The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 8, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #376 of 12,991

There is plenty of sub bass from the SZ, I have actually been messing around with them to tighten up the clarity from the other aspects.

I tried some reflective Dynamat (they sound a bit muffled to my ears) in the cups and it did not go so well, it created a screaming back wave of treble that made my dog snap at me.....I actually like the way the SZ responds off of my tube amps, it sounds much more natural but the bass becomes less energetic and a bit more wooly. To emulate that sound and retain what it does well (bass) with solid state,  my next move is a bit of fiber loft in the cups.

These have amazing potential, but my limited skills may not be up to task. they are horrible to break down and put back together (tons of parts). 

I do run an analog EQ ( NOS Pioneer 9800) that IMHO is one of the best EQ's ever made, so I can balance out the frequencies a bit, I hate digital programs so I will not be trying any of those. 

I am actually glad I got caught up in a bit of controversy on this thread, it made me break out the SZ and try some different things.  I picked them up when they came out and wrote them off without giving them enough time. They are by no means a bad Headphone, I just thought they were not for me. I was expecting them to sound like the DX700  I used to own and still regret getting rid of.

If anyone is interested in my mod progress feel free to PM me.

ooooh analog EQ *dies* I'd love to have a good analog pre amp >.> I'm not a huge fan of Digital equalization my self either

Did I post this song yet? Ugh it's just epic, all that DEEP SOUL DIGGIN BASS, love how the HE 4 textures this bass line, I'd have to admit though i like my DEEP diggin bass to be accompanied by a some what sharp mid presance, I like a lot of contrast in my EDM, to much bass and the tracks start to sound overly warm and I miss the tactile notes of the mids layered nicely a top that DEEP DIGGIN bass 

Like having your back scratched lightly, and DEEPLY massaged at the same time, except my neck and ears as opposed to my back! 

here's teh track get a flac if u can

[this one is a little better than the last uTube one I found] 

and sadly for me the D2k doesn't have that same DIG as the HE 4 does :[ and for my tastes it's a little to bassy with this track 

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #377 of 12,991

Umm,

why would I lie? And again, I never said A slams harder then B, that is the way someone's mind interpreted it, please read post  #295.

Oh look here are some Denon's with  gel pads

Here are a set of SZ's as I immediately ripped the pads off when I got them home and threw them in the garbage.

There are numerous photos in my profile if you would like to see anything else.

Thank you so much for the photo and I apologize for aggressively demanding it. It's just that the history of this thread's foundation is a very violent one, and while everything has been resolved, I still relapse into my defensive stance and respond to anything that may look like an attack against the thread. And yeah, I looked at the photos but didn't see the SZ--I figured that the SZ might just be cheap change for you, looking at your inventory of super expensive gears, so it was most likely that it wasn't worth updating your list for.

lol@ throwing away the SZ pads. It does feel extremely uncomfortable when you feel something hard touching you(r ears) when there shouldn't be, but I'm one of the (so far) 2 people in the SZ thread who love the stock pads.

Also, thanks for the analog EQ rec! I'm definitely trying that route.

Because of this thread, and countless letdowns by other supposed 'bass cannon' cans, I just purchased SZ2000s. I have gone through AH D1100s, HD 25-1 ii, RP-HTF600s, ATH-M50, HAM55X, RP-DH1200s and none of these were 'cannons'. The D1100s were the only ones with bass quantity, but they are cheap plastic pieces of **** and the rest of the freq range sounded like crap. I really liked the HD25-1 ii's but there wasn't enough sub bass for me.

Hopefully the SZ2000s are the answer to my bass prayers! Couldn't find a domestic seller so I'll be waiting until July for them to arrive. STOKED.

As HBB said, you don't have to believe us either. Just make sure that you know what you're getting into, i.e. you need EQ to know how deep and loud the SZ could go before distortion--OR, you can set everything flat, and play the bass boosted source files in this list (especially the bass boosted On My Level test track). The tracks in the list are extremely veiled--I recently changed my EQ setup and raised the 3KHz band some more to solve that. Most importantly, welcome to the club!

