The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,231 of 12,991
lol yeah I should have listened. the "hype" of the ultrasone pro 900 pulled me in.  As far as an amp set up ive got the Schiit Mangi and an actual physical 9 band EQ that I use to boost the bass and mids and treble to my desired liking.. it seems to work really well and I can crank the bass up all the way with no distortion.  I wanted a good all arounder that was heavy with bass and amped and eq'd I do enjoy the M100's. I am very anxious to get the SZ2000's

In form factor, the SZ2000's are like tanks compared to the M-100's, but that's because of the Kelton method subwoofer system that is so effective under EQ taking up physical space in chambers within each earcup.

I've a feeling you may well like the SZ2000's - especially after a pad change and you find your preferred EQ settings, but the M-100's are hard to beat for build quality and ease of portability - just stunning.

And at the risk of sounding like a stuck record
*Signature DJ*

:D

i have the chord hugo and use iPod touch as a player connected to chord so I guess i have to use the eq in the iPod touch i use equ pro app to play my music

some of my folks at the audeze lcd thread are convincing me that audeze has lots of bass and I think they are not taking it lightly that i am venturing form audeze to basshead territory

I've the AUDEZE LCD-X which are great and do respond quite well to upping the bass EQ, but are nothing like the likes of SZ2000/1000.

Another comment on another thread was recently made that regarded the LCD-2.2 as able to "smash faces apart" regarding their ability when heavy bass EQ'd, and same poster regarded the SZ2000 as "controversial" and didn't get what they were all about, or words very similar, which I found incredible to read.

Whilst I don't own the LCD-2.2's to give opinion on, I do own the SZ2000 and under bass EQ if you don't get the head vibrating subterranean earth shaking bass that assaults your head at that point, then you never will, so I find it interesting that you are looking to other cans outside of your LCD-2's for the kind of bass you are looking for and I think that if you do decide upon either the SZ2000 or SZ1000 and can EQ the bass enough, you will certainly find for what it is you search, as it would also be interesting to hear your own comparisons between either of those cans and your LCD-2 for sure :wink:

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,232 of 12,991
In form factor, the SZ2000's are like tanks compared to the M-100's, but that's because of the Kelton method subwoofer system that is so effective under EQ taking up physical space in chambers within each earcup.

I've a feeling you may well like the SZ2000's - especially after a pad change and you find your preferred EQ settings, but the M-100's are hard to beat for build quality and ease of portability - just stunning.

And at the risk of sounding like a stuck record
*Signature DJ*

biggrin.gif

I've the AUDEZE LCD-X which are great and do respond quite well to upping the bass EQ, but are nothing like the likes of SZ2000/1000.

Another comment on another thread was recently made that regarded the LCD-2.2 as able to "smash faces apart" regarding their ability when heavy bass EQ'd, and same poster regarded the SZ2000 as "controversial" and didn't get what they were all about, or words very similar, which I found incredible to read.

Whilst I don't own the LCD-2.2's to give opinion on, I do own the SZ2000 and under bass EQ if you don't get the head vibrating subterranean earth shaking bass that assaults your head at that point, then you never will, so I find it interesting that you are looking to other cans outside of your LCD-2's for the kind of bass you are looking for and I think that if you do decide upon either the SZ2000 or SZ1000 and can EQ the bass enough, you will certainly find for what it is you search, as it would also be interesting to hear your own comparisons between either of those cans and your LCD-2 for sure
wink.gif

since i am ordering the jvc sz2000 which are the best pads price is open so i want the best pads and i prefer thick big pads to cover all my ear ( i have medium size ears ) so i wish for all around ear and not on ear , do the alpha dog pads fit and how are they with the jvc

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,233 of 12,991
since i am ordering the jvc sz2000 which are the best pads price is open so i want the best pads and i prefer thick big pads to cover all my ear ( i have medium size ears ) so i wish for all around ear and not on ear , do the alpha dog pads fit and how are they with the jvc

I use the pads off the JVC MR77X which you've got to harvest off those cans as I don't think JVC sell pads separately - HBB recommended checking ebay for anyone selling broken cans selling for spare parts - you can also use pads off the MR55X as well apparently.

