Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #74,612 of 75,162
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #74,613 of 75,162
It certainly seems to be from the specs and all that I have read (apparently it will drive the Susvara without breaking a sweat :wink:). I opted for the iFi Pro iCan Signature. :)

Sorry to hear about your old ones breaking, but congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

You will have to share your experience with them when they arrive?!
A 14 watts amp from balanced out? Wouldn't an adapter from cinch to 4.4mm female and using your usual speaker amp not be an option here? 😅

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #74,614 of 75,162
Oh sorry, I wrote it wrong!
What I ordered for USD 70 was not Temperament X6, but black Temperament X3.:deadhorse:
Is there any hope for the sound with Temperament X3?
I burned X3 for ~250 hours and listened just now for a few minutes.
Initial impression - X3 is a great improvement over X6, and sounds fairly close to LBBS.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply a renamed LBBS (with a horrible cable), to justify increasing the price - 90$ vs 48$.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #74,617 of 75,162
A 14 watts amp from balanced out? Wouldn't an adapter from cinch to 4.4mm female and using your usual speaker amp not be an option here? 😅
Maybe you should be directing that to me because my Topping A70 Pro headphone amp is capable of 17W per channel from balanced out. Hehe. :sunglasses:

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #74,618 of 75,162
Yinman 600 (or other not sensitive buds) feeding is one of the most popular subject here. I have imagined those watts you all are saying about being pushed into those small things called buds. Definitely sounding must be warm in the truest sense of the word.

Even a resistor dissipating, say, 0.5W is sufficiently hot to be difficult to touch.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #74,619 of 75,162
I have a set of the Temperament X3 coming as well. I like the sound from the LBBS, Temperament X6 and I think the Temperament X3 will be a further step up.
Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

It would if I were to use it where my speaker system resides (family room, or living room), but I wanted this as a desktop solution in my den/computer room. :)
I really like the signature, like really !
Hmmmm.... if you REALY REALLY like them, then I would say that there probably isn't "better" for your ears... :)

I hate to keep repeating my suggestions (people are probably getting tired of seeing ole' samandhi regurgitating the same old speal over and over :wink:), but the Yinman would be the next step up (IMHO). All of the other store bought TOTL buds are indeed TOTL, but I don't think any can trump the meaty, and well textured bass response of the FF3 short of the Yinman, which do it in a bit different way, though comparable in that area...

Or... one of the fantastic DIY sets you can purchase. Most of these people will listen to your input to custom tune it how you like, and to your tastes. :beerchug:

Just my $.02, and as always, YMMV.
Maybe you should be directing that to me because my Topping A70 Pro headphone amp is capable of 17W per channel from balanced out. Hehe. :sunglasses:
That is one beefy and beautiful amplifier there bro... :)

Is that your current favorite amplifier for head gear???

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #74,620 of 75,162

But still - can a speaker Amp be used like that? I think the output of a speaker amp with say 2*100 watts into 4 ohms must be magnitudes lower into 600 ohms, no?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #74,621 of 75,162
Yinman 600 (or other not sensitive buds) feeding is one of the most popular subject here. I have imagined those watts you all are saying about being pushed into those small things called buds. Definitely sounding must be warm in the truest sense of the word.

Even a resistor dissipating, say, 0.5W is sufficiently hot to be difficult to touch.
Though our amps are powerful, in reality they are not able to push 14W or 17W into 600Ω drivers. The stated watts is the maximum the amps can output.

The chart below is the maximum capable output power from the A70 Pro. Left column is SE max output. Right column is Balanced max output.
Output power.jpg

Would I dare to even listen to any headgear at those max power levels? No I would not. It is about control and better response / less distortion from the speakers in the headgear.

Ok! 17 Watts balanced from a headphone Amp?!? Could you not simply use a cinch to 4.4mm adapter and use your speaker amp? 😛
I guess it's a real question... For a lot of headphones that would work, no? Most speaker amps have 4 ohms impedance?

Edit: sorry for the redundant double question - see now it had already been answered!
The A70 Pro can also be used as a pre-amp for input to my speaker amp, but I'm only using it for headgear. It could probably drive some high sensitivity 8Ω and 16Ω bookshelf speakers without any problems. Most home entertainment speaker amps can drive loads typically from 4Ω to 16Ω.

Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

Thanks! Bought them during the AE anniversary sale, so should hopefully arrive in April.

That is one beefy and beautiful amplifier there bro... :)

Is that your current favorite amplifier for head gear???

My main use of the A70 Pro is for my Audio-Technica ATH-R70x headphones. They are 470Ω / 99dB and really don't sound right unless driven properly. The A70 Pro was the answer to that part of the equation. People do complain about the fit of the R70x, not liking the "wing" supports or the small ear cup size or both. Fortunately I don't have a problem with either of those things. Before I got them I was concerned about the ear cup size, but my ears fit into the ear cups perfectly. The R70x are very light and the wing supports help make the headphones comfortable to wear. Anyway, of course the amp also does a fantastic job with the Yinman 600 and other earbuds as well.

Like you and some others here, I like me some tube timbre, so I like using the Starving Student II hybrid tube amp I built from a kit for a lot of my listening pleasure.

12173132.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #74,622 of 75,162
Though our amps are powerful, in reality they are not able to push 14W or 17W into 600Ω drivers.
Yes, I absolutely understand all these relations. I just imply it would be more practical to mention max source output voltages in context of such high impedance buds as Yinman 600 are.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #74,623 of 75,162
Yes, I absolutely understand all these relations. I just imply it would be more practical to mention max source output voltages in context of such high impedance buds as Yinman 600 are.
In that case, I calculated max ~10Vrms from SE output and max ~20Vrms from the balanced output of the A70 Pro for the Yinman 600.

output.jpg

Here's the calculation for SE output:
W x Ω = V(squared)
Take the square root of V(squared) = Vrms

.165W x 600Ω = 99
Square root of 99 = 9.9498 Vrms

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #74,624 of 75,162
Like you and some others here, I like me some tube timbre, so I like using the Starving Student II hybrid tube amp I built from a kit for a lot of my listening pleasure.

12173132.jpg
Brilliant! :)

Tube = ooey, gooey, yumminess. :)
In that case, I calculated max ~10Vrms from SE output and max ~20Vrms from the balanced output of the A70 Pro for the Yinman 600.

output.jpg

Here's the calculation for SE output:
W x Ω = V(squared)
Take the square root of V(squared) = Vrms

.165W x 600Ω = 99
Square root of 99 = 9.9498 Vrms
I would argue that your numbers are a bit misrepresented (on the good side) like the Megatron is as well. Either that, or the numbers are not right on my device because these are the specs for 600ohms on the iCan Signature:
VRMSSpecs.PNG

THDSpecs.PNG

Which means that at 600ohms the iCan Sig could push 881.7mW or more if the > (greater than) is accurate.

My point is that if mine is capable of 23V at 600ohms and the amp is claimed to be capable of 1400mW at 16 ohms, then I would argue that yours is probably pushing more than 10V/20V if it is capable of 1700mW.... What I mean is that if either, or both are accurate then like the Megatron, the scale upwards is not linear most likely.

In the end who really cares.... Like you, I could never come close to hitting those numbers in dBSPL... haha I use about a quarter of the dial (on 0 gain) for the Yinman, and I am guessing it is somewhere around 80-90dB (though not measured).

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #74,625 of 75,162
Brilliant! :)

Tube = ooey, gooey, yumminess. :)

I would argue that your numbers are a bit misrepresented (on the good side) like the Megatron is as well. Either that, or the numbers are not right on my device because these are the specs for 600ohms on the iCan Signature:
VRMSSpecs.PNG
THDSpecs.PNG
Which means that at 600ohms the iCan Sig could push 881.7mW or more if the > (greater than) is accurate.

My point is that if mine is capable of 23V at 600ohms and the amp is claimed to be capable of 1400mW at 16 ohms, then I would argue that yours is probably pushing more than 10V/20V if it is capable of 1700mW.... What I mean is that if either, or both are accurate then like the Megatron, the scale upwards is not linear most likely.

In the end who really cares.... Like you, I could never come close to hitting those numbers in dBSPL... haha I use about a quarter of the dial (on 0 gain) for the Yinman, and I am guessing it is somewhere around 80-90dB (though not measured).
Yeah, it's really a bit of a numbers game, but like you said, who cares at those power levels. Both amps will drive anything we would care to throw at them.
The A70 Pro Tech Specs is in the spoiler for what it's worth.

A70 Pro 23.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back