The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3,301 of 12,991
@Giogio

I have heard the ws99bt and They are bass heavy with decent mids. The price is dropping recently so maybe you can score a good deal?

Bass heavy sounds good. What i want.
Or did you mean it negatively?

They are not available in EU.
I've found them in eBay US, and in amazon JP.
The sellers I've asked to in amazon do not ship here, so I'll have to use a specialized service as intermediary.
Where else can i find them?

Did you listen to ue9000 and sony mdr-xb950bt?
If yes, how do they compare to the AT?

If not, how could you describe the bass of the AT?
Slow or fast? Hard or soft? Warm or dark? Enough rumble? Punch?
Muffled and dull and with lot of air and puff like the Sony, or more material, solid, intense?

Was the overall detail and SQ ok?
Do you think with some EQ one can give them enough highs?

Thanks! :)

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,302 of 12,991
SO:

Having far too much fun with the SZ2000s!

Threw the Brainwavz pads on last night.  Probably should have done more listening with the original stock pads to do a true before/after, but I heard enough to know it was a step up sonically, and definitely much more comfortable than the original stock pads.  (Man....  Now I gotta' buy the HM5 extra thicks to see how THEY feel!)

Haven't set up to do a video yet.  Just chillin'.  These things are AMAZING.  I still say that the Photive PH-BTX6 headphones are great for the price ~$50 on sale plus good Bluetooth sound, but these just MURDER the Photives!

I'm surprised by how much I've wanted to go back and hunt through the collection to find songs that these SZ2000 just KILL.  Naturally, I used the "On My Level" by Wiz Khalifa for initial evaluation, and with my DX90 & iDSD MICRO I found HBB's recommendations work for me with (MICRO Settings):
  1. POT at 9-10 O'clock for listening volume
  2. XBASS ON
  3. 3D ON
  4. Power Mode set to TURBO 
  5. Filter set to BIT PERFECT
  6. IE Match set to OFF 
The connection to the DX90 is DIGITAL COAXIAL Forza Audio Works (FAW) short interconnect 3.5" to RCA so the MICRO is doing both DAC and AMP duty.  The DX90 is set to:
  1. FILTER = Sharp Roll-Off,  
  2. EQ = CUSTOM
    1. 30 = 8
    2. 180 = 12
    3. 330 = -12
    4. 600 = -12
    5. 1k = -12
    6. 4k = -12
    7. 12k = -12
    8. 16k = -12

BAYUM!  Big @$$ BASS!  Vocals are almost a little recessed, but I don't turn up the volume any more as it actually makes my ears itch!  I might experiment with raising the vocals range in EQ for casual listening just to try and make them more prominent, but for the evaluation, I'm sticking with the established "Lower everything, then raise the bass until you like FEEL it." 
biggrin.gif