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #378 of 12,991

Thank you so much for the photo and I apologize for aggressively demanding it. It's just that the history of this thread's foundation is a very violent one, and while everything has been resolved, I still relapse into my defensive stance and respond to anything that may look like an attack against the thread. And yeah, I looked at the photos but didn't see the SZ--I figured that the SZ might just be cheap change for you, looking at your inventory of super expensive gears, so it was most likely that it wasn't worth updating your list for.

lol@ throwing away the SZ pads. It does feel extremely uncomfortable when you feel something hard touching you(r ears) when there shouldn't be, but I'm one of the (so far) 2 people in the SZ thread who love the stock pads.

Also, thanks for the analog EQ rec! I'm definitely trying that route.

No worries on my end, I entered the thread in a defensive mod as well.  I reached out to someone and was going to do a bit of a "pay it forward" thing and it backfired on me.

I do not want to get on your bad side, you have to be tough if you can tolerate those stock pads, The CIA use them for “enhanced interrogation ”
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #379 of 12,991
[COLOR=FF00AA]ANYBODY ELSE NOTICED NEW TYPE OF HEADPHONE
TESTING SHOWING ON YOUTUBE?[/COLOR]

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/pCSMx4P1bxE[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/i7Op2wqKopo[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/G-MxqKMNZaQ[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/scTVDcNpMM0[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/TWBwXIVvKrk[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/ybB0ZBNtw-g[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/jnK1Gq7txYA[/VIDEO]
[COLOR=FF00AA]Seems like a simple but pretty good method of testing....[/COLOR]

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #380 of 12,991

ANYBODY ELSE NOTICED NEW TYPE OF HEADPHONE
TESTING SHOWING ON YOUTUBE?

Seems like a simple but pretty good method of testing....

AMAZING!!! Now THIS is how you review headphones! Wow. (Even though as an EQ enthusiast I don't mind stock FR, I find this comparative review game-changing.) Would've been more objective to play the same excerpt instead of different parts of a song, but the song uses sound loops anyway so it's ok.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #381 of 12,991
AMAZING!!! Now THIS is how you review headphones! Wow. (Even though as an EQ enthusiast I don't mind stock FR, I find this comparative review game-changing.) Would've been more objective to play the same excerpt instead of different parts of a song, but the song uses sound loops anyway so it's ok.

Watching the videos that feature Beats cans - particularly the Beats Pro's is quite noticeable in the bass being very prominent in comparison to the other two cans tested - lol :D

Don't get me wrong - I like beats cans a lot and own a few pairs, so pointing this out is just an observation of how good this type of testing is, rather than any criticism.

The test that included the Fostex TH900 - the test track to me either was indiscernible from the source when played through these headphones or even slightly improved quality :eek:

But yeah, I hope these guys keep up the headphone testing videos for sure :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #383 of 12,991
  MAXIMUMBASSEXTREME

§ The High Fidelity Contradiction

The term "basshead" is usually pronounced with a snobbish snort around here at Head-Fi. This elitism has justifications ranging from the more rational high fidelity argument, where any frequency response that attenuates or emphasizes a particular frequency is inaccurate by definition, to the less intelligent prejudice against bass driven music, especially rap and its Black English Vernacular. The latter is, in fact, a more acceptable rationale than the former in the sense that such prejudice frequently betrays an underlying, pitiable mental disability, while the stamp of high fidelity is problematic in the context that its ascription often contradicts its definition. Audiophile headphones are associated with a flat frequency response to reproduce the original signal as accurately as possible; however, headphone frequency response is trivial to shape with the use of a digital/analog equalizer, thus a flat frequency response is not worth putting a premium in a practical perspective. The immutable aspect of high fidelity is the lack of distortion, and this definition is much overlooked. Given that most modern music is bass driven, and that front row rock concert loudness is a norm among the contemporary generation, low frequency reproduction at normal loud intensities should be a criterion of high fidelity. However, in objective stress testing, only a rare few of such audiophile headphones can sustain the nether frequencies at loud volumes.

The Maximum Bass Extreme edits in the last section of this article feature pure sound signal. If your headphones distort those edits +24dB over normal listening volume, you have a sh!t pair.

