[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Jan 26, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #316 of 447
Quote:
So right now I'm looking for a desktop DAC + amp (or combo) for ~$300. (400 would be my maximum, but the improvement would have to be pretty noticeable)

The DAC has to have at least usb, and I need these to be a good match with a D5k.

Was hoping some of you with a lot more knowledge than me would have a recommendation.

Thanks a lot, much obliged !

EDIT: Just saw a Fostex HP-A3, any thoughts?

Did you even look on the first page? They are all good, depends what you want, and thats for you to decide and read up on.

Off the bat - Yulong D100mkII would be top recommendation.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #318 of 447
Quote:
Has anyone compared  the Yulong D100 to the Fostex HP-P1 with the D7000's?

I wouldn't expect the Fostex to win. You paying for the apple support and portability. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #321 of 447
Quote:
Did you even look on the first page? They are all good, depends what you want, and thats for you to decide and read up on.

Off the bat - Yulong D100mkII would be top recommendation.

Of course I looked on the first page... otherwise I wouldn't be asking for advice, as that would be stupid.

Currently I've compiled a "small" list of combo's at which I'm looking, decided portable high-endness is just a bridge to far for my wallet.

Audio-GD NFB-10SE
Audio-GD NFB-10.32
Fostex HP-A3
Matrix CUBE
Yulong D100 (mk) II
Yulong U100.

I was actually wondering about how the Audio-GD NFB-10SE / 10.32 stacks up against the Yulong D100 (mkII), read somewhere on head-fi that Yulong doesn't feature the best build quality, while the Audio-GD products are a little bit more expensive.

Also, I never ordered expensive products from overseas before, and I have no idea if I'd have to pay a lot of customs fees when I'd buy a D100 or say NFB-10.32 / HP-A3, which is why I'm considering offering on a second-hand NFB-10SE (asking price is 400 euro / ~535$).

Got any more knowledge to spread? :)

Much appreciated,

"Snuf"

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #322 of 447
Here's the thing, I doubt your gonna find someone with experience of all of them, and with the Denons. 
You gonna have to search for reviews of each pairing. And I'll give you some tips. 

Its not just about Bass/mids/treble, its also about subjective things like euphoria, engagement, intimacy, and getting into the zone. 
Try to spot noob reviewers, they generally don't compare the gear to anything else, or its their first product in this class, or what they are comparing it to is just hilariously unsuited or outclassed. 

Trust the opinions of the pro's project has a great review of the Yulong D100 on this site. Read it. And there were a few cases of build issues with the D100mki, but none with the D100mkII, They are actually built very well from what I read. 

The AudioGD stuff will be a bit harder, but no-one complains about the build, and the designer is very pedantic about his sound, he likes his gear sounding as neutral and transparent as possible, each unit has its differences. The master 8 being a top of the line amp, and having a reputation for being ruthless with sources and very detailed (hence pairing it with forgiving sources like the Yulong D18), thats a top of the line combo. 

Natural and transparent suits the Denons well, because they are heavily coloured already. But be careful, you dont wan't harsh, that still comes through. And the Denons are so lovely and smooth. Like butter. Or lube. Actually more like lube, because its got sweet flavour when you use it right. 

Also Denons are not portable, not even a little, so give up on that. They fall off, they leak, they have a long ass cable.

Mid-fi is the best IMHO - Bought the D7000 because it was a now or never. But an amp that suits it to the degree that I want = $$$$

Rather get the AudioGD 10.32 since thats the latest one with the ESS Sabre chip, if you do go that way. They have some good DAC/AMP combo's too.

As for customs, generally stuff from Asia gets downmarked lol, and it helps. And I order online from overseas atleast 4 things per month, just be smart and use paypal - and not gift.

Quote:
Of course I looked on the first page... otherwise I wouldn't be asking for advice, as that would be stupid.

Currently I've compiled a "small" list of combo's at which I'm looking, decided portable high-endness is just a bridge to far for my wallet.

Audio-GD NFB-10SE
Audio-GD NFB-10.32
Fostex HP-A3
Matrix CUBE
Yulong D100 (mk) II
Yulong U100.

I was actually wondering about how the Audio-GD NFB-10SE / 10.32 stacks up against the Yulong D100 (mkII), read somewhere on head-fi that Yulong doesn't feature the best build quality, while the Audio-GD products are a little bit more expensive.

