The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #152 of 12,993
unless you break the wires or snap the headband...

If you stay slow and methodical that should not happen.

carrying a screw across the front of a driver in a cage or not can get the screw sucked out of your hand and sucked/slammed into the diaphragm dome. 
The screws are small and the magnet strong. Watch out for that soul crushing moment.

May 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #153 of 12,993
If you stay slow and methodical that should not happen.

carrying a screw across the front of a driver in a cage or not can get the screw sucked out of your hand and sucked/slammed into the diaphragm dome. 
The screws are small and the magnet strong. Watch out for that soul crushing moment.

I've played around with neodymium magnets before (ah, ol' Buckyballs; I kinda miss those), and I have to tell ya, they're strong as f'k.

Listening to my new and improved Pros as I type this, and I could feel more of that bass coming through (although I will try to experiment with the cover on the centre hole to see if electrical tape could block more of that air and allow only the air in the little holes to pass through). Still need more bass tho, will check back with my Krakens to feed my basshead cravings as of late.

I'm also in the process of carbon fibre'ing my Pros and Pistons, because CARBON FIBRE ALL THE THINGS.

May 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #154 of 12,993
I've played around with neodymium magnets before (ah, ol' Buckyballs; I kinda miss those), and I have to tell ya, they're strong as f'k.

Listening to my new and improved Pros as I type this, and I could feel more of that bass coming through (although I will try to experiment with the cover on the centre hole to see if electrical tape could block more of that air and allow only the air in the little holes to pass through). Still need more bass tho, will check back with my Krakens to feed my basshead cravings as of late.

I'm also in the process of carbon fibre'ing my Pros and Pistons, because CARBON FIBRE ALL THE THINGS.

Is the only difference between the standard Krakens and pro the Mic? The specs are exactly the same. Love my standard Krakens. They don't disappoint.

May 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #155 of 12,993
O.K. so clearly the diaphragm is being vented from that pole piece.  You can see through the driver from one end to the other.

The problem is the one single vent is acting like a vacuum on high power and affecting the rear surface of the diaphragm.

If you hold a light on one side of the driver assembly you should see the holes around the driver which are now covered.
If the circuit is at 6pm you wanna identify the holes at 9pm and 3pm...directly across from each other

Your driver is not identical but has a larger venting.
I'd cover the hole on the magnet/backingplate and poke 3 holes in it with a pin/thumbtack. Your allowing it to breath but forcing the issue to the two holes opened at 3pm and 9pm
I'm gonna assume you have steady hands and are not drunk.
Gently open the 2 holes. open them fully. Do not let anything fall into the holes.

Your creating a better vented diaphragm and taking the vacuum away which limits amp headroom in every case I have done which is 4 different cans now. The 4 have better bass and all eat more amp.

Found a picture of the Krakens driver on the internet and they are open without a vent. So, I guess no modding is necessary.

May 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #156 of 12,993

My mod is actually covering the vent in the pole completely but that driver you got has a huge vent in the pole. Covering it completely is the next original step.
It's a pain to go through the process for most but for me it's fun. Once you hit the right combo your maxing out the driver better than the original engineers did. 

Good luck with the carbon fiber...wear a hospital mask... if you breath any of that in.......best not to.

May 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #157 of 12,993
Is the only difference between the standard Krakens and pro the Mic? The specs are exactly the same. Love my standard Krakens. They don't disappoint.

Yep. That's the only difference, which is why I got the Pros instead of the base model. Besides, my old mic broke, and I needed a mic for my gaming needs.

May 30, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #158 of 12,993

Found a picture of the Krakens driver on the internet and they are open without a vent. So, I guess no modding is necessary.

Closed pole with 2 vents....that's pretty much it.
I'd open them on opposing sides for high gain balance but they should already be fine.
No risking warranty for you
biggrin.gif

Congrats...just enjoy what you got.

May 31, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #161 of 12,993
Not sure.
When I modded the Akai which are pure-breed Studio cans. The changes to the sound were very clear. Every mod sounded different.

These 2 side by side caused a wobble/flutter only under amp. Couldn't catch it with an ipod but amp it and it was clearly about to lose it.

Spread them across from each other (still 2 holes) and cover the pole piece/backing plate and I could increase 45Hz and amp more.

The 77x already hammered but ...what the hell...I never use em'
Covered the back and opened 2 opposite holes (all the holes breathe through a kinda mesh already) and I could climb +4dB at 45Hz.) and my amp gain headroom was clearly visually improved. I know where that knob went just before distortion and it goes past there now.

The lower bass extension is better because of the driver diaphragm being "free aired" kinda
Upper bass maybe a side effect of volume? It's just louder maybe?

EDIT:
If the signal is "muddy" for example a 45Hz note and 55Hz note just blending into one another than the mod is not right for the driver. It needs to be reverted or modified.
I took the Akai apart 11 times? 13 times? x2 cups
frown.gif

But the response was so clearly different it was fun to find the correct mod. Studio cans were great for a ref. Bass cans are already tuned.
Mud should never be a result.

May 31, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #162 of 12,993
Based on this great thread I just ordered the JVC HA-Z2000. The fact that their bass is rated higher than Signature DJ is very impressive to me because the bass from the Sig DJs are end game level IMO. I can't wait to hear these babies once I get them in about a week. Thanks HawaiiBoy for the great input.

May 31, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #163 of 12,993
  Based on this great thread I just ordered the JVC HA-Z2000. The fact that their bass is rated higher than Signature DJ is very impressive to me because the bass from the Sig DJs are end game level IMO. I can't wait to hear these babies once I get them in about a week. Thanks HawaiiBoy for the great input.

You need to change the pads 

Original

Cannibalized JVC 55X firm pleather for Bass impact

HM5 and Alpha Dogs pic courtesy of @intlsubband

DT770 Velour pic courtesy of @pietcux

Alpha Pads pic courtesy of @Stereolab42

Sig DJ have great bass but not sz level. IMO not really close. Not from 70Hz and down.
Sz require eq and amp along with the pads. 

There is a community of owners HERE
They can help better than I ...I'm just a basshead. The sz can do more than play Hip-Hop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back