The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,518 of 12,991

The Carnage Left From TH FOSTEX Bros......

LOL!!
That looks about right
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #1,522 of 12,991

​

​

CLASH OF TITANS

FOSTEX TH900
Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing
Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing
Test tracks: cb3723 Bassageddon Brutal Mix

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on, gain: 16dB
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Notes: First time I did the paper/bass test with the TH900, I didn't realise I had the Fiio E12 bass boost turned off - this new test has it switched ON.

Take special note that throughout the test their is NO distortion - especially noticeable on the vocals on the Wiz Khalifa track "On my level".

Also understand that these cans are fuggin expensive, and with that in mind also understand that I haven't pushed them to their limits of driver distortion, as I don't want to fugg these beauties - I estimate I pushed them to around 80% before they would show the first signs of distortion!

These cans push some of the CLEANEST sub bass I've seen, and they do it through 50mm drivers that are a pure work of art, crafted by the Shoguns that dwell at FOSTEX - these cans are remarkable in so many ways - detail, soundstage, imaging and of course - BASS.

The TH900 have always been regarded for their bass extension, but they've NEVER been opened up to really showcase just how far they can go - until now!

The a Fury of the FOSTEX is far from over though......up next is the TH900's younger sibling - the dark destroyer of worlds, the magnesium earcup menace that is the FOSTEX TH600!!!!!

J.V.C HA-SZ2000​

​

Test Conditions

Recommend:
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Notes: I fought the urge to push these and just left them at the setting that they were on in the earlier battles (shown in vid at end). This is listening level with no hint of distortion. I watched these play at the exact same time on 24" and 27" monitors. The SZ looked to be better at sub-bass while the TH outgunned it with 80-120Hz hits. There were some upper bass hits that seemed to not even be coming out of the SZ. Never noted that ever until the TH. This is by far the best battle since the start of the thread and I NEVER would have imagined it from an Audiophile can. The SZ go bezerk with the test tone tracks  and show the 55mm ported system but on other points it's not as strong.
 ​

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,523 of 12,991
Spent about 30 minutes on this. Lol.
8WZFnlG.jpg

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,524 of 12,991
I count 6 cans in common, - you have good taste in gear - lol
biggrin.gif

TH900
TH600
NAD HP50
Sig Pro
Sig DJ
V-Moda M-100

And yeah just one amp in common:

HP-A8

Regards the TH600 - I think that the TH900 is so iconic with its Bordeaux coloured lacquered wood earcups that it takes all the limelight and maybe the TH600 is lost in the TH900's shadow?

Pity though as the TH600 is superb and as can be seen - has amazing bass response with a lot of headroom to EQ within, in fact both of them are proven bass cannon status cans IMO, and just very high quality completely
smily_headphones1.gif

So... 6 cans in common with a declared basshead... time to start worrying I guess :wink:

But you guys seem to have good fun over here... <rant>something that is often lost in other places around head-fi between discussions about how a cable upgrade made a can a whole lot better.</rant>

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,525 of 12,991

So... 6 cans in common with a declared basshead... time to start worrying I guess :wink:

But you guys seem to have good fun over here... <rant>something that is often lost in other places around head-fi between discussions about how a cable upgrade made a can a whole lot better.</rant>

The only reason I buy aftermarket cables is for sturdiness/durability. They really don't do **** regarding sound quality, in fact Tomshardware still has a million dollar reward or something like that if you can actually prove that they do.

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,527 of 12,991
I think this is the best thread on Head-Fi. It's truly funny. I want reference headphones with great bass. I have HD650s which have good mid-bass but I want strong sub-bass too. I think I'll buy Fostex TH600 but I also wonder about Ultrasone signature series.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,528 of 12,991

[COLOR=FF0000]CLASH OF TITANS[/COLOR]

FOSTEX TH900

Test Conditions

Recommend:

Notes: First time I did the paper/bass test with the TH900, I didn't realise I had the Fiio E12 bass boost turned off - this new test has it switched ON.

Take special note that throughout the test their is NO distortion - especially noticeable on the vocals on the Wiz Khalifa track "On my level".

