The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 1, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,502 of 12,991
They sound like they'd be right up my alley. But hooooly crap they're expensive.

Yeah - that's the biggest downside to them unfortunately :frowning2:

But - worth it IMO - check the for sale / trade forums for a good priced second user pair, as they come up from time to time, but do get snapped up quickly - happy hunting & check the Signature DJ thread for more info and advice :)

Here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,503 of 12,991
Originally Posted by typhoon838 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but you guys would know the answer better than anyone.

So. Here's my issue.

I've got the ATH-PRO700 MKII. I replaced the stock pads with ATH M50 pads, like many people have, to improve the comfort, which it did.

Here's what I like about it.

Bass quantity and texture. Self explanatory. I'm kind of a basshead.

Highs aren't piercing at all at high volumes like they are with other headphones I've tried.

Detachable cable. This is a must.

They isolate moderately well. I need closed headphones.

Durability. They look and feel like they could withstand anything.

Portability. Size, rotation, and folding are nice.

However, I'm still wanting for more. Here are my desires, in decreasing order of importance.

The bass feels muddy, and I wish the instrument separation was better. I just wish the bass was sharper, more impactful, more clearly defined, with the same amount of bass. This might be impossible to replicate, but I had an experience where I was at a small concert, and in between bands they played radio rock music from some speakers that were installed at the venue. And oh my god did it sound amazing. You could tell each individual hit from the kick drum. It was sharp, not like the wall of muddy bass I too often hear. There was so much bass but it felt almost totally separate from the other frequencies, which were all there and sounded very good too. Now, I realize that this was probably accomplished through the use of dedicated subwoofers, but if a similar effect can be accomplished in closed headphones that would be awesome.

Similar to that is my desire for a larger soundstage. I realize this is a closed headphone, but other closed headphones are much better in this regard. Everything feels very cramped. I'm not looking for anything huge, just better than this.

More comfort would be nice. They clamp kind of tightly. But I can live with it.

Less leakage would be nice too, but again, I can live with the leakage of these cans.

Highs that are a little more lively would improve the sound, but I do realize that's hard to get without it being piercing and sibilant. I'd rather not have bright sounding headphones, unless it's not piercing and has a ton of tight, punchy bass.

I've had:

ATH-M50x - I really liked them when I had them but wanted much more bass and less piercing highs. When I compared side by side with the Pro700, I couldn't even stand the M50. This was what I felt like high end headphones should sound like though. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's separation or soundstage, but what I mean is that I can hear everything distinctly, there's a very nice reverb on drums, and even though the bass is a little light on more crowded songs, it's prominent than it otherwise would be because it's so distinct from the mids. But neither these nor the Pro700s that I'm currently comparing to sounded as good with crowded rock songs that had a lot going on at once as I'd have liked them to.

NAD VISO HP50 - Very comfortable, very clean sound, but a little too balanced. Too laid back and relaxed of a sound. Also felt very bright compared to the Pro700, but most cans would. Also pricey.

Ultrasone Pro 750 - I liked the sound signature but just wasn't wowed in general. I didn't try them out for long though, so I would be willing to give them another shot. I remember thinking they were harsh in the high end though. Also rather expensive.

Sony MDR-7520 - Same as HP50

Ultrasone HFI-580 - pretty much fell short to the ATH-M50 in all regards, and didn't have a removable cable.

V-Moda Crossfade LP / M100. I pretty much hated these. Muddy muddy muddy. Uncomfortable until I used the XL pads too. Good bass impact but didn't feel separate from the rest of the frequencies. Too expensive for the quality of sound they delivered.

I've never used an amp. I'm definitely willing to try a portable one, up to as expensive as a Fiio e12.

If what I'm searching for doesn't exist I'm willing to buy two headphones - one closed for on the go use, and one open to accomplish what I'm looking for.

I'd rather not play with EQ unless it's a setting on the amp.

Let me know what you guys think. 

I'm the thread starter

Ya know what I think?

I think you need to read the Head-Fi posting rules with the special font and color and finger pointing at it.

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,504 of 12,991

FOSTEX TH900
Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing
Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing
Test tracks: cb3723 Bassageddon Brutal Mix

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on, gain: 16dB
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Notes: First time I did the paper/bass test with the TH900, I didn't realise I had the Fiio E12 bass boost turned off - this new test has it switched ON.

Take special note that throughout the test their is NO distortion - especially noticeable on the vocals on the Wiz Khalifa track "On my level".

Also understand that these cans are fuggin expensive, and with that in mind also understand that I haven't pushed them to their limits of driver distortion, as I don't want to fugg these beauties - I estimate I pushed them to around 80% before they would show the first signs of distortion!

These cans push some of the CLEANEST sub bass I've seen, and they do it through 50mm drivers that are a pure work of art, crafted by the Shoguns that dwell at FOSTEX - these cans are remarkable in so many ways - detail, soundstage, imaging and of course - BASS.

