The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #2,371 of 12,991
  I have the O2 connected to the 3.5mm jack directly on the motherboard. Then the headphones are connected to the O2 by 3.5mm again. With a DAC and digital cable coming from my MB to the O2 give me the difference I'm looking for? Thank you for the patience as obviously I'm a huge noob here. I don't see an EQ knob on your Magni, and there isn't one on the O2 either. How do I adjust the EQ? Is this through a DAC (which I don't have, but will get if that is what you think I need) or through software? Thanks!

I EQ'ed via my MP3 player... (right now, using AK100 MK2).
On the PC, depends on which software you are using. If you use FooBar, there are available equalization options same for a bunch of different software.

A DAC might help overall sound reproduction since usual integrated PC motherboard solutions just plain suck really. But again, it's a question of preference. Sometimes I use my PC sound card output with NO amps even! But, not for the JVCs...

I'm at work right now, so I can't do the paper test. I'm not sure how I would be able to adjust the sub base or eq any more. The O2 amp only has a 1 press EQ button, on or off, and it definitely sounds better with it on. The other amps I see recommended don't have any EQ knob at all. How do you boost the sub bass? 

To your edit: I got these for RAP and hip hop. I got the O2 amp because it was highly regarded on this forum and was very reasonable priced at $129. The top desktop amps seem to be 300+ here. Will a DAC + optical cable running from mb give me what I'm looking for? Is there software you use to adjust the levels youre talking about?

What you are referring on the O2 (with regards to a button) is the "GAIN" switch! This basically outputs MORE power for higher impedance headphones (you think it sounds better because you are just providing more power, hence more volume can be attained and that might make some cans like the JVC sound "better").

The O2 is "highly regarded" not for basshead, but because they measure well and are pretty much "neutral" and a good option for people starting out. But, as you can see from the first post, most people use their MP3 players with Equalization option and DSP effects paired with amps (you will not see O2s on most of these set ups.).

If you buy a DAC, you can just connect the PC to it via USB (no need for an optical cable). And yes, depending on what playback software you are using in your PC, you will have different EQ options.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2,372 of 12,991
  I'm at work right now, so I can't do the paper test. I'm not sure how I would be able to adjust the sub base or eq any more. The O2 amp only has a 1 press EQ button, on or off, and it definitely sounds better with it on. The other amps I see recommended don't have any EQ knob at all. How do you boost the sub bass? 

To your edit: I got these for RAP and hip hop. I got the O2 amp because it was highly regarded on this forum and was very reasonable priced at $129. The top desktop amps seem to be 300+ here. Will a DAC + optical cable running from mb give me what I'm looking for? Is there software you use to adjust the levels youre talking about?

Oh man...why didn't you say so?

You gonna be fine
biggrin.gif

If these came out the box banging you woulda known about em...everybody would. These need a lift...literally . The plus is they go harder before distortion than anything on the market when playing 30-85Hz which is where a lot of your favorite hits are born.

Trust me.

I promise you the hardest hit you have ever heard through a headphone but you gotta go hard cuz these are not low volume cans. The bass will be causing temporary hearing loss and the mids and highs will all be coming together right then.

I'm in Japan so the time diff might make this take a bit but if Hip Hop is your thing DO NOT let go of these if you already got the pads changed.

You gonna have a big grin on your face when we get this **** squared away right

ANyone with a good eq rec please jump in as a PC is not my first link in the chain so I could...he could use some help

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2,373 of 12,991

I EQ'ed via my MP3 player... (right now, using AK100 MK2).
On the PC, depends on which software you are using. If you use FooBar, there are available equalization options same for a bunch of different software.

A DAC might help overall sound reproduction since usual integrated PC motherboard solutions just plain suck really. But again, it's a question of preference. Sometimes I use my PC sound card output with NO amps even! But, not for the JVCs...

What you are referring on the O2 (with regards to a button) is the "GAIN" switch! This basically outputs MORE power for higher impedance headphones (you think it sounds better because you are just providing more power, hence more volume can be attained and that might make some cans like the JVC sound "better").

The O2 is "highly regarded" not for basshead, but because they measure well and are pretty much "neutral" and a good option for people starting out. But, as you can see from the first post, most people use their MP3 players with Equalization option and DSP effects paired with amps (you will not see O2s on most of these set ups.).

If you buy a DAC, you can just connect the PC to it via USB (no need for an optical cable). And yes, depending on what playback software you are using in your PC, you will have different EQ options.

