Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 24, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #69,407 of 75,543
Have been listening to Vidos recently, and for under 5 bucks? Damn do they impress. I have been considering an upgrade however, something under 30USD with a more neutral tonality, or anything similar (i.e. analytical), do any of y'all have suggestions? I've been leaning towards the EB2S and the LBBs(which I'm aware is above 30USD, but they seem to be really well received), but I'm open to suggestions of other sets.

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #69,408 of 75,543
Do you think they changed the former driver(red dot)?
You're talking about the original Cat Mimi driver, right?
That being said, the Cat Mimi Pro sounds like the original Cat Mimi, except for the clear treble...

The shell of Cat Mimi Pro has almost no catch on the driver, so I can't open it and check the driver actually used...

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #69,409 of 75,543
Have been listening to Vidos recently, and for under 5 bucks? Damn do they impress. I have been considering an upgrade however, something under 30USD with a more neutral tonality, or anything similar (i.e. analytical), do any of y'all have suggestions? I've been leaning towards the EB2S and the LBBs(which I'm aware is above 30USD, but they seem to be really well received), but I'm open to suggestions of other sets.

There's some crazy dude who seems to pop up on this thread every couple of days to answer one of these posts by saying he recommends the NSC Audio 80ohm LCP driver buds (I'll include a link below). That guy is a real nutcase, but the buds are pretty damn good. Well balanced, good extension on both ends, they sound pretty open and detailed, and they're well made. He seems to think they might be the best you can get for that kinda money.

As I said, he's crazy, but I think he's pretty much right on this one. 😜

Link (you want the 80ohm LCP driver version and not the 32ohm Ti version):

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrL9CGC

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #69,410 of 75,543
Wow, so I put rubber donuts on the Yinman 2.0 600s, talk about supreme comfort (rubber donut + full foam). With the combination of the wooden shell (light AF) and the rubber, I am getting a better seal and the bass has improved thankfully. I still need to burn it in some more, but I am very satistifed with the subbass extension! These are incredible earbuds and I highly recommend them (as long as you can power them)!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #69,411 of 75,543
There's some crazy dude who seems to pop up on this thread every couple of days to answer one of these posts by saying he recommends the NSC Audio 80ohm LCP driver buds (I'll include a link below). That guy is a real nutcase, but the buds are pretty damn good. Well balanced, good extension on both ends, they sound pretty open and detailed, and they're well made. He seems to think they might be the best you can get for that kinda money.

I would say that the LCP 80 ohms are initially impressive, but they can be picked apart pretty fast. They're difficult to critique, because they have no outright fault, yet have so much room for improvement. For instance, if I were to say that they were sibilant, I would be wrong, as they have decently good treble control not seen at this price. Playing normally sibilant tracks shows that sibilance is controlled, unlike many other earbuds at this pricepoint. Yet, simultaneously, the lower/mid treble area definitely has some sort of spike that makes the treble sound.....like paper, for lack of a better word. Like I can "rip" apart the sound, exacerbated by the decay which is a bit fast overall.

Bass is also lacking quite a bit. Midrange timbre needs work, as they sound glarey (not helped by the lower treble spike mentioned above), and "honkey". More midbass would help the entire sound signature, but not fix it. Soundstage is again decent, quite wide, but imaging is not that great.

Overall, I would say these are an "unbalanced" allrounder that are passable due to their price. If someone wants to hear decent/good treble control on earbuds that is difficult to obtain at this price point, they are a good buy. But there are a lot of areas in the frequency response that can be improved.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #69,412 of 75,543
I would say that the LCP 80 ohms are initially impressive, but they can be picked apart pretty fast. They're difficult to critique, because they have no outright fault, yet have so much room for improvement. For instance, if I were to say that they were sibilant, I would be wrong, as they have decently good treble control not seen at this price. Playing normally sibilant tracks shows that sibilance is controlled, unlike many other earbuds at this pricepoint. Yet, simultaneously, the lower/mid treble area definitely has some sort of spike that makes the treble sound.....like paper, for lack of a better word. Like I can "rip" apart the sound, exacerbated by the decay which is a bit fast overall.