If you check very recent back posts there has been a wealth of discussion on pads you can buy individually, to give you an idea of what options there is and how different pads effect SQ, isolation etc

Lots of good pad change info from this starting point:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/1170#post_10708527

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,234 of 12,991
Thanks for the recommendations fellas. As suggested, I've ended up ordering the V-Moda XS! I think they strike an ideal balance of portability, durability, and bass unamped. I got a chance to listen to them in-store and was very satisfied. I wasn't really ever looking for cannons although one day I may be open to the prospect, I just wanted headphones that represent the bass range completely and prominently (which I find so few headphones aren't capable of). Although, I did never get a chance to listen to the Momentum On-Ears which was my other likely choice. I'll report back when I receive them!

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,235 of 12,991
Thanks for the recommendations fellas. As suggested, I've ended up ordering the V-Moda XS! I think they strike an ideal balance of portability, durability, and bass unamped. I got a chance to listen to them in-store and was very satisfied. I wasn't really ever looking for cannons although one day I may be open to the prospect, I just wanted headphones that represent the bass range completely and prominently (which I find so few headphones aren't capable of). Although, I did never get a chance to listen to the Momentum On-Ears which was my other likely choice. I'll report back when I receive them!

Congrats on your new headphone purchase :)

V-MODA make some of the most beautiful and well engineered headphones with fun sound signatures with the new XS being one of their finest if not most portable and convenient sleek headphone currently available .

Excellent choice in general, though as you state - not exactly a basshead cannon :wink:

What colour did you choose?

Here's mine:

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #1,236 of 12,991
a lot of the old cans from the 70's have ridiculously large drivers... But 89mm? Biggest I've seen from one. The only thing that's sad is that a lot of them use paper cone diaphragms, which are known for their terrible bass and treble extension. The brands that are popular today used different diaphragm materials than paper, or used a different driver type like electrostatic and orthodynamic. AKG, Sennheiser, Stax, and Koss are just a few. (koss maybe not so much.)

Good info young Dubs, I guess the bass/paper test will reveal just how sound the sound of the 70's was 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,237 of 12,991
  i have the chord hugo and use iPod touch as a player connected to chord so I guess i have to use the eq in the iPod touch i use equ pro app to play my music

some of my folks at the audeze lcd thread are convincing me that audeze has lots of bass and I think they are not taking it lightly that i am venturing form audeze to basshead territory

Whatever you do do NOT draw them into this thread. They have their spot and we have ours. gelocks owns LCD XC and cb owns an LCD. Neither has ever suggested one be placed on a best bass list. I am a JVC fanboy and seeing somebody not get desired results because they are not following proven setups is frustrating. If the LCD crowd is hammering you then that's part of the package of $1000+ cans....you get lots of "support".
Your eq would need to reach into the 30Hz realm or the sz would be pointless. If you CAN eq deep into the sub-bass then....it's an option

The HD7DJ need to be on this list  *confused.*
confused.gif

You own them?
Test them.
Yamaha dude tested his using identical parameters.
Suggestions are of no value. This is not a list by committee. Other threads have tried and failed at the make everybody happy thing. The HD8 barely made the list and some others who own it have not suggested it be on the list. If you can show us that would be great!! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,238 of 12,991
Possible candidates for the bass/paper test:

Takstar HD6000 DJ Headphones (53mm drivers)

SoundMagic HP100 Headphones (53mm drivers)

Any owners out there - feel free to drop a bass/paper test video :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,239 of 12,991
 ​
When a gif fits a post...it's a beautiful thing​
and a good start
wink.gif

I surf.
I'm from Hawaii
You gotta get in-front of that wave to ride it.
If you're riding that  wave .....you're on the front of it.

Cool.

Paddling on the back of a wave is  ....it sucks.
It rolls under you....you missed it....it sucks.

About that thing...ya know that thing.

.​
 ​

Who cares?

( I could get that...would wonder why you're in the thread but I can get that)

The "variable"....ya know...the human and how it effects this whole thing?