Also understand that these cans are fuggin expensive, and with that in mind also understand that I haven't pushed them to their limits of driver distortion, as I don't want to fugg these beauties - I estimate I pushed them to around 80% before they would show the first signs of distortion!

These cans push some of the CLEANEST sub bass I've seen, and they do it through 50mm drivers that are a pure work of art, crafted by the Shoguns that dwell at FOSTEX - these cans are remarkable in so many ways - detail, soundstage, imaging and of course - BASS.

The TH900 have always been regarded for their bass extension, but they've NEVER been opened up to really showcase just how far they can go - until now!

The a Fury of the FOSTEX is far from over though......up next is the TH900's younger sibling - the dark destroyer of worlds, the magnesium earcup menace that is the FOSTEX TH600!!!!!

[rule]

J.V.C HA-SZ2000​

Test Conditions

Recommend:

Notes: I fought the urge to push these and just left them at the setting that they were on in the earlier battles (shown in vid at end). This is listening level with no hint of distortion. I watched these play at the exact same time on 24" and 27" monitors. The SZ looked to be better at sub-bass while the TH outgunned it with 80-120Hz hits. There were some upper bass hits that seemed to not even be coming out of the SZ. Never noted that ever until the TH. This is by far the best battle since the start of the thread and I NEVER would have imagined it from an Audiophile can. The SZ go bezerk with the test tone tracks and show the 55mm ported system but on other points it's not as strong.
[rule]

Awesome display of the SZ2000 hitting very hard :cool:

And its taken another Japanese brands flagship model to give the mighty SZ2000 a genuine run for its money - the might of two heavyweight brands going head to head, JVC v FOSTEX - what a spectacle for sure :)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/SXWVpcypf0w[/VIDEO]​

Spent about 30 minutes on this. Lol.

8WZFnlG.jpg

DisCHORDDubstep Vs. Monty Python Vs FOSTEX TH900 Vs JVC SZ2000 = So Much Win :D :cool:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/zKhEw7nD9C4[/VIDEO]​

I think this is the best thread on Head-Fi. It's truly funny. I want reference headphones with great bass. I have HD650s which have good mid-bass but I want strong sub-bass too. I think I'll buy Fostex TH600 but I also wonder about Ultrasone signature series.

Thank you :)

And welcome to the Extreme Bass Club.

---------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_4689.png

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,529 of 12,991
Quote:
Awesome display of the SZ2000 hitting very hard
cool.gif

And its taken another Japanese brands flagship model to give the mighty SZ2000 a genuine run for its money - the might of two heavyweight brands going head to head, JVC v FOSTEX - what a spectacle for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

DisCHORDDubstep Vs. Monty Python Vs FOSTEX TH900 Vs JVC SZ2000 = So Much Win
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

And welcome to the Extreme Bass Club.
IMG_4689.png

The only person qualified to give a definitive statement is you.
Assuming the Cowon was at 34 volume for you then we used identical hardware on identical settings playing an identical track. When played side by side on large monitors the sz2000 are akin to desktop speakers. That's good and bad. They drive easy and go loud but never shrill on the highs. I thought your test track sounded excellent when I listened over ears. I came away more impressed with the sz than I thought going in v.s. the TH.

Until @cb3723  showed it it was just a rumor...it's bass prowess. And not a single owner cared to prove or show it. Like the Sig DJ. You think nobody is gonna buy the TH900 after seeing that it's a Hi-Fi low end monster? I can show my PM section STUFFED with sz inquiries and that's just the folks who were members or joined just to PM me. People grossly underestimate the desire for robust even head punching bass when called upon.  The Beats hate has had several side effects and admitting you're a basshead ....even just sometimes....is one of them.

I think the sz2000 are better on sub-bass. I know the TH are better at upper bass and bass to mid trans. There is no debate on which is overall superior. I still hold the SZ to be the chronic bassheads best final option. And when you wanna join the secret handshake society but take the epic bass with you ...you clearly have one best option....the TH.

21 million 500,000 returns and we (our Wiki) is not doing to bad 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back