Dang, hahaha. Well, I'm using spotify for my music right now, streaming with "high quality". Is there no software built for synthesizing /equalizing music as a stand along program, that is not built into a music player? 

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,374 of 12,991

Oh man...why didn't you say so?

You gonna be fine
biggrin.gif

If these came out the box banging you woulda known about em...everybody would. These need a lift...literally . The plus is they go harder before distortion than anything on the market when playing 30-85Hz which is where a lot of your favorite hits are born.

Trust me.

I promise you the hardest hit you have ever heard through a headphone but you gotta go hard cuz these are not low volume cans. The bass will be causing temporary hearing loss and the mids and highs will all be coming together right then.

I'm in Japan so the time diff might make this take a bit but if Hip Hop is your thing DO NOT let go of these if you already got the pads changed.

You gonna have a big grin on your face when we get this **** squared away right

ANyone with a good eq rec please jump in as a PC is not my first link in the chain so I could...he could use some help

Wow, thanks man. This just made me feel a lot better about my purchase. I think you're right. I may buy a DAC and play around with some EQ software on my desktop. Yes, I already got the pads changed too. Word up to your profile pic as well, was blasting some tupac last night on these puppies. I just need to find the right adjustments. Built in windows 7 is complete **** for adjusting sound levels so I'm trying to figure something out that does not require a music player as I stream my music.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,375 of 12,991
DELETED: didn't read very carefully

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #2,376 of 12,991
  Wow, thanks man. This just made me feel a lot better about my purchase. I think you're right. I may buy a DAC and play around with some EQ software on my desktop. Yes, I already got the pads changed too. Word up to your profile pic as well, was blasting some tupac last night on these puppies. I just need to find the right adjustments. Built in windows 7 is complete **** for adjusting sound levels so I'm trying to figure something out that does not require a music player as I stream my music.

Bro I spent many days on many trips to headphone shops here in Japan
I spent so much time hunting for a harder hit it caused my chick to get pissed. What girl wants to go on a date and stop by every electronics store?? Not my chick

You own the KING.

Raising the bass down to the 30Hz area is the goal but to start off

SZ on the BASS table

I was slamming the **** out of my head with some U.G.K 2 hours ago.
If I gave you a credit card and told you to go nutz and money was no object you wouldn't find a better set for Hip Hop.

The e/12 amp by fiio is a confirmed good match with these. I dunno about the O2 but if that's the way we do it that's the way. Is it new? If hip hop is your thing you might wanna send THAT back and get an e12 for about the same price and it puts out more power and has a small but low bass boost switch perfectly placed

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,377 of 12,991
Do you use chrome??
This is dope. (goes down to 30Hz)

I use a Cowon to an e12
or
ipad to an e12

I've not tried the PC route yet so this is new for me ...that's a good thing for the next person that comes along with a PC as the source.

EDIT

This is for Youtube I guess and it sucks?

For iOS

Man bass boosting streaming music......

biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,378 of 12,991
  Do you use chrome??
This is dope. (goes down to 30Hz)

I use a Cowon to an e12
or
ipad to an e12

I've not tried the PC route yet so this is new for me ...that's a good thing for the next person that comes along with a PC as the source.

EDIT

This is for Youtube I guess and it sucks?

For iOS

Man bass boosting streaming music......

biggrin.gif

Haha perfect gif. I appreciate the help. Just requested RMA for the O2, 2 days left to return it. I didn't know the E12 had bass boost. I actually owned the E11 about a month ago and didn't know you couldn't use it while plugged in, so I returned it for the O2. With the E12 and maybe some EQ software if I can find some (hell, I'm a software engineer, I may just make my own), do you think a DAC would help still?

What do you think about the C5 + DAC combo? Has multidirectional Bass boost as well as a built in DAC

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,379 of 12,991
  Haha perfect gif. I appreciate the help. Just requested RMA for the O2, 2 days left to return it. I didn't know the E12 had bass boost. I actually owned the E11 about a month ago and didn't know you couldn't use it while plugged in, so I returned it for the O2. With the E12 and maybe some EQ software if I can find some (hell, I'm a software engineer, I may just make my own), do you think a DAC would help still?

