to the biggest bass booms I have ever heard. If you want full isolation and huge amounts of bass pressure (for electronic music especially), go with the LCD-XC
2. For natural ease: MrSpeakers Ether
I had the chance to try out a pair of Ethers at Canjam last week and although they were not the best headphones ever, they sounded the most natural and had the most separated and enjoyable mid to low end I had ever heard, not to say that the highs weren't amazing. One could clearly pick out the location of a kick drum or bass guitar, and impact/decays of high fidelity ambient music made me feel like I was in a cave during an earthquake. Next headphones I will buy will be Ethers.

3. For precision: HifiMan HE-1000
Do you like hearing a kickdrum for exactly what it is? Rather than compressing your head like the LCD-XC or placing you amidst the explosions like the Ether, the HE-1000 almost over analyzes bass. A bit rolled off sounding near 50hz, but that is not to say you cannot hear 30hz clearly. 30hz Actually sounds like a note from an instrument, like a 50 foot tall piano.

Thanks for the input but the thread title is pretty clear.

Orthos do a lot well to excellent. Bass impact that slaps the side of your face is not one.  They were not designed for bassheads so nobody is worried about it.

So yeah...wrong thread
Enjoy your nice cans
beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #4,382 of 12,991
I'm listening to the Nighthawks right now. After 1 minute of listening, I started to exercise them because I felt they could very well reach basshead levels. 

They absolutely can. They come with some extremely comfortable earpads that are surely soaking up some of the bass, but with plenty of EQ I can get them shake my head.

I've only been listening to them for about 10 minutes, and they say that you should break them in for quite a while, so I'll wait for quite a while before giving real impressions, and even longer before posting a full review on Basshead.Club.

They have similar extension to my Fostex TH-600, but it feels a little less pronounced because of the earpads. These are some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head, outdone perhaps only by the Sennheiser G4me Zero.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #4,383 of 12,991

Thanks for the input but the thread title is pretty clear.

Orthos do a lot well to excellent. Bass impact that slaps the side of your face is not one.  They were not designed for bassheads so nobody is worried about it.

So yeah...wrong thread
Enjoy your nice cans
beerchug.gif

Have you ever tried LCD-XC? With a good amplifier the bass density is huge.

I agree that with the open backed headphones I included, I wasn't exactly addressing the point of the post, but rather what my interpretation of the title was. Best bass meaning thickest, most realistic, and most clear bass, while not sacrificing the amount.

But yeah, maybe I should have just posted Dre Beats or whatever.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #4,384 of 12,991
  I'm listening to the Nighthawks right now. After 1 minute of listening, I started to exercise them because I felt they could very well reach basshead levels. 

They absolutely can. They come with some extremely comfortable earpads that are surely soaking up some of the bass, but with plenty of EQ I can get them shake my head.

I've only been listening to them for about 10 minutes, and they say that you should break them in for quite a while, so I'll wait for quite a while before giving real impressions, and even longer before posting a full review on Basshead.Club.

They have similar extension to my Fostex TH-600, but it feels a little less pronounced because of the earpads. These are some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head, outdone perhaps only by the Sennheiser G4me Zero.

I listened to them twice and fed the typical basshead test  (Wiz  from X5/C5 ) stuff and found them to be quite able in the sub-bass but the soft pads eat up a lot of that punch. I was thinking they were below the TH600 but above the Vmoda m100.

If you can do a paper test with the Wiz song...1/2 an A4...we may have a new member to the Top 10 list.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #4,386 of 12,991
Hmm. At this point in time - I'm going to have to say it's not worth it to run S2K's out of just a computer in to the C5. Even with software, the slam doesn't seem to be there. Maybe a good soundcard fixes this - sadly I do not know. 

Here's to hopes I get a good source sometime soon. I've tried 4 equalizers off the playstore for my ****ty phone - they don't do jack and are full of bloatware. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #4,387 of 12,991
  Hmm. At this point in time - I'm going to have to say it's not worth it to run S2K's out of just a computer in to the C5. Even with software, the slam doesn't seem to be there. Maybe a good soundcard fixes this - sadly I do not know. 

Here's to hopes I get a good source sometime soon. I've tried 4 equalizers off the playstore for my ****ty phone - they don't do jack and are full of bloatware. 

FWIW
 I have never used a PC as a source and no tests were ever done with one.
Some folks do alright with the PC but I never could so I stopped trying.

