[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #377 of 447
Just stating my actual use of the MF X-CAN V3 with X-PSU V3 and the TH900s are pretty darn good. Good synergy, good weight (not with absolute authority but enough to be substantial), good bloom in the midrange (maybe a touch over) and decent highs but not HD800-piercingly detailed highs.

I haven't gotten my PWDII DAC back from PS Audio yet (in for repairs) but will hook this up and see how large a difference the DAC makes over what I'm using now: headphone jack from PC to RCA jacks on the X-CAN V3. 
size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #378 of 447
Quote:
Just stating my actual use of the MF X-CAN V3 with X-PSU V3 and the TH900s are pretty darn good. Good synergy, good weight (not with absolute authority but enough to be substantial), good bloom in the midrange (maybe a touch over) and decent highs but not HD800-piercingly detailed highs.

I haven't gotten my PWDII DAC back from PS Audio yet (in for repairs) but will hook this up and see how large a difference the DAC makes over what I'm using now: headphone jack from PC to RCA jacks on the X-CAN V3. 
size]

Looks really nice. Does anyone know if the Decware Taboo Mk III goes well with the TH-900? One person said it does, but don't have anyone else confirming the pairing yet.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #379 of 447
Hello. Plz help me to decide and pick a better value .Yulong D100MK2  or  Audio-gd NFB-5.32. or i can stay with ElitePro and get Schiit Asgard as an amp. My setup is Denon 7000  and i would pick a D100 but harsh highs worry me a bit. What do you think ?

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #380 of 447
Are you talking about the Asgard 1 or 2?  I have the 1 and had the 2 for a brief time. Both are very good.  The A2 is under backorder, but there are several used A1s for sale.  Whenever I bring home more exquisite amps to dethrone the Asgard as my solid state amp (I have some tube amps, too), it becomes apparent just how good the Asgard really is.  Perceptive numbers mean nothing, but I'll make the statement anyway.  The Asgard is about 90% the amp my $1500 tube amp is.  For real.  The Asgard platform is smooth with no harsh highs.

Quote:
Hello. Plz help me to decide and pick a better value .Yulong D100MK2  or  Audio-gd NFB-5.32. or i can stay with ElitePro and get Schiit Asgard as an amp. My setup is Denon 7000  and i would pick a D100 but harsh highs worry me a bit. What do you think ?

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #381 of 447
I'm running my D5000 with the Audio GD SA-31, and it works great. The amp was built with planars in mind, and it can definitely make the Denons much too loud, but the sound signature is a great match, making the treble just a little bit more romantic (not really warm or soft, but sparkly in a sweet way.. well, it's good), and the bass more controlled.

The amp has a volume control in 80 steps, plus high/low gain, so 160 steps in all (although they overlap quite a bit). With the Denons I only use the first 10 steps or so, so I've ordered a new volume board with lower gain for $15. Apparently Kingwa himself uses D5000 with the SA-31, with stock gain, so... definitely a good match IMHO.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #382 of 447
Quote:

I've compared my NFB 5 with my friend's Yulong D100, and I think we both did not like the Denon out of the Yulong because it was too bright. Admittedly we were both suckers for warm sound signatures and tube amps, so take our opinions lightly.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #383 of 447
ok.  so i can go with NFB-5.32 /15.32  or my ElitePro with Schiit Asgard amp.  Asgard would cost me 250$  and  NFB-5.32 /15.32  near 400$

does the sound quality etc  between those  two setups cost 150$ difference ?

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #384 of 447
Some even claim that Denons don't benefit from amping because they're so easy to drive in the first place.  No problems running them directly from an idevice or Android device.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #385 of 447
Quote:
ok.  so i can go with NFB-5.32 /15.32  or my ElitePro with Schiit Asgard amp.  Asgard would cost me 250$  and  NFB-5.32 /15.32  near 400$

does the sound quality etc  between those  two setups cost 150$ difference ?

The NFB is a DAC with amp, keep that in mind. You also cannot use it as a stand alone amp, very unfortunately.

I thought the 15 would go for about $100 cheaper?

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #386 of 447
Quote:

The NFB is a DAC with amp, keep that in mind. You also cannot use it as a stand alone amp, very unfortunately.

I thought the 15 would go for about $100 cheaper?

I know about NFB , i have ElitePro as a dac and can buy just an amp for it ,also i can go and buy a combo like NFB if it will improve the sound quality adequately for its price .

yes 15 would go cheaper.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #387 of 447
I have a pair of Denon D2000. Do you guys think it's worth getting a Schiit Magni to replace my Firestone Cute Beyond (http://www.firestoneaudio.com.au/index.php/cute-series/beyond)?

I think the D2000 sound great with this amp and it should pair well with its high current output, however the Cute Beyond being my first amp I don't have much reference. The only reason I'm considering replacing it is because sometimes I get some static without having touched the amp or the cables. I have to move the cables (or rotate them) a bit where they connect to the amp for the static to go away. I replaced the cables but it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #388 of 447
I have a pair of Denon D2000. Do you guys think it's worth getting a Schiit Magni to replace my Firestone Cute Beyond (http://www.firestoneaudio.com.au/index.php/cute-series/beyond)?

I think the D2000 sound great with this amp and it should pair well with its high current output, however the Cute Beyond being my first amp I don't have much reference. The only reason I'm considering replacing it is because sometimes I get some static without having touched the amp or the cables. I have to move the cables (or rotate them) a bit where they connect to the amp for the static to go away. I replaced the cables but it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

You should try to clean the jack contact with DeoxIT.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #389 of 447
Quote:

Any thoughts?

I don't think you will get much out of replacing your amp for the Magni. You will get a much better increase in sound if you upgrade your source first.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #390 of 447
Quote:
You should try to clean the jack contact with DeoxIT.

I'll try that, thanks.

Edit: Just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BBVN2/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item

Quote:

I don't think you will get much out of replacing your amp for the Magni. You will get a much better increase in sound if you upgrade your source first.

From what I've read the Titanium HD is a pretty good source. I even replaced the Op-Amps to try and get out of it as much as I can. My problem is not that I need "better increase in sound", it's just getting some static from time to time from the amp as I posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back