The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 27, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #8,581 of 12,992
Almost all the headphones mentioned are foldable (M100, m50x, SZ2k, hfi-580), doesn't that take away from their comfort level? I'm used to gigantic headphones, starting with my father's HD600 with its dead headband padding to the HD681 EVO I'm rocking now. Foldable heapdhones always appeared so fragile to me.

My absolute maximum budget is around 270 bucks so that's what I'm trying to work with here.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #8,582 of 12,992
  ultrasone hfi-580 is excellent for the price and they are better than m50, but they need little bass eq and different pads to shine

^^ That right there. I use the Brainwavz HM5 pads on my HFI-580's. The sound stage is far better than the M50x. However, they don't hit as hard as the Pro 900.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #8,583 of 12,992
  Almost all the headphones mentioned are foldable (M100, m50x, SZ2k, hfi-580), doesn't that take away from their comfort level? I'm used to gigantic headphones, starting with my father's HD600 with its dead headband padding to the HD681 EVO I'm rocking now. Foldable heapdhones always appeared so fragile to me.

My absolute maximum budget is around 270 bucks so that's what I'm trying to work with here.

The SZ2000 is quite large. I don't even adjust the headband at all.

If you want a headphone with powerful bass impact, crazy dynamics, and good clarity without EQ, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is a good choice. (The SZ2000 needs a lot of EQ.)

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #8,584 of 12,992

The SZ2k is foldable but not really portable, they are a tank of a headphone but can be made extremely comfortable with the HM5 pads. The HFI-580 are foldable and pretty comfortable with the stock pads, but also really benefit from the HM5 pads. The M100 are uncomfortable to me even with their larger XL pads. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #8,585 of 12,992
Just an FYI, none of the JVC SZ line of cans are meant for portable use. They are heavy as screw, have a huge clamping force, require an Fiio E12 amp, and also will require EQ to get the full use out of them. When I am on the go, I don't like having to mess with a bunch of crap. This is the reason that I just use a pair of bluetooth headphones for portable use. As when I am walking around outside, working and such, I can't relaly fully appreciate the music I am listening to anyways, cause my consentration is on what I am doing. Now when I am home, I got my JVC SZ1K's amped and eq'd up, and then I can really enjoy the music. :wink:

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #8,586 of 12,992

The SZ2000 is quite large.

they are a tank of a headphone

They are heavy as screw, have a huge clamping force

Gud. Gud. The bigger, the better. But *******, an extra amp is way out of my budget if I'd buy the SZ2k so I have to let them go for now, it's sad.

Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want a headphone with powerful bass impact, crazy dynamics, and good clarity without EQ, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is a good choice. (The SZ2000 needs a lot of EQ.)

Haven't checked these out yet, thanks for the rec.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #8,588 of 12,992
I think that first I might get an Ultrasone Pro 900 since they are said to be great. The only fears I have with them are isolation and how fast do the pads degrade / Any aftermarket pads that we can use for Pro900?

I used Mr Speakers Alpha pads on my Pro900 when I had them. Way better comfort and isolation.

Thank you! 

I saved a link to their pads to order a pair! 

You needed to glue them to Ultrasone's mechanism? 

BTW - not that you have performance 840 - do you prefer it to pro 900?

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #8,590 of 12,992
  I haven't planned on doing anything really (besides buying a new sound card in the near future). I'm as basic of a user as basic they can get.

This has been said many times before, but the SZ2000 sounds completely underwhelming without EQ. At the very least, you need to tweak its sound. With some effort you can make it sound more like an audiophile headphone. And, of course, you can make the bass as crazy as you want. It's just that at a certain point you'll need an amp to handle that. If you only want a moderate bass boost, it should be fine without an amp.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #8,592 of 12,992
Good to know. Last time I checked it said shipping in January. I'd love to try them but they are definitely at the bottom of my audio to buy list. Hopefully more feedback from fellow basspeople will come in soon.

The shipping date has been pushed back a few times because of problems with shipping parts they need from China and a few other reasons. At this point, their claimed date means nothing unless they have products already made and packaged IMO

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #8,593 of 12,992

Yamaha pro500 is what I'd go for around that price. Often overlooked here, but I have it on good authority that it hits really good without requiring amp/eq and sounds great.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #8,594 of 12,992
This has been said many times before, but the SZ2000 sounds completely underwhelming without EQ.

This!!!
I purchased them a few months ago, and was severely disappointed. There was none of the legendary bass everyone talks about. You definitely have to EQ and change pads as well. The zmf cow pads make the SZ put out a lot more bass. If you don't EQ the SZ you won't find them very bassy.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #8,595 of 12,992
Yamaha pro500 is what I'd go for around that price. Often overlooked here, but I have it on good authority that it hits really good without requiring amp/eq and sounds great.

I must look like the pickiest person ever, but those look so incredibly... plastic? So lightweight and fragile, and their earpads appear to be quite small. I like huge, firm beasts on my head. They're practically for all day use so big comfy headphones are at advantage.

Not to look like an ungrateful dick, I appreciate every recommendation. I'm just evaluating my options currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back