Bass is also lacking quite a bit. Midrange timbre needs work, as they sound glarey (not helped by the lower treble spike mentioned above), and "honkey". More midbass would help the entire sound signature, but not fix it. Soundstage is again decent, quite wide, but imaging is not that great.

Overall, I would say these are an "unbalanced" allrounder that are passable due to their price. If someone wants to hear decent/good treble control on earbuds that is difficult to obtain at this price point, they are a good buy. But there are a lot of areas in the frequency response that can be improved.

Hmm...I agree with a lot of what you said, but disagree with much of it as well. Also, show me a bud available for that cash that I can't "pick apart" and I'll show you a rich bud maker. The NSC 80s certainly have plenty of room for improvement and there are many, many buds that are better, but if you look at the complete package they are the best I have found for their price. That's just my opinion of course, informed my by ears and having tried a ton of the inexpensive buds people regularly recommend. I also find them to be pretty well balanced, but all our ears are different.

I'm certainly not stopping you from offering the poster I replied to a better alternative for his money. He asked for a recommendation for a bud under $30 and I think that crazy guy who recommends these is on to something. I'm also definitely not insisting that that nutcase is "right" and you are "wrong" because there is no such thing when it comes to opinions in earbuds and audio.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #69,413 of 75,543
Hmm...I agree with a lot of what you said, but disagree with much of it as well. Also, show me a bud available for that cash that I can't "pick apart" and I'll show you a rich bud maker. The NSC 80s certainly have plenty of room for improvement and there are many, many buds that are better, but if you look at the complete package they are the best I have found for their price. That's just my opinion of course, informed my by ears and having tried a ton of the inexpensive buds people regularly recommend. I also find them to be pretty well balanced, but all our ears are different.

I'm certainly not stopping you from offering the poster I replied to a better alternative for his money. He asked for a recommendation for a bud under $30 and I think that crazy guy who recommends these is on to something. I'm also definitely not insisting that that nutcase is "right" and you are "wrong" because there is no such thing when it comes to opinions in earbuds and audio.
I see your point.

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #69,414 of 75,543

Earbuds thread in my country recommended the 32ohm Ti version (not the 80ohm LCP driver version) on the same Link, so I ordered it;

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #69,415 of 75,543
Earbuds thread in my country recommended the 32ohm Ti version (not the 80ohm LCP driver version) on the same Link, so I bought it;
Please let us know how it is once you get it!

The LCP 80ohm exhibit the traits of high end sound, but fall back in many areas, creating an almost jarring effect. In this regard, it's also frustrating to listen to them, haha. If the 32ohm Ti is an overall improvement, then we are truly getting somewhere.

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #69,416 of 75,543
Late to the party I know. Let's see what the fuss is about. Sound is good on first impressions. Love the cable.

PXL_20230424_231441789.jpg

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #69,417 of 75,543

By the way, I think this is raises an interesting question on innovation. The question is, whether

a) Innovation happens naturally, in which case we should be grateful, and not continually criticise, especially for cheap earbuds. Constantly looking for criticisms may also draw away from our enjoyment from them.

b) Innovation happens "the hard way", in which case we should criticise $20 earbuds thoroughly, so that developers are pushed to improve continuously.

An analogy I have is pizza restaurants. On one hand, a local community pizza spot may be frequented and supported in a neighborhood of a small-midsize city. The pizza is good, price is decent, and people know what they are getting. Life goes on.

On the other hand, from what we see, the pizza scene is extremely cutthroat in larger cities like New York, with no better example than Dave Portnoy's reviews on YouTube. Continuous criticism, even for the cheapest of slices, pushes restaurant owners to improve their recipes, contrasting from the neighborhood spots in the former scenario, which may face little to no criticism by the local community.

Now, if you ask me to bet money on which slice the average person would say is better, I would definitely bet my money on a popular New York spot rather than the neighborhood spot.

However, to achieve the perfect New York slice, regular criticism may put a lot of stress on owners, and in fact may put some New York pizza spots out of business rather quickly. Whereas, local patronage of the neighborhood spot encourages owners to work hard and serve the community, even if the pizza isn't perfect.

