Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #73,803 of 75,563
I like wrapping mine in neat round nests and storing them in Ferrero Rocher cases lol. I also roll my most-used pairs and hang them on my mic stand for easy access without any problem.
IMG_20231202_065423.jpg
As for cable becoming stiff, there's nothing as far as I know of avoiding them other than changing the cable. But you can prolong the time before they become stiff by regularly cleaning or wiping them after use.
I love Rochers! So next box I get I'm gonna try what you've done. Maybe power of the Rocher essence might keep everything nice and loose. 😊

And that's too bad about the cable getting stiff. I have a 16 core Tripowin cable on a pair of iem's, that I don't use months at a time. But when I do bring them out of their case, the cable unwraps and is just as soft as when I first got it. Samething with my Monk Plus. I get why a 16 core one wouldn't go stiff, but a cheap ribbon type cable on some cheap earbuds, I don't know how those stay nice and loose.

Thanks for your input. And you have a nice looking collection.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #73,804 of 75,563
Can anyone tell me how to use the OP? It's just photos and text lists of the products in them.

Thanks.
It's just names and simple pictures of the earbuds for reference, many of which aren't even available new or used anymore. It's too bad the original poster has vowed to stay away from this thread after there was some fallout.

What's the differences between k's lbb and the new temperament x6?
If you reviewed this thread several pages back you would have seen my post.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #73,805 of 75,563
It's just names and simple pictures of the earbuds for reference, many of which aren't even available new or used anymore. It's too bad the original poster has vowed to stay away from this thread after there was some fallout.

After re-reading your post about the two, I'm definitely gonna go with the x6 over the llbs. I've found out from the Nicehck Traceless, that I do like bass in a flat. And the Traceless is somewhat v shaped. It's not super boomy bass(thankfully, not a bass head) but definitely enough there that makes listening to it fun. Making me like the Traceless more than the yincrow x-6 right now.

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #73,807 of 75,563
I got a couple of the 130 ohm beryl drivers in, so I tried putting them in the metal and clear mx500 shells I have. I prefer the metal so far.

They sound pretty awesome out of the box. If I'm comparing to the 300 ohm pet drivers I've used so far, they lack a bit of the impact, but they also don't have some of the problematic high frequencies of the 300 pet that I found difficult to tame.

PXL_20240202_012101241.MP.jpg

Here are the metal shells. The only difference from stock is that I have 2 awkwardly placed holes in the shell around 6 o'clock, that I had experimented with the 300ohm pet drivers with. These are basically soundstage monsters, and sound comfortable to boot. I'll experiment more on tuning later.

Here are the holes I mentioned.

PXL_20240202_012212225.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #73,808 of 75,563
I love Rochers! So next box I get I'm gonna try what you've done. Maybe power of the Rocher essence might keep everything nice and loose. 😊

And that's too bad about the cable getting stiff. I have a 16 core Tripowin cable on a pair of iem's, that I don't use months at a time. But when I do bring them out of their case, the cable unwraps and is just as soft as when I first got it. Samething with my Monk Plus. I get why a 16 core one wouldn't go stiff, but a cheap ribbon type cable on some cheap earbuds, I don't know how those stay nice and loose.

Thanks for your input. And you have a nice looking collection.
Yeah, I was going to mention that. Cheaper cables tend to stiffen faster than pricier cables due to the quality of their outer jacket because of multiple factors like age degradation and environmental factors like how frequently you use them and how much oil and liquid they absorb throughout. Even my pricier cables become stiff and sticky over time even with proper care. That's why I tend to buy cheaper cables nowadays lol.
I got a couple of the 130 ohm beryl drivers in, so I tried putting them in the metal and clear mx500 shells I have. I prefer the metal so far.

They sound pretty awesome out of the box. If I'm comparing to the 300 ohm pet drivers I've used so far, they lack a bit of the impact, but they also don't have some of the problematic high frequencies of the 300 pet that I found difficult to tame.