What do you think about the C5 + DAC combo? Has multidirectional Bass boost as well as a built in DAC

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

I'm apparently a moron cuz I got no idea What multidirectional bass is?
It has an off/med/high switch?
confused.gif

Return the O2 since your a basshead or at least like Hip Hop....same think pretty much. I know the e12 has the power for the SZ and the bass boost is low in the sub-bass region so it's a good start.

If you have an iphone or ipad your set...******* SET!!!

They got an epic app that works very nicely with the e12 in the middle.

Your source is where most of the tweaking should go on and the amp should be boosting that tweaked signal and giving it a minor polish at most  before passing it to your headphones.
The e12 works so good because the sub-bass boost is light and low and is frosting on the cake. The meat of the tweak should be done before is gets boosted.

The e12 is a known and proven way to throw clean power at any can we have tested and work very good with the SZ.

That leaves the source/dac as the "?" This is kinda going backwards but since you got the pads and cans you already have the main piece. If you switch the amp you got 2 of 3 and then it's the source and that can be had via multiple avenues so no worry on that.

Like I said if you have an ipad (that would be ******* awesome) or iphone (that would be a slightly lighter shade of ******* awesome) we are already done.

I am in Japan so gotta sleep but these are facts/known points

1. You have epic/most videod bass cans on the ******* planet earth
  2. You fixed the weak point already (pads)
  3. Your maybe willing to switch the amp out
  4. The last part is maybe just software (******* algorithms ...) or at worse a DAP

Planet bass is right around the corner. 2pac and the gang are ******* waiting on you bru!
biggrin.gif

If you have an idevice you can find the exact beat and match the boost and really go stupid stuuuuupid crazy. The Cowon has this beat in overall but in specific track optimizing these 2 apps are nuts. Find it...boost it, save the slope...rinse and repeat. God help me but I find this to be fun as hell. I got OCD bro. I need to know where everything is including the bass hits so I can boost that stuff.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2,380 of 12,991

I'm apparently a moron cuz I got no idea What multidirectional bass is?
It has an off/med/high switch?
confused.gif

Return the O2 since your a basshead or at least like Hip Hop....same think pretty much. I know the e12 has the power for the SZ and the bass boost is low in the sub-bass region so it's a good start.

If you have an iphone or ipad your set...******* SET!!!

They got an epic app that works very nicely with the e12 in the middle.

Your source is where most of the tweaking should go on and the amp should be boosting that tweaked signal and giving it a minor polish at most  before passing it to your headphones.
The e12 works so good because the sub-bass boost is light and low and is frosting on the cake. The meat of the tweak should be done before is gets boosted.

The e12 is a known and proven way to throw clean power at any can we have tested and work very good with the SZ.

That leaves the source/dac as the "?" This is kinda going backwards but since you got the pads and cans you already have the main piece. If you switch the amp you got 2 of 3 and then it's the source and that can be had via multiple avenues so no worry on that.

Like I said if you have an ipad (that would be ******* awesome) or iphone (that would be a slightly lighter shade of ******* awesome) we are already done.

I am in Japan so gotta sleep but these are facts/known points

1. You have epic/most videod bass cans on the ******* planet earth
  2. You fixed the weak point already (pads)
  3. Your maybe willing to switch the amp out
  4. The last part is maybe just software (******* algorithms ...) or at worse a DAP

Planet bass is right around the corner. 2pac and the gang are ******* waiting on you bru!
biggrin.gif

If you have an idevice you can find the exact beat and match the boost and really go stupid stuuuuupid crazy. The Cowon has this beat in overall but in specific track optimizing these 2 apps are nuts. Find it...boost it, save the slope...rinse and repeat. God help me but I find this to be fun as hell. I got OCD bro. I need to know where everything is including the bass hits so I can boost that stuff.

yessssssss, YESSSSS YES!!!!!! I'm getting excited now 

I
'm returning the O2. Ideally for me, would be a highly reviewed desktop AMP + DAC combo, powered by AC, with EQ + bass boost. I'm on the hunt!!!!!

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,383 of 12,991
Has there been a bass test on the sony z7?  I know Hawaii bad boy doesent like them.  The 70 mm drivers should be able to be eqed?  Has there been any tests on the mdr ma900?  The xb1000 is almost unobtainable.  I am very close to pulling the trigger on the ma900's as they seem to be dropping in price, maybe due to the z7. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,384 of 12,991
  I use spotify on my desktop and this is what i use.  

http://www.equalify.me/

Nice find!  Hopefully this will help me to love Spotify even more on my Surface Pro 2.

Pimp status. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back