The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Sep 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #2,116 of 12,991
I've been thinking the same thing, but it would cost people money to do... Although it would be more accurate, but if people can get a seal with the paper and do it correctly, it should work.

Well, sound meters aren't that expensive, and I don't think $20-40 (well more if you want one that does a lot) is going to dent anyone's wallets (especially if you can afford some expensive headphones), especially when said equipment has much more utility than just measuring a headphone's output loudness.
  You missed the long ago posts with a dB meter and misunderstood the entire purpose of this thread which is finding the cans that provide enough bass/low frequency energy by sheer driver quality and force or driver and housing resonating /vibrating combo to be felt on the head through the pads.

Appreciate you taking the time but this thread is basshead not sound science. 
wink.gif

Just yo humor me ....or you....you could use our not so Scientific way and see how much air and energy your cans are hurling out.
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I just read those posts, but I did not misunderstand this thread in the slightest. I was simply proposing that instead of doing the paper test, or as an alternate option to measure how loud the bass is, to use a sound meter. In a way, the paper test is no less scientific than using a sound level meter. The paper test gives you more tangible and audible feedback, whereas the dB meter gives you more discrete, accurate, consistent, and easily repeatable results. Both methods are mediums that reflect on the driver's bass reproduction.

I did the paper test to the best of my ability (kinda hard to get the paper in the right place), and it's a bit above the TH900.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,117 of 12,991
Well, sound meters aren't that expensive, and I don't think $20-40 (well more if you want one that does a lot) is going to dent anyone's wallets (especially if you can afford some expensive headphones), especially when said equipment has much more utility than just measuring a headphone's output loudness.
Yeah, I just read those posts, but I did not misunderstand this thread in the slightest. I was simply proposing that instead of doing the paper test, or as an alternate option to measure how loud the bass is, to use a sound meter. In a way, the paper test is no less scientific than using a sound level meter. The paper test gives you more tangible and audible feedback, whereas the dB meter gives you more discrete, accurate, consistent, and easily repeatable results. Both methods are mediums that reflect on the driver's bass reproduction.

I did the paper test to the best of my ability (kinda hard to get the paper in the right place), and it's a bit above the TH900.

Also - bass/paper test videos give a visual demonstration that just measurements just don't convey.

For example - you've just stated that you did the bass/paper test on your cans and they were a bit above the TH900 - that's quite some claim - why didn't you record it and post it here for all to see?

We'd have banged your cans on either the top 10 or recommended list if your video backed up your claims in a heart beat and it would have benefited the extreme bass club and head-fi members at large considerably to actually see it for their own eyes.

So, you are cordially invited to perform the bass/paper test on your cans and capture it on video for all to see - welcome to the extreme bass club dude :beerchug:

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #2,118 of 12,991
Well, I don't have any video recording equipment (I refuse to use a smartphone for personal reasons, and I'm not spending money on a camcorder and whatnot. These are also completely custom headphones (look at my avatar pic) and a one of a kind, so it wouldn't matter if I did a video of it or not.

I'm not trying to lie about my headphones' bass performance because I've already given you guys some dB results on how they perform, but I can't upload a video, nor do I want to. But I guess for those still doubtful on my claims, then feel free to view me as a liar since I'm not in the position to truly back up my claims beyond what I've already done.

Anyways, I wonder how the LCD-Xs perform? I've always wanted to know how well they scale with added bass, and seeing that they're planars drivers, which are known for measuring extremely well in the bass department, and they're able to take some power, they might be the next headphones for me in the future.

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,119 of 12,991
Razer Kraken Pro
 ​
 ​

​
Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing.
 ​
 ​
Test Conditions

Source: HTC One M8 with BoomSound playing
Test tracks: Bass Mekanik Competition Hertz

Amp: FiioE11 with 2nd bass boost switch on, gain: 11db
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,120 of 12,991
Well, I don't have any video recording equipment (I refuse to use a smartphone for personal reasons, and I'm not spending money on a camcorder and whatnot. These are also completely custom headphones (look at my avatar pic) and a one of a kind, so it wouldn't matter if I did a video of it or not.

I'm not trying to lie about my headphones' bass performance because I've already given you guys some dB results on how they perform, but I can't upload a video, nor do I want to. But I guess for those still doubtful on my claims, then feel free to view me as a liar since I'm not in the position to truly back up my claims beyond what I've already done.

Anyways, I wonder how the LCD-Xs perform? I've always wanted to know how well they scale with added bass, and seeing that they're planars drivers, which are known for measuring extremely well in the bass department, and they're able to take some power, they might be the next headphones for me in the future.

Dude, with all due respect - nobody is calling you anything and making a 3 minute video is not the hurdle you have made it out to be - we even have our own YT channel that you could host it on.

Believe me - there's nothing stopping you from making and sharing a video.

With regards the Audeze LCD-X - I have those headphones and because they are opened back rather than closed, then perhaps using a SPL meter may be more applicable fin that instance?

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,121 of 12,991
[COLOR=00FF00]Razer Kraken Pro[/COLOR]​

​

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing.

