[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Jan 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #332 of 447
Quote:

uuummm  You think so???  I always wondered that.  DACs can really shape you music.

In general I think so too. Of course, it depends on the specific amps and DACs somewhat as well. 

For example, to my ears the DAC in my realiser is just a tad worse than my m903. On the other hand, my m903 (the amp part) and Phoenix sound completely different. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #333 of 447
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the thread. Here's my contribution.

Grace Design m903 works very well with Denon AH-D7000. There's something special with this combination. I and several others have written about it in several threads about Grace Design m903. You will find similar positive feedback about m902 in the same threads. I am not (so) sure I agree regarding the part about light bass. We'll see after I at some point have compared it to Violectric HPA V200.

I agree that Nuforce Icon HDP doesn't at all work well with Denon AH-D7000.

I don't remember SPL Phonitor as anything special with Denon AH-D7000, but haven't tried for a long time.

I borrowed a Burson Audio HA-160 and HA-160D a couple of years ago. Unfortunately both units were generally noisy, and especially with Denon AH-D7000. Both have way to much gain for me. HA-160 was worst in both respects.

I may at some point try Denon AH-D7000 with my Violectric HPA V200, Lynx Hilo, and AudioQuest DragonFly. I am awaiting answers about some technical specifications for the Lynx Hilo including headphone output impedance.

I don't think I've tried Denon AH-D7000 with my McIntosh MA7000, but my calculations indicated that it should work.

Lehmannaudio Linear (formerly known as Lehmannaudio Black Cube Linear) has 5 ohm output impedance (measured as 5.9 ohm by Hi-Fi News & Record Review) and hence break the general output impedance recommendation rules as well as the rules of this thread.

Thank you for your impressions! Thats literally the first complaint I have heard about the Burson with the Denons, and many people have bought and used the combo. So that is something to bare in mind.
But I will make a point of this.

[...]

It doesn't seem like you have updated the first post of the thread yet.

Criticism of Burson Audio products isn't new.

You might like to read Loevhagen's blog entry "Fostex TH-900" which he described as a short review (Norwegian "kortomtale"). Use Google Translate if you don't read any of the Scandinavian languages. I don't know whether he has published the same in English somewhere. He is a Head-Fi.org user.

He used the following equipment for the review:
  1. Violectric DAC V800 (source)
  2. Project Sunrise Version II
  3. Burson Soloist
  4. Violectric HPA V200

He finds the Burson Soloist less absorbing/enthralling/gripping (Norwegian: "engasjerende") than the others. He also writes something like "close to lifeless/dead" about the sound with Burson Soloist.

He prefers his old favourite Violectric HPA V200, but (as usual) praise Project Sunrise Version II, especially when you consider the price.

Burson Audio HA-160 and HA-160D is well known for too much gain in general, not just for Denon AH-Dx000. This has been described both by 6moons' Srajan Ebaen and in the headphone subforum of the Norwegian forum Hifisentralen. Many users depend upon Rothwell Audio In-Line Attenuators or sources with variable analog output, but that doesn't help when you use the digital inputs of the HA-160D. Burson Soloist and Conductor are probably better with their three stage gain adjustment.

The output impedance of Burson Audio HA-160 and HA-160D is 5.6 ohms or 5 ohms depending on sources, and hence break the general output impedance recommendation rules as well as the rules of this thread. Burson Audio's web server isn't answering at the moment.

The output impedance of Burson Solist on the other hand is < 1 ohm.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #334 of 447
Quote:
Like I said, I think im gunna wait a little bit for when I have serious time to compare A/B to the setups. And cool, sounds good. The only thing that stopped me from buying the Yulong instead of the Asgard/ODAC, was that I found mostly overall that it could not power the HE-500s, which are my next purchase. 

I completely agree. 
Please do post back after you have spent a fair time with both. 

Quote:
 Any feedback on the Yulong U100 DAC/amp with Denons?

