Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #73,816 of 75,541
I have read that but for someone who already have Ks LBBS is it worth it to get the X6 in your opinion? Is the noticable difference only in the bass? How about the feeling of grandness or the illusion of soundstage?
First let me say that I used the foams supplied with the Temperament X6 on both LLBS and X6 for my listening comparisons. That is one less variable to throw off any impressions.

The 2 sets have similar traits (timbre and technicalities (aka, house sound)), but they also differ from each other as well. To my ears, LBBS has a mid-bass / mid-range / treble focus. Because of that, there's good instrument separation and some sparkle is prevalent. The X6 (Temperament) has a richer, fuller sound because of bass presence while not losing much in the mids and treble compared to LBBS. While the X6 may not have as good of instrument separation as the LBBS and the sparkle is a little subdued (but still present) due to the bass, their sound has a better overall balance.

Grandness goes to the X6 (due to better bass for a richer, fuller sound)
Soundstage is similar, but instrument separation stands out more on the LBBS (due to mids / treble focus).

Temperament is labeling the X6 as "Model BELL-LBS" on the box, so you would think they would be tuned to sound the same as the LBS / LBBS, but from what I'm hearing they are not tuned the same. I actually like both of them for their differences and I already mentioned that I'll most likely get a set of the Temperament X3 (Onmyoji version) during the next major AE sale.

Hope that helps.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #73,817 of 75,541
Another build using 150 ohm BG drivers.
IMG_20240121_091212257.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #73,818 of 75,541
First let me say that I used the foams supplied with the Temperament X6 on both LLBS and X6 for my listening comparisons. That is one less variable to throw off any impressions.

The 2 sets have similar traits (timbre and technicalities (aka, house sound)), but they also differ from each other as well. To my ears, LBBS has a mid-bass / mid-range / treble focus. Because of that, there's good instrument separation and some sparkle is prevalent. The X6 (Temperament) has a richer, fuller sound because of bass presence while not losing much in the mids and treble compared to LBBS. While the X6 may not have as good of instrument separation as the LBBS and the sparkle is a little subdued (but still present) due to the bass, their sound has a better overall balance.

Grandness goes to the X6 (due to better bass for a richer, fuller sound)
Soundstage is similar, but instrument separation stands out more on the LBBS (due to mids / treble focus).

Temperament is labeling the X6 as "Model BELL-LBS" on the box, so you would think they would be tuned to sound the same as the LBS / LBBS, but from what I'm hearing they are not tuned the same. I actually like both of them for their differences and I already mentioned that I'll most likely get a set of the Temperament X3 (Onmyoji version) during the next major AE sale.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! Very helpful. I'm inclined to get them now lol

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #73,819 of 75,541
The Nicehck EB2S is now currently $14. Which it was first $25, then $20. I don't know if they good or not. The opinions in the thread varies

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNyuftC

Edit: I am desperately trying to not pull the trigger on these as I'm saving for the Temperament x6. I think the EB2S will just be a side-grade, not an actual upgrade to what I currently have

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #73,820 of 75,541
Anyone here heard the new shiny metallic stuff from Venture Electronics? The Master, V2S, Monk SM Slim Metal? I already have the original Monk and used to own the Zen 2.0 so I'm curious how these compare. Also want to try the Fiio FF5 and Dunu Alpha 3.

This thread may better get the attention of people that would have one or more of these. I didn't happen to own any of those, unfortunately.

When you say "original Monk" do you mean the Monk Plus? And if so, how recently did you get it? Monk Plus is currently on its fifth revision, although the difference from 4 to 5 is a custom VE logo shell.

I ask because the Monk V2S is designed to be as similar as possible to the Monk Plus before they switched to the current 64 ohm drivers. And as far as I know, the V2S only have silvery plastic shells, not metal.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #73,822 of 75,541
Feb 4, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #73,823 of 75,541
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #73,824 of 75,541
Wow. That good huh? If they have a bigger soundstage than a grado then I gotta try

Grados with stock pads (I have SR80x) don't have that big of a soundstage as far as open backs go, so the bar is not as high as it might seem. By the proper headphone standards, I'd say the soundstage of Serratus is around just average or a bit above average. I will say that with Serratus I sometimes forget completely that I am wearing earbuds - the music is just kind of there filling my room. No other in-ear I've tried can come close.

I will also say that Serratus is the only earbud in my collection which sounds _worse_ when pushing with fingers flush against my ear canals, compared to the natural fit. Every other earbud I have sounds better and more full if I push it towards the ear canal, but loses out when in natural position. This confirms to me think that TGX's tuning is specifically intended for the natural position of the earbuds, which is awesome. More manufacturers should tune this way.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #73,826 of 75,541
1000020248.jpg
Just got my RW-2000 today and my Rider 1 is in the mail. Between those and the fact that I should be able to set up to do some soldering soon, I should be set for a while. At least as long as there's no big, impossible to resist sale.
I have found RW-2000 (as well RW-3000) sub-bass level (and, well, just sub-bass existence) noticeably depends on source output impedance. That it I guess it's great idea to try to keep (source output impedance + cable resistance) below, say, 1 Ohm. It isn't very important for classical and jazz music, but if your also like some electronic music, it will get some sense.

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #73,828 of 75,541
Has anyone used the TRN BT20 with the MMCX RY4S? If so how's the fit? I'm a bit cautious of earbuds poking upwards. This is for a friend who can't wear traditional IEMs.
I don't have those BT earhooks, but I think the BT20 and MMCX RY4S with full length stems + extra extension of the mmcx sticking out of the end of the stem will be a very bad fit. You probably need to look for something much shorter for a comfortable fit.

Here's an example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805257965170.html
I have no idea what those buds sound like, it's just an example of some buds that will be a better fit.
Scb87e13cd6414af891bb6c0081b5dd9b7.jpg

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #73,829 of 75,541
1000020248.jpg
Just got my RW-2000 today and my Rider 1 is in the mail. Between those and the fact that I should be able to set up to do some soldering soon, I should be set for a while. At least as long as there's no big, impossible to resist sale.
Congrats on getting your new RW-2000!

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #73,830 of 75,541
This thread may better get the attention of people that would have one or more of these. I didn't happen to own any of those, unfortunately.

When you say "original Monk" do you mean the Monk Plus? And if so, how recently did you get it? Monk Plus is currently on its fifth revision, although the difference from 4 to 5 is a custom VE logo shell.

I ask because the Monk V2S is designed to be as similar as possible to the Monk Plus before they switched to the current 64 ohm drivers. And as far as I know, the V2S only have silvery plastic shells, not metal.
Thanks for the link to the thread. I'll ask there as well.
Yes I did mean the Monk Plus. I used to have the smoke version, but that broke on me so I'm using what I believe is the Espresso version VE used to make (it came free with my Zen 2.0), except it doesn't have the fancy white and brown cable you see in reviews of this version.

IMG_1960.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back