What's truly amazing is that I'm not listening to as much DUB or RAP as I thought I would be.  Here are tons of tracks from all styles of music that have amazed me on the SZ2000s.  I haven't listened to some of them literally for YEARS, but the SZ2000 just brings back ALL of the LOVE!
This just proves to me that there is reason to LOVE the SZ2000 for its BASS no matter what GENRES you prefer!
  1. "I Know There's Something Going On" by Frida  (Careful with this SERIOUSLY OLD one, it COULD hurt!)
  2. "Why Me?" by Planet P Project (Only song by them that will ensure that I NEVER forget this otherwise un-noteworthy band!
  3. "What Is Love? > RELOADED" by Haddaway (Oldie & Overplayed, but make SURE it's the RELOADED version, the others are just "okay"...)
  4. "Without Me" by Eminem
  5. Almost ANYTHING from the "BLOOD PLUS" OST (Hans Freakin' Zimmer is a Basshead GOD!  Who Knew?!?!?) Also, If you can stand Opera AT ALL, the "Diva" track... Goosebumps!
  6. "The Power Of Goodbye" by Madonna (Rumbles 'til the end.)
  7. "Demons" by Tech N9ne.  (Yeah, it's like that....)
  8. "Running With The Night" by Lionel Richie (Another fun classic track!)
  9. "Telephone" by Lady GaGa
  10. "Bad Romance" by Lady GaGa
  11. "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa
  12. "Guren No Yumiya" by Linked Horizon (Excellent piece made popular by "ATTACK ON TITAN" anime.  Be SURE to get the "Jiyuu he no Shingeki" version, not just the anime version)
  13. "Juyuu no Tsubasa" by Linked Horizon (Another excellent piece made popular by "ATTACK ON TITAN" anime.  Again, be SURE to get the "Jiyuu he no Shingeki" album version)
  14. "This Will Be The Day" by Casey Lee Williams 
  15. "Red Like Roses" & "Red Like Roses II" by Casey Lee Williams  Both songs thump enjoyably!
  16. "Key Of The Twilight" by Yuki Kajiura  (Almost too much non-stop bass!)  Fun "world Music" track!
  17. "In The Land Of Twilight" by Yuki Kajiura   Another fun "world Music" track.
  18. "The World" by Yuki Kajiura   Another fun "world Music" track.
  19. "Foreigners" from the HACK/SIGN OST
  20. "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Kim Wilde
  21. "Gutter Ballet" by Savatage (TRIVIA:  They are now known as The Trans Siberian Orchestra and I guarantee that you've heard "Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24" even if you didn't know it!)
  22. "I Will Not Go Quietly" by Don Henley
  23. "La Sagrada Familia" by Alan Parsons Project  You have to wait for it!  3:25 and on will reward the wait, but the full dynamics really kick in at 5:22
  24. "Love Is The Ritual" by Styx  (Yes, STYX!)
  25. "Hero" by Skillet
  26. "Rockin' In The Free World" By Bon Jovi (Originally done by Neil Young, and some will prefer the older version as it's a "Classic")
  27. "Dirty Diana" by Michael Jackson
  28. "BAD" by Michael Jackson (the cup-shaking never stops)
  29. "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits  Wait until after the drum strikes at around 1:34 before you give up.  Just fun!
  30. "Play The Game Tonight" by Kansas (Yes, I SAID KANSAS!)
  31. "You've Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest
  32. "Frontiers" or "Edge Of the Blade" by Journey
  33. "The Only One" by Evanescence  (Nice, slow-n-low rumble)
  34. "Edge Of A Broken Heart" by Vixen
  35. "Everything You Want" by Vertical Horizon
  36. "Fire Woman" by The Cult

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,303 of 12,991
  SO:

Having far too much fun with the SZ2000s!

Threw the Brainwavz pads on last night.  Probably should have done more listening with the original stock pads to do a true before/after, but I heard enough to know it was a step up sonically, and definitely much more comfortable than the original stock pads.  (Man....  Now I gotta' buy the HM5 extra thicks to see how THEY feel!)

Haven't set up to do a video yet.  Just chillin'.  These things are AMAZING.  I still say that the Photive PH-BTX6 headphones are great for the price ~$50 on sale plus good Bluetooth sound, but these just MURDER the Photives!

I'm surprised by how much I've wanted to go back and hunt through the collection to find songs that these SZ2000 just KILL.  Naturally, I used the "On My Level" by Wiz Khalifa for initial evaluation, and with my DX90 & iDSD MICRO I found HBB's recommendations work for me with (MICRO Settings):
  1. POT at 9-10 O'clock for listening volume
  2. XBASS ON
  3. 3D ON
  4. Power Mode set to TURBO 
  5. Filter set to BIT PERFECT
  6. IE Match set to OFF 
The connection to the DX90 is DIGITAL COAXIAL Forza Audio Works (FAW) short interconnect 3.5" to RCA so the MICRO is doing both DAC and AMP duty.  The DX90 is set to:
  1. FILTER = Sharp Roll-Off,  
  2. EQ = CUSTOM
    1. 30 = 8
    2. 180 = 12
    3. 330 = -12
    4. 600 = -12
    5. 1k = -12
    6. 4k = -12
    7. 12k = -12
    8. 16k = -12