§ Measurements

My Maximum Bass Extreme setup uses the built-in Windows sound modules to boost a 25Hz central frequency to +30dB (the digiZoid ZO2.3 in comparison can only reach a maximum +13dB 25Hz boost), but it is a two-step post-processing that sounds much more powerful than simply boosting 25Hz in a parametric EQ. Here is a frequency response comparison between my current and previous setups (the Cyanogenmod setup sounds bloated in comparison due to the 50Hz boosted +10dB than the Windows setup):

5GpptOi.png

See that sharp peak above? That is the "Peak of Mt. Bass."

Tutorial and more measurements in spoiler:

9Sqjic4.png

2DaH3dT.png

FeUNJWF.png

IAsx1bQ.png

PkmhPJK.png

§ Tutorial

This only works for some Realtek drivers and the default Windows sound drivers under Windows Vista, 7, or 8/8.1. The built-in Windows "Bass Boost" is used with Equalizer APO (here is a head-fi thread dedicated to the latter). Basically, Equalizer APO allows detailed control of the built-in Windows sound modules, so it only installs the controller (no GUI) and you set the settings in the file "config.txt" under "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config". Any changes you make in config.txt affects the sound in real-time. You can read the head-fi thread for very quick tutorials, but I promise that it only looks complex at first. Inside my config.txt is this:

Filter 1: ON PEQ Fc 25,0 Hz Gain 15,0 dB Q 1,000
Filter 2: ON PEQ Fc 3000,0 Hz Gain 5,0 dB Q 1,000

Red is the center frequency in Hz (comma means decimal), blue is the level, and green is the width of the curve (when using "Q", 0 is the widest, and affects the entire spectrum, while 10 limits the boost to just the center frequency).

Some head-fiers made a GUI for it, most used is jiiteepee's FPEQGUI-10MC, head-fi thread here. Using the GUI, Filter 1 above looks like this:

For the built-in Bass Boost in Windows (your sound card driver may or may not support this):

deT3KED.gif

I am currently writing a simple portable application that .

§ How it sounds

I recorded my PC output directly and uploaded sample songs to YouTube. This way, you can set your settings to flat and the songs will sound exactly as I hear them, minus the Fiio E12 bass boost. If you have the E12, use it. Below are comparisons between the original recordings and the Maximum Bass Extreme edits. The edits are preamped to -24dB to avoid clipping, so you have to raise your volume to +24dB from normal.

Wiz Khalifa - On My Level [Rap]
(Unedited) Listen to normal volume:

(Maximum Bass Extreme) Raise volume to +24dB:

15px-Fair_use_logo.svg.png
Download "On My Level (Maximum Bass Extreme Edit)" FLAC
(Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.)

More Maximum Bass Extreme comparisons in different genres (heavy metal, denpa, and so on) in spoiler:

MOSAIC.WAV - Welcome to 'Akiba-Pop'!! [Denpa]

Judas Priest - Painkiller [Heavy Metal]

Amon Amarth - Death in Fire [Death/Viking Metal]

Attack on Titan OST 1 [EDM]

Dragonland - Neverending Story [Power Metal]

Skrillex - Kyoto [Dubstep]

Flo Rida - Low [Rap/Hip-Hop]

Perfume - Nee [Chiptune]

I would rather prefere samples with Close to the edge bass guitar, like Primus, Magma, Yey,(Fragile,CTTE). Present and Chrome Hoof (Black Gold) to Name a few.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #384 of 12,991

​

TOP 10 for June 2014 (REV2)

* Using 70Hz "Hit" and a* 35Hz "Hit"as comparative test. All listed cans compared with a Cowon DAP Settings= Flat 5 band Eq/BBE+10 Mach3Bass+8 e12 amp +16dB gain on. Bast boost switch on

1. JVC HA-SZ2000 

Peerless sub bass and entire 18-120Hz response. Final option for chronic basshead. 

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT

Impedance:16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Sub>>Mid transition. , Poor stock pads.

2. JVC SZ1000

Nearly identical to Sz2000.
Only difference is force of bass at very high low end gain.
Highs seem clearer at low volume?

