Earbuds Round-Up
May 25, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #75,588 of 75,871
Hidden budget gem discovery:

The Audio Technica, Model ATH J100 "juicy".

Currently on sale for 5 Euros shipped so worth a try to me.

Firstly and before the sound:

The fit is excellent. Other than the standard MX shap the double conical shape of the casing actually supports particular angles of positioning in my ear, hangs in more comfortably due the better clearance on the undersid of the "speaker" part with the driver in it...
This is unlikely just my personal ear experience but the shape is there for that cause.

Sound:

THe highs are sparkly but not too bright, the entension is good and spaciousness of the stage is surprisingly airy.

Mids are mildly compressed in stage, but shine in resolution of details and postioning.

Bass:
I am a recoving basshead and still like my beryllium sets for their deep bass extension and timbre/ sustain espite fast attack rate.
If an earbud doesn´t seal it is of no use to me.

That said, i am listening to Eric Prydz "Bergen" and the bass is blowing me away. I have no doubt it extends down to the advertised 18hz, and it does so almost linerly with only a very mild boost. No spills and no boomyness at all, but there is plenty of deep mouth watering rubmle if the source calls for it.

Else than this not much to say about them, the cable is not tangly which is good, the plug is L-shaped which goes well with mobile players.

Sweet little gems, even more so the merely sinle digit pricepoint.

Amazing spectrum and outstanding bass for an earbud, at that price this was quite unexpected - all i wanted was a small toss-able set to fit into the cable compartment of my overears carry case to use in very hot weather.
Those can satisfy "daily rotation" criteria for earbud users so check them out while they last, i feel the low price is probably blowing off old stock and new ones may or may not come after those batches are sold off.

(I got mine on ebay, Amazon has them, too. Colors are black and there is blue and ore as well.)
url at Amazon Japan.
https://www.amazon.co.jp//dp/B00FAIJV7A/?th=1

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #75,589 of 75,871
@jogawag Hello, have you tried BGVP DX6?
I have DX6 in my collection for about a year now, and honestly, is one of my lowest ranking buds.
Dark, midcentric, rolled incredibly early on both ends, muddy, bad fit (too large), and lacking techinicalities (closed in soundstage, poor resolution, avarage separation). Imaging is good, has more stage height than most buds.

Even if you like midcentric sound, i would skip it, it's expensive, has one of the most intense roll-off's i've ever heard, and buds much cheap can get to its level, like NiceHCK YDX (Midcentric, warm, midbass quantity, bass extension. Watch the fit as it has a smaller diammeter), or top it, like Lun Sheng Aeolian Bells (Midcentric, warm, treble extension, airy, stage width, imaging, resolution, separation. Watch the mmcx connector, its fragile).

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #75,590 of 75,871
I have DX6 in my collection for about a year now, and honestly, is one of my lowest ranking buds.
Dark, midcentric, rolled incredibly early on both ends, muddy, bad fit (too large), and lacking techinicalities (closed in soundstage, poor resolution, avarage separation). Imaging is good, has more stage height than most buds.

Even if you like midcentric sound, i would skip it, it's expensive, has one of the most intense roll-off's i've ever heard, and buds much cheap can get to its level, like NiceHCK YDX (Midcentric, warm, midbass quantity, bass extension. Watch the fit as it has a smaller diammeter), or top it, like Lun Sheng Aeolian Bells (Midcentric, warm, treble extension, airy, stage width, imaging, resolution, separation. Watch the mmcx connector, its fragile).
Thank you!

May 25, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #75,593 of 75,871
Spent this evening listening to the B70 with donuts and they sound much better to me with these foams.

Sounds less boxy listening to Joni Mitchell’s Hejira and some Kate Bush.

Still don’t like them much with classical but they are quickly becoming my go-to for other stuff. Very nice and super comfortable.

What are some buds people like that are somewhat similar to the B70??

May 25, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #75,594 of 75,871
I often see good reviews about earbuda with beryl diaphragms. Please recommend some top with a berylium diaphragm from Ali. I want to test it for myself.
Screenshot_2024-05-25-17-37-41-58_3c841798971d89a92069939d312bec3c.jpg

the cheapest option

May 25, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #75,596 of 75,871
Spent this evening listening to the B70 with donuts and they sound much better to me with these foams.

Sounds less boxy listening to Joni Mitchell’s Hejira and some Kate Bush.

Still don’t like them much with classical but they are quickly becoming my go-to for other stuff. Very nice and super comfortable.

What are some buds people like that are somewhat similar to the B70??
I like Shozy Cygnus and Shozy BK(Balanced).

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #75,597 of 75,871
May 25, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #75,600 of 75,871

Moondrop U2 making its review rounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back