BAYUM!  Big @$$ BASS!  Vocals are almost a little recessed, but I don't turn up the volume any more as it actually makes my ears itch!  I might experiment with raising the vocals range in EQ for casual listening just to try and make them more prominent, but for the evaluation, I'm sticking with the established "Lower everything, then raise the bass until you like FEEL it." 
biggrin.gif

What's truly amazing is that I'm not listening to as much DUB or RAP as I thought I would be.  Here are tons of tracks from all styles of music that have amazed me on the SZ2000s.  I haven't listened to some of them literally for YEARS, but the SZ2000 just brings back ALL of the LOVE!
This just proves to me that there is reason to LOVE the SZ2000 for its BASS no matter what GENRES you prefer!
  1. "I Know There's Something Going On" by Frida  (Careful with this SERIOUSLY OLD one, it COULD hurt!)
  2. "Why Me?" by Planet P Project (Only song by them that will ensure that I NEVER forget this otherwise un-noteworthy band!
  3. "What Is Love? > RELOADED" by Haddaway (Oldie & Overplayed, but make SURE it's the RELOADED version, the others are just "okay"...)
  4. "Without Me" by Eminem
  5. Almost ANYTHING from the "BLOOD PLUS" OST (Hans Freakin' Zimmer is a Basshead GOD!  Who Knew?!?!?) Also, If you can stand Opera AT ALL, the "Diva" track... Goosebumps!
  6. "The Power Of Goodbye" by Madonna (Rumbles 'til the end.)
  7. "Demons" by Tech N9ne.  (Yeah, it's like that....)
  8. "Running With The Night" by Lionel Richie (Another fun classic track!)
  9. "Telephone" by Lady GaGa
  10. "Bad Romance" by Lady GaGa
  11. "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa
  12. "Guren No Yumiya" by Linked Horizon (Excellent piece made popular by "ATTACK ON TITAN" anime.  Be SURE to get the "Jiyuu he no Shingeki" version, not just the anime version)
  13. "Juyuu no Tsubasa" by Linked Horizon (Another excellent piece made popular by "ATTACK ON TITAN" anime.  Again, be SURE to get the "Jiyuu he no Shingeki" album version)
  14. "This Will Be The Day" by Casey Lee Williams 
  15. "Red Like Roses" & "Red Like Roses II" by Casey Lee Williams  Both songs thump enjoyably!
  16. "Key Of The Twilight" by Yuki Kajiura  (Almost too much non-stop bass!)  Fun "world Music" track!
  17. "In The Land Of Twilight" by Yuki Kajiura   Another fun "world Music" track.
  18. "The World" by Yuki Kajiura   Another fun "world Music" track.
  19. "Foreigners" from the HACK/SIGN OST
  20. "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Kim Wilde
  21. "Gutter Ballet" by Savatage (TRIVIA:  They are now known as The Trans Siberian Orchestra and I guarantee that you've heard "Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24" even if you didn't know it!)
  22. "I Will Not Go Quietly" by Don Henley
  23. "La Sagrada Familia" by Alan Parsons Project  You have to wait for it!  3:25 and on will reward the wait, but the full dynamics really kick in at 5:22
  24. "Love Is The Ritual" by Styx  (Yes, STYX!)
  25. "Hero" by Skillet
  26. "Rockin' In The Free World" By Bon Jovi (Originally done by Neil Young, and some will prefer the older version as it's a "Classic")
  27. "Dirty Diana" by Michael Jackson
  28. "BAD" by Michael Jackson (the cup-shaking never stops)
  29. "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits  Wait until after the drum strikes at around 1:34 before you give up.  Just fun!
  30. "Play The Game Tonight" by Kansas (Yes, I SAID KANSAS!)
  31. "You've Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest
  32. "Frontiers" or "Edge Of the Blade" by Journey
  33. "The Only One" by Evanescence  (Nice, slow-n-low rumble)
  34. "Edge Of A Broken Heart" by Vixen
  35. "Everything You Want" by Vertical Horizon
  36. "Fire Woman" by The Cult

Try this for vocal and instrument separation
  1. 30 = 8
  2. 180 = 12
  3. 330 = -8
  4. 600 = 1
  5. 1k = -2
  6. 4k = 0
  7. 12k = 1
  8. 16k = 2

Glad you are enjoying.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #3,304 of 12,991
Just pulled the trigger on a TH600 from HeadRoom this morning during their 20% off sale. Hoping that I get better bass and better comfort from these over the HE-400. Can't wait for them to come in. Also in the search for a new DAC/amp now that I've sold my M&M stack.

