The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 27, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #8,596 of 12,992

Dr. Zoidberg, I must say, I have been a huge fan of yours for such a long time. I even bought the Futurama DVDs.
tongue_smile.gif

Back when MySpace was still popular, there was a profile for Bender...and he thought I was interesting enough to put me on his top friends.
cool.gif

I must look like the pickiest person ever, but those look so incredibly... plastic? So lightweight and fragile, and their earpads appear to be quite small. I like huge, firm beasts on my head. They're practically for all day use so big comfy headphones are at advantage.

Not to look like an ungrateful dick, I appreciate every recommendation. I'm just evaluating my options currently.

You thought the SZ2000 was small too because it's foldable. It's best to avoid assumptions.

The PRO 500 isn't that small. (Click here for a photo.) It also measures similarly to the MT220.

As for weight, it's over 0.8 pounds. (The SZ2000 is just over a pound.)

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #8,597 of 12,992
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You thought the SZ2000 was small too because it's foldable. It's best to avoid assumptions.

Oh no, don't worry, I did not think that. I could see with my eyes that they were big pretty clearly. My concerns were about its build's stability and the comfort, plus the longevity. I have a certain fear that any moving parts will eventually break, and the more stuff there is to move, the sooner it breaks. But the SZ2k does look like a sturdy beast.

On the PRO 500, I was just going by how they look (plastic and flimsy) and some reviews on it (some which say they feel fragile and they aren't comfy for longtime wear). So there's that.

The MT220 on the other hand, I'm getting into them. They are about the same price here as the DT770 and the M50x. Is the MT220 the bassiest of this bunch?

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #8,598 of 12,992
  Oh no, don't worry, I did not think that. I could see with my eyes that they were big pretty clearly. My concerns were about its build's stability and the comfort, plus the longevity. I have a certain fear that any moving parts will eventually break, and the more stuff there is to move, the sooner it breaks. But the SZ2k does look like a sturdy beast.

On the PRO 500, I was just going by how they look (plastic and flimsy) and some reviews on it (some which say they feel fragile and they aren't comfy for longtime wear). So there's that.

The MT220 on the other hand, I'm getting into them. They are about the same price here as the DT770 and the M50x. Is the MT220 the bassiest of this bunch?

It's just that the way you worded it implied it was smaller. ("I'm used to gigantic headphones, starting with my father's HD600")

The MT220 sounds worlds better than the M50x in every way. They both have strong bass, but the MT220 has much stronger impact. Some tracks on high volume literally shake my head, and that's without even boosting the bass with EQ!

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #8,599 of 12,992
I shoulda said "big and sturdy" because that's what I actually meant. Not to say that this plastic wonder on my head (the EVO) would be the definition of sturdiness, but I know that if I put it down wrong (happened) or drop it (happened) it won't just stop existing. Looking at the PRO 500 and its reviews, I wouldn't say the same of it.

So some other sources now tell me that the MT220 aren't the greatest for metal and edm - which is basically what I listen to - instead they recommend it more for acoustic records. Well how about that. I mostly listen to speedy metal with high pitched screechy electric guitars and fast paced (150 BPM and up) bass heavy edm including (but not exclusively) gabber, hardstyle, frenchcore, eurobeat, trash like that.

Am I overthinking it?

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #8,600 of 12,992
So some other sources now tell me that the MT220 aren't the greatest for metal and edm - which is basically what I listen to - instead they recommend it more for acoustic records. Well how about that. I mostly listen to speedy metal with high pitched screechy electric guitars and fast paced (150 BPM and up) bass heavy edm including (but not exclusively) gabber, hardstyle, frenchcore, eurobeat, trash like that.  
Am I overthinking it?

Some other sources don't know what they're talking about. The MT220 is mindblowing with metal and electronic music, as well as anything else.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #8,602 of 12,992
I must look like the pickiest person ever, but those look so incredibly... plastic? So lightweight and fragile, and their earpads appear to be quite small. I like huge, firm beasts on my head. They're practically for all day use so big comfy headphones are at advantage.

Not to look like an ungrateful dick, I appreciate every recommendation. I'm just evaluating my options currently.

