The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #12,542 of 12,992
He said he was a college student. There are no headphones can produce the bass of a sub like a JL, or even come close, period.
No. You won’t find that quote anywhere because when I was college aged I was in the music industry instead. Now, I work 70 hours a week in tech. I may not be a university student, but I am a lifelong learner. When I referenced visiting Stanford for work, it was for blockchain week.

Anyway, I agree. Nothing beats or matches subs. Regardless of the brand. However, there is a physical element of bass imaging that I hear from the VZR that I can’t seem to find in any direct firing cans. There is a very deep, very clean rumble I hear.

It’s not that other headphones don’t have depth or bass. It’s just that little extra physicality in the image that makes it sound so compelling to me that I lose my mind like I’m a kid again.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #12,543 of 12,992
No. You won’t find that quote anywhere because when I was college aged I was in the music industry instead. Now, I work 70 hours a week in tech. I may not be a university student, but I am a lifelong learner. When I referenced visiting Stanford for work, it was for blockchain week.

Anyway, I agree. Nothing beats or matches subs. Regardless of the brand. However, there is a physical element of bass imaging that I hear from the VZR that I can’t seem to find in any direct firing cans. There is a very deep, very clean rumble I hear.

It’s not that other headphones don’t have depth or bass. It’s just that little extra physicality in the image that makes it sound so compelling to me that I lose my mind like I’m a kid again.
Good for you, but doesnt really make any difference.

I found nothing special or particular good about the vzr one. If you think that the vzr one is good, thats fine but don't tell other people that they are wrong when they point out its faults stating it has "audiophile reference bass" when you can't even describe or indicate on a graph what that is.

The bass in that headphone its very boomy and muddy, its extremely lacking texture and detail. You should demo more headphones before telling everyone how good it is and comparing it to a JL sub. No one I know would consider that headphone to be an audiophile level anything.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #12,544 of 12,992
Looking at the only VZR One Frequency Response graph I could find on the internet, it's clear they are bassy.

I have modified it slightly by adding 2 lines showing the space of sound within a 10dB range.
Personally, I find that any deviation close to, or more than 10dB is about as far as you can get from a 'reference' tuning as it gets.

The VZR One is no exception - with OVER 10dB difference between loudest bass (80Hz) and quietest midrange (2kHz) - this is MASSIVE - these should never ever be used as studio headphones or described as 'reference'.

1670595237049.png

I can see why dougms3 finds them boomy - the huge peak at 300hz is on it's way to boom-town-central.
If that huge peak wasn't there, it might have been a different story - but this might depend greatly on the source material.

The huge peak at 6KHz could also be a cause for concern. That's the kind of tuning that CAN make vocals sound VERY thin.

Of course, I can't comment on the headphones themselves, since I've never heard them.
But I do have a LITTLE experience when it comes to measuring headphones and making FR graphs :wink:

If I had to guess from what I can see, they look like they might be HUGE buckets of fun....
Here's my JVC HA-DX1000 graph, overlayed over the VZR One graph (with axis adjusted to match)
1670595908309.png

Uhm... yeah... that looks familiar alright :D - DX1000 is only one of the most 'fun' headphones I've ever heard.... and the VZR One appears to come VERY close.
For context, DX1000 gives everything a very 'live' sound, with incredibly well crafted bass and soundstage - HUGE for a closed-back (physically too).
- it's also like marmite.. you either love it, or hate it :)

It seems VZR is going for something similar.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #12,545 of 12,992
Looking at the only VZR One Frequency Response graph I could find on the internet, it's clear they are bassy.

I have modified it slightly by adding 2 lines showing the space of sound within a 10dB range.
Personally, I find that any deviation close to, or more than 10dB is about as far as you can get from a 'reference' tuning as it gets.

The VZR One is no exception - with OVER 10dB difference between loudest bass (80Hz) and quietest midrange (2kHz) - this is MASSIVE - these should never ever be used as studio headphones or described as 'reference'.

1670595237049.png

I can see why dougms3 finds them boomy - the huge peak at 300hz is on it's way to boom-town-central.
If that huge peak wasn't there, it might have been a different story - but this might depend greatly on the source material.

The huge peak at 6KHz could also be a cause for concern. That's the kind of tuning that CAN make vocals sound VERY thin.

Of course, I can't comment on the headphones themselves, since I've never heard them.
But I do have a LITTLE experience when it comes to measuring headphones and making FR graphs :wink:

If I had to guess from what I can see, they look like they might be HUGE buckets of fun....
Here's my JVC HA-DX1000 graph, overlayed over the VZR One graph (with axis adjusted to match)
1670595908309.png
Uhm... yeah... that looks familiar alright :D - DX1000 is only one of the most 'fun' headphones I've ever heard.... and the VZR One appears to come VERY close.
For context, DX1000 gives everything a very 'live' sound, with incredibly well crafted bass and soundstage - HUGE for a closed-back (physically too).
- it's also like marmite.. you either love it, or hate it :)

It seems VZR is going for something similar.
You should buy them and listen to get an idea of what I mean when I say they're the worst headphones I've ever heard. Just return it if you don't like it.