This is a droid to a C5 to an SZ ( rooted with V4A) so it does slam with a droid and C5 but the V4A is having a lot to do with that.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #4,388 of 12,991
My little open back planars have huge subbass when fed with proper power.  The soft earpads vibrate your face nicely, along with the sweet deep bass.  But yea, unless I change the ear pads to something less comfortable, I won't get the impact that is demonstrated in this bass thread.  I've tried the paper test and the results were the same as the Audeze video above.  There is no way for me to prove the level of sub bass that I hear and feel, with the earpads that com stock with my headphones.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #4,389 of 12,991
 I listened to them twice and fed the typical basshead test  (Wiz  from X5/C5 ) stuff and found them to be quite able in the sub-bass but the soft pads eat up a lot of that punch. I was thinking they were below the TH600 but above the Vmoda m100.

If you can do a paper test with the Wiz song...1/2 an A4...we may have a new member to the Top 10 list.

I have them for 3 months and they suggested I break them in for 150 hours before they'll reach their full potential. I'll do the test after that point for sure.

Your subjective ranking is right around where I'm feeling them right now. Perhaps a bit less than the Audio-Technica WS99/Pro700Mk2, a bit more than the V-Moda M100. I don't own either anymore, so I can't be sure. I can directly compare them to the Fostex TH600, though.

I was expecting these to sound very veiled it dark based on impressions from others, but those people are on something. Then again, I don't hear a veil on the Sennheiser HD650 either.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #4,390 of 12,991
hey, im not new here but i am a new member of this forum. firstly, i cant speak english very well so sorry for grammar mistakes. And yeah i have a question i'll probably buy fiio x3 2nd gen mp3 player and i'll buy a headphones too but i cant decide between jvc ha-sz2000 vs v-moda m-100. i listen deep and bassy electronic musics sometimes dubstep btw. what do you guys think? and when i am buy this mp3 player am i need other portable amp. ? thanks! ^^ ( btw you can propose me other headphones and mp3 player, i select them bcz they are 250$ and they are best hp's what i am lookin for)

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,392 of 12,991
hey, im not new here but i am a new member of this forum. firstly, i cant speak english very well so sorry for grammar mistakes. And yeah i have a question i'll probably buy fiio x3 2nd gen mp3 player and i'll buy a headphones too but i cant decide between jvc ha-sz2000 vs v-moda m-100. i listen deep and bassy electronic musics sometimes dubstep btw. what do you guys think? and when i am buy this mp3 player am i need other portable amp. ? thanks! ^^ ( btw you can propose me other headphones and mp3 player, i select them bcz they are 250$ and they are best hp's what i am lookin for)

SZ are very user intensive headphones. You need to change the pads you need to use a strong amp and you need to have an EQ that has sub-bass adjustability and you should be comfortable with an EQ

I am a basshead. I use and choose the SZ. Car Audio folks seem to the happiest clique of SZ owners (like me).

The Vmoda would be a much easier choice. Pair that with a Cayin C5 and iBasso DX90
I own an X5 and the navigation system is pretty bad. The Dx90 is touchscreen. Your life will be easier.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #4,393 of 12,991

If you wantI a headphone you can wear while walking around town, grab the V-Moda. The JVC are huge and don't fold up nicely. If you don't want to use EQ, grab the V-Moda. The JVC needs EQ to sound good.

If you want the biggest bass of any headphone ever, want to listen at your house or work, and can use an equalizer and amp, get the JVC SZ2000.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #4,395 of 12,991
I would greatly appreciate some help to choose bass headphones for me.

I have read about 30% of this thread, but did not find an answer.

What I need:
- (obviously) closed cans
- price $500-900 (as I also need decent mids, highs, stage, details, clarity which cheap cans cannot give me)
- these headphones must be basshead enough WITHOUT eq (equalizer)

So Fostex -TH-900 and LCD are too expensive.
J.V.C SZ are too cheap - sorry I am not a true hardcore basshead yet
biggrin.gif

Which leaves me with Fostex -TH-600? Right?

But the point is I listen to my cans using player HifiMan HM-901 which is WITHOUT eq (equalizer)
Do Fostex -TH-600 have enough bass without equalizer?

Or Ultrasone - Signature DJ are bassier without eq?

*Hawaiibadboy, great job you are doing here! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back