Comfort is an issue. I have had them exactly 1 year now and they are far and away the best sounding headphones I have ever heard. Under $400 I don't think you can get a better sound. I certainly have not found it.
My go too headphones for Metal. Swedish, Norwegian black, sludge, whatever. The forward mids and dark treble give the guitars a nice hefty crunch without the sizzle that causes fatigue. The bass is punchy and fast. Double bass blast beats, with down tuned guitars and bass stay perfectly legible with no mush. Thrown an amp at em and they can shake your head enough to blur your vision. Yamaha killed it with the tuning on these. However if you have a skinny head, forget it. You have a head smaller then 58, or 7 1/4, forget it. Have big ears? forget it.
Luckily though these things are cheap enough now to buy and try. See em on eBay for $130ish used. Believe they are on amazon for $250ish. Got mine in Japan for $183.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #8,604 of 12,992
Thank you! 

I saved a link to their pads to order a pair! 

You needed to glue them to Ultrasone's mechanism? 

BTW - not that you have performance 840 - do you prefer it to pro 900?

No, the pads stretch around the ear cups.

I prefer the 840 to the Pro 900. With the same Alpha pads the sound is more to my liking overall with about as much bass when fed by my Cayin C5 and an iPod Touch with EQ10 app allowing for a nice equalization profile with nice strong low end impact. Keep in mind I didn't have the C5 when I had the 900 and was feeding it with a FiiO E11 which is not near the quality or bass impact of the C5.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8,605 of 12,992
No, the pads stretch around the ear cups.

I prefer the 840 to the Pro 900. With the same Alpha pads the sound is more to my liking overall with about as much bass when fed by my Cayin C5 and an iPod Touch with EQ10 app allowing for a nice equalization profile with nice strong low end impact. Keep in mind I didn't have the C5 when I had the 900 and was feeding it with a FiiO E11 which is not near the quality or bass impact of the C5.

When you say that sound is more to your liking, what do you mean exactly? 
biggrin.gif

Without the chance to hear either right now - I kinda need this type of info 
redface.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #8,606 of 12,992

Some other sources don't know what they're talking about. The MT220 is mindblowing with metal and electronic music, as well as anything else.

I'll believe you.

However if you have a skinny head, forget it. You have a head smaller then 58, or 7 1/4, forget it. Have big ears? forget it.
Luckily though these things are cheap enough now to buy and try. See em on eBay for $130ish used. Believe they are on amazon for $250ish. Got mine in Japan for $183.

I have a weird head. They go pretty expensive here by the way (up to 340-350 bucks in most webshops), and for this quality of build I'm not sure I'm willing to go that high in price.

What do you guys think of the Beyerdynamic COP? I've heard good things.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #8,607 of 12,992
Recently went from a K7XX to a HE400i and now I'm strongly considering picking up an SZ2000 based on the recommendation in this thread.

Is there any other great options around ~$200 that have a lot of just fun-listening Bass?

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #8,608 of 12,992

I'll believe you.

I have a weird head. They go pretty expensive here by the way (up to 340-350 bucks in most webshops), and for this quality of build I'm not sure I'm willing to go that high in price.

What do you guys think of the Beyerdynamic COP? I've heard good things.

I saw on Amazon that the Custom Studio (169US)  is going for less than Custom ONE plus (199US), and well you can check for yourself, but i would imagine that would be much wiser. Probably not basshead, but from reviews somewhere close to 80Ohm  770s (which i think are great)

biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #8,609 of 12,992

Nah, you're good. Headphones see a lot of mileage and can be expensive so it's good to be picky and get something that really does it for you.

I wish I could tell you more about them, but I won't get a set until I need a portable set. But I did hear that they hit harder than thx00, and at about 80% of sz2k without a lot of amping or eq needed.

Not sure if the pads are replaceable or not, but my source on them did say comfort is one thing they're lacking.

Plastic like that is a bit scary too. I started basshead life with beats studio about 7 years ago. Similar build of course, but I'd put a lot more trust into the yamaha durability. They make dirtbikes after all haha. Any way, the build quality and comfort on those beats were absolute $h1t, but I didn't know any better. The headband cracked in a year or so.

I forgot if/what you said about amping and eq. Thats why i said pro500 initially...

But if it's possible for you, I'd also go for sz1k, hm5 pleather pads, and a cayin c5. Should be pretty close price wise to your budget and big and comfy.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #8,610 of 12,992
Picked up some used MDR-Z7, I expected they weren't basshead from this thread already but seriously... I think my porta pros might hit harder :blink:, seems like such a waste with that 70mm driver!

I'm putting them on the list... http://rapsandhustles.com/2011/03/03/ghostface-killah-top-10-softest-rappers-in-the-game/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back