I will have a look, last time I asked an owner and they said its a bit too powerful, what ever the hell that means, so needless to say I wouldn't trust his feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDWMcInSpots /img/forum/go_quote.gif

snip

That is correct, I will be doing another in depth research session on the 2nd feb, I'm pressed for time currently, but thank you for your research, its very helpful indeed.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #335 of 447
Quote:
I completely agree. 
Please do post back after you have spent a fair time with both. 

I will have a look, last time I asked an owner and they said its a bit too powerful, what ever the hell that means, so needless to say I wouldn't trust his feedback.
That is correct, I will be doing another in depth research session on the 2nd feb, I'm pressed for time currently, but thank you for your research, its very helpful indeed.

Thanks, I'm finding a bit hard to get more reviews on the U100 at the moment, I'll keep looking.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #336 of 447
Quote:
Thanks, I'm finding a bit hard to get more reviews on the U100 at the moment, I'll keep looking.

Let me put it this way, on paper its fine, sonically - no clue. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #337 of 447
Quote:
[...]
You might like to read Loevhagen's blog entry "Fostex TH-900" which he described as a short review (Norwegian "kortomtale"). Use Google Translate if you don't read any of the Scandinavian languages. I don't know whether he has published the same in English somewhere. He is a Head-Fi.org user.

He used the following equipment for the review:
  1. Violectric DAC V800 (source)
  2. Project Sunrise Version II
  3. Burson Soloist
  4. Violectric HPA V200

He finds the Burson Soloist less absorbing/enthralling/gripping (Norwegian: "engasjerende") than the others. He also writes something like "close to lifeless/dead" about the sound with Burson Soloist.

He prefers his old favourite Violectric HPA V200, but (as usual) praise Project Sunrise Version II, especially when you consider the price.
[...]

See Loevhagen's post #3192#3196, and #3203 in the "Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread". I don't think he has answered Hubert481 or fulfilled his request yet.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #338 of 447
Quote:
I tried my gf's EF2 today and to my surprise they work very well together! Mids have gain more presence and sibilance was less than my NFB5.

Digging up a post from a few months ago, but I have to agree.  I've used both the E10 (which was good, and most people seem to agree with me) and the EF-2A, and the HIFIMAN is, at least in my opinion, the better of the two with my D2000s.  It's difficult to say why - I don't spend much time contemplating the nuances of sound - but to my ears, the EF-2A is a great pairing.  Some depends on tube choice.  The stock Chinese tubes aren't that great, and I can definitely hear a difference between them and the tubes I've replaced them with.  I've also tried out the Mullard CV4010s and Voshkod 6AK5 tubes and I like those much better.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #339 of 447
Quote:
Digging up a post from a few months ago, but I have to agree.  I've used both the E10 (which was good, and most people seem to agree with me) and the EF-2A, and the HIFIMAN is, at least in my opinion, the better of the two with my D2000s.  It's difficult to say why - I don't spend much time contemplating the nuances of sound - but to my ears, the EF-2A is a great pairing.  Some depends on tube choice.  The stock Chinese tubes aren't that great, and I can definitely hear a difference between them and the tubes I've replaced them with.  I've also tried out the Mullard CV4010s and Voshkod 6AK5 tubes and I like those much better.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

will get back to you

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #340 of 447
Quote:
 Any feedback on the Yulong U100 DAC/amp with Denons?

Few months ago, when I was looking for a DAC/amp to pair with my D2000s I decided to go with Yulong D100, honnestly the combo sounds very well. I still enjoy my D2000s a lot next to my HD600 & HE400.
To my ears, the D1000 is on the bright side, it is too bright for my ex-Grado & ex Sony SA5000 so I guess U100 shares some similarities with D100.

my2cents

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #342 of 447
Hi!

