The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 10, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #4,336 of 12,991
You're looking for something warm and bass-heavy with rolled off highs if you enjoy the Xiaomi Piston 2 (frequency response graph). What price range? Portable or home? Closed (makes it so you can't hear outside the headphones as much) or Open (you can hear people and they can hear your music if it's loud)? Most headphones with a similar signature are going to be Closed, fyi.

If you're looking for probably the best headphones that sound roughly like those and can spare a lot of money (~$500) to get them, look at the Shure 1540 (frequency response graph). Dropping down to a more realistic budget (~$180 wired, ~$260 wireless), the Beats Solo 2 (frequency response graph) are similar and are about the only Beats I've heard that don't suck. On-ear, the V-Moda XS are pretty similar (frequency response graph).

I'd recommend the Sol Master tracks over beats. They're on sale now too. They have really nice and tight bass with a great sonic balance. Really gives your music an emersive feel. Soundstage is pretty amazing
I know the new beats studio bogs and rattles with amp and the Solo 2 is too shrill for my taste.
Beats really needs to get their stuff together on the studios. $300 headphones should be able to handle amp.

Interesting thing I saw about Sol Republic is that 2/3 of the founders worked for Monster

Edit: These are also pretty good for gaming. Played Assasins Creed with them today and the sound was realy detailed. Combat was also good. Could feel the gunfire

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #4,337 of 12,991
  If I swap the pads on SZ2000 and connect it to a powerful amp, would it sound good then if I don not EQ it ?

The SZ

Pads will get the driver off your ******* ear.
That's the 1st thing

2nd....

A parametric eq that will lift the sub bass is essential

Because..

The 2nd driver is double chambered

(allow me to insert here that outside of the epic T1 T5 and versions of that gorgeous Beyer driver ) there is nothing as amazing as this Acoustic science kit on your head. It really is a genuine Kelton method.

JVC totally failed...or did they? They said they were trying to create what The Sony Z7 and Nighthawk designers aimed at....years later...a floor speaker sound through headphones.

I think they nailed that. Keep in mind that 95+% of folks do not time correct or proper position their hi-fi room system based on size/volume acoustic properties of walls and objects in the room. That takes a pro or a hobbiest with time and software and patience.

I have subwoofers under my floor installed when the flooring was changed and have an epic system but ...I got neighbors.

The interview with the SZ designers was a kinda Japanese view of not bothering those around you with a house system and instead putting it on your head.

The weak spot is the fact that the double chamber that is filtering out higher freq's is dropping the dB output of the very freq's it's supposed to put out. The hardest hitting cans on the market come stock with a recessed sub bass
confused.gif

I dunno if they assumed everybody has big amps but the SZ were designed to eat juice. If 16 Ohm was ever a misleading spec for amateurs it is right here. Put these on an iphone without an amp?...no ******* way. Horrible. Pair it with a Cayin C5 and a proper eq and a new set of pads and it really is like being in a club.

There is no such thing as texture to a 35Hz note. There is a relationship between the driver and it's surroundings. Size and material just like a full sized room. The M-Audio Q40 are an example of perfection in that ......crippled by bad Q.C.

The SZ are crippled by asking Joe P consumer to bend over backwards to get what the designers apparently heard without sharing cuz we are all ******* geniuses.

This is basshead thread.

The SZ don't need your help.....your help needs the SZ

Chuck knows wuz up

Audible distortion reached then dialed back a pinch...tuned over ear and then do this.

You gotta experience that to get hooked on it.

Help your SZ help you.

/rant

*drops mic*

(goes to eat a sandwich with extra mayo....a meatball sandwich)

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #4,338 of 12,991

You're looking for something warm and bass-heavy with rolled off highs if you enjoy the Xiaomi Piston 2 (frequency response graph). What price range? Portable or home? Closed (makes it so you can't hear outside the headphones as much) or Open (you can hear people and they can hear your music if it's loud)? Most headphones with a similar signature are going to be Closed, fyi.