Th600 are slamtastic  (with eq).

I am using a e12/X5 combo now so I really don't know much about stacking and pairing with the Th600
Good luck!

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #3,305 of 12,991
Bass heavy sounds good. What i want.
Or did you mean it negatively?

They are not available in EU.
I've found them in eBay US, and in amazon JP.
The sellers I've asked to in amazon do not ship here, so I'll have to use a specialized service as intermediary.
Where else can i find them?

Did you listen to ue9000 and sony mdr-xb950bt?
If yes, how do they compare to the AT?

If not, how could you describe the bass of the AT?
Slow or fast? Hard or soft? Warm or dark? Enough rumble? Punch?
Muffled and dull and with lot of air and puff like the Sony, or more material, solid, intense?

Was the overall detail and SQ ok?
Do you think with some EQ one can give them enough highs?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nobody?

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #3,307 of 12,991

ws99bt are more expensive but have more bass.

more money for more bass.
 I would get the ws99 because I am a basshead.

Yes, I have understood this :) And that is why I ask you.
Because I have discovered that I am also quite a basshead.
Although I think that this term is often wrongly used.
I am sure you would not listen to Alanis Morrisette with the same amount of bass which you will use for Dubstep, Techno, Hardstyle, Goa, or Hip Hop...

SO, all is relative.
I tend to boost bass always, but in the above mentioned genres, I never have enough bass.
The Sony is not solid, not intense, too much air. TO have a minimum intensity I must boost bass so much that it eats all other frequencies.
Fidelio and UE have wonderful quality of bass, and for most genres more than enough for me, but for some of the above mentioned not enough, especially dubstep.
Almost enough, though.

So, you did not try them?

Anyway, I was mostly asking if you could describe the quality of bass of the ws99bt.
If they have same airiy quality of the sony, without solidity and intensity, I would not be happy even if they have more quantity.
I need both more quantity and good quality.
I know that for many people it is also very important the impact, the feeling of air movement, the vibration of the cups.
But for me is important at first the intensity of the musicality of the bass, its detail and precision.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #3,308 of 12,991
This is the extreme bass thread and it's focus is along that line.
Impact.

Bass texture and other terms often mastered into tracks in the studio using compressors and filters on a giant deck is not something headphones can do as you know. They can play and reveal more or less one to another but exposure of that bass texture and refinement are more luck of driver and cavity combo like the Q40

I bought an X5 and it "reveals" more than my Cowon so it allows my SZ to sound more refined but it's the source not the cans.

I do not believe (IMO) any bt tech is as accurate as a hardwired line and thus the texture and/or quality of the bass is a notch below anyway. (IMO)

I have heard the ws99bt and the xb950

I am a basshead to the core. That is a branch of the audiophile tree. I understand you want some quality. I think the ws99 are better of what you listed and you will have to pay for better.

OFF TOPIC

Made a new X5 theme with an Xbass pre-set. I think it's the best mod ever made for the X5....

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #3,309 of 12,991
Hawaiibadboy: Have you heard the Sennheiser HD8 DJ? To my ears they have more bass in stock form (no eq) than any of my other bass cans. More than SZ2000 with thick hm5 pads for example. They are very uncomfortable though. Good for about 20-30 min 
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #3,310 of 12,991
  Hawaiibadboy: Have you heard the Sennheiser HD8 DJ? To my ears they have more bass in stock form (no eq) than any of my other bass cans. More than SZ2000 with thick hm5 pads for example. They are very uncomfortable though. Good for about 20-30 min 
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

cb's vid but I tested them twice when they were the rage last April?..May? They were not happy with that eq and amp so never made the top 10 but he insisted they join a sub category along with Q40 and Beats Mixr and the like that sound real good bass wise off a iphone and maybe amp but not with the big bass boost. I'll try and find that list

