Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #74,626 of 75,173
But still - can a speaker Amp be used like that? I think the output of a speaker amp with say 2*100 watts into 4 ohms must be magnitudes lower into 600 ohms, no?
I have not done that myself, but it should work. Depending on the amps signal to noise level, you may hear some hiss, but I think with 600Ω earbuds / headphones the hiss (if there is any) may be totally inaudible. just start with the volume knob at low and slowly increase the volume. I also think you should disconnect any speakers before connecting any head gear. I would not recommend doing this on a tube amp for speakers.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #74,627 of 75,173
Here's the calculation for SE output:
W x Ω = V(squared)
Take the square root of V(squared) = Vrms
Again, I understand all these laws very well (years with schematics design and soldering with scope and so on).
Just saying about power isn't sufficient without saying something else (yes, it could be resistance, or max voltage or max current or load plots). For high impedance load 600 Ohm it is very unexpected case when limit is a current limit. So, it is sufficient to say about max output voltage only.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #74,628 of 75,173
Again, I understand all these laws very well (years with schematics design and soldering with scope and so on).
Just saying about power isn't sufficient without saying something else (yes, it could be resistance, or max voltage or max current or load plots). For high impedance load 600 Ohm it is very unexpected case when limit is a current limit. So, it is sufficient to say about max output voltage only.
I guess you could have looked up the specs yourself then as well.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #74,629 of 75,173
Yeah, it's really a bit of a numbers game, but like you said, who cares at those power levels. Both amps will drive anything we would care to throw at them.
The A70 Pro Tech Specs is in the spoiler for what it's worth.

A70 Pro 23.jpg
That thing is just a beast, plain and simple.... ROFL
I have not done that myself, but it should work. Depending on the amps signal to noise level, you may hear some hiss, but I think with 600Ω earbuds / headphones the hiss (if there is any) may be totally inaudible. just start with the volume knob at low and slowly increase the volume. I also think you should disconnect any speakers before connecting any head gear. I would not recommend doing this on a tube amp for speakers.
While doing research on the iFi over quite a while, I have read about "the new trend" with headphone amps that are versatile (like this one). They are running headphones AND monitors at the same time, so not only can they hear the bass, but they can also feel it via the monitors. I guess the point is that it isn't as uncommon as I (also) thought it might be to drive loudspeakers from these amps... :) Though my name's Bennett and I ain't in it..... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not only that, but it should be able to drive a pretty decent set to decent levels (assuming they are at least at medium efficiency) because at 20V it should be able to drive (let's say) 6ohm speakers to 33W x 2. It may not be as nice as something like my home system for loudspeakers (1050W max) but there it is... :)

Anyhow, as promised, I have started to listen to some of my other buds with this amp, and the next in line is the Smabat M4 W/150ohm driver and I have to say that while in tube mode, the (to my ears) bothersome upper mids are all but vanished. I can't believe it, I can actually listen to these now. :) The weird part is that I don't find the amp (in tube mode) overly warm as a signature. Either way, I'll take it.

Also, my set of adapters finally came in. The only cable I am lacking at this point is the dual 3 pin XLR female to 4.4mm balanced so I can run into my amp from a true LO, rather than double amping like I am currently limited to because of cabling... :) Apparently it is coming from China (which I failed to see on Amazon when ordering this, or I would have just gotten this cable with the rest of my cables/adapters from HartAudio). 🤷‍♂️
20240329_123507.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #74,630 of 75,173
That thing is just a beast, plain and simple.... ROFL

While doing research on the iFi over quite a while, I have read about "the new trend" with headphone amps that are versatile (like this one). They are running headphones AND monitors at the same time, so not only can they hear the bass, but they can also feel it via the monitors. I guess the point is that it isn't as uncommon as I (also) thought it might be to drive loudspeakers from these amps... :) Though my name's Bennett and I ain't in it..... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not only that, but it should be able to drive a pretty decent set to decent levels (assuming they are at least at medium efficiency) because at 20V it should be able to drive (let's say) 6ohm speakers to 33W x 2. It may not be as nice as something like my home system for loudspeakers (1050W max) but there it is... :)

Anyhow, as promised, I have started to listen to some of my other buds with this amp, and the next in line is the Smabat M4 W/150ohm driver and I have to say that while in tube mode, the (to my ears) bothersome upper mids are all but vanished. I can't believe it, I can actually listen to these now. :) The weird part is that I don't find the amp (in tube mode) overly warm as a signature. Either way, I'll take it.

Also, my set of adapters finally came in. The only cable I am lacking at this point is the dual 3 pin XLR female to 4.4mm balanced so I can run into my amp from a true LO, rather than double amping like I am currently limited to because of cabling... :) Apparently it is coming from China (which I failed to see on Amazon when ordering this, or I would have just gotten this cable with the rest of my cables/adapters from HartAudio). 🤷‍♂️
20240329_123507.jpg
Sweet, sounds like you're having a great time discovering what your new Pro iCan Sig is capable of. I think you've found your "End Game" desktop head amp. Nice looking set of adapters too.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #74,631 of 75,173

That's a promising result. I'd love to try listening to some of my problematic buds on that.

What surprises me is that you held on to those M4s for so long. You must have really wanted to like them.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #74,632 of 75,173
Sweet, sounds like you're having a great time discovering what your new Pro iCan Sig is capable of. I think you've found your "End Game" desktop head amp. Nice looking set of adapters too.
I am absolutely having a great time re-discovering some of my head gear. :) And, I also think you are right. This, for me will be "end game". I might try (years down the road) some tube rolling eventually as well just out of curiosity. But for now it is perfection for my needs.

