Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #74,641 of 75,383
I received and burned in the Temperament X3 for about 20 hours, so I'd like to write a quick impression comparing the X3 with LBBS and Onmyoji.

Pros: X3 has improved bass than LBBS and sounds closer to Onmyoji.
The X3 also comes with a balanced cable with a 4.4mm 5-pole plug, and the balance sound is great.

Cons: The replacement cable that comes with the X3 has a vinyl-like texture and is far inferior to the excellent LBBS braided cable, making it hard to believe that these are $70 earbuds.

The splitter-like part of the X3 cable can be easily removed (it seems to be called a modular wire system). From here onwards, we will replace the parts to achieve balance.
This modular wire system is implemented in all X10, X6, and X3.

The black version of the X3 I purchased has "MODEL Onmyoji se" written on the box.
This is probably because not only the shell is made of two colors, black and silver, but also the diaphragm is made of the same material as Onmyoji.

The sound of X3 is better than LBBS and closer to Onmyoji.
It's a very shame that the replacement cable has a vinyl-like texture.

X3cable.jpg
Thanks for sharing... So it is my understanding that you very much like the sound, but not so much the cable???

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #74,643 of 75,383
Unless, you are saying that they have released a new driver altogether, which I was unaware of, and makes the next paragraph irrelevant to your question. :)

Yep, they released updated version of the SO driver which added a supposedly anti-distortion coating to the old SO driver in China. They also changed the colour of the casing of the driver.
So, the answer to your question (taking the REALLY long way around it :wink:) is yes, I have, and I actually find them the best sound for the M2s Pro, and the M4 (though the ST10S driver and the new "Golden" 150ohm driver is up there with it in sound quality). For me, it has the best balance overall, only lacking in bass quantity by a small amount compared to the 150ohm drivers but having a bit better texture and punch.

Do you found M2s Pro/M4 + SO driver better than M5Pro + SO driver? If so, that's a shame, I was considering getting the M5Pro.

From what I heard the M4 + SO driver is less balanced than the original Superone FYI.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #74,644 of 75,383
Yep, they released updated version of the SO driver which added a supposedly anti-distortion coating to the old SO driver in China. They also changed the colour of the casing of the driver.

Do you found M2s Pro/M4 + SO driver better than M5Pro + SO driver? If so, that's a shame, I was considering getting the M5Pro.

From what I heard the M4 + SO driver is less balanced than the original Superone FYI.
Interesting. Do you have a link about this updated driver? I would be curious to read about it. :)

Yes, I do. That is, at least for the m5 Pro (golden) which is the 150ohm (updated from the ST10S 150ohm driver). I know very little about the M5, since you can't buy the "golden" 150ohm driver separately, I am assuming the SO driver (or at least the older ST10S 150ohm driver) is best on that one. But for the M5 Pro (golden), the stock driver has been the best for me so far... Having said that, I have not really liked the bud much since I bought it, up until this last week when I got my new tube amp. So, I haven't really had much time to "driver roll" on this set (again). I will be doing it over time though, now that I can actually listen to the M5 Pro. :)

I can believe that statement because of the shell. There is no "maze" setup like there is in the OG SO, and the M5. In fact the worst part of the M4 is the fact that there is NO room behind the driver at all, though there is a very small port for bass, there is nothing to control the mids and highs at all. The M2s Pro at least had quite a bit of room behind the driver to tune them properly (even though there is no "maze" in those either). But otherwise it uses the same driver for the M4 that was used in the OG SO...

Personally, and even though I keep buying them, I haven't been as big of a fan of the Smabat buds since the M2s Pro and ST10S. Those were the last and best ones for my ears. They have increased the "ice pick" levels so much since then on all of their earbuds, the rest of the tuning makes no difference, because I can't really hear past the shrill/shouty nature of the presence region.

Interestingly enough, their sister company Lun Sheng has put out some really cheap budget buds (Aeolian Bells) that have the overall Smabat "house" tuning, but they are not offensive in the any frequency (to my ears); they are pretty fantastic for less than $20.... How ironic that their budget sister company can successfully tune some cheapos, but Smabat can't seem to get it right.

This is much like the much lauded CCA CRA and CRA+ which is the (budget) sister company of KZ. These IEMs were only $20, and had a real hype train going over any other thing that KZ had put out at that time (even though they were much cheaper). :)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #74,645 of 75,383
Does anyone else use earbuds without foam pads?)
Many earbuds are too big for me. For example, VE Monk Plus feels a little too big even without foam pads.
I feel that buds with a diameter of about 14 mm or a little more fit me best. Moreover, foam pads create an increase not only in diameter, but also in thickness. And this is the most disturbing...
At the moment, Fiio FF5 or EM3S are perfect for me. Also, Viridis is convenient. But all of them without foam pads)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #74,646 of 75,383
Interesting. Do you have a link about this updated driver? I would be curious to read about it. :)

doesn't look like I can properly link it address here. You can find it in Sambat store on Aliexpress.

1711868160560.png

Judging from the frequency response graph the up-pick in 2-3k region has been completely reversed. don't know if it's true or not. The customer service from Smabat said the new driver has less distortion in sound but did not mention the change in sound signature.

1711867964636.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #74,647 of 75,383
doesn't look like I can properly link it address here. You can find it in Sambat store on Aliexpress.

1711868160560.png

Judging from the frequency response graph the up-pick in 2-3k region has been completely reversed. don't know if it's true or not. The customer service from Smabat said the new driver has less distortion in sound but did not mention the change in sound signature.

