Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 25, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #69,437 of 75,861
Venture Electronics, one if not the best for me.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #69,438 of 75,861
Having said that, I just want to remind people that aren't too familiar with @FranQL not to PM the crap out of him requesting he make you a set. He doesn't sell his creations so please don't ask. He only does it for the pure joy of giving joy to others (and he REALLY does get joy out of it). If you want to purchase a set, there are MANY (other) good great makers that will be happy to do that for you. Or, better yet, learn from some of these masters and make your own. We would all love to hear about your journey! :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Sigh...I read this a bit too late. @FranQL kindly ignore my message. And I apologize for any inconveniences caused, it was not intended.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #69,439 of 75,861
Could you name some well known makers of DIY buds? The only ones I'm familiar with are TGXEar and Rikubuds, but if there's any other I could look out for, it'll be great if you could tell me
LREY Portable Music and Kobe Audio on facebook

daeil_lee_music on instagram

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #69,440 of 75,861
Explanation of how to make MMCX compatible and correction of link:

You can use wire soldered MMCX connectors M3. Select color: A .
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000541099253.html

You must buy all. (You'll need to drill out a 2.5mm hole.)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000108099039.html

You must use a M3 tap to cut the thread into the hole. Select Color: TiN Coated, Thread Diameter: M3x0.5 and Pitch: 1pc.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32759940634.html

MMCX connectors use an M3 thread, so you'll need to drill out a 2.5mm hole and use a tap set to cut the thread into the hole.
Then you can screw in the MMCX female connector with the wires soldered on.

If you use the MX500 shell, you had better open the bass port at the fake vent.
Drill a bass port on top of the stem of the .MX500 shell.
See Rary's document of "How to open the bass port in MX500 shells" section below.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9Cuqd36LeS5JB7ZuFDAgJbTCm8/edit#gid=417929514

Thanks @assassin10000 for teaching me.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #69,441 of 75,861
BTW, I broke out the @FranQL Blue Voodoo 600s that my hermano de un otro madre made and that dude can make some top shelf buds. He can be modest all he wants, but these buds just sound flat out good with every genre I throw at them. I'll spend a few weeks rotating through other buds and every time I make may way back to these through the rotation my first reaction is always one of two things depending on the music: 1) If the music I play has a good bassline I always think ,"Damn he nailed the linear bass extension on these. No mid bass hump to swamp the mids or overshadow the nice sub bass rumble." Or 2) If the music has good dynamic range like what I'm currently listening to, "Man, Fran packed a lot of big micro and microdynamic prowess into these little buds and all without unnaturally boosting any part of the FR or losing the low level detail in the process."

Not only can the man make buds, but he has a good ear, and is one of the nicest and most genuine guys you'll ever meet. Thanks again for these buds and for being my friend, hermano! You're the man! 🤝😎
Hermano, reading this answer carefully, my mind has only retained that.... you have broken the bud???????

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #69,442 of 75,861
Sigh...I read this a bit too late. @FranQL kindly ignore my message. And I apologize for any inconveniences caused, it was not intended.
Absolutely nothing happens, it doesn't bother me, on the contrary, it makes me happy.
It's just that I do buds as a hobby and I really have no interest in making it a business.

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #69,443 of 75,861
Venture Electronics, one if not the best for me.
Yes, VE APWs is undoubtedly a bud that in my grand scheme of things borders on perfection

By the way, yes, I know that you can use multi-quote, but I have responded quickly and furtively, sorry for so many responses.....

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #69,445 of 75,861
Yes, VE APWs is undoubtedly a bud that in my grand scheme of things borders on perfection

Didn't realise you were also such a fan?

APWS has been the discovery of the year for me (so far). It's probably going to be the most difficult earbud to review for me. It's unique, sometimes 'oddly' unique, but at the same time beautiful in the way it presents vocals and strings.