The TH900 have always been regarded for their bass extension, but they've NEVER been opened up to really showcase just how far they can go - until now!

The a Fury of the FOSTEX is far from over though......up next is the TH900's younger sibling - the dark destroyer of worlds, the magnesium earcup menace that is the FOSTEX TH600!!!!!

Back to the Bass

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,507 of 12,991

That's how it goes​

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Some cans about to join the group.

The A.A. could be re-considered but 2 or 3 current cans will be gone and replaced on the Top 10 list for August.
At the current level the group is almost filled with cannons as defined by the term in the Wiki.

Group 1  "Cannons"

Cannons are headphones that produce an excessive to enormous amount of impact that can be felt from the cups to the ears  and beyond. They vibrate the skull, they vibrate/tickle the cheeks, upper neck and cause physical sensations. This physical sensation can and does interfere with the accurate delivery of what are widely referred to as good response curves. The "mids" as they are the adjoining range are most affected by the over boosted low frequency. The "V" shaved EQ slope is applied to create an illusion of balance. The mids are almost unrecoverable if the bass is cannon like. Thus it fits in this group. 

The price and quality is becoming the variable with the single unifying point being the bass prowess.
The whole point of the thread...the gathering.

So where we at?

Well, lets tally it up as of August 1, 2014

Head-Fi  "The Best Bass Headphones are..."(Extreme Bass Club)   approx. 50,000 views

Youtube Bass test channel approx. 10,000 views

Head-Fi "The Best Bass cans" (A Head -Fi Wiki) approx. 10,000 views

As the word spreads that there is a collection of compared and listed bass cans that were evaluated on identical hardware and settings and a visual thrown on top just for fun to show the low frequency...the hits will grow like a snowball rolling down a long hill....covered in snow.

From the bass motherland, the place of the drum...
 ​
 ​
..Once again
Bass in your face..
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Public Enemy​
(Fear of a Black Planet)
Can't truss it
 ​

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,508 of 12,991

FOSTEX TH900

Test Conditions

Recommend:

Notes: First time I did the paper/bass test with the TH900, I didn't realise I had the Fiio E12 bass boost turned off - this new test has it switched ON.

Take special note that throughout the test their is NO distortion - especially noticeable on the vocals on the Wiz Khalifa track "On my level".

Also understand that these cans are fuggin expensive, and with that in mind also understand that I haven't pushed them to their limits of driver distortion, as I don't want to fugg these beauties - I estimate I pushed them to around 80% before they would show the first signs of distortion!

These cans push some of the CLEANEST sub bass I've seen, and they do it through 50mm drivers that are a pure work of art, crafted by the Shoguns that dwell at FOSTEX - these cans are remarkable in so many ways - detail, soundstage, imaging and of course - BASS.

The TH900 have always been regarded for their bass extension, but they've NEVER been opened up to really showcase just how far they can go - until now!

The a Fury of the FOSTEX is far from over though......up next is the TH900's younger sibling - the dark destroyer of worlds, the magnesium earcup menace that is the FOSTEX TH600!!!!!

I think thats about the sickest entry so far -- sticking the TH900 together with some seriously plastic cans... nevertheless it has just stunning technical capabilities and its of course simply fun to see it that way :wink:

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,509 of 12,991

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/00SVsAkw-Wo[/VIDEO]

The TH600 steps into the fight arena with a lot at stake. Big brother TH900 has already set an exemplary high standard, and now the might and honour of the Fostex Fury is resting on the TH600's shoulders - it's fight time and the crowd are baying for blood. Anything else but brilliance will upset the crowd into a riot. Can the Dark Destroyer live up to its name, or will the occasion cause him to fold?

FOSTEX TH600
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/ABYgPOmpm1o[/VIDEO]

Test Conditions

Recommend:

Notes: First time I did the paper/bass test with the TH600, I didn't realise I had the Fiio E12 bass boost turned off, just as I did with the TH900 - this new test has it switched ON.

Compare to the TH900 - is there any distortion - if there is it will show up the most on the vocals on the Wiz Khalifa track "On my level", but I've got to say the TH600 sounded A OK to me for sure, just maybe not as smooth as the TH900 big bro?

I estimate I pushed these cans also to around 80% before they would show the first signs of distortion - remember, we aren't looking to break drivers here, just show their sub bass ability of pushing serious air - safely - because we care (isn't that beautiful - lol :D )

The TH600 is as darker horse as it is in colour and I believe more headphone value for its cost than it's big bro the TH900. The 600 has as shown amazing bass that dig deep into the sub domain and also delivers a clean bass. The 600 is basically a slightly rougher version of the 900 minus the fancy lacquered wood earcups. The highs on the 600 can on certain tracks be a little harsh where the 900 keeps it silky smooth, the bass articulation is good but slightly slower than the 900, but in general it's just not that far away from the 900, well not double the price away which is how much more the 900 is compared to the 600 - think diminishing returns to get that extra 10-20% more refinement in general SQ in the difference between the 600 and the 900 in their individual cost.

