Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #73,426 of 75,250
I compared for a little while, not very long, and found that they actually have similar air but the treble peak on Serratus is very distracting for me. It definitely colours things and for little benefit. Even on my warm and forgiving source things are overly sharp. Credit where it is due, the Serratus has a better low end, extending deeper and generally more full and expansive.

@fordgtlover if you enjoy Serratus I would stick with that! Especially given TGXear generally tunes with less pinna gain than Fran and that lies around your area of sensitivity.
Great insight. Despite normally being a bit sensitive to treble I don't find the Serratus to be unpleasant. Most of my IEMs have much less treble so less treble is probably fine. It's a bit interesting. I am finding treble on IEMs and earbuds hits a bit differently. It's quite conceivable that I might actually prefer a different style of tuning between the two. A journey of discovery :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #73,427 of 75,250
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #73,428 of 75,250
To this day I have not shared the Bluemoon tuning with anyone, but it is true that for me they are the best treble that exists (IMO of course)

In the end it's about doing DIY to find settings that suit your personal tastes, in my case that's all, what does TGX do to get the treble in its serratus? Well, I don't know, but the question should be, what would you do so that that driver in that shell has the treble that you want?

It is clear that to achieve this there is only one recipe, try, try, try and try things, the things that you think are going to work, with experience you will have an idea of the basic path to follow, and then you will have to refine and refine until the result. be the desired one. It is important to be realistic, the driver has its own characteristics that will never change, if I don't like a driver... well, I don't expect miracles there.

my new ibis, personal unit

20231216_232706.jpg
Indeed - the essence of DIY; the ability to customise to your own preferences.

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #73,429 of 75,250
Dec 31, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #73,430 of 75,250
Thank you Bro, I had fun building this set which turned out both very nice in looks and sound. Why 130 Bery? Because the Bery drivers (130, 500 and 600) that I've played with are some of the absolute best DIY drivers and I wanted to build a metal shell 130, which turned out to be a great success. I did buy their Huayunxin blue 80Ω LCP driver and will play with it in the future.

That darker pic was my "glamour" shot... Here's Ariana playing in the light.

You made me order the two shells from Huayunxin.
Add the 120 ohm beryllium composite driver to that list, which by the way is perfect in the metal shell.😉

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #73,431 of 75,250
Yes. When you place the order you can leave an order message. If you can't figure out how to do that, after placing the order, go to the message center and you'll see your order. Just write a message requesting 4.4mm balanced plug. They will probably write back and say something like only 4.4mm black version is available... just reply that is ok and you're set.
placed the order and message them. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #73,432 of 75,250
I'm one of your friends right?🥺 haha

Yeah, that's why I've stopped asking @FranQL about his earbuds in here. While I'm very interested in getting one, I totally respect his decision. I don't want to be an annoyance to him; he's already getting overwhelming requests for his earbuds, and I don't want to add to that.

I 💯 agree with that. The 130, 500, and 600 ohm beryllium are the best DIY drivers I've tried, and I think a lot of people in here share the same response. That earbud is absolutely stunning. The shell design reminds me of the Spirit Torino IEM Twin Pulse Beryllium. Which is a funny coincidence because you're also using a beryllium driver for that lol.IMG_20231231_160827.jpg
That is one industrial looking IEM. Just put a dab of grease on that gear like end piece and they got that machine tool / grunge look going for them.

I thought the exact same thought BUT @mt877 buds are much more attractive! Beautiful build! 😍
Thanks! Those shells are complete by themselves, but I didn't want to display their company logo / branding, so I covered it with a nice looking end cap. It took some time to find the perfect end cap, but the result was worth it.
1704039531199.png
Versus
12252680.jpg

A masterpiece! and I'm sure they sound even better!!!! I love them!!!! congratulations!!!!!
Thanks! Yes, they sound excellent.

You made me order the two shells from Huayunxin.
Add the 120 ohm beryllium composite driver to that list, which by the way is perfect in the metal shell.😉
LOL, I know you'll have excellent results with those shells, I like the side venting. I have a couple 120Ω Bery composite drivers, but haven't played with them yet.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #73,433 of 75,250
That is one industrial looking IEM. Just put a dab of grease on that gear like end piece and they got that machine tool / grunge look going for them.

Thanks! Those shells are complete by themselves, but I didn't want to display their company logo / branding, so I covered it with a nice looking end cap. It took some time to find the perfect end cap, but the result was worth it.
Versus
12252680.jpg

Thanks! Yes, they sound excellent.

LOL, I know you'll have excellent results with those shells, I like the side venting. I have a couple 120Ω Bery composite drivers, but haven't played with them yet.
My 130 bery20231231_191657.jpg20231224_121442.jpg
Happy New Year guys!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #73,435 of 75,250
I prefer RW-2000 over RW-3000. It is possible, you will prefer RW-3000 over RW-4000, who knows...
Who knows indeed, because I don’t expect to get the 2000s or 4000s any time soon.
Nice! Congrats on your new buds. Hope you bought them during the recent sales... if you did, at least you didn't pay the TOTL price.

Got them in a trade so I’m good on price lol. Haven’t had much time with them yet to get a grip on their sound.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #73,438 of 75,250
Finally was able to get the replacement mats (and some time) and put together your MMCX Metal Shell with 300Ω PET driver build, @mt877 !

Well it's just following a recipe, but it took learning some skills, so I'm pretty happy with it, and it's a good first step. :)

original_5640d2f3-e533-4d3b-99dc-a7b493648fff_PXL_20240101_034127605.jpg

As for the result, it sounds fantastic. The dynamics, detail, and weight in the upper mids really standout in this bud, I think. I felt the lower mids and midbass were lacking a bit at first, but thicker (Heigi) foams helped with this a lot. Anyways I'm really enjoying listening to them!

My best surprise with these was how well they play fast guitar. First found this when I tried playing Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce. They play that song better than any of my other buds, IMO.

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #73,440 of 75,250
Finally was able to get the replacement mats (and some time) and put together your MMCX Metal Shell with 300Ω PET driver build, @mt877 !

Well it's just following a recipe, but it took learning some skills, so I'm pretty happy with it, and it's a good first step. :)

original_5640d2f3-e533-4d3b-99dc-a7b493648fff_PXL_20240101_034127605.jpg

As for the result, it sounds fantastic. The dynamics, detail, and weight in the upper mids really standout in this bud, I think. I felt the lower mids and midbass were lacking a bit at first, but thicker (Heigi) foams helped with this a lot. Anyways I'm really enjoying listening to them!

My best surprise with these was how well they play fast guitar. First found this when I tried playing Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce. They play that song better than any of my other buds, IMO.

DIY starts with building knowledge and skills. Congratulations, you should be proud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back