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #69,447 of 75,861
And this community loves you big guy! 😍😂
This is very true!
I think it's great to play devil's advocate, as it stimulates further thinking. Like playing chess :). While I don't want to steer this thread off track of earbuds, I think it does present an interesting philosophical discussion on innovation. Large enterprises like Tesla in fact need criticism to grow. As you suggest, by contrast, we need to be careful in niche markets like the earbud market. One bad review, even if the content is warranted (depending on how harsh the reviewer is) can have horrible impact on earbud makers - even if that was not the intention.

However, in a sense, I also disagree with the point that I just made above. For me personally, if I faced criticism, I would simply take it as a challenge to work harder. Sure, let's say my first earbud is faced with scathing criticism. But that doesn't stop me from making more. But maybe in practice, I'd crumble up, since I don't know anything about developing audio products :p.
I think that you are right on both accounts (in all honesty). Earbuds have been a niche market since they went out of style with the early generations of iPods and the like. Even then, there weren't really TOO many "boutique" buds. It is my opinion that this is rapidly changing. You COULD look at some of the big companies and say that THEY are going to be responsible for making them mainstream.

I think that most of these companies have failed to do so (not for a lack of trying IMO though). Sennheiser has made some really great buds, DUNU also, and even Moondrop, but it is FiiO that I believe will bring them into the mainstream (and incidentally another price bracket if I had my guess). For one, they are all absolutely fantastic, and another is that FiiO has always been known for being the "affordable audiophile company". When A&K was making a HUGE name for itself, FiiO stepped in and made DAPs that are 90% of an A&K, for 1/16th the price. Of course, things have changed now, and FiiO demands high dollars as well, but you get the point?! :)

If they succeed then I believe the competition will become fierce for having better innovation, better quality, better pricing, and we might stop seeing 20,000,000 junk buds only to have 20 that are good. This, however, is PURE conjecture based on trends and my own twisted logic.
I agree 100% companies won't invest in R&D if they don't see a market in it. Also, the Hook-X are truly special, I even bought both versions which is not very common for me to do. Still prefer the OG but they are both amazing.

I do see a lot of potential in future R&D in earbuds but as it is, we have some amazing sets for all genres! Not to mention a handful of modders who really put passion into their buds.
Oh, you bought both sets? Nice! I don't have the HBB version simply because I am very content with the OG and have no desire to "upgrade" personally... haha The Hook-X are actually in my top three of all time for IEMs for me (the others being the iBasso IT-07, and the Aur Audio Aure; thanks again @FranQL and @Charlyro222 for the rec on the fantastic Aure).

Yes, it has been hard weeding out the crap "copy-cat for less" buds to find the truly amazing ones, but there are indeed some buds out there that would give some kilobuck head gear a run for their money (IMHO). Speaking of which, I have been truly blessed insomuch as I have only bought maybe 2 or 3 sets that were duds for me. All of the others have been pure joy in some way or another (some even more than others).
Could you name some well known makers of DIY buds? The only ones I'm familiar with are TGXEar and Rikubuds, but if there's any other I could look out for, it'll be great if you could tell me
Other than the fantastic recommendations above, you could go to the earbud Discord channel and talk to them, there are a ton of DIYers there also. Follow this link and click on the "Flathead Sancuary" header at the top to show the link (Hint: there is a TON of other useful information on this site as well that you might like to check out).

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #69,450 of 75,861
There was a page for US $36.10 earbuds using the same driver as TXGEar Serratus.
According to the review, unlike the TXGEar Serratus, it seems to be a bass earbud...
https://aliexpi.com/sWxP
DIY blue film 300ohm earpbuds mmcx heads were arrived.
They are bass-oriented earbuds, well balanced with a silver-plated cable. They have sufficient sensitivity even at 300ohm and even the sub-bass is well produced.
In my case, I use them on plain because I feel there is too much bass when I put the foams on.
Good earbuds for those who are bass-head with good cost performance.
blue 300ohm.jpg

DIY earpbuds mmcx blue film 300ohm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back