Also, I never ordered expensive products from overseas before, and I have no idea if I'd have to pay a lot of customs fees when I'd buy a D100 or say NFB-10.32 / HP-A3, which is why I'm considering offering on a second-hand NFB-10SE (asking price is 400 euro / ~535$).

Got any more knowledge to spread? :)

Much appreciated,

"Snuf"

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #324 of 447
Thank you for the thread. Here's my contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grace m902 (and by extension the m901, m903) (The m903 has light/tight bass and is perfect for those who think the stock bass is too much in QUANTITY, a quality increase in expected anyway)

Grace Design m903 works very well with Denon AH-D7000. There's something special with this combination. I and several others have written about it in several threads about Grace Design m903. You will find similar positive feedback about m902 in the same threads. I am not (so) sure I agree regarding the part about light bass. We'll see after I at some point have compared it to Violectric HPA V200.

I agree that Nuforce Icon HDP doesn't at all work well with Denon AH-D7000.

I don't remember SPL Phonitor as anything special with Denon AH-D7000, but haven't tried for a long time.

I borrowed a Burson Audio HA-160 and HA-160D a couple of years ago. Unfortunately both units were generally noisy, and especially with Denon AH-D7000. Both have way to much gain for me. HA-160 was worst in both respects.

I may at some point try Denon AH-D7000 with my Violectric HPA V200, Lynx Hilo, and AudioQuest DragonFly. I am awaiting answers about some technical specifications for the Lynx Hilo including headphone output impedance.

I don't think I've tried Denon AH-D7000 with my McIntosh MA7000, but my calculations indicated that it should work.

Lehmannaudio Linear (formerly known as Lehmannaudio Black Cube Linear) has 5 ohm output impedance (measured as 5.9 ohm by Hi-Fi News & Record Review) and hence break the general output impedance recommendation rules as well as the rules of this thread.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #325 of 447
Quote:

Just figured id comment on the one part I do know here. Tried my Denon D5k with the Icon HDP and it was hilarious. It was very brief, but the main thing I could tell was the sound was immensly colored. If you wanted nothing but bass from your Denons, I could see why some would pick the Icon. There was so much bass I could feel the cans rumble on my head, and the guys that listened to it just plainly had to laugh at the sound. The mids were pretty well gone though, highs just werent right. The other aspects of the sound I cannot remember simply because of the overwhelming bass. 

Thats just my opinion on the combo. Currently Im using the ODAC and Schiit Asgard. To be honest im not noticing a huge or even moderate difference compared to my old setup which was the Fiio E7 and E9 Dock. I noticed you guys have the E7 and E9 marked as against. When I have time I will A/B the Asgard combo compared to the two later this week.  The main thing I can hear is a little more detail and maybe a little more zing. Thats all I can really say, I dont have a ton of experience with any other amp/dac combos. 

My girlfriend however is going to be buying the Denon 7000s, rather soon here. Shes looking at the Yulong D100 MkII, I was wondering, to the guys who have that combo, how much of an improvement would you say is a dedicated amp such as the Matrix M Stage or 02? 

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #326 of 447
Not much of a difference at all, probably wouldn't benefit at all IMO. The D100 alone is perfect, amp on low gain is dead silent, no coloration, just sounds really good with the denons.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #327 of 447
Thats kind of what I figured. Im curious what output max does the D100 have? I found a few links but have a bit of trouble understanding the rating. I know plenty for the Denons, but what about the HIfiman HE-500? Any idea? Sorry wrong thread, but cant hurt to ask. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #328 of 447
Any follow up on how the D7000 sounds with the Schiit Magni amp? I'm trying to decide what amp I should get for a bedside rig. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, any suggestions on a good synergizing budget amp?

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #329 of 447
Quote:

Grace Design m903 works very well with Denon AH-D7000. There's something special with this combination. I and several others have written about it in several threads about Grace Design m903. You will find similar positive feedback about m902 in the same threads. I am not (so) sure I agree regarding the part about light bass. We'll see after I at some point have compared it to Violectric HPA V200.

I don't remember SPL Phonitor as anything special with Denon AH-D7000, but haven't tried for a long time.

I borrowed a Burson Audio HA-160 and HA-160D a couple of years ago. Unfortunately both units were generally noisy, and especially with Denon AH-D7000. Both have way to much gain for me. HA-160 was worst in both respects.

I may at some point try Denon AH-D7000 with my Violectric HPA V200, Lynx Hilo, and AudioQuest DragonFly. I am awaiting answers about some technical specifications for the Lynx Hilo including headphone output impedance.

