The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,006 of 12,975
SONY MDR-XB700
[VIDEO][VIDEO]http://youtu.be/N1lSPaGE5S0[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,007 of 12,975
SONY MDR-XB910
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/XE-waeJSHgE[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,008 of 12,975
The xb910 looks like it hits hard I have the xb900 and apparently it is the exact same headphone some people have speculated not sure if thats true or not, and those philips are another must buy also cant wait to see how they handle the bass.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,009 of 12,975
I have to revise my opinion on the ultrasone pro900. After some more listening they really start to sound extremely well. The bass is hard (does not rumble as much as the sz, but hits hard in a different way). The thing i like the most about the ultrasone is that you can listen at a high volume for a long time without your ears getting annoyed. I wish i could keep these cans as well, but i have to choose between the sz and the ultrasone cuz of my budget....hmm difficult :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,010 of 12,975
The xb910 looks like it hits hard I have the xb900 and apparently it is the exact same headphone some people have speculated not sure if thats true or not, and those philips are another must buy also cant wait to see how they handle the bass.

Yeah, SONY don't seem to keep model numbers the same for different regions for whatever reason, but I like my 910's despite the build quality been a bit plasticky compared to the prior generation of XB cans like the XB500,700 & 1000.

If the new Philips A5-Pro hit as hard as they look - then they will be a winner for sure - one thing that gives peace of mind is fact they use 50mm drivers and have removable cables :cool:

The JVC MR77X cans are great value cans and sport massive *edit* 59mm 57mm drivers but fall short of a credible DJ can IMO despite rotating earcups by the short straight fixed cable - at the very least, had JVC made the fixed cable a DJ friendly coiled type that flexes, it would have made a world of difference to an otherwise great can for its incredibly low outlay.

I've got great expectations for the Philips A5-Pro's also because of the calibre of the DJ who has been consulted and has collaborated in its design - namely, the trance master superstar DJ that is, Armin Van Buuren, who is also a accomplished producer in his own right :)

I've ordered my pair of A5-Pro's directly from Armin's own site and expect to receive them sometime in the middle of next week :) Big thanx 2 HBB for bringing these cans to my attention :wink:
I've big hopes for these cans for good reason as has already been posted and am buying blind due to my confidence in the manufacturer and the DJ who has collaborated to their sound and form of function - I hope I'm right in doing so as buying blind is not so something I'd usually ever recommend....
but this is "a state of trance" legend DJ that is Armin Van Buuren - so What could possibly go wrong - right :confused_face_2:
Fugg it - if anything turns out to be below par or expectations - I'll blame HBB - lol :D :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,011 of 12,975
I have to revise my opinion on the ultrasone pro900. After some more listening they really start to sound extremely well. The bass is hard (does not rumble as much as the sz, but hits hard in a different way). The thing i like the most about the ultrasone is that you can listen at a high volume for a long time without your ears getting annoyed. I wish i could keep these cans as well, but i have to choose between the sz and the ultrasone cuz of my budget....hmm difficult :wink:

How do you find the highs on the Pro 900's?

I've read some prior owners remark they found them too piercing, especially at high volume?

How do they fare on the bass/paper SPL test?

A video would be good to see :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,012 of 12,975
I have to revise my opinion on the ultrasone pro900. After some more listening they really start to sound extremely well. The bass is hard (does not rumble as much as the sz, but hits hard in a different way). The thing i like the most about the ultrasone is that you can listen at a high volume for a long time without your ears getting annoyed. I wish i could keep these cans as well, but i have to choose between the sz and the ultrasone cuz of my budget....hmm difficult
wink.gif

The Ultrasones have crazy good quality bass for the amount they churn out. Obviously, that amount isn't as much as the JVCs by simple mathematics because the surface area of a the smaller driver can't move similar amount of air but I've honestly never once heard them "called 'face melters' 'head smashers'" by anyone on head fi except in this own thread to bash them. Most of the recommendations on the Ultrasone thread and other head fi threads recommend the pro 900s as "king of bass" etc in terms of an audiophile sense where there's an assumption of at least some kind of rich, engaging highs and mids with the thumping lows and the pro 900 definitely provide that with the most amount of bass. Obviously, they are no match for the headphones discussed in this thread which have much larger diaphragms and drivers completely dedicated to the low end, but they really shouldn't be expected to be compared to things like even the skullcandy crushers. The pro 900 are just extremely bass/thumpy headphones with audiophile grade detail retrieval and musical engagement.

tl;dr: The pro 900s suck in bass quantity compared to the cans in this thread, but they probably pick up noticeably more detail even in a sea of bass they pump out.   

