Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #73,081 of 75,377
I have a lot of great Buds in my collection. But I have to say the VE APWS has the best timbre out of all of them. It’s not an all rounder bud but the timbre of acoustic instruments and female vocals is unmatched by any of my other sets!

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #73,082 of 75,377
I will let you know if the RS6 makes the RW3000 better sounding or not.
Ok, I ABed about 10 songs and I think there is no SQ improvement pairing with a lower impedance souce here. In fact, the sound is less focused and less impactful playing back with the RS6 vs the M15s. Also, the stock cable still sounds equally weak, basically totally lack of impact, with very weak bass and sets the scene a little further from the ears compared to other reasonably thick cables. The very weak impact is very obvious here. Just my personal preference and opinions and in this case, I think the benefit of impedance matching is shadowed by other factors. Bottom line is it is definitely not a bad pair of buds at all it is just that I prefer a different tuning.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #73,083 of 75,377
Dec 4, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #73,084 of 75,377
It is great. Do you mean blind ABX? Have you saw your assistant? Have your set exactly the same output levels with multimeter? Has your assistant kept silent?
No, never heard of ABX. Have you ever conducted this ABX thing or any ABing session with an assistant? Or simply comparing two different earphones with an assistant because it is less biased and you probably can't trust your own hearing?

I think if one person or more precisely an audiophile is not able to hear the sonic difference between two DAPs they should stop acquiring new gears. I don't think it is the best way to measure the output level with a multimeter so I have an IEC coupler to measure the loudness in dB and luckily I have this fake ear for my rig.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17840581

To make ABing less bias, my subjective opinion is that one should note down (in his brain) the distictive cues he hears in some tracks with one setup and let that accumulate, strong enough to make it like an emotion, an annoyance or a joyfulness, and compare to the emotion he feels with another setup.
By the way, this is interesting weekend reading
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-we-hear.html?m=1
Great, but I would treat a random person's opinions subjective and biased any day, just like you should treat my opinions subjetive as well.

Anyway, good day.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #73,085 of 75,377
Have you ever conducted this ABX thing or any ABing session with an assistant?
Yes, both as conductor and participant. The most great result is few ABX-ing - they instill immunity for years. You always ask yourself: am I able to prove <some thesis> with ABXing? It is very interesting - and useful to my taste - effect.
can't trust your own hearing
Nobody can. The same for eyes, for example.
I don't think it is the best way to measure the output level with a multimeter so I have an IEC coupler to measure the loudness in dB and luckily I have this fake ear for my rig.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17840581
Yes, I also have got artificial ear. But for the case we compare sources multimeter is better, I guess.
let that accumulate, strong enough
Absolutely. Long running integration tests (or just listening emotions) - as well as any subjective preferences (say, DAP look) - win. Emotions are stronger than mind. I don't say ABXing must be the only way to make some equipment using decisions. It is just one of the multiple sides of the game we play here where music, buds, sources, discussions (and plenty of others) are intertwined. It is just a very exciting tool helping - sometimes - to shorten a way to endgame (or not).
Great, but I would treat a random person's opinions subjective and biased any day, just like you should treat my opinions subjetive as well.
It is just inspiring introduction. If you want facts, then neurobiology is the way.

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #73,086 of 75,377
I have a lot of great Buds in my collection. But I have to say the VE APWS has the best timbre out of all of them. It’s not an all rounder bud but the timbre of acoustic instruments and female vocals is unmatched by any of my other sets!
For me too the APWS is as good as you feel.
Otherwise, the CAX Susvara, with its chiselled treble and excellent bass, seems more tonic but gives me a kind of hearing reset, and I appreciate this on cool jazz or chamber classical music, and I don't know how to put it in second position (maybe it's due to the LP sound...).

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #73,088 of 75,377
Just saw some stuff coming up from you guys, love the work being put into the earbud community here :jecklinsmile:
You guys are cooking some awesome stuff!
Totally agree. Earbuds are new to me - you guys are a very welcoming group of people - friendly and helpful! Lots of great infos and tipps coming in all the time. That could very well turn my interest in earbuds into a real hobby... 😊👍

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #73,089 of 75,377
Totally agree. Earbuds are new to me - you guys are a very welcoming group of people - friendly and helpful! Lots of great infos and tipps coming in all the time. That could very well turn my interest in earbuds into a real hobby... 😊👍
I also have got the same feeling: the thread also proves it is possible to be very different and friendly at the same time. Thanks to all old-timers of this thread.

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #73,090 of 75,377
Question for FiiO FF3 users - Have you noticed whether the metal cover plate on the "back" of the FF3 earbuds is glued-on, or just held on by the driver magnet?
I dropped my left earbud from 4" - 5" onto my desk, and the back plate popped off.
When I put it back in place, it seemed as though it was "sucked-in" by the magnet - and gentle prying with my fingernail didn't pop it loose again, to allow rotating into the "proper" orientation.

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #73,091 of 75,377
Just saw some stuff coming up from you guys, love the work being put into the earbud community here :jecklinsmile:
You guys are cooking some awesome stuff!
I also have got the same feeling: the thread also proves it is possible to be very different and friendly at the same time. Thanks to all old-timers of this thread.
I was uncertain about joining here at first because this community seems very tight-knit, and I'm afraid of not fitting in, but that wasn't the case because they're all very welcoming and nice. So even though I'm pretty new here, I try to contribute as much as I can as a way of showing my gratitude. 😄

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #73,092 of 75,377
Question for FiiO FF3 users - Have you noticed whether the metal cover plate on the "back" of the FF3 earbuds is glued-on, or just held on by the driver magnet?
I dropped my left earbud from 4" - 5" onto my desk, and the back plate popped off.
When I put it back in place, it seemed as though it was "sucked-in" by the magnet - and gentle prying with my fingernail didn't pop it loose again, to allow rotating into the "proper" orientation.
Idk, I haven't had that happen to me, but you can try using very sticky tape or use those suction cup thingies (if they fit) to pull the backplate out again or reorientate them.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #73,093 of 75,377
Do you remember seeing any kind of adhesive on the shell or the back of the cover plate? It would have been great if you took a picture while the cover plate was off. Maybe it wasn't anything significant to see, just two flat surfaces.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #73,094 of 75,377
Do you remember seeing any kind of adhesive on the shell or the back of the cover plate? It would have been great if you took a picture while the cover plate was off. Maybe it wasn't anything significant to see, just two flat surfaces.

The back cover of the FF3 is slightly curved, outward.
I had to use some Kapton tape to pull the back loose. It appears to have been glued on - so I'll have to clean it up a bit, and then re-glue it.
edited_DSC-231204_173100.jpg

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #73,095 of 75,377
The back cover of the FF3 is slightly curved, outward.
I had to use some Kapton tape to pull the back loose. It appears to have been glued on - so I'll have to clean it up a bit, and then re-glue it.
Nice! That sure matches the bass-enhancing acoustic chamber in the FiiO brochure.

FiiO didn't hide anything, it's all in plain site for all to see.

1701734922946.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back