The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #10,576 of 12,975
Because the range for the treble and bass features on a Rockboxed iPod Classic is from -10.5 to +12 dB. I hear that other Rockboxable music players (such as Sonys, Sansa Clips, etc.) have smaller and larger ranges than that, depending on the player model.

For some songs, it'll be the "Wicked" midbass category, and for others, it'll be "Ultra Lite" (or anything in between), depending on how the song was recorded and mastered in the studio.

That's why my app has more than 600 EQ presets per set. The varying amounts of sub-bass, midbass, and treble (highs) from song to song are unimaginably vast in their differences. We're talking 50 dB of variations in sub-bass, 20 dB of variations in midbass, and 30+ dB of variations in treble.

You change the song, you change the sound settings. Starting from the age of 16 (in the U.S.) when I had my first "little big" car stereo, that's how I've always done things. Back then, it was the "Treble," "Bass," and "Subwoofer" gains I'd adjust for each song. Now, with my much-much-much-much-much-much cheaper portable headphone system, it's a midbass category, then a treble subcategory, and then, finally, a sub-bass increment that gets chosen for each song.

The more things change...the more they stay the same. :sunglasses:
ok right on. i was checking because on my sony its 24db+ and im guessing minus too.

yea i think i like the wicked one because it brings out more bass guitar as well; i alternate between wicked class and more treble. the sound im getting is the upgrade i was looking for when i bought new headphones. i mean, before i had hd500s (and i still do), and my ws1100is have alot of treble, can handle more bass, are closed, and the sound stage sounds the same.

i was at the headphone store today and i tried sonorous III and hd630vb. theres a part in crystal methods vegas where the beat drops and theres a bunch of instruments at once. i remember that part sounding better on the sonorous than my headphones. both of those headphones are flatter sounding than my ws1100. i couldnt really tell a difference in soundstage. i also tried this expensive closed ATH. it was a bit more clear than mine, and it creaks like crazy when you hold it. the guy at the store was referring me to v moda m100 which they dont sell right now. i didnt play them amped.

my conclusion is im very happy with my headphones. i ripped the cable out getting out of the car today, and a bunch of times recently. good thing its detachable.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #10,577 of 12,975
Well, I used to listen to my headphones with a 10" subwoofer connected. I can get the clean deep subwoofer bass with my planars and JVC headphones. But that chest pounding impact to go along with that, required a subwoofer. I'm guessing a Tactile transducer would work as well.

I listen to much bass heavy stuff with my LCD X, subwoofers on, its fun, but my wife hates it.:L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #10,578 of 12,975
ok right on. i was checking because on my sony its 24db+ and im guessing minus too.

yea i think i like the wicked one because it brings out more bass guitar as well; i alternate between wicked class and more treble. the sound im getting is the upgrade i was looking for when i bought new headphones. i mean, before i had hd500s (and i still do), and my ws1100is have alot of treble, can handle more bass, are closed, and the sound stage sounds the same.

i was at the headphone store today and i tried sonorous III and hd630vb. theres a part in crystal methods vegas where the beat drops and theres a bunch of instruments at once. i remember that part sounding better on the sonorous than my headphones. both of those headphones are flatter sounding than my ws1100. i couldnt really tell a difference in soundstage. i also tried this expensive closed ATH. it was a bit more clear than mine, and it creaks like crazy when you hold it. the guy at the store was referring me to v moda m100 which they dont sell right now. i didnt play them amped.

my conclusion is im very happy with my headphones. i ripped the cable out getting out of the car today, and a bunch of times recently. good thing its detachable.

Glad to hear that my app is working well for you, in spite of your different equipment. Cool!

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #10,579 of 12,975
Tried the paper test on my Atticus but couldnt get any movement. I don't think my settings are right. Not using any bass boost features etc. Tried the Wiz khalifa song on youtube. Any suggestions?

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #10,583 of 12,975
@Hawaiibadboy Lemme start by saying that I sorely miss your extreme bass adventures (you might remember one time you began walking me through the process of modifying a pair of ha-mr77xs). Now that the JVC SZ2000s have become a priceless rarity (the prices for used SZ2000s are astronomical!), is there anything novel or exciting going on in the world of bass headphones? What do you think of the bluetooth bass-oriented (XX series) headphones that JVC has been coming out with? Are any of them worthwhile? It seems like overall most of the headphone companies have stopped caring about basshead audiophiles. Even Fiio has stopped incorporating hardware bass boost into their amps. What gives?

Don't make the same impulse purchase that I did. I couldn't find a review anywhere and now I understand why.

I was looking to buy another pair of JVC SZ2000's and found that the prices were jacked up and that there's a "successor" in the XP50BT's.

From the dual chamber (Kelton) to an open port on-ear regression that can't even compete with the likes of Sony's 950N1's or Skullcandy's Crushers... I can upload a video comparison if anyone is bent on making the same mistake that I made but we'd only be wasting time.

I think I'll make the TH900's my next goal the SZ's are priced similarly in my market but I'm not confident that the (low end) gains over the TH600 are justified when it comes to pricing.

R.I.P. JVC SZXXXX.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #10,586 of 12,975
Talking about the prize of SZ2k, what is a proper price for sony xb1000? I got one that get's zero headtime. Thought about selling it but as I am bit of a headphone collector it has certain value for me as it it so absurd in size.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #10,587 of 12,975
Talking about the prize of SZ2k, what is a proper price for sony xb1000? I got one that get's zero headtime. Thought about selling it but as I am bit of a headphone collector it has certain value for me as it it so absurd in size.

Condition of packaging and unit?

Collectors in Japan will pay a lot of Yen for it if it is mint.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #10,588 of 12,975
Sadly no packagin so it is not a collectors item. Some scratches on metal parts, pads and padding like new. I'd say previous owner hardly used those but stored them on a table. I never used those much because I used to own xb1000 years ago so I know how those sound allready. Sold my first unit before those got discontinued.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #10,589 of 12,975
Thanks!
Additionally, how does the bass compare?
bass on th600 is better is term of quality but need some good source/amp/eq. Sony is more mainstream, having a preset and can boost the bass. But i didnt like it, not really deteails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back