Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #74,716 of 75,625
If you get a chance to try them at e-earphones for fit and a little listening it'll be nice to get your thoughts.

Sony has had other open earphone designs in the past, and we all know how Sony is. Once they latch onto an idea, they will pursue and perfect it as only they can. The "Walkman" is a prime example, from portable cassette players to their modern DAPs. I have and enjoy a couple of their DAPs and while they aren't at the top of the list for output power, they are great sounding and their industrial design is outstanding. I think something Sony prides themselves in.

https%3A%2F%2Faudioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20180302131819_SonyXperiaEar-DuoFrontWeb.jpg

2879dd242ed5eaa083ac7605361d9ca1

' Why upside-down? ' My reaction when I saw these for the first time back then. They could've gone ahead and dominated the bluetooth hooks market way early, and I used them all the time! Only if they took the time to make the wire adjustable.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #74,717 of 75,625
and yes, that 2k spike is a bit much.
It is real. But those that seek a good diffuse tuning would love these. Plus, they still have the biggest staging in all of the earbuds world (that I know of).
Just received Faaeal Iris Ancestor (Red blue), as add-ons for leftover coupon which came out <$1. It just makes me questioning this hobby once again. While not the most technical one (no s**t lol), it's quite adequate for average listening sessions. Applied a simple bright preset wavelet EQ on these, what else do we need really? Time to sell more IEMs!
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

It's a complete no brainer for $1 or less. :)

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #74,718 of 75,625
Yincrow rw-9

Mine broke a long time ago, but I really liked them. Found them on ali express just now with a "welcome deal" (since I hadn't been on there for a long time), which saved me 57%, and which I really welcomed! Thought about using the "welcome deal" on something that would save me hundreds of dollars, but I resisted. I'm looking forward to getting the RW-9's again. It might be good to pry the FF3's out of my ears now and then lol.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #74,719 of 75,625
Oh. My new DAC arrived today, which not only pairs aesthetically with my amp, but sonically, it is a beast as well. I am not sure I could have asked for more.

All of the buds I have listened to thus far are improved over any impressions I might have given in the past, but the Yinmans now leave the others behind (not really close anymore).

20240404_181103.jpg

20240404_162141.jpg

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #74,720 of 75,625
And congrats to you on your new shiny's! How are you liking them? Nicehck puts out some good buds(the excellent Traceless). These were in my eye sight when Ali was doing their sale. But I decided to not get them. Now seeing them again I'm kind of regretting that... Lol
THX I'am enjoying my E2BS pros but idk i feel like they are little bit thin and bright might be that I'am wearing them wrong lol. I think they are again on sale beucase of the choice day on ali.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #74,721 of 75,625
Well thank you for all that great info. I've got several mmcx cables laying about so the price will still remain low. I'm gonna roll the dice and get a pair. Cuz once I connect the cable it's going to stayconnected until the cable goes bad. So I probably won't be messing with the connections for quite a while. Just hopeful for a pair with no buzzing or other faults.

Thanks for your thoughts!

And thank you for your thoughts as well!

I kind of had the feeling that I would be recommended the bells over the rw9 for some reason. And they look like they're built like tanks. So hopefully I get no trouble out the box. I'm not familiar with smabat so I don't know they're sound. But I have seen them mentioned over and over so I'm guessing the house sound is well regarded.

Thank you once again to the both of you :ksc75smile:

And congrats to you on your new shiny's! How are you liking them? Nicehck puts out some good buds(the excellent Traceless). These were in my eye sight when Ali was doing their sale. But I decided to not get them. Now seeing them again I'm kind of regretting that... Lol
Well, I hope I didn't steer you down the wrong path and you end up with buds that are only mediocre to your sound prefs. It's always a 50/50 gamble, let's hope it turns into a 100% win for you. :slight_smile:

Oh. My new DAC arrived today, which not only pairs aesthetically with my amp, but sonically, it is a beast as well. I am not sure I could have asked for more.

All of the buds I have listened to thus far are improved over any impressions I might have given in the past, but the Yinmans now leave the others behind (not really close anymore).

Congrats! Looks like a sweet setup for many hours of music enjoyment.

I'm waiting for a new toy to arrive. Should be tubeylicious...

Cayin's new low-end DAP, but it puts out some decent power rivaling some mid-tier DAPs and full tube sound out from 3.5SE / 4.4Bal and also line out connections. No wifi or bluetooth, just a stand alone music player DAP. I hope to get my pre-order soon.

1712277132341.png

1712277158103.png

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #74,722 of 75,625

20240404_181103.jpg
20240404_162141.jpg
Lots of congrats on having found what looks to be your endgame! Here’s wishing you years of deep enjoyment!

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #74,723 of 75,625

20240404_181103.jpg
20240404_162141.jpg

CONGRATS!

IMHO, after upgrading the transducer and fiddling with eartips/foams, the next step is to invest in a good source. It theoretically will future proof the hobby, well at least for a few months, by opening options for powering some transducers which would otherwise sound anemic or underpowered. And you can look at it as a one-time investment to last for months down the line, unlike pokemon IEMs and earbuds which we addicts buy every few weeks hahaha.

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #74,724 of 75,625
Well, I hope I didn't steer you down the wrong path and you end up with buds that are only mediocre to your sound prefs. It's always a 50/50 gamble, let's hope it turns into a 100% win for you. :slight_smile:

Congrats! Looks like a sweet setup for many hours of music enjoyment.

I'm waiting for a new toy to arrive. Should be tubeylicious...