If you're looking for probably the best headphones that sound roughly like those and can spare a lot of money (~$500) to get them, look at the Shure 1540 (frequency response graph). Dropping down to a more realistic budget (~$180 wired, ~$260 wireless), the Beats Solo 2 (frequency response graph) are similar and are about the only Beats I've heard that don't suck. On-ear, the V-Moda XS are pretty similar (frequency response graph).

I was mainly looking for over-ear closed backs. Is there anything a bit cheaper than the 1540 lol.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #4,342 of 12,991
I'm going to compile a list of some of the best bass test tracks over at Basshead.Club. If you have any you love using to test bass--especially sub-bass--please link me and I'll get them compiled. It'll be nice to have a spot where you can just go play a bunch of tracks on a page instead of searching through the threads. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #4,343 of 12,991
  I'm going to compile a list of some of the best bass test tracks over at Basshead.Club. If you have any you love using to test bass--especially sub-bass--please link me and I'll get them compiled. It'll be nice to have a spot where you can just go play a bunch of tracks on a page instead of searching through the threads. Thanks!

I will make 5 submissions (25, 35,45,55 and 65 Hz) will all be represented in this list.

This track is aptly titled.

It's also step 1 of 5 steps through the effective bass realm as it relates to buzz and hammer.

As we enter into the early stages of the human audible freq range and bridge the I can feel that to the I can hear that

Dead Prez - "Hip Hop"
 ​

One of the greatest Hip Hop vids ever made.​
COINTELPRO was formed to crush just this kind of thing.​
J Edgar Hoover would not be amused
very_evil_smiley.gif
 ​

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #4,344 of 12,991
I will make 5 submissions (25, 35,45,55 and 65 Hz) will all be represented in this list.

This track is aptly titled.

It's also step 1 of 5 steps through the effective bass realm as it relates to buzz and hammer.

As we enter into the early stages of the human audible freq range and bridge the I can feel that to the I can hear that

Dead Prez - "Hip Hop"
 ​
One of the greatest Hip Hop vids ever made.​
COINTELPRO was formed to crush just this kind of thing.​
J Edgar Hoover would not be amused
very_evil_smiley.gif
 ​

Nice old school bassline tune @HBB

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #4,345 of 12,991
Step 2 (35Hz)

Money Trees
 ​
/img/vimeo_logo.png​
Genius vid (not authorized but not removed either :wink: )​
Kendrick Lamar ft Jay Rock, Hook by Anna Wise​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

"steal your watch and tell you what time it is
Take your J's and tell you to kick it

where a FootLocker is...
In the streets with a heater under my Dungarees
Dreams of me getting shaded under a money tree"

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #4,346 of 12,991
For clean, but highly defined and ever-present bass, I would say Lawton LA-7000 and the JVC DX1000s. 

For consumer-grade, the special edition black-on-black Beats by Dre were pretty legit. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #4,347 of 12,991
For clean, but highly defined and ever-present bass, I would say Lawton LA-7000 and the JVC DX1000s. 

For consumer-grade, the special edition black-on-black Beats by Dre were pretty legit. 

Good suggestions.

The Lawton damping mods specifically target bass to reduce shaking and the earpads are softer and absorb more impact. They'll still hit hard, but if you're after bass, you're better off without the mods. Also, the Fostex TH600/900 are on the list and are a lot easier to get (though the 600 are discontinued and are getting scarce new), and they're the refined version of the old Denons.

I haven't heard the JVC DX1000.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,348 of 12,991
Good suggestions.

The Lawton damping mods specifically target bass to reduce shaking and the earpads are softer and absorb more impact. They'll still hit hard, but if you're after bass, you're better off without the mods. Also, the Fostex TH600/900 are on the list and are a lot easier to get (though the 600 are discontinued and are getting scarce new), and they're the refined version of the old Denons.

I haven't heard the JVC DX1000.

Sexy as hell and huge.

I might grab them someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back