Here it is:
NOT TOP 10, BUT STILL RECOMMENDED!

imagejpg1-67.jpg

Drivers: 40mm

Form: Over Ear

Frequency Response: 8Hz-30kHz

Sensitivity: 115dB

Impedance: 95 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 20HZ-20KHZ

Sensitivity: 110db

Impedance: 32 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 20Hz-23kHz

Sensitivity: 110dB

Impedance: 16 ohms

Video

Form: On Ear

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity: Not Specified

Video

Frequency Response: 10Hz-20KHz

Sensitivity: 110db

Impedance: 64 ohms

Video

Drivers: 50mm

Frequency Response: 5Hz-30KHz

Sensitivity: 107db

Video

Frequency Response: 10Hz-22kHz

Sensitivity: 100dB

Impedance: 24 ohms

Video

Form: On Ear

Frequency Response: 3Hz-28kHz

Sensitivity: 106db

Impedance: 24 ohms

Video

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,311 of 12,991
Oh, I was curious about those Sennheiser HD8 DJ also. Right now I'm looking for more bass and better soundstage (but still good mids and highs for metal music etc), so I consider JVC SZ2000, Yamaha Pro 500 and those Sennheiser HD8. Any ideas what should I choose?

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #3,312 of 12,991
Oh, I was curious about those Sennheiser HD8 DJ also. Right now I'm looking for more bass and better soundstage (but still good mids and highs for metal music etc), so I consider JVC SZ2000, Yamaha Pro 500 and those Sennheiser HD8. Any ideas what should I choose?

I am admittedly biased as I am still in the "Honeymoon phase" with my SZ2000 that just arrived on Friday, but in truth, I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Sennheiser HD-650s and Koss PortaPros as well. I can tell you with an objectivity that I could not have had before that ther is no longer a "Best Headphone" for me anymore though. Each of my current headphones fills a role.

• My HD-650s are my best all-rounders when I want to get lost in anything mainstream or classical
  • My PortaPros are the best for travel (Hospital break rooms or hotel rooms) Great balance of hi and mid detail, decent soundstage, nice bass, and great dynamic range. (Modded leather ear-pads to get all this, mind you.)
  • My Photive PH-BTX6 are the best travel bluetooth headphones I've ever owned. Good sound blocking, and great bass.
  • My SZ2000 are a bass playground. Sure they EQ better than anything and deliver the LAYERS of bass instead of just a single bass hit. But they are also just damn fun!

With those values in mind, I offer the following opinion:

The SZ2000s are worth twice their price easily as far as I'm concerned. They are extremely versatile

They can out-bass anything I've ever heard, but that's a given. More importantly concerning bass, common songs that I've listened to for YEARS are revealing new aspects that I never realized before when I just listen to them without "extreme basshead EQ". For instance, I used to think that David Bowie's "Modern Love" had a hard/deep hitting beat... Now I've learned that while it is indeed a driving beat, it's quite weak compared to say, Dido's "Here With Me", Mike & The Mechanic's "Silent Running", or even The Scorpion's "Rythm Of Love".

Best of all as far as I'm concerned, I can now actually tell WHAT is making the deep bass sounds. I never used to be able to tell what part/percentage of a thump was drum hit, bass pluck, or string because it all used to present as a single sound. (Even with the HD-650s and Grado SR.-225e which are both extremely detail revealing in the HIs and MIDs)

Pink Floyd takes on a whole new level of complexity, as does Roger Waters, ELP, Alan Parsons, and MICHAEL JACKSON. (Yes, Michael Jackson!). I never realized all the "hidden crap" he had squirreled-away in his songs until this year, and now the SZ2000 have brought out more in the low end that I never realized was there.

Then again, I've just laughed my ass off re-listening to "Liscenced To ILL", so I'm in a really good mood now. :D

My advice; take the plunge, grab some SZ2000s so you don't have to wonder if you could have done better, grab some Brainwavz thick large ear-pads to replace the stock SZ2000 pads, and break out some Biggie Smalls, Bob Marley, Far East Movement, 2 Live Crew, or Snoop Dog (Drop ItLike It's Hot!). Your ears will wonder what you were listening to before!