@JAnonymous5150 , I know this discussion may not directly apply to our initial discussion above on the LCP 80ohm. In fact, you were just making a suggestion and helping a user out (and pointing out another crazy guy, with craziness warranted or not). But overall, with earbuds being so much cheaper than iems, should they be scrutinised heavily, or should we just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #69,418 of 75,543
Earbuds thread in my country recommended the 32ohm Ti version (not the 80ohm LCP driver version) on the same Link, so I bought it;

I have the 32Ti version as well and it's a pretty good pair for the money too. I just find the 80 LCP to be a bit more refined, a bit bigger sounding, smoother up top, with better punch and articulation down low. I think the 32 Tis are worth the money they charge for them, though.

Edit: BTW, make sure you let me/us know what you think of the 32Ti. I for one would be interested to know.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #69,419 of 75,543
By the way, I think this is raises an interesting question on innovation. The question is, whether

a) Innovation happens naturally, in which case we should be grateful, and not continually criticise, especially for cheap earbuds. Constantly looking for criticisms may also draw away from our enjoyment from them.

b) Innovation happens "the hard way", in which case we should criticise $20 earbuds thoroughly, so that developers are pushed to improve continuously.

An analogy I have is pizza restaurants. On one hand, a local community pizza spot may be frequented and supported in a neighborhood of a small-midsize city. The pizza is good, price is decent, and people know what they are getting. Life goes on.

On the other hand, from what we see, the pizza scene is extremely cutthroat in larger cities like New York, with no better example than Dave Portnoy's reviews on YouTube. Continuous criticism, even for the cheapest of slices, pushes restaurant owners to improve their recipes, contrasting from the neighborhood spots in the former scenario, which may face little to no criticism by the local community.

Now, if you ask me to bet money on which slice the average person would say is better, I would definitely bet my money on a popular New York spot rather than the neighborhood spot.

However, to achieve the perfect New York slice, regular criticism may put a lot of stress on owners, and in fact may put some New York pizza spots out of business rather quickly. Whereas, local patronage of the neighborhood spot encourages owners to work hard and serve the community, even if the pizza isn't perfect.

@JAnonymous5150 , I know this discussion may not directly apply to our initial discussion above on the LCP 80ohm. In fact, you were just making a suggestion and helping some guy out (and pointing out another crazy guy, with craziness warranted or not). But overall, with earbuds being so much cheaper than iems, should they be scrutinised heavily, or should we just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music?

I absolutely get your point and I get where you're coming from. That criticism makes sense and I hope it does drive bud makers to improve. The only reason I defended the 80 LCPs was because the guy was looking for some sub $30 buds and they are the best I know of the he can buy today. That's all. So in the context of his question it made sense for me to recommend them and defend the recommendation lest he walk away thinking it was a rec he should disregard.

Also, the crazy guy thing was just a joke for everyone who has seen me rec those buds about three times a week for the last few months when somebody asks for a cheap buds rec. Unless they ask for something basshead or whatever, the NSC 80s are my go to rec for cheap, good, premade buds. Late spoiler alert: I'm the crazy guy I was referring to in those posts. Sorry I know it's not a great joke for people that aren't on this thread all the time. 🤷‍♂️😂

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #69,420 of 75,543
BTW, I broke out the @FranQL Blue Voodoo 600s that my hermano de un otro madre made and that dude can make some top shelf buds. He can be modest all he wants, but these buds just sound flat out good with every genre I throw at them. I'll spend a few weeks rotating through other buds and every time I make may way back to these through the rotation my first reaction is always one of two things depending on the music: 1) If the music I play has a good bassline I always think ,"Damn he nailed the linear bass extension on these. No mid bass hump to swamp the mids or overshadow the nice sub bass rumble." Or 2) If the music has good dynamic range like what I'm currently listening to, "Man, Fran packed a lot of big macro and microdynamic prowess into these little buds and all without unnaturally boosting any part of the FR or losing the low level detail in the process."

Not only can the man make buds, but he has a good ear, and is one of the nicest and most genuine guys you'll ever meet. Thanks again for these buds and for being my friend, hermano! You're the man! 🤝😎

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back