I can't recall but I think it did sound thin in the treble region, I wasn't really paying much attention as the poor resolution and grain were grabbing most of my attention. Mids are also quite recessed. I find it amusing that whenever something doesn't meet audiophile level standards of sound quality, they market it as a "gaming" headphone, sounds like an apple marketing tactic to me.

I bought them thinking to mod them but they're not worth my time, too many problems to fix.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #12,546 of 12,992
You should buy them and listen to get an idea of what I mean when I say they're the worst headphones I've ever heard. Just return it if you don't like it.

I can't recall but I think it did sound thin in the treble region, I wasn't really paying much attention as the poor resolution and grain were grabbing most of my attention. Mids are also quite recessed. I find it amusing that whenever something doesn't meet audiophile level standards of sound quality, they market it as a "gaming" headphone, sounds like an apple marketing tactic to me.

I bought them thinking to mod them but they're not worth my time, too many problems to fix.
With no EU suppliers, it's an easy pass for me.
I've still got WAY too much on my plate already .... *nom nom nom*

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #12,547 of 12,992
You will not find a stronger bass headphone than the Skull Candy Crusher Evo. This thread didn't audiophile grade, but bass heavy. There is no headphone that hits harder than these, you can literally adjust the bass vent on the side. At full setting, it will vibrate the headphone on your head. Truly a comical and fun experience. For under $200, it's worth the laugh. And they sound decent.

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #12,548 of 12,992
You will not find a stronger bass headphone than the Skull Candy Crusher Evo. This thread didn't audiophile grade, but bass heavy. There is no headphone that hits harder than these, you can literally adjust the bass vent on the side. At full setting, it will vibrate the headphone on your head. Truly a comical and fun experience. For under $200, it's worth the laugh. And they sound decent.
Lol yea those are notorious for comical levels of bass.

Dec 9, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #12,549 of 12,992
I went down the rabbit hole last night until 3AM and started looking into higher end headphones. Initially I was skeptical about purchasing the D7200 for $900. Now I'm looking at the following:

D7200 - $900
D9200 - $1600
MDR-Z1R - $1800 - although this can be had for $1600 international version.
TH-900 - $1800

Please help me not waste my money lmao! I was very happy with the D2000s many years ago, and didn't like the LCD-X due to bass needing EQ. I'd be using the cans for pc gaming, electronic, and rap music.. and I am a basshead. The more the better.

Are there any stores in Dallas which would carry all these for trying out? Otherwise I'd be buying them all and returning the ones I don't want.. rather not do that.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #12,550 of 12,992
Lol yea those are notorious for comical levels of bass.
I'm glad someone knew what I was talking about lol. They are something special, even if only for fun.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #12,551 of 12,992
I went down the rabbit hole last night until 3AM and started looking into higher end headphones. Initially I was skeptical about purchasing the D7200 for $900. Now I'm looking at the following:

D7200 - $900
D9200 - $1600
TH-900 - $1800

Please help me not waste my money lmao! I was very happy with the D2000s many years ago, and didn't like the LCD-X due to bass needing EQ. I'd be using the cans for pc gaming, electronic, and rap music.. and I am a basshead. The more the better.

Are there any stores in Dallas which would carry all these for trying out? Otherwise I'd be buying them all and returning the ones I don't want.. rather not do that.
I am familiar with some of these, and I think you should definitely look at the Rosson RAD-0. They are a bit more expensive (new) than what you have listed here, but you can often get them used for $1.8-2K. They SLAM but also have the detail to go with it. Is it the highest detail ever? No, but that isn't what they are going for either. I often listen to trance, edm, and rap, and the RAD-0 are a go to besides my Atriums. Plus you can get them in a color you like, vs your set looking like everyone else's!

I also have the Fostex TH-900, and while many do like them, to me they sound a bit......thin. It's not that the bass is bad, I just don't find the sound they produce isn't natural sounding (sounds like engineered sound reproduction) to my ears. Others may have a different opinion.

Sony is kinda the same boat. IDK if it's just the way these two Japanese companies tune their headphones, but it wasn't something I reached for often.

I cannot comment on the Denon, but it seems like their focus is more home theater than headphones. Just my $0.02, which is worthless since I haven't tried them :smile:

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #12,552 of 12,992

D7200 - $900
D9200 - $1600
TH-900 - $1800

I haven't heard the Sony but the other three and own two of them still (7200 & 9200).

If you can't EQ, the D7200 has the most bass quantity vs. the others, but the treble rolls off. Used, this is about $400.

The D9200 is the most musical and natural, but the bass quantity can't compete with the 7200. Used this is about $950.

The TH900 slams the hardest WITH EQ--without EQ, I would skip them. Used this is about $900-1000.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #12,553 of 12,992
I am familiar with some of these, and I think you should definitely look at the Rosson RAD-0.

Great headphones but not my choice for gaming... they're too heavy for most to wear for many hours.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #12,554 of 12,992

In my experience, REL makes the best subwoofers I have ever heard. I was fortunate enough to demo a high end JL Audio sub (I forget the model, sorry) against a REL S510 and it wasn't even a comparison. The REL simply walked all over the JL. Truly amazing bass.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #12,555 of 12,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back