[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Apr 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #391 of 447
Quote:
I'll try that, thanks.

Edit: Just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BBVN2/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item

From what I've read the Titanium HD is a pretty good source. I even replaced the Op-Amps to try and get out of it as much as I can. My problem is not that I need "better increase in sound", it's just getting some static from time to time from the amp as I posted above.

I'm saying if you wanted better SQ, which is what you would want if you upgrade your amp. You would be better served buying a better DAC than buying a Schiit Magni. Your issue with the static is not amp specific related. More than likely your contacts are dirty, or the amp is damaged.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #392 of 447
Quote:

I'm saying if you wanted better SQ, which is what you would want if you upgrade your amp. You would be better served buying a better DAC than buying a Schiit Magni. Your issue with the static is not amp specific related. More than likely your contacts are dirty, or the amp is damaged.

Well I hope it's dirty. If not, I guess that would be one reason to want to upgrade (or maybe in this case just change) my amp.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #393 of 447
Reporting back. DeoxIT did the trick. I mean I haven't tested it long term, I just applied it but now I can twist the plug of the cable where it connects to the amp and I only get very minor crackles, so I assume on it's own I shouldn't be getting any.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #394 of 447
Reporting back. DeoxIT did the trick. I mean I haven't tested it long term, I just applied it but now I can twist the plug of the cable where it connects to the amp and I only get very minor crackles, so I assume on it's own I shouldn't be getting any.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! :beerchug:

You are welcome!

May 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #396 of 447
Quote:
Anybody have any feedback regarding the fostex products? Like the HP-A8c

I own the HP-A8, and I am very pleased with it.  It can drive any headphones and would have no issues with Fostex's own headphones.  It has a maximum of 20db gain, and I currently have it set to 20db driving my Beyer Dynamic DT990s 600ohm.  I never have to increase the main volume louder than -25db though, so I do not even need so much gain.  Usually, -40 to -35db is a comfortable volume for most of my music.

With the HP-A8 DAC and headphone amp, I get lots of detail in my music along with very nice bass paired with the DT990s.  What I really like about the HP-A8 is its configuration options.  You're able to configure the digital filter used by the DAC to either traditional roll-off or AKM's own minimum delay that prevents the pre-echo effect.  Also, its upsampling feature adds a dimensional effect to the soundstage, I have noticed.  It is terrific for higher quality fairly recent recordings.  For older poor recordings, sometimes it provides bad effects.  For example, I have very old Bud Powell music that is in poor condition.  There are pops from the old analog tapes.  With the upsampling feature turned on for these, the pops end up projected within the soundstage that sounds a bit bizarre.

I imported my HP-A8 from Japan for a decent price, so I have to use a step down transformer with it.

May 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #397 of 447
Quote:
Does the amp recommendations work with the new Denon line; or is exclusive for the old denons and fostex headphones? I was thinking on buying the fiio E10 or E11 for my D600.

In my experience, yes.  I have D5000 and D600 and both sound very well with the recommendations from this post.  I use a Schiit Asgard amp for both of these phones.  I have only tried the E11 with the D5000, but I think it would do fine with a D600 as a portable solution.  I currently use an ALO Rx MKII with the D600 with pretty damn good results for a portable, but it costs a bit more.  Keep in mind that the sound is much better powered by a desktop amp versus a portable.

May 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #398 of 447
Quote:
In my experience, yes.  I have D5000 and D600 and both sound very well with the recommendations from this post.  I use a Schiit Asgard amp for both of these phones.  I have only tried the E11 with the D5000, but I think it would do fine with a D600 as a portable solution.  I currently use an ALO Rx MKII with the D600 with pretty damn good results for a portable, but it costs a bit more.  Keep in mind that the sound is much better powered by a desktop amp versus a portable.

Thanks, that was really helpful, I actually bought the fiio E10 and it sounds good, a bit better than straight from the iPod and pc/mac. I'm not sure if I'm keeping it though; I need more time for testing it.

May 18, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #399 of 447
I note that Cayin HA1a sounds very attractive with D7000.
As DAC I used the Benchmark DAC1.
As a headphone amplifier BenchmarkDAC1 more informative than Cayin, but it gives a distorted (not correct) of the sound image.
Subjectively, in Cayin poorer than in the BenchmarkDAC1 dynamic range and low noise is present. 
However, the volume (presence) and presentation all sound sources in the recording much more correct in Cayin. To my ears.

May 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #400 of 447

There's something else plugged in right now, but the D7000 loves this setup!

May 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #401 of 447

ecp's L-2 drives the TH900s with plenty of detail, resolution, grip in the lower end and clarity that it's likely the last amp I use with the Fostex's. They're also said to mate with the D7000s extremely well. My experience is limited to the TH900s and I've been enjoying this pairing for the last couple of weeks now. They do EVERYTHING fairly well, with no one area emphasized over the other.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #404 of 447
I recently picked up a Burson HA-160D for $650 in the used forums.  It is really an amazing unit for my LA2000 and was a pretty popular pairing with the D7k.  In fact, I just took a look at the used forums and you can pick up an HA-160DS (it has the same DAC/amp as the HA-160D, but doesn't have a stepped pot or pre-amp functionality) for $640 shipped right now.  I wish I could give you more input on the options you listed, but I haven't heard any of them.  From what people say, you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back