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT                                                                                                        

​
Impedance 16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Sub>>Mid transition. , Poor stock pads.

3. JVC HA-MR77x

Hits very hard. Eats good amp.

Driver size: 57mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 46 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs (to raise mids)
Genre' (Hip-Hop)
Weakness: Echo/resonance over takes bass response before distortion.

4. Sony XB700

Epic bass. overwhelms signature. Can be amped well.

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good +18dB @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM)
Weakness: Pillow pads absorb too much of the hit. 

5. Sony XB1000

new on list

Driver size: 70mm Mylar (PET) 

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: (???) @45Hz
EQ: Needs (???????)
Genre' (HipHop/EDM/?)
Weakness: ...(not enough info)

Source: iPod Touch with EQ set to bass boost, playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track
Amp: FiioE17 with bass EQ to max setting 10 and 6dB gain

6.  Ultrasone Signature DJ

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Great/Good +18 @45Hz
EQ: Needs (raise bass only)
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness ; Echo/resonance at high amped low end.

7.  Monster/Beats by Dre Pro 

(original Monster/Dre version)

Driver size: 40mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +12 @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/?)
Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost.

8. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Similar to Beats pro in "pre-tuned" driver.
Headroom with amp is low same as beats Pro. Hit hard as **** though

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +12 @70Hz
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost. Pad size (shallow)

9. Monster Npulse

Like the 77x hit way out of their price range and any range.
Headroom is slightly bigger than Yamaha and Beats Pro

Driver size: 40mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +14 @45Hz
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost. 

10. ATH - PRO 700MK2

Driver size: 53mm  Mylar (PET)

Impedance 38 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Great/Good +18 @45Hz
EQ: Needs (raise bass only,?)
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/?)
Weakness: Pad depth. Different pairs very different sound?

​

*ALL Cans tested with identical gear,settings and tracks.
Results based on that specific set-up.
No rec's of any cans made. No buying suggestions given.
Different equipment and settings will possibly/likely yield different results.

**These are numbered but not ranked. Besides #1 these are in no particular order
*** The next list will focus on "A" "B" comparisons with known branded headphones with pedigree. Potential candidates....claims...welcome. Suggestion box always open

Level of Hit

These cans cost 60-100 Bucks (the ones above 200-300)

Tracks used

A clipped version from 0:00 to 0:33 is used for impact  (This is tha crippler...it has ....shown the limit of so many cans I cannot count...many well known ones with nice price tags)

This track from 3:40 to finish (If they get past the crippler they can get stretched out by Wiz and Too $hort. It like shining the flashlight in the Sub-bass's face...cannot hide from this)

New test track 5/8/14

Using what?

A Portable rig designed to abuse the crap outta the low end of any can I can get my fingers on. Anywhere, anytime.
The exact same test tracks are used in the exact same way at the exact same levels. It's a "Go" or a "No Go"...simple as that.

Possible Q&A's

Q) Who listens to headphones like this?
A) If you're wondering,.... probably not you.

Q) Who are you?
A) I'm a former Car Audio IASCA dB drag competitor. I am pure-breed basshead. I'm used to measuring things. Words like "Cannon" mean nothing to me without some visual proof.
Low frequency audio signals will give you that visual. Charts, and words like separation,staging, are not of interest to me. A typical mastered Hip-Hop track is going to live along the "V" response anyway.

I live in Japan and have access to an enormous amount of headphones. I have a personality that allows me to behave in a way most would not. I take an "O.K." and go all the way with it. I do not damage cans but I could and some know that so my quest requires me to push the limits of acceptability and etiquette.

Q) Why?
A) Because nobody else is. (simple answer). Also because it's fun. I'm a basshead. Finding sub $100 Head hammers or exposing supposed ones of much higher price is enjoyable.
There is room enough on Head-fi for everyone. I do my thing.
If Audiophile Bass and all kinds with a community is what you want this is the place>>http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii
There is also a GROUP. (I'm a member)>>>http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/34/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-group

Q) Why are these not "Cannon's" on the Wiki?
A) Good question. These are the 10 hardest hitters that I have heard but they are not all cannons automatically. Some may be as that Wiki is updated as often as possible. Also many ....7 of 10 with the 77x ,American Audio, and XB700 being the exceptions...play most Genre and can hammer. 70% of the list is not even Basshead. It's not what the cans do...it's what the cans can do. 
Potential.