1711867964636.png
Anyway, it doesn't matter, both drivers are choked. You have to detach from that adapter and let them breathe

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #74,648 of 75,383

Link to Smabat English site: https://www.smabat.cn/

I saved these images of the SO driver when it was first released for the M4 series. From their description looks like there is no new change from at least the M4 release except for the housing color.

Note they describe "Diaphragm: 15.4mm/Coating Biofiber+PU
Super-one 01.jpg

FR curve they posted for M4 series is also the same.
Super-one 02.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #74,649 of 75,383
I guess the FiiO EM5 fits that category for me. The shape is unique, and I really like the cable. They were also my first buy for trying to get back into earbuds after failing time after time at liking IEMs.

However, that unique shape doesn't really fit my ears, and I've talked before about how I'm not so fond of the sound either. Maybe I just need a tube amp to fix it! I do still have them.
The EM5 was really my first big purchase (cost wise) into earbuds. I remember when I first got them that I thought they were bass cannons and they do live up to that claim with their bass flute design. That's basically because I put on the full bass foams and listened to them that way. After a while I switched over to the FiiO donut foams and that helped balance the sound out for me and that's how I've kept them since.

Tube amp? For sure, go for it! LOL!

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #74,650 of 75,383
Does anyone else use earbuds without foam pads?)
Many earbuds are too big for me. For example, VE Monk Plus feels a little too big even without foam pads.
I feel that buds with a diameter of about 14 mm or a little more fit me best. Moreover, foam pads create an increase not only in diameter, but also in thickness. And this is the most disturbing...
At the moment, Fiio FF5 or EM3S are perfect for me. Also, Viridis is convenient. But all of them without foam pads)
While I will start out my listening of a brand new earbud with no foams, it never lasts. I always use foams, though on some sets I have, I will use donut foams (to bring out the bass more but leave the upper frequencies alone. Having said that, I don't really have any issues with sizing and fitment (though I have some that don't like to stay in my ears for long, but they aren't too big per se').

I don't see anything mentioned on that site about the SO driver being "new" or changed other than using a different casing. As for the graph, this is basically the same graph that they have always been (changed just a touch because they were measured in a diffferent shell from before; the M2s Pro, and then the M4, and now the M5). Also, you must not go by the measurements from Smabat. They are WHOLLY inaccurate. All of their measurements are done in a sealed coupler (like an IEM), and your ears will never hear them that way (tip: while in your ears, try pressing really hard on them and notice how the sound changes). There are no earbuds that measure even close to this flat in real life. If you look at any/all of their drivers going all the way back to the M0, they all show something similar to this graph. Here are some of my old M2s Pro drivers, and then my M4 drivers to show you (note the SO driver is very close to the same even then):
Drivers.PNG

And the M4 drivers:
M4WithDrivers.PNG

If you do a search on this thread, there are many that have done some measurements the are more accurate (though I don't recall if anyone did Smabat specific measurements). This is a typical curve for earbuds (I might add that both sets measured here have much more bass, and less pina gain than does any of the Smabat buds):

FiiOFF5&RW3000.png

Anyway, it doesn't matter, both drivers are choked. You have to detach from that adapter and let them breathe
Agreed (as usual).. :) I think that they have done a great job in porting for bass response, but it looks like they simply stopped designing there, and weren't worried about the mid and highs. It is almost like they have never inserted their own buds into their ears and gave a listen... haha

Edit: LOL @mt877 you beat me to it.. I was writing this up and looking for my old pictures as you posted...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #74,651 of 75,383
I don't see anything mentioned on that site about the SO driver being "new" or changed other than using a different casing.
The sales rep in a one of the promo video for Smabat briefly mentioned the added coating.
As for the graph, this is basically the same graph that they have always been (changed just a touch because they were measured in a diffferent shell from before; the M2s Pro, and then the M4, and now the M5).
Hmm..
Agreed (as usual).. :) I think that they have done a great job in porting for bass response, but it looks like they simply stopped designing there, and weren't worried about the mid and highs. It is almost like they have never inserted their own buds into their ears and gave a listen... haha
I think it's just their preference. I'm one of these unlucky ones that got a earlier version of their very first earbuds ST10, it has bright and thin highs and mids but airy and ridiculously big bass (like listening to PA speakers). It's like all the warmth and thickness from mids and highs went to the bass.

Apr 1, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #74,652 of 75,383
Apr 1, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #74,653 of 75,383
My set of Yincrow RW-4000 arrived at my doorstep today. Only a few hours of listening to them and I'm really liking the sound they deliver.

Read @JAnonymous5150's excellent impressions of the RW-4000.

Yincrow_RW4K.jpg

Nice! Can't wait to see what you think of them after you've had some time. I've only had some discussion with two other owners and one of them has a very different opinion/perception of the 4Ks from mine which was something I had thought about as a possibility given some of the changes I noted in my impressions. Given his totally divergent opinion, I've been pretty curious to see what others, especially those like you with some opinions I'm familiar with, think about them.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the heck out of them. Happy listening, bro!👍😎

P.S. Thanks for the kind word about my impressions. 🙏

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #74,654 of 75,383
Apr 1, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #74,655 of 75,383
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

They really did change up the aesthetics on this set, didn't they?

Like @JAnonymous5150, I am also looking forward to your impressions on these. :)
Yeah these look sharp as hell! Love the new aesthetics! I will be ordering a set of these soon! Can’t wait!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back