The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #9,901 of 12,993
That's my TH-X00 Mahagony blowing paper on page 1. LOVE it. The reason the others aren't there is because no one made a video. Maybe you can make a video with your Purpleheart.

I do not think there are "duds" like you say. All the TH-X00 use the same drivers. The difference is in the type of wood the cups are made of, their resonant properties. The Head-Fi hype makes out the differences appear to be larger than they really are.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #9,903 of 12,993
20170917_205617[1].jpg

Trying to isolate my mind/ears and head (feeling bass hits) to just focus on bass speed and accuracy.

Seems epic.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #9,904 of 12,993
Sooooo, I got me a used RSA Intruder just to stay sane. The FIIO DIY wasn't cutting it for the massive subbass I am craving that my bass station can give me. The Ibasso PB2 is close, but that was lost in the flood, including all my opamps and buffers. Many this RSA is something else for sure. The closed SZ cans sound so much better and the dated dac doesn't sound dated at all. I'm actually using the older dac as it gives the SZ something extra in sound that is more enjoyable to me. The RSA goes really deep in balanced mode.

I had time to scrub my garage out a few days ago. Took a whole day of scrubbing and moving this around. The bad sewer smell is gone now. So today I had access to my soldering station again and made me a quick adapter to use with the SZ1000 and Hifiman 400i. What a nice surprise it was to hear how smooth and deep the bass can go. The reason I bought it, is because I've seen vids of Ray mentioning him liking listening to music at louder levels and that his Intruder has 1A of current out!

Below pic I used the RSA as a preamp to the DIY Fiio.

IMG_6103.JPG

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #9,905 of 12,993
The bassmasters came with % for the sz1k to sz2k in terms of how much more bass. I forget what you BASSYODAs said. like sz2k offered like 15-20% more bass with that solid brass vs brass tabs. SUmmmat like that. Anyway what are the KANNONs doing? Initially in the prototype videos it was like on par. Now it has surpassed the sz2k. In a way i feel bad for sz2k, but to be fair, it is still king in its own category (dual driver dynamic transducer) vs KANNON's dynamic + tactile.

Anyway what is a number to throw out there? 20% more bass? 50, DOUBLE?? :p
Also, who wins in mids/treble response. Surely the 2ks right?

Thx

giphy.gif

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #9,906 of 12,993
For SPL and head kick the SZ is still king. The Kannon give a head throttle with an A5 amp that an SZ2k gives with an iDSD micro in turbo cranked.

The list will be modified to account for what may be a series of headphones with similar tech. Putting the SZ at #2 knowing they can shred paper and cause hearing loss is not right. Gonna have to think of something...

Now at least bassheads have a set that is giving bass kick and clear mids. Nobody even cared about that issue with headphones until the past couple years and just now it has begun to bear fruit.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #9,907 of 12,993
IMG_1586.JPG
@SHAMuuu I think you're looking for something that's not there. With the Taction turned off it would be like a normal headphone. With the Taction turned on, you get the vibrations that you can feel.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #9,908 of 12,993
For SPL and head kick the SZ is still king. The Kannon give a head throttle with an A5 amp that an SZ2k gives with an iDSD micro in turbo cranked.

The list will be modified to account for what may be a series of headphones with similar tech. Putting the SZ at #2 knowing they can shred paper and cause hearing loss is not right. Gonna have to think of something...

Now at least bassheads have a set that is giving bass kick and clear mids. Nobody even cared about that issue with headphones until the past couple years and just now it has begun to bear fruit.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe 2 lists would be the way to go. Keep one list with traditional headphones, and another list that co-mingles both the tradtional headphones and ones that have been technologically modified, a la Taction or any other tech that comes into play.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #9,909 of 12,993
@SHAMuuu I think you're looking for something that's not there. With the Taction turned off it would be like a normal headphone. With the Taction turned on, you get the vibrations that you can feel.

MY FRIEND in a way you are right. And well I have a 15" and an amp waiting for me back home (i am on a small vacay atm). And yes you can hook up 2 bookshelfs and a car sub and that is semi hardcore. Ofc its easier with home sub, but i have some love for car subs + home speakers. Now, this is head-fi. So i am trying to figure out how to hook up a 15" (DB Platinum Series apprx. 1000RMS) to a small amp roughly 600RMS (Infinity).with headphones off my PC. I had these components in a audio chair i built for shytes n giggles. But reading about K1K owners who have hooked their cans to subs, well that sounds like more what i want. I want to sit on car sub box while jamming on cans like a NUT.

Anyway I have the 120v to 12v converter for car amp. Hopefully it still works :p Just need some big fat wires. The issues in my head (i am not tech saavy really) :p is whether i can get this

PC - USB DAC >> HEADPHONE AMP >>> split signal so i can send to car amp>>> 15"

I don't want to use a receiver, unless this all doesn't work out. My IQ is like 72.

I don't know how long it will take to get this all done once i get back, but yeah :D

tenor.gif

If I fail i will hide under a rock, or sail the darkened seas with other lost souls and share my tales of woe

Thx

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #9,914 of 12,993
Anyone able to hear what the Kannon sounds like straight out of an xbox elite controller?

Most gaming headsets are bass heavy but sound bad for music, or if music sounds ok, bass and directionality suffer. And now that xbox finally has spotify and background play, it would be great to get something that just works across games/music/movies without an amp.

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #9,915 of 12,993
Just heard this track and thought of you all instantly. It may not be your style but if you want to give your cans a workout, this is the track for you. Even my LCD-X are struggling to reach low enough!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back