(I could get that too. That applies to everything including more traditional evaluation/observation techniques too)

Aside from that:
Who cares.
&
Human variable

You lost me.
confused.gif

That's bass.
That paper.
It's an object light enough to measure the air pressure change in the cup and sense the vibration being caused by the driver's diaphragm. It's not perfect but nothing is.
That video shows me something more.
I never really noticed.
I knew but wasn't comparing.

Not only is it showing bass response it is clearly reflecting the cycles in a more accurate way than I imagined.

60Hz (60 cycles in a second)<<<That would look tight and fast....it does.

41Hz (That would look less tight as the paper has more time between cycles..and it shows)

37Hz (That would be a flap that lets you see the point where the paper is flexing and it would flap/flutter....and it does.

This is fun. And it also can be a good indicator of bass impact. If the settings are shared and as in me and cb's case (hardware matching) the results should be the same.

If your still scratching your head or not getting something I don't know what to say.

Surfing is fun. Feeling the wave roll under you as you realize you missed it is not so much fun. If you don't get that you didn't get the video either so no worries.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,240 of 12,991
When a gif fits a post...it's a beautiful thing​
and a good start:wink:

I surf.
I'm from Hawaii
You gotta get in-front of that wave to ride it.
If you're riding that  wave .....you're on the front of it.

Cool.

Paddling on the back of a wave is  ....it sucks.
It rolls under you....you missed it....it sucks.

About that thing...ya know that thing.

.​

Who cares?

( I could get that...would wonder why you're in the thread but I can get that)

The "variable"....ya know...the human and how it effects this whole thing?

(I could get that too. That applies to everything including more traditional evaluation/observation techniques too)

Aside from that:
Who cares.
&
Human variable

You lost me.:confused:

That's bass.
That paper.
It's an object light enough to measure the air pressure change in the cup and sense the vibration being caused by the driver's diaphragm. It's not perfect but nothing is.
That video shows me something more.
I never really noticed.
I knew but wasn't comparing.

Not only is it showing bass response it is clearly reflecting the cycles in a more accurate way than I imagined.

60Hz (60 cycles in a second)<<
41Hz (That would look less tight as the paper has more time between cycles..and it shows)

37Hz (That would be a flap that lets you see the point where the paper is flexing and it would flap/flutter....and it does.

This is fun. And it also can be a good indicator of bass impact. If the settings are shared and as in me and cb's case (hardware matching) the results should be the same.

If your still scratching your head or not getting something I don't know what to say.

Surfing is fun. Feeling the wave roll under you as you realize you missed it is not so much fun. If you don't get that you didn't get the video either so no worries.

Good visual of the visual bass/paper test.

Like the surfing addition into your equation as the fun element of the test - cos it's a big part of the test for me.

However, there's one danger of surfing that needs to be added into this equation - sharks - those mo fo's are always looking to drag a surfer under for an easy meal, but usually if you surf at the right time of day - should be ok :wink:

Cool informative video for sure - thanks for taking the time and effort :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,241 of 12,991
cb just wondering if you had ever auditioned the denon d series line specifically the denon d2000 they look as if they hit quite hard any input would be much appreciated as I am looking to buy a pair soon, also had a look at the th600 and th900 and they look similar to the denon's do any of those hit hard or distort at all as I am itching to buy some more headphones, really wish the sony xb line brings out a new flagship or jvc brings out a new z series headphone with 70mm carbon nano and an additional 45mm subwoofer and that honestly for me would be end game.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,242 of 12,991
cb just wondering if you had ever auditioned the denon d series line specifically the denon d2000 they look as if they hit quite hard any input would be much appreciated as I am looking to buy a pair soon, also had a look at the th600 and th900 and they look similar to the denon's do any of those hit hard or distort at all as I am itching to buy some more headphones, really wish the sony xb line brings out a new flagship or jvc brings out a new z series headphone with 70mm carbon nano and an additional 45mm subwoofer and that honestly for me would be end game.
... 70mm subwoofer... The sz2k already get louder than the threshold for pain, and it can do that with bass no less. I'm not so sure the xb1000 would be the king of bass even if the pads weren't absorbing impact. The SZ2000 have more driver surface area. 85mm, with 55mm's of that solely focused on bass, vs 70mm in the xb1000 that has to produce all the frequencies, plus no brass housing. Just my thoughts. Maybe there is a pad that fits the xb1000 that isn't like a truck tire so we can put this theory to rest? I know hbb said the xb1000 might be the king if not for the pads... But sz2k has a brass chamber, carbon nanotube.
Warning-ScienceAhead.png
"Nanotubes are members of the fullerene structural family. Their name is derived from their long, hollow structure with the walls formed by one-atom-thick sheets of carbon, called graphene. These sheets are rolled at specific and discrete ("chiral") angles, and the combination of the rolling angle and radius decides the nanotube properties" that's crazy. One atom thick. That's unimaginably thin. "Carbon nanotubes are the strongest and stiffest materials yet discovered in terms of tensile strength and elastic modulus respectively. This strength results from the covalent sp2 bonds formed between the individual carbon atoms. In 2000, a multi-walled carbon nanotube was tested to have a tensile strength of 63 gigapascals (GPa).[38] (For illustration, this translates into the ability to endure tension of a weight equivalent to 6422 kg (14,158 lbs) on a cable with cross-section of 1 mm2.) Further studies, such as one conducted in 2008, revealed that individual CNT shells have strengths of up to ~100 GPa, which is in agreement with quantum/atomistic models.[39] Since carbon nanotubes have a low density for a solid of 1.3 to 1.4 g/cm3,[40] its specific strength of up to 48,000 kN·m·kg−1 is the best of known materials, compared to high-carbon steel's 154 kN·m·kg−1." A multi-walled cnt can support over 14,000 pounds. That's absolutely insane. Cnt should be used in more headphones. It obviously is probably the lightest material you could ever use for a diaphragm that can resist extreme tension, since it a rolled 1 atom thick sheet. And it even says individual cnt's can withstand up to 100 gPa, so I'm guessing the multi-walled cnt wasn't tested to its max. "The bulk modulus of superhard phase nanotubes is 462 to 546 GPa, even higher than that of diamond (420 GPa for single diamond crystal)" "The bulk modulus (K or B) of a substance measures the substance's resistance to uniform compression. It is defined as the ratio of the infinitesimal pressure increase to the resulting relative decrease of the volume. Its SI unit is the pascal, and its dimensional form is M1L−1T−2" case rested.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,243 of 12,991

I've not auditioned any of the Denon d series cans but do own both FOSTEX models you refer to which are a big no regarding any expectations of heavy bass slam like your Yamaha Pro 500's. Think high quality over quantity on the TH600/900's and that's what they deliver.

Have you had a look at the 53mm Takstar and a Soundmagic cans I've posted above?

Don't know for sure if they are hard hitters or not, but they look as though they have good potential, especially the Takstar's.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,244 of 12,991
DisCHORDDubstep

Copy of post I made recently regarding carbon nano tubes

I found a segment in this below documentary exploring the worlds strongest materials which covered the attributes and some current applications of carbon nanotubes, the material used to manufacturer the drivers in the SZ1000 and SZ2000 and also with many other models of headphones manufactured by JVC.

If you fast forward the below video to 26mins 35secs in from the start, a good insight to how carbon nanotubes are constructed and made up at the molecular level is shown, and just how an amazing material it is that JVC have utilised in addition to the Kelton method subwoofer system, into these two pretty special if not unique headphones :)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Vol63YL23sw[/VIDEO]​

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,245 of 12,991
DisCHORDDubstep

Copy of post I made recently regarding carbon nano tubes

I found a segment in this below documentary exploring the worlds strongest materials which covered the attributes and some current applications of carbon nanotubes, the material used to manufacturer the drivers in the SZ1000 and SZ2000 and also with many other models of headphones manufactured by JVC.

If you fast forward the below video to 26mins 35secs in from the start, a good insight to how carbon nanotubes are constructed and made up at the molecular level is shown, and just how an amazing material it is that JVC have utilised in addition to the Kelton method subwoofer system, into these two pretty special if not unique headphones :)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Vol63YL23sw[/VIDEO]​
nice. I didn't know you posted something on it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back