THEN Amp, Gain, BOOST, and EQ those bad boys into BASSHEAD "Ground Zero", and feel the kick like you've never heard outside of REALLY GOOD club sound systems in the comfort of your own living room!

Ken N.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,314 of 12,991
Hi is there a good way to eq in windows to get that Cowon + e12 bass sound.  I have a desktop headphone amp and some JVC HA-MR77x headphones.  Is there some settings you guys can recommend or a good equalizer that can give me dat cowon bass.  I find if I turn up the 77's up to loud the plastic starts rattling when I press them up against my ears just a bit the rattling stops Think it's caused by the crappy seal I get with the earpads.  Probably going to buy some HM5 pads.  Any help will be appreciated.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #3,315 of 12,991
Do you find it hard to go back to other headphones? Does it feel like the bottom end is just missing from other headphones after hearing the sz2ks?

How can I put it? It's like being introduced to your favorite dessert for the very first time... Right now I can't get enough of it. But just like there are times you don't want something sweet, there are times that I am going to want to go back to the HD-650. It is a more "lyrical" headphone is the best way that I can put it. When you want to just lose yourself in ALL of the qualities of music, vocals, instrumentals, percussion, their positions relative to each other, even the sound of the air and movements in the studio with really well done recordings are ALL there and clear as day with the HD-650s. The SZ2000s do everything well to my ears when EQ'd to do so. (Need to bring up parts of the MIDs and Vocals). These are easily the widest soundstage closed headphones I own or have auditioned to my recollection. Not huge, but solid, and substantial sound straight out of my iPads and iPhones. The best sound straight from them had been the Koss PortaPros until now. Then when you add an AMP, (I've played with both the FIIO e17 and the iDSD Micro) the SZ2000s just become BASS MONSTERs. I CAN'T push them to their limit when "Bass-heading" because it actually starts to make my ear canals itch when I use the iDSD Micro, not because they are too loud! (I can max-out the FIIO e17 easily, but it has much less power than the iDSD Micro does!)

So to answer your question the way I would want the answer: No. I do not feel like the bottom end is missing with my other headphones. The HD-650s have plenty of BASS for "normal" listening, and the PortaPros aren't bad at all either. The PH-BTX6 and VMODA Bass-FREQs (in that order) are actually bass-heavy to begin with. For the record, the PH-BTX6 can do the exact same EQ and amp settings as the SZ2000s and actually sounds pretty damn good! I won't do the same with my HD-650s. They can handle those settings pretty well, but I'd be nervous about doing it for prolonged periods. I'm a bit paranoid about blowing a diaphragm on an almost $500 headphone that's specifically-meant for precise audio detail. Maybe unjustified, but I'm just not interested in risking it!

• Straight from my iBASSO DX90 for vocal/audiobooks and Classical (Piano or female voice) I prefer my Koss PortaPros. For everything else, the SZ2000s without basshead EQ and moderately raised MIDs I like better.
  • Amped from my DX90 or iPads/iPhones it's a toss-up between the HD-650s (flat EQ) and SZ2000s (raised MIDs EQ) depending on the type of music and whether I'm just listening to lose myself in the music (HD-650s) or just listening for "fun" (SZ2000s).
  • When going full-on Basshead, there is no contest. SZ2000s
  • When using the iDSD as DAC and amping through the media center, HD-650s, as there just is no contest between the clarity and detail you get from them.
This list obviously doesn't take portability into account as there is nothing that checks all the boxes like the PortaPros if I'm just out and about. On a plane/train, or wirelessly via Bluetooth, the PH-BTX6 straight from my iPhone is king because of its sound isolation and not having to worry about sound bleed through and bothering my neighbors seated in the same row. If I really want to not stand out, then it's the UE Super.Fi3 IEMs for classical.vocals and the VMODA Bass FREQs for POP, JPOP, DUB, Rap, House, Reggae, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back