Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #74,671 of 75,336
Hello
I need an advice :) : if I am plenty satisfied with my high end earbuds, I am wondering if there is a mid tier model with a sound signature very similar to Fiio FF3 * - that I enjoy -k, but a step above in sound quality ? Should be low impedance high sensivity, as I plan to pair it with my Hiby R3ii for a very small combo.

EDIT : * I would describe the sound signature of the Ff3 as rather dark, with impactful bass, but still detailed, musical and refined...

This is more of a sidegrade or marginal upgrade, but you can check out the Fiio FF3S.

Both generally share the same DNA in being bassy and warm earbuds, but the original FF3 is even bassier but less resolving, losing in technicalities and treble extension. Think of the FF3S as being a tinge more balanced, so as to allow the rest of the midrange/treble to be showcased a bit more.

It is more expensive than the OG FF3, and it isn't a "step above in sound quality" as you requested.

To go above for a more substantial upgrade, then the Yinman 600 ohm is probably the answer, except it requires crazy amplification due to the sick 87 dB/mW sensitivity and 600 ohm impedance.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #74,672 of 75,336
This is more of a sidegrade or marginal upgrade, but you can check out the Fiio FF3S.

Both generally share the same DNA in being bassy and warm earbuds, but the original FF3 is even bassier but less resolving, losing in technicalities and treble extension. Think of the FF3S as being a tinge more balanced, so as to allow the rest of the midrange/treble to be showcased a bit more.

It is more expensive than the OG FF3, and it isn't a "step above in sound quality" as you requested.

To go above for a more substantial upgrade, then the Yinman 600 ohm is probably the answer, except it requires crazy amplification due to the sick 87 dB/mW sensitivity and 600 ohm impedance.
I doubt this high impedance would pair well with the rather weak R3ii (only 380mw @32ohms), although sofastreamer's feedback is interesting...

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #74,673 of 75,336
I doubt this high impedance would pair well with the rather weak R3ii (only 380mw @32ohms), although sofastreamer's feedback is interesting...
I'd recommend Rikubuds as some of his sets are warm and relaxed

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #74,674 of 75,336

Bro, the impedance is not the bigger issue, more of the low sensitivity!

380 mW at 32 ohm I think can't drive the Yinmans optimally IMHO.

It's not a matter of volume, but the bass will be bloated and one-noted, with some compression in soundstage. Driving well is not the same as driving to adequate volume. No doubt there is sound, but the sonics will not be as optimal as a real desktop grade amp.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #74,675 of 75,336
You can try the Vido/Yincrow X6.
Edit: My bad, I didn't read it quite well either. There aren't many branded buds with a sound signature similar to the FF3, which is why many people find it unique. Your best bet for bassy earbuds with better sound quality with those requirements is DIY. You can check Rikubuds; he can probably cook up something for you.
Can you make a comparison between your diy 120 ohm and what you have from Rikubuds?

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #74,676 of 75,336
Can you make a comparison between your diy 120 ohm and what you have from Rikubuds?
I haven't tried any of his buds yet because shipping and customs duty in here can be pretty pricey😩(though I've been curious about trying them out in the future). But I have tried drivers that he used in some of them (kudos to him for not keeping it a secret). And based on reviews of his earbuds, they look very promising. I think his custom shells contribute a lot to the sound of his earbuds, mainly because of their fit, which most people find very comfortable to wear.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #74,677 of 75,336
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #74,678 of 75,336
@JAnonymous5150 & @mt877 do you find them to fit better/worse, or similar to the RW2000 and RW3000 (and pretty much all the other models that have been designed similar for years)? For me I didn't notice a ton of fitment differences between the RW2000 and RW3000, even though the RW3000 is a bit smaller (but same shape overall), and even though both cables are fairly heavy.
The fit is, for me, different than the RW series. I don't know that I'd say better as both are amongst the best, most stable fitting buds I own. If you put a gun to my head and asked which fit I'd go with to save my life I'd probably just spit out whichever rolled off my tongue as I find the 3K and 4K to be essentially endlessly wearable as far as comfort is concerned. So far the longest I've worn the 4Ks for consecutively was about 8 hours with zero fatigue from the fit.
Here's a comparison pic of the 2k, 3k and 4k right side buds. To me the major contributing factor for fit is the cable attachment position. 2k and 3k are offset, while the 4k is only slightly offset toward the front edge which makes the cable pull different. Another difference in the shell is the position of the vent holes. 2k and 3k are on top and 4k is on the side toward the ear canal.

2k_3k_4k_comparison.jpg

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #74,679 of 75,336
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #74,682 of 75,336
Yes, of course)
I plan to close my needs with three pairs of earbuds: bass relaxation, neutral universal and bright detailed.
I have already identified two pairs. These are the Fiio FF5 (which I have had for several months) and the Viridis (which are still on their way to me).
As for bass, I am currently choosing between Fiio FF3 and Yinman 600. Are the cheaper Fiio FF3 also good earbuds with TOTL sound?
I'm worried about the high power that the Yinman need...

So the OG FF3s are a unique pair of buds, IMO and I haven't found any buds at any price that can do what they do with their bass and presentation. That said the Yinmans are definitely the more complete and refined pair of buds and are probably more versatile. The FF3s get a ton of use in my rotation because when I want to have fun and get really drawn into some energetic music, they hit the spot in ways I can't replace. They aren't technical powerhouses, but they are technically proficient and they aren't the most versatile pair because of their tuning, but when they click with a song/artist/genre, the results can be magical, IME. I will never be without a pair of FF3s.

Did the Viridis show up yet? 😉

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #74,683 of 75,336
Hey guys, does anyone have an email address for Jerry at Cyperus Audio? I seem to have lost it somehow and wanted to contact him about getting a new pair and I don't have Facebook which is the way he's operating these days from what I hear. Thanks for any help!

I'm gonna tag @Cyperus just in case he comes on here. Jerry, if you read this shoot me a PM with a way to contact you so we can talk, please. I have an idea I wanted to see if you could execute for me. Thanks! 👍😎

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #74,684 of 75,336
So I'm looking for my next bud fix while I save up for an amp and Yinman 600ohm. Which is at least a couple months away...

The two I'm looking at are the Aeolian Bells and yincrow rw-9. Anyone have an opinion? I've read good things on both. But I'm wandering if the rw-9 is really a step up from the x6(I should have started with the rw-9). The Bells would be my first bell shape. So that makes it a little more intriguing.

I'm really not wanting to spend more than a $20 right now.

If any of the flat head faithful here in the thread has an opinion then please let me know. It'll be much appreciated. :ksc75smile:

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #74,685 of 75,336
Bro, the impedance is not the bigger issue, more of the low sensitivity!

380 mW at 32 ohm I think can't drive the Yinmans optimally IMHO.

It's not a matter of volume, but the bass will be bloated and one-noted, with some compression in soundstage. Driving well is not the same as driving to adequate volume. No doubt there is sound, but the sonics will not be as optimal as a real desktop grade amp.
as i said, to me its about 90-95% of what the yinman is able to achieve. as it is a "cheaper" bud, it might still be worth a shot, cause it will still be better than most of the buds out there and have the tonality he is searching for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back