Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Mar 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,176 of 3,060

Stoner Acoustics UD110v2 DAC connected to Sony X Ray via Fiio E6 plays 24bit/96 using USB Audio player,
you can pick up the Ray for £50 which comes with the excellent MH1 earphones.Nice sounding HiFi on the cheap
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,177 of 3,060
Nice rig cattlethief, not disimilar to my own Moto G->UD110->Fiio E5->Blox M2C rig (a little over the €/$200 all in so no pics here). 

I am curious to hear your experiences with the UD110 with E6... I have 2 questions.

1. Is that a USB hub I see bridging the phone and the UD110 ? Why's that ?

2. Do you experience any audible distortion when playing apps (Spotify etc.) through the UD110 into the Fiio E6 ?

In my experience, the line out signal being output by the UD110 is too hot for the input on the E5. However, if I reboot the Moto G with the UD110 attached, I can use the native volume controls within Android OS to attenuate all audio output to the amp, producing 2 stage volume control.

Basically I've been waiting to hear of other peoples experiences with amps teamed with the UD110 before I replace the E5, so I would appreciate your insights. Feel free to contact me by PM if you'd prefer (hate to go hijacking the thread on an unrelated topic), or you could post your experiences on the thread below where I have posted my experiences in more detail (nice to keep all of this Android+DAC related stuff within that thread for reference) :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Thanks for listening,
swab

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,179 of 3,060
  Nice rig cattlethief, not disimilar to my own Moto G->UD110->Fiio E5->Blox M2C rig (a little over the €/$200 all in so no pics here). 

I am curious to hear your experiences with the UD110 with E6... I have 2 questions.

1. Is that a USB hub I see bridging the phone and the UD110 ? Why's that ?

2. Do you experience any audible distortion when playing apps (Spotify etc.) through the UD110 into the Fiio E6 ?

In my experience, the line out signal being output by the UD110 is too hot for the input on the E5. However, if I reboot the Moto G with the UD110 attached, I can use the native volume controls within Android OS to attenuate all audio output to the amp, producing 2 stage volume control.

Basically I've been waiting to hear of other peoples experiences with amps teamed with the UD110 before I replace the E5, so I would appreciate your insights. Feel free to contact me by PM if you'd prefer (hate to go hijacking the thread on an unrelated topic), or you could post your experiences on the thread below where I have posted my experiences in more detail (nice to keep all of this Android+DAC related stuff within that thread for reference) :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Thanks for listening,
swab

The hub is required to buffer some of the power from the dac as its too much for the phone to handle,best £1 i ever spent in the poundshop!I cant play any apps as it only outputs to the dac using the usb audio player app.As soon as i open up spotify it switches to the headphone out!

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,180 of 3,060
I swipe between the ATH IM50s and the Astrotec AX35s with my trustee ol' iPhone 4. The AX35s are better for Jazz, some pop, some Alternative, and everything that's associated with a lot of instruments being played and acoustic-natured songs.
The ATH-IM50s are good for bassy and studio-equipment production such as rap, most R&B, some pop, and some alternative. The IM50s have more versatility though because everything sounds good through it while, the AX-35s come out a bit thin on Rap, Dubstep, R&B, and some alternative. They are both clear, it's just one is warm, mid-forward, and bassy while the other is clean and transparent with better imaging:

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,181 of 3,060
Well, this is my "budget" rig. It´s still expensive for me because this is my first "hifi" experience, but I´m really happy with it. It´s a Cowon D3 and Brainwavz M3, a bit outdated but they are good. Maybe I could buy a bigger SD card (Currently using a 4 gb one :/ ) but it´s not a big problem because I don´t like to carry thousands of albums. I didn´t like the Comply tips, so I stripped off the plastic core and put the foam inside the stock silicone tips (That are really good IMO) and it really improved the isolation, I can barely hear anything in the subway.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,182 of 3,060
After a few months of neglect, I finally went back to try one of my favorite budget rig and it still sound great!

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #1,185 of 3,060
The Ostry sounds rather good from memory. Have you tried the AX35? 

Not yet. Just decided to grab something that was an improvement over the RE0 and had a nice look to it. Not so much interested in quality IEMs; just fun ones will do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back