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,013 of 12,975
the pro 900 is an upgraded version of the q40's the bass is nice it has a full sound to it and it goes pretty low however if you amplify the headphones they will distort quickly believe me they are no basshead headphone they have what I call the SOFT bass experience it is not overly punchy and it does not shake or vibrate your head however the headphones themselves are a great listen and great sound quality but if your buying them thinking they are basshead they are not at all and I was disappointed with them myself as this is what people claimed these to be they called them monsters which they are not and while we are on this subject a lit of people call the dt770 pro80's monsters that hit hard and it is the same story again they are not the do not have a punch to them but there bass is really good and they do not distort until hitting about 90 percent amplification, if you like the pro 900's give the dt770 pro 80's a go. I have the sennheiser hd8 dj coming next week and will give feedback on its bass slam which I think there will be a lot off as they just look to deliver the killer punch hope i'm right as they cost me a pretty penny.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,014 of 12,975
the pro 900 is an upgraded version of the q40's the bass is nice it has a full sound to it and it goes pretty low however if you amplify the headphones they will distort quickly believe me they are no basshead headphone they have what I call the SOFT bass experience it is not overly punchy and it does not shake or vibrate your head however the headphones themselves are a great listen and great sound quality but if your buying them thinking they are basshead they are not at all and I was disappointed with them myself as this is what people claimed these to be they called them monsters which they are not and while we are on this subject a lit of people call the dt770 pro80's monsters that hit hard and it is the same story again they are not the do not have a punch to them but there bass is really good and they do not distort until hitting about 90 percent amplification, if you like the pro 900's give the dt770 pro 80's a go. I have the sennheiser hd8 dj coming next week and will give feedback on its bass slam which I think there will be a lot off as they just look to deliver the killer punch hope i'm right as they cost me a pretty penny.

Cool synopsis of the cans you mention (Pro 900 & Q40) :cool: which is pretty much in line with what HBB has remarked with albeit in his trade mark condensed style - lol :D

You mention you have the HD8 DJ's coming your way soon - I have these cans already - but am ashamed to say, I've hardly spent any time with them to give a coherent sound review of them - sorry guys - I really have too many cans and the HD8's have been neglected by me - but they deserve the time - why? - because they come from the legendary brand that brought the HD25 1 mk2 to the world over 25yrs ago which is a DJ institute of a can - and deservedly so - Sennheiser :L3000:

From my very small time I've had with them so far, I can say that they are very comfortable with metal build quality for durability and unlike the HD25 which although is a very good DJ can, it was never designed to be specifically for such application - the HD8 DJ, as the name clearly identifies - has been designed and made from the ground up as a DJ can specific application headphone.

Carry case is a little larger than you might expect but is hard shelled and comes very well accessorised with straight and coiled cables and extra set of pads included.

As for entry into the extreme bass club - I'm not so sure as drivers are 40mm only so are limited I guess under heavy bass EQ curve.

Nonetheless, I will add these cans to the bass/paper test and upload results very shortly :)

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,015 of 12,975
The Ultrasones have crazy good quality bass for the amount they churn out. Obviously, that amount isn't as much as the JVCs by simple mathematics because the surface area of a the smaller driver can't move similar amount of air but I've honestly never once heard them "called 'face melters' 'head smashers'" by anyone on head fi except in this own thread to bash them. Most of the recommendations on the Ultrasone thread and other head fi threads recommend the pro 900s as "king of bass" etc in terms of an audiophile sense where there's an assumption of at least some kind of rich, engaging highs and mids with the thumping lows and the pro 900 definitely provide that with the most amount of bass. Obviously, they are no match for the headphones discussed in this thread which have much larger diaphragms and drivers completely dedicated to the low end, but they really shouldn't be expected to be compared to things like even the skullcandy crushers. The pro 900 are just extremely bass/thumpy headphones with audiophile grade detail retrieval and musical engagement.

tl;dr: The pro 900s suck in bass quantity compared to the cans in this thread, but they probably pick up noticeably more detail even in a sea of bass they pump out.   

It sounds like the Pro900 fit along with the Signature DJ's in as much they both belong in a different category to this extreme bass one, and are more suited as audiophile basshead headphones, where such a specific attribute as level of bass slam is not a relevant factor.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,016 of 12,975
Ive also read about the piercing sound, and i really dont know what they are talking about. I dont hear that at all. I think the paper test is gonna suck on these. They dont hit hard but give hars bass. Its hard to discribe as ive never heard this kind of bass. I love listening to the ultrasones at high volume. Other headphones are fatigueing at high volume. These are not.
@cb what kind of work do you do because you seem rich as hell. You have every headphone there is lol

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,017 of 12,975
Ive also read about the piercing sound, and i really dont know what they are talking about. I dont hear that at all. I think the paper test is gonna suck on these. They dont hit hard but give hars bass. Its hard to discribe as ive never heard this kind of bass. I love listening to the ultrasones at high volume. Other headphones are fatigueing at high volume. These are not

Always good to hear an owners impressions.