(Revision 1.0)

1. In an epic oversight
          Never tested the 1Hz/1dB that separates the sz2000 and 1000. In Hip Hop with my test tracks it was nearly impossible to tell the difference. Maybe force of            impact? Highs sounded  clearer? Really odd?
In a focus to deliver the bass the brass sheath might be overwhelming the late mids /early highs by delivering the bass too well?

1. Listened to the Denons. Urban Raver and the like including D2k and was ...as a basshead...most pleased with the AHD600
    blink.gif
    . Not sure what to say but it was stout and strong and held up better than any other Denon

1. The Senn DJ cans are nice. 

(Revision 2.0)

1. Added 70mm XB1000 It was a matter of time but I haven't seen them recently and cb just put up the vid.
  2. The Denon were on here for about a minute.
  3. Suggestions for test candidates always welcome

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #385 of 12,991
Are you joking?
Post any sz mod pics right here bro. Welcome mat for that just got laid out.

[rule]Am doing a June Top 10 revision based on today.
Will post later

I got one but I'm unsure if it's legit or not as I was told by this old guy who hangs around the mall and shouts at pigeons - something about asking a Shamen to summon the moons energy to radiate directly into the earcups on the cans which apparently if done right gives them a power to bass ratio of over 9000! :cool:

Pigeon shouter even scribbled me a detailed diagram to use as a reference, so nothing could go wrong :)

imagejpg1-55.jpg

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/TBtpyeLxVkI[/VIDEO]

:D

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #387 of 12,991
Can't watch that vid in my region...just as well...Pigeon shouter's diagram tells the story.

Beats test track in the house
Turn up the volume to get an appreciation for the power.

That piece of paper sure is getting a work out :)

And the SZ1000 hits as hard as big bro SZ2000 albeit with lesser solid components used but is approx $95 USD cheaper to buy?

Maybe the differences between the 1000 & 2000 aren't so apparent initially, but could show over time of ownership?

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #388 of 12,991
The 77's cups don't really vibe after doing this

It's all shooting out the front now.

I could walk into a monster sized audio shop and dominate with these...just on sheer force. 
Price to performance on the basshead scale is off the ******* charts for these.

As for the sz1000 over time...I dunno? I don't rec them or anything else. No links no prices no advice unless asked. The SZ1000 are basshead friendly...that i can confirm.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #389 of 12,991
See I want one of those... WE NEED MUSIC WITH REAL CANNON shots, I mean REAL life has the BIGGEST and most BADDEST bass drops ever, what makes a cannon fearsome? It's that big freaking sound wave that fires all around it self when you fire it, do you hear it? No you feel it, and it DIGS into your SOUL

I'd love to make a dub step tune with some real HQ recordings of natures nastiest drops, put a 60 hrz Wobble a top of some 5-15 hrz kicks :3

truthfully I need a decent Sub, I used to listen to my DnB on a little 12" [after 2 years I blew it out] My HE 4 does a nice job at captureing some of the tactility that lil Sub had, but I do miss it! And yes I'd like one of those! Scare teh hell out of my neighbors at 12 am ;3
I was going to make a dubstep song where the wubs aren't actually computer wubs, but natural ones. Binaural tones/beats. Play two different frequencies into each channel, and it creates a trippy Wubwubwubwubwub... If you listen to them for too long, your ears ring for a few minutes afterwards. They can actually be created to represent the brain patterns of a person who is high on any drug, and give you a high sensation to a degree. Its one of the oddest things I've ever heard.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #390 of 12,991
I was going to make a dubstep song where the wubs aren't actually computer wubs, but natural ones. Binaural tones/beats. Play two different frequencies into each channel, and it creates a trippy Wubwubwubwubwub... If you listen to them for too long, your ears ring for a few minutes afterwards. They can actually be created to represent the brain patterns of a person who is high on any drug, and give you a high sensation to a degree. Its one of the oddest things I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back