I don't think I've tried Denon AH-D7000 with my McIntosh MA7000, but my calculations indicated that it should work.

Lehmannaudio Linear (formerly known as Lehmannaudio Black Cube Linear) has 5 ohm output impedance (measured as 5.9 ohm by Hi-Fi News & Record Review) and hence break the general output impedance recommendation rules as well as the rules of this thread.

Thank you for your impressions! Thats literally the first complaint I have heard about the Burson with the Denons, and many people have bought and used the combo. So that is something to bare in mind.
But I will make a point of this.
Quote:
Thats kind of what I figured. Im curious what output max does the D100 have? I found a few links but have a bit of trouble understanding the rating. I know plenty for the Denons, but what about the HIfiman HE-500? Any idea? Sorry wrong thread, but cant hurt to ask. 

It doesn't have enough power for the HE-500, that much I am sure of.

Quote:
Any follow up on how the D7000 sounds with the Schiit Magni amp? I'm trying to decide what amp I should get for a bedside rig. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, any suggestions on a good synergizing budget amp?

I was reading that the Magni is bit bright and a bit harsh, so I wouldn't think it would have good synergy. 

Quote:
Just figured id comment on the one part I do know here. Tried my Denon D5k with the Icon HDP and it was hilarious. It was very brief, but the main thing I could tell was the sound was immensly colored. If you wanted nothing but bass from your Denons, I could see why some would pick the Icon. There was so much bass I could feel the cans rumble on my head, and the guys that listened to it just plainly had to laugh at the sound. The mids were pretty well gone though, highs just werent right. The other aspects of the sound I cannot remember simply because of the overwhelming bass. 

Thats just my opinion on the combo. Currently Im using the ODAC and Schiit Asgard. To be honest im not noticing a huge or even moderate difference compared to my old setup which was the Fiio E7 and E9 Dock. I noticed you guys have the E7 and E9 marked as against. When I have time I will A/B the Asgard combo compared to the two later this week.  The main thing I can hear is a little more detail and maybe a little more zing. Thats all I can really say, I dont have a ton of experience with any other amp/dac combos. 

My girlfriend however is going to be buying the Denon 7000s, rather soon here. Shes looking at the Yulong D100 MkII, I was wondering, to the guys who have that combo, how much of an improvement would you say is a dedicated amp such as the Matrix M Stage or 02? 

Well to be honest, I'm thinking of marking the E7 as ok, I have been using it for a while now, and I think its rather good for the money, I still think it needs better current delivery, I can hear my Denons struggling with the bass, but for the price its good.

I have the STX, which uses the same headphone amp as the E9, and I hate it, it just sucks, never ever liked it, It was bearable with an impedance decreasing adapter and THS4032 opamps, but after reading all the unimpressed reviews, I cannot give the E9 an OK. 

What does surprise me is the Asgard comment, I would really have thought the ODAC + Asgard would be a good performer, it certainly makes sense, what bothers me is the pickyness of the ODAC and that it comes across as a little harsh apparently, and from my reading a smoother source is a better idea. 

I would seriously think the ODAC + Asgard is a step up from E7 + E9. 

As for the Yulong, I think getting a matrix would be a side grade from its internal amp. For the retail price of the Yulong, its DAC alone is worth that, and the amp is worth half that. So I wouldn't bother getting an amp until you spend $500 about, and then TBH I wouldn't get the Yulong A100, it comes across as a bit clinical. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #330 of 447
Quote:
Well to be honest, I'm thinking of marking the E7 as ok, I have been using it for a while now, and I think its rather good for the money, I still think it needs better current delivery, I can hear my Denons struggling with the bass, but for the price its good.

What does surprise me is the Asgard comment, I would really have thought the ODAC + Asgard would be a good performer, it certainly makes sense, what bothers me is the pickyness of the ODAC and that it comes across as a little harsh apparently, and from my reading a smoother source is a better idea. 

I would seriously think the ODAC + Asgard is a step up from E7 + E9. 

As for the Yulong, I think getting a matrix would be a side grade from its internal amp. For the retail price of the Yulong, its DAC alone is worth that, and the amp is worth half that. So I wouldn't bother getting an amp until you spend $500 about, and then TBH I wouldn't get the Yulong A100, it comes across as a bit clinical. 

Like I said, I think im gunna wait a little bit for when I have serious time to compare A/B to the setups. And cool, sounds good. The only thing that stopped me from buying the Yulong instead of the Asgard/ODAC, was that I found mostly overall that it could not power the HE-500s, which are my next purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back