Is the TH600 a bass cannon? Absolutely - it's fugging insane and heaps of fun :D

IMG%5D

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,510 of 12,991
Seems we have 4 cans plus 1 amp in common :wink:

To me the TH600 is a bit more linear with a slightly rougher treble -- reflecting your impressions. It does have a tad less bass as well, but when considering the price difference is the better offering I'd say. Plus the all-black look... don't know why so many disregard the TH600 as just the little brother.

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,511 of 12,991
Seems we have 4 cans plus 1 amp in common :wink:

To me the TH600 is a bit more linear with a slightly rougher treble -- reflecting your impressions. It does have a tad less bass as well, but when considering the price difference is the better offering I'd say. Plus the all-black look... don't know why so many disregard the TH600 as just the little brother.

I count 6 cans in common, - you have good taste in gear - lol :D

TH900
TH600
NAD HP50
Sig Pro
Sig DJ
V-Moda M-100

And yeah just one amp in common:

HP-A8

Regards the TH600 - I think that the TH900 is so iconic with its Bordeaux coloured lacquered wood earcups that it takes all the limelight and maybe the TH600 is lost in the TH900's shadow?

Pity though as the TH600 is superb and as can be seen - has amazing bass response with a lot of headroom to EQ within, in fact both of them are proven bass cannon status cans IMO, and just very high quality completely :)

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,512 of 12,991

That's how it goes​

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Some cans about to join the group.

The A.A. could be re-considered but 2 or 3 current cans will be gone and replaced on the Top 10 list for August.
At the current level the group is almost filled with cannons as defined by the term in the Wiki.

The price and quality is becoming the variable with the single unifying point being the bass prowess.
The whole point of the thread...the gathering.

So where we at?

Well, lets tally it up as of August 1, 2014

Head-Fi  "The Best Bass Headphones are..."(Extreme Bass Club)   approx. 50,000 views

Youtube Bass test channel approx. 10,000 views

Head-Fi "The Best Bass cans" (A Head -Fi Wiki) approx. 10,000 views

As the word spreads that there is a collection of compared and listed bass cans that were evaluated on identical hardware and settings and a visual thrown on top just for fun to show the low frequency...the hits will grow like a snowball rolling down a long hill....covered in snow.

From the bass motherland, the place of the drum...
 ​
 ​
..Once again
Bass in your face..
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Public Enemy​
(Fear of a Black Planet)
Can't truss it
 ​

NOOOOO!!!  The Sig Dj are basshead approved...  Now i have to consider those too...  Thanks for nothing HBB

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #1,513 of 12,991

The TH600 steps into the fight arena with a lot at stake. Big brother TH900 has already set an exemplary high standard, and now the might and honour of the Fostex Fury is resting on the TH600's shoulders - it's fight time and the crowd are baying for blood. Anything else but brilliance will upset the crowd into a riot. Can the Dark Destroyer live up to its name, or will the occasion cause him to fold?

FOSTEX TH600

Test Conditions

Recommend:

Notes: First time I did the paper/bass test with the TH600, I didn't realise I had the Fiio E12 bass boost turned off, just as I did with the TH900 - this new test has it switched ON.

Compare to the TH900 - is there any distortion - if there is it will show up the most on the vocals on the Wiz Khalifa track "On my level", but I've got to say the TH600 sounded A OK to me for sure, just maybe not as smooth as the TH900 big bro?

I estimate I pushed these cans also to around 80% before they would show the first signs of distortion - remember, we aren't looking to break drivers here, just show their sub bass ability of pushing serious air - safely - because we care (isn't that beautiful - lol
biggrin.gif
)

The TH600 is as darker horse as it is in colour and I believe more headphone value for its cost than it's big bro the TH900. The 600 has as shown amazing bass that dig deep into the sub domain and also delivers a clean bass. The 600 is basically a slightly rougher version of the 900 minus the fancy lacquered wood earcups. The highs on the 600 can on certain tracks be a little harsh where the 900 keeps it silky smooth, the bass articulation is good but slightly slower than the 900, but in general it's just not that far away from the 900, well not double the price away which is how much more the 900 is compared to the 600 - think diminishing returns to get that extra 10-20% more refinement in general SQ in the difference between the 600 and the 900 in their individual cost.

Is the TH600 a bass cannon? Absolutely - it's fugging insane and heaps of fun
biggrin.gif

IMG%5D

"thank you sir, may i have another"   

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,514 of 12,991
[COLOR=FF0000]JVC HP-DX1000[/COLOR]​
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/7-WEVLNy6Zc[/VIDEO]

Test Conditions