​

​

Test Conditions

Source: HTC One M8 with BoomSound playing

Test tracks: Bass Mekanik Competition Hertz

Amp: FiioE11 with 2nd bass boost switch on, gain: 11db
Recommend:

THE KRAKEN RETURNS & IS AT FULL STRENGTH!...
...BUT IS IT ENOUGH TO OVERTHROW
THE V-MODA M-100's?

Test video: 2
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/LljF7Sb-rM0[/VIDEO]​

Test video: 1

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/POlF0Jr_94Y[/VIDEO]​

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing
Test tracks: Bass Mekanik - "Competition Hertz"

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on, gain: 16dB
Recommend:

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,122 of 12,991
Here ya go. Stole one of my friend's phones
biggrin.gif

​

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with two fingers holding/sealing
Test Conditions

Source:Foobar2K with about 12dB boost on equalizer​
 ​
12dB lowpass filter (to attenuate high frequencies to hear the bass and paper better - they were too loud)​
 ​
Test track: Booma & Cannibal - "Shot Caller"

Amp: Onkyo Reciever using L/R speaker channel outputs instead of phono, and 10dB bass boost in settings
Recommend:
 ​
That clicking sound you hear when I remove the paper is the membrane hitting the inside of the grill. There is no sound like that when the headphones are on my head. The drivers have trouble controlling themselves at loud volumes, so the airtight seal paired with the clamping force gives the drivers the necessary backpressure to keep them under control and not hit the grill.​

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2,123 of 12,991
Here ya go. Stole one of my friend's phones :D

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with two fingers holding/sealing
Test Conditions

Source:Foobar2K with about 12dB boost on equalizer​
 ​
12dB lowpass filter (to attenuate high frequencies to hear the bass and paper better - they were too loud)​
 ​
Test track: Booma & Cannibal - "Shot Caller"

Amp: Onkyo Reciever using L/R speaker channel outputs instead of phono, and 10dB bass boost in settings
Recommend:
 ​
That clicking sound you hear when I remove the paper is distortion. There is no distortion when the headphones are on my head. The drivers have trouble controlling themselves at loud volumes, so the airtight seal paired with the clamping force gives the drivers the necessary backpressure to keep them under control and not distort.​

[COLOR=FF00AA]HELL YEAH! [/COLOR]

Like the track you used too.

Is there no way you could have positioned the top earcup to hold paper in position? (I know through experience that this can be tricky to find sweet spot and clamping forces vary amongst different headphones).

If you used Wiz Khalifa's track - "On my level" also, it would be good to compare against other cans too.

But nonetheless, those cans look bad ass bass cans for sure :)

Big thanks for making it and putting it up here - awesome stuff & very cool to watch :cool:

If you get the time, I'd like to hear your opinion of our current clash of the titans - Kraken Pro Vs V-Moda M-100 (videos just above your video post) as to which appears to hit the hardest? :)

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #2,124 of 12,991
No way whatsoever. If you look at my avatar pic, my headphone cups don't swivel at all, and the clamping force bent the paper so that the other end was poking a couple inches up. It was impossible for me to position it right, so I had to use my fingers instead. I had my headphones like this when I was testing:

That's an older picture, and I've done slightly more modifications to them since then. That's their default position too. 

Oh, and I don't use songs not worthy of being played through my headphones
biggrin.gif

As for M-100 vs Kraken Pro: M-100. They're close enough in the videos, but I know for a fact that the M-100 has more potential. Larger driver size (40mm vs 50mm) means less movement to create the same dB level at any frequency. Throw some real power on it and the Kraken Pro will cap out while the M-100 keeps on going. 

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #2,125 of 12,991
No way whatsoever. If you look at my avatar pic, my headphone cups don't swivel at all, and the clamping force bent the paper so that the other end was poking a couple inches up. It was impossible for me to position it right, so I had to use my fingers instead. I had my headphones like this when I was testing:

That's an older picture, and I've done slightly more modifications to them since then. That's their default position too. 

Oh, and I don't use songs not worthy of being played through my headphones :D

As for M-100 vs Kraken Pro: M-100. They're close enough in the videos, but I know for a fact that the M-100 has more potential. Larger driver size (40mm vs 50mm) means less movement to create the same dB level at any frequency. Throw some real power on it and the Kraken Pro will cap out while the M-100 keeps on going. 

Intresting looking cans.

The Kraken may be 40mm but they've handled anything I've thrown at them. The drivers are pretty powerful

cb3723

Close one. Having a hard time calling it. I would have to say it's a draw. Maybe we should have a 2nd round using a different track

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,127 of 12,991
Intresting looking cans.

The Kraken may be 40mm but they've handled anything I've thrown at them. The drivers are pretty powerful

@cb3723

Close one. Having a hard time calling it. I would have to say it's a draw. Maybe we should have a 2nd round using a different track

Sounds good - lets hear what HBB thinks and maybe he can call it or pick a new track if he calls it a draw?

Be good to hear how others see/call it too 
smily_headphones1.gif

To me the Kraken looks to hit a bit harder on a few of the higher cycles, but the v-moda hit harder on a few of the lower cycles - its a tough one for sure, but for 40mm drivers - the Krakens hit way above their weight 
cool.gif

But I think another track fight out is a good idea as it's so close on the current track (IMO)

ps - love the football gifs - they're a good reflection of the battle for sure :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back