I think now in retrospect, and after my Sig DJ bass/paper test, that a Pro 900 test video may well be redundant in relevancy to extreme EQ bass?

It's up to your good self as to whether you wish to make a test video of your Pro 900's, though it may prove to be of interest to any prospective 900 buyer whom is under the illusion that they are something that may have been wrongly described?

But I'm glad to hear you are appreciating your Pro 900's for what they are, and that their sound fits your ears, just like any headphone - different strokes for different folks :)

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,018 of 12,975
   never once heard them "called 'face melters' 'head smashers'" by anyone on head fi except in this own thread to bash them. Most of the recommendations on the Ultrasone thread and other head fi threads recommend the pro 900s as "king of bass" etc in terms of an audiophile sense where there's an assumption 

You want me to name the users who said OMG this bass is melting my face!!!...
Or the other one who said the Pro 900 is absolutely smashing my head in.....

You want me to "out" folks? They are both on my block list but I can name them to you. You're coming close to calling me a liar in that red part. I bash them because the hype is not the reality and a test would prove it. My Q40 experience was horrible..HORRIBLE and not unique

I respect your opinion but trust me when I say as a guy who hunts extreme bass and everyone knows it.... those cans were described to me in that exact way. Assumptions should not be made with other folks money...ever...IMO.

I'd like to see the sea of bass they pump out......please
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,019 of 12,975
Quote:
Yeah, SONY don't seem to keep model numbers the same for different regions for whatever reason, but I like my 910's despite the build quality been a bit plasticky compared to the prior generation of XB cans like the XB500,700 & 1000.

If the new Philips A5-Pro hit as hard as they look - then they will be a winner for sure - one thing that gives peace of mind is fact they use 50mm drivers and have removable cables
cool.gif

The JVC MR77X cans are great value cans and sport massive 59mm drivers but fall short of a credible DJ can IMO despite rotating earcups by the short straight fixed cable - at the very least, had JVC made the fixed cable a DJ friendly coiled type that flexes, it would have made a world of difference to an otherwise great can for its incredibly low outlay.

I've got great expectations for the Philips A5-Pro's also because of the calibre of the DJ who has been consulted and has collaborated in its design - namely, the trance master superstar DJ that is, Armin Van Buuren, who is also a accomplished producer in his own right
smily_headphones1.gif

I've ordered my pair of A5-Pro's directly from Armin's own site and expect to receive them sometime in the middle of next week
smily_headphones1.gif
Big thanx 2 HBB for bringing these cans to my attention
wink.gif

I've big hopes for these cans for good reason as has already been posted and am buying blind due to my confidence in the manufacturer and the DJ who has collaborated to their sound and form of function - I hope I'm right in doing so as buying blind is not so something I'd usually ever recommend....
but this is "a state of trance" legend DJ that is Armin Van Buuren - so What could possibly go wrong - right
confused_face_2.gif

Fugg it - if anything turns out to be below par or expectations - I'll blame HBB - lol
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Am totally not worried.
biggrin.gif
Hard to see you not falling in love with em. The multi pad config option in genius. the balance is amazing and it's DJ tuned. They look sweet and you can add a personal twist.

You like the music he plays/spins? These will probably do that in a way without peer right out the box cuz he battle tested em. 

Good times coming. Looking forward to your impressions

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,020 of 12,975
Am totally not worried.:D Hard to see you not falling in love with em. The multi pad config option in genius. the balance is amazing and it's DJ tuned. They look sweet and you can add a personal twist.

You like the music he plays/spins? These will probably do that in a way without peer right out the box cuz he battle tested em. 

Good times coming. Looking forward to your impressions

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked on these cans in anticipation already, and listen to a lot of hard trance, Tek House genre Armin Van Buuren plays, so its going to be interesting to hear how these cans are EQ tuned as essentially - these cans are custom sound signature curved for trance, by the worlds most renown trance DJ, which as a genre in itself, isn't exactly shy of bass :cool:

I love that quick draw from folded to open novelty trick too - that feature is just pure appealing to the big kid in all of us factor - lol - in the Miami press conference event it's hilarious that it ended with Armin pulling repeat snap open demo's of the cans to the press audience.

Man, my fanboy itch is scratching hard right now - I may have to beat myself with sticks prior to posting my first impressions of these handsome 50mm trance injected marvels in order to remove any over gushings - lol :D

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back