I thought so as well. Hart Audio makes some pretty awesome looking (and sounding) stuff for a fair price that isn't "gouge worthy".... And since they are in the US shipping is fast for me. :) I have their modular cables on all of my headphones (that are removeable).
That's a promising result. I'd love to try listening to some of my problematic buds on that.

What surprises me is that you held on to those M4s for so long. You must have really wanted to like them.
I know, and I was completely shocked at the result.

HAHA I DID really want to like these. They are such a great design, beautiful, and pretty solid. I just couldn't get over the ice pick sound. Looks like I did the right thing in saving them (and I suspect the M5 Golden as well; we shall see). :)

Have you ever had a set of some type of head gear that you just wanted to like so much that you couldn't bring yourself to get rid of them?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #74,633 of 75,173
How is the soundstage depth of Yinman 600? Some say it is about the same as rw2000, the soundstage of rw2000 is not very deep.

Is Hifiman EF400 a good pair for the 600s? Should I get the 3.5 or balanced 4.4 or 2.5?

Thanks.
i own the rw3000 and it also isnt great at depth. the yinman on the other hand is around the best i own in this regard. The Ucotech Es-P1 is still better though but the Yinman is not too far behind

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #74,634 of 75,173
Have you ever had a set of some type of head gear that you just wanted to like so much that you couldn't bring yourself to get rid of them?

I guess the FiiO EM5 fits that category for me. The shape is unique, and I really like the cable. They were also my first buy for trying to get back into earbuds after failing time after time at liking IEMs.

However, that unique shape doesn't really fit my ears, and I've talked before about how I'm not so fond of the sound either. Maybe I just need a tube amp to fix it! I do still have them.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #74,635 of 75,173
i own the rw3000 and it also isnt great at depth. the yinman on the other hand is around the best i own in this regard. The Ucotech Es-P1 is still better though but the Yinman is not too far behind
Yea, rw3000 has very forward sound which hurts the soundstage depth. All yincrow buds seems to be pretty colored. The best depth I have heard from buds (which are not many) is superone, very boxy soundstage with pretty phenomenal depth, extremely good layering. I have thought about getting a tube amp maybe that save the ice pick sound.

Anyone has tried the new superone driver for smabat's modular buds?

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #74,636 of 75,173
Maybe I just need a tube amp to fix it! I do still have them.
I'll second that thought... :)
Yea, rw3000 has very forward sound which hurts the soundstage depth. All yincrow buds seems to be pretty colored. The best depth I have heard from buds (which are not many) is superone, very boxy soundstage with pretty phenomenal depth, extremely good layering. I have thought about getting a tube amp maybe that save the ice pick sound.

Anyone has tried the new superone driver for smabat's modular buds?
Are you talking about the SO driver for the M4/M5/Pro? If so, it is not new. It is using the same driver that you could get with the M2s Pro (which is the same driver used in the actual Super One buds) and is also the same driver that you can get for the M4, but with the casing updated to fit the M4, and now the M5/pro as well.

Unless, you are saying that they have released a new driver altogether, which I was unaware of, and makes the next paragraph irrelevant to your question. :)

So, the answer to your question (taking the REALLY long way around it :wink:) is yes, I have, and I actually find them the best sound for the M2s Pro, and the M4 (though the ST10S driver and the new "Golden" 150ohm driver is up there with it in sound quality). For me, it has the best balance overall, only lacking in bass quantity by a small amount compared to the 150ohm drivers but having a bit better texture and punch.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #74,637 of 75,173
I'll second that thought... :)

Are you talking about the SO driver for the M4/M5/Pro? If so, it is not new. It is using the same driver that you could get with the M2s Pro (which is the same driver used in the actual Super One buds) and is also the same driver that you can get for the M4, but with the casing updated to fit the M4, and now the M5/pro as well.

Unless, you are saying that they have released a new driver altogether, which I was unaware of, and makes the next paragraph irrelevant to your question. :)

So, the answer to your question (taking the REALLY long way around it :wink:) is yes, I have, and I actually find them the best sound for the M2s Pro, and the M4 (though the ST10S driver and the new "Golden" 150ohm driver is up there with it in sound quality). For me, it has the best balance overall, only lacking in bass quantity by a small amount compared to the 150ohm drivers but having a bit better texture and punch.
I would liked you to listen to my 64 ohm TI M5pro20240330_202157.jpg

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #74,638 of 75,173
I would liked you to listen to my 64 ohm TI M5pro20240330_202157.jpg
Oh, I would bet they probably put the OG ones to shame... You are a "master" craftsman, and I would bet dollars to dozens you have utilized the very good shell and design to its full potential (unlike Smabat)... :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #74,639 of 75,173
Mar 30, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #74,640 of 75,173
Sorry to hear about your old ones breaking, but congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

You will have to share your experience with them when they arrive?!

I received and burned in the Temperament X3 for about 20 hours, so I'd like to write a quick impression comparing the X3 with LBBS and Onmyoji.

Pros: X3 has improved bass than LBBS and sounds closer to Onmyoji.
The X3 also comes with a balanced cable with a 4.4mm 5-pole plug, and the balance sound is great.

Cons: The replacement cable that comes with the X3 has a vinyl-like texture and is far inferior to the excellent LBBS braided cable, making it hard to believe that these are $70 earbuds.

The splitter-like part of the X3 cable can be easily removed (it seems to be called a modular wire system). From here onwards, we will replace the parts to achieve balance.
This modular wire system is implemented in all X10, X6, and X3.

The black version of the X3 I purchased has "MODEL Onmyoji se" written on the box.
This is probably because not only the shell is made of two colors, black and silver, but also the diaphragm is made of the same material as Onmyoji.

The sound of X3 is better than LBBS and closer to Onmyoji.
It's a very shame that the replacement cable has a vinyl-like texture.

X3cable.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back