Cayin's new low-end DAP, but it puts out some decent power rivaling some mid-tier DAPs and full tube sound out from 3.5SE / 4.4Bal and also line out connections. No wifi or bluetooth, just a stand alone music player DAP. I hope to get my pre-order soon.

1712277132341.png
1712277158103.png
Many thanks to you. It has actually already supplied many hours of enjoyment because I have not taken the head gear off my head/out of my ears since I got it/them. haha

Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny!

That looks very nice! I haven't had a chance to look it up yet, but are you telling me this has a proper valve tube in it, not a Korg Nutube (LED tube)? The amp card I have with the DX300 that is Nutube, is fantastic, and not as bad as I thought it would be comparing it to the new amp, but it isn't quite there either (comparatively speaking). Innovation keeps shocking me in a realm that you would think has completely reached a plateau. :) I do hope it is all that you hope for. You will let us know, right? :wink:

having found what looks to be your endgame!
I am sure hoping that this is indeed "endgame" for me. Thank you very much. :)
CONGRATS!
Thank you so much.
IMHO, after upgrading the transducer and fiddling with eartips/foams, the next step is to invest in a good source. It theoretically will future proof the hobby, well at least for a few months, by opening options for powering some transducers which would otherwise sound anemic or underpowered. And you can look at it as a one-time investment to last for months down the line, unlike pokemon IEMs and earbuds which we addicts buy every few weeks hahaha.
This is the thought and am hoping that it will be WAY more than a few months.

Yeah, addict is the best way to describe what is going on with us Head-Fi'ers.... :wink: Might be cheaper to become an alcoholic instead. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #74,725 of 75,625
Just received Faaeal Iris Ancestor (Red blue), as add-ons for leftover coupon which came out <$1. It just makes me questioning this hobby once again. While not the most technical one (no s**t lol), it's quite adequate for average listening sessions. Applied a simple bright preset wavelet EQ on these, what else do we need really? Time to sell more IEMs!

I just had the same feeling listening to OpenHeart's Nightingale; are they as smooth, resolving, or have as wide of a frequency range as the RW-2000? Absolutely not, but for $12 on sale they're pretty good for a budget bud and satisfy my need for a cheap yet decent sounding earbud that I won't care if I lose or damage. There are a lot of great cheap earbuds that have been recommended here but most of them have a fixed cable and while I could build my own or have someone build me one I wouldn't feel like I could treat it as disposable with all of the time and effort involved. The way I've kept myself from going overboard yet still giving myself room for more purchases is finding issues with each earbud I'm listening to or finding a specific use case where what I have doesn't fit. For example my upgrade path from the Rhino to the RW-2000 was due to some harshness and fluttering I heard in female vocals from certain songs regardless of source. There will always be that itch to upgrade (the Yinman 600 is calling my name) but without a solid reason of something I don't like about what I already have it keeps my impulses in check.

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #74,726 of 75,625
Many thanks to you. It has actually already supplied many hours of enjoyment because I have not taken the head gear off my head/out of my ears since I got it/them. haha

Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny!

That looks very nice! I haven't had a chance to look it up yet, but are you telling me this has a proper valve tube in it, not a Korg Nutube (LED tube)? The amp card I have with the DX300 that is Nutube, is fantastic, and not as bad as I thought it would be comparing it to the new amp, but it isn't quite there either (comparatively speaking). Innovation keeps shocking me in a realm that you would think has completely reached a plateau. :) I do hope it is all that you hope for. You will let us know, right? :wink:
It's using 2 sub-miniature pentodes, the JAN6418, which are also in their N3Pro DAP, but with a much better amplifier design. The N3Pro was only able to have tube timbre from the 3.5mmSE output, the 4.4mmBal was SS. The N3Ultra has tube timbre and SS out of both 3.5 and 4.4. Since it only has 2 tubes, the tube amp section is only SE, and Cayin admits they are doing some circuit magic with the 4.4 output.

They're taking DAC balanced signal, converting to SE, passing it thru the tube amp (R & L channels) and reconverting SE back to balanced 4.4. The 4.4 SS signal path is fully balanced from DAC thru output amp to the 4.4 jack. Final output power is 3.5SE @ 250mW / 32Ω and 4.4Bal @ 600mW / 32Ω. While not like top tier DAPs that have Nutubes (iBasso 300 / 320 or Cayin N8ii) in output power, the N3Ultra should have no problem driving the Yinman 600 for at least a pleasureable tube timbre listening experience.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #74,727 of 75,625
Yincrow rw-9 sounds greater than X6.

HieGi donut foams: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832456516124.html
are you sure the rw-9 will sound greater for everyone? going from the graphs personally i would avoid the rw-9 at any cost with its rise in the upper mids and overall v-shaped signature. i can see others looking for this kind of frequency response tho. generalizing better sound is almost impossible in my book.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #74,728 of 75,625
are you sure the rw-9 will sound greater for everyone? going from the graphs personally i would avoid the rw-9 at any cost with its rise in the upper mids and overall v-shaped signature. i can see others looking for this kind of frequency response tho. generalizing better sound is almost impossible in my book.
In general, people who like Yincrow X6 will like rw-9 more, I think.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #74,730 of 75,625
as i dont own either of them but the rw3000 i cannot finally comment. as i said going from graphs alone i wouldnt put my signature under that tho.
Wow, unusually we agree, I don't like Yincrow rw-3000 either.

By the way, you seem to have FR graph of Yincrow rw-3000, please post it here. I collect FR graphs for earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back