Great topic, very interesting. My wife made it clear that I am listening to too much music too loud. So I need to make more use of my denon D5000. I have a fairly nice hifi, mostly made of a French mid high-end equipment (Atoll Electronique: http://www.atoll-electronique.com/uk/), a Mash Pioneer CD player a bit vintage and a DAC for digitial music and a Project turntable (grado Gold head) and  proper phono preamp. All this is driven by a preamp from this French brand (PR300: http://www.atoll-electronique.com/uk/atoll-pre-amplifiers.php). I also have a separate power amp when using the speakers. No intend to brag, just trying to give some background which explains that if I am to use the headphones instead of the whole set couple with the speakers, I'd like it to sound as good as possible.I cannot spend however more than 1000 USD, and I want a amp only equipment, so my choice would be between. I do not think I can get to listen to any of these. 

My choice would be between:

the Rudistor NX-03, 
Violectric V200
Woo Audio WA6SE
Yulong A18.

Being said that I cannot get to listen to any of those, How can I choose? I currently have a preference for the Woo because it looks so great (I think I am one of those who also listen with the eyes). The very good thing about the Violectric is that I can purchse it within the EU, get it in a few days for not much money, and can even send it back within a month if I do not like it, while sending the woo back to the US from Spain for repair seems difficult. But the Woo looks so cool.

Can anyone give me some clues as to how to make my choice?

In terms of pure sound quality for instance? 

great thanks, and bravo for this very useful topic.

Vlad from Madrid

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #343 of 447
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but as an owner of the D2000 my advice would be to consider upgrading the headphones first - if it was me I'd consider the HE-500 or an LCD-2.  It's an upgrade that will bring you much greater listening joy than a new amp, in my humble opinion.  

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #344 of 447
Thanks Kendoji. I do not know how the D5000 compares to these two headphones, but I bought them not even a year ago so I will rather make the most of them and then upgrade. At this time I will have a look at the LCD-2! But later only. And I undersnat that to make the most of the D5000, it seems that I first need an amp!

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #345 of 447
Hi,

Thanks so much for this thread!  Really useful and definitely helping me make my next choice.

I bought an Icon Audio HP8 MKII ( http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/icon-audio-hp8-mkii/ )a year ago, intending to pick up a pair of HifiMan HE-500s.  I ended up deciding not to go for those and instead bought the Denon D7000.  I love the headphones but I very quickly realised that the amp pairing was poor.  The amp is good; I replaced the stock tubes with a CV4004 for the pre-amp stage and two Sylvania 6SN7s, which made a huge difference compared to the original Chinese valves.  The sound is excellent, but I find that the treble tends towards sibilance, something that is an issue with the Denons and my amp choice doesn't help with.  I also know that the amp is designed for high output, hence the choice to get it to power the HE-500s (which I will still likely get in the future).  At the moment, because I like the Denons so much, I'd prefer to spend the money on another amp that's a better match for them.

I've had a look at the recommendations and for these 'phones (and a lot of others) I come across the Violectric V200 as a strong contender.  I'm really leaning towards that as it seems to be such a great match to a lot of headphones and for anything that's power hungry I already have my tube amp.  I have a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II as the source, which I'm very happy with, so I'm looking just for an amp and not an amp/DAC combo.  I'm curious about the Burson Soloist/Soloist SL though, and the list doesn't contain any Graham Slee amps (namely the Solo/Solo Ultra Linear), which I've had recommended to me as a great solid state amp.  Does anyone have any experience with those, especially with the D7000?

So that's where I'm at!  This thread has been such a great help but I thought it'd be useful to chip in and ask some more specific questions.  If I'm going to spend the kind of money to get the V200 I could just as easily pick up the HE-500s though, so if anyone has compared those to the D7000 that would be really helpful as well.  The main thing that I notice that's lacking about the D7000 compared to my Senn HD580 is the vocals.  On the Senns the presence is amazing, right between your ears, and it sounds so close and personal, which is something I just don't get on the Denons, but absolutely everything else is so much better on the Denons that I can't go back to the HD580 at home.  That difference could be because of the amp though, as that's the only proper amp I've tested the D7000 on.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back