Here are the metal shells. The only difference from stock is that I have 2 awkwardly placed holes in the shell around 6 o'clock, that I had experimented with the 300 pet drivers with. They are basically soundstage monsters, and sound comfortable to boot. I'll experiment more on tuning later.

Nice! Congrats on your new DIY shiny!:beerchug:

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #73,809 of 75,563

Here are the metal shells. The only difference from stock is that I have 2 awkwardly placed holes in the shell around 6 o'clock, that I had experimented with the 300ohm pet drivers with. These are basically soundstage monsters, and sound comfortable to boot. I'll experiment more on tuning later.

Wow, wasn't expecting you to mod the shells. Removing the tuning paper on the driver would have toned down the high end. I really don't know what the black paper density is, but if I wanted to add some of the high end sparkle back I'd start with the thinnest Y2 paper which I think is less dense than the black paper. Listening to them without a tuning paper, sounds nice, though YMMV.

300 PET tuning paper removed.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #73,810 of 75,563
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #73,811 of 75,563
Got my TGXear Red Serratus today, trying them out. Driving them from my WM1A, they get sufficiently loud on high gain at 65/120 volume, which is plenty of room.

First impressions with sound - these are literally Beyerdynamic DT series in earbud form! The detail retrieval and separation are impressive, finally competitive with my big headphones. Extension on both ends is impressive. I do have to EQ down 2-4-8 kHz pretty substantially still just as with every single other earbud. FWIW the EQ dip for these needed is much shallower compared to Fiio FF5 / Yincrow, but it also extends higher up.

Soundstage is a lot of fun, bigger than my Grados lol, although imaging can have some pretty abrupt feeling transitions when going from left to right

Overall, these will probably be my earbud endgame for a long while (although I will also try out some Rikubuds).

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #73,812 of 75,563
Dang, it looks like Fiio isn't going to release any earbuds for 2024:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...e-from-fiio-james.971426/page-6#post-17948904

I kind of agree with Fiio on this one; it also helps curb excess consumerism and ensures quality over quantity. There's only so much that can be done with earbuds as a form factor. Earbud drivers, dynamic drivers in general have pretty much matured, and innovation has slowed down. Unless Fiio figures out a way to make Planar or other drivers work inside of earbuds, it's going to stay that way🤷‍♀️. Brands like Smabat with their modular set-up is a very interesting concept, but their tuning is something left to be desired lol.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #73,813 of 75,563

I have read that but for someone who already have Ks LBBS is it worth it to get the X6 in your opinion? Is the noticable difference only in the bass? How about the feeling of grandness or the illusion of soundstage?

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #73,814 of 75,563
Wow, wasn't expecting you to mod the shells. Removing the tuning paper on the driver would have toned down the high end. I really don't know what the black paper density is, but if I wanted to add some of the high end sparkle back I'd start with the thinnest Y2 paper which I think is less dense than the black paper. Listening to them without a tuning paper, sounds nice, though YMMV.

300 PET tuning paper removed.jpg
Thanks for the tip!

I had a few of the metal shells, so I was thinking that if I preferred turning the voice coil up so that it was under the top holes, why not just make holes in the bottom instead? If it didn't work (it kinda didn't), I could just use another shell.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #73,815 of 75,563
Got my TGXear Red Serratus today, trying them out. Driving them from my WM1A, they get sufficiently loud on high gain at 65/120 volume, which is plenty of room.

First impressions with sound - these are literally Beyerdynamic DT series in earbud form! The detail retrieval and separation are impressive, finally competitive with my big headphones. Extension on both ends is impressive. I do have to EQ down 2-4-8 kHz pretty substantially still just as with every single other earbud. FWIW the EQ dip for these needed is much shallower compared to Fiio FF5 / Yincrow, but it also extends higher up.

Soundstage is a lot of fun, bigger than my Grados lol, although imaging can have some pretty abrupt feeling transitions when going from left to right

Overall, these will probably be my earbud endgame for a long while (although I will also try out some Rikubuds).
Wow. That good huh? If they have a bigger soundstage than a grado then I gotta try

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back