Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 1, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #65,656 of 75,266
the 100ohm driver seems intriguing to me, I do like a more balanced sound sig.

right now I am waiting on my trn ema to arrive (heard it was a pretty good stupid cheap earbud so I went ahead and got one) and am messing around with a tingo tc200 diy, and a hifiman he400se as well that I just got. so some more buds will have to wait. :)
The Super One 100ohm bio driver for the M2s Pro are my favorite (to my ears). Since the M4 came out, all of those have been discontinued, so if you can get a set (and are ever planning on owning them) now might be the only time to get them.... Just a heads up.. :)

I have always been curious about the Hifiman HE400SE (owning the HE400S), but I have not been able to hear from anyone that has had both to compare. The HE400S has always been more akin to the HE400I (OG), but I have never been sure where the HE400SE fits (being much cheaper than both of those). And we know how terrible Hifiman is at naming their phones. Most times the naming only suggests they are in the same family, but in reality, they never are.

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #65,657 of 75,266
The Super One 100ohm bio driver for the M2s Pro are my favorite (to my ears). Since the M4 came out, all of those have been discontinued, so if you can get a set (and are ever planning on owning them) now might be the only time to get them.... Just a heads up.. :)

I have always been curious about the Hifiman HE400SE (owning the HE400S), but I have not been able to hear from anyone that has had both to compare. The HE400S has always been more akin to the HE400I (OG), but I have never been sure where the HE400SE fits (being much cheaper than both of those). And we know how terrible Hifiman is at naming their phones. Most times the naming only suggests they are in the same family, but in reality, they never are.
thanks for the heads up!

not much i could tell you about comparing the he400se since it is the only one I have owned.

I have heard that a lot of the 400 series are pretty similar to each other

not a review but, in my experience so far, the bass is quite lacking, and I did remove the grill covers to see if it made a difference in sound and it did a little bit imo

i used the auto eq for the hifimans and it did improve the sound quite a bit imo but I still felt that bass was lacking even with the increase

unfortunately my qudelix 5k is brought to its knees trying to power this behemoth. i even got a 2.5mm balanced cable (since the q5k gives some more power with that) and with the eq I was just at a barely okay noise level

my dad wanted to try it out and was asking for me to increase the volume... but I literally could not lol :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #65,658 of 75,266
thanks for the heads up!

not much i could tell you about comparing the he400se since it is the only one I have owned.

I have heard that a lot of the 400 series are pretty similar to each other

not a review but, in my experience so far, the bass is quite lacking, and I did remove the grill covers to see if it made a difference in sound and it did a little bit imo

i used the auto eq for the hifimans and it did improve the sound quite a bit imo but I still felt that bass was lacking even with the increase

unfortunately my qudelix 5k is brought to its knees trying to power this behemoth. i even got a 2.5mm balanced cable (since the q5k gives some more power with that) and with the eq I was just at a barely okay noise level

my dad wanted to try it out and was asking for me to increase the volume... but I literally could not lol :)
You are welcome!

I believe that the 400 series are indeed similar to each other (from reading about it) other than the OG HE400, which were pretty bassy (but had some major treble issues). Where they are pretty similar IMO is that they all have a more neutral bass tuning (similar to the HD600), and if you require bass quantity, these aren't the answer. If you prefer the neutrality they provide, the HE400 series are and outstanding (entry level audiophile) example of good planar headphones. As for my HE400S they DO take EQ well, and I can make them positively bassy (for me).

Planars are known for needing more power to push them (current) well. Even though the impedance and sensitivity would lead you to believe they are easy to drive, most of them will scale well with more amp. While they will never be bassy, adding more power will tighten things up, and not sound as sloppy (comparatively). Treble will be much better overall, and the overall signature will ultimately sound different(ish). :)

Having said all of that, if you want to add more bass (especially mid bass) removing the grills won't accomplish that as much as changing the pad to leather pads will. Though removing the grills might add to the staging. Now, I don't know if the pads are the same as all the others in the 400 family, but try searching the HE400S thread for the ones to get. But generally it was decided the best sounding pads were the Focus A pads (not the regular Focus pads). The Brainwavz weren't great, but some liked them, and the Dekoni pads also weren't the best. I can say though, that changing to leather pads DID make a pretty sizeable difference (for both my HE400S, and my Focal Elegia).

There is also another trick you could try which is much cheaper and does indeed help quite a bit. Using cardboard, or cardstock (best option), you can make a cutout and place them in the pads. Here is a picture (not mine, but from the HE400S thread):

Attenuation_Rings.jpg

Edit: Apologies! I have gone way off topic once again.... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #65,659 of 75,266
You are welcome!

I believe that the 400 series are indeed similar to each other (from reading about it) other than the OG HE400, which were pretty bassy (but had some major treble issues). Where they are pretty similar IMO is that they all have a more neutral bass tuning (similar to the HD600), and if you require bass quantity, these aren't the answer. If you prefer the neutrality they provide, the HE400 series are and outstanding (entry level audiophile) example of good planar headphones. As for my HE400S they DO take EQ well, and I can make them positively bassy (for me).

Planars are known for needing more power to push them (current) well. Even though the impedance and sensitivity would lead you to believe they are easy to drive, most of them will scale well with more amp. While they will never be bassy, adding more power will tighten things up, and not sound as sloppy (comparatively). Treble will be much better overall, and the overall signature will ultimately sound different(ish). :)

Having said all of that, if you want to add more bass (especially mid bass) removing the grills won't accomplish that as much as changing the pad to leather pads will. Though removing the grills might add to the staging. Now, I don't know if the pads are the same as all the others in the 400 family, but try searching the HE400S thread for the ones to get. But generally it was decided the best sounding pads were the Focus A pads (not the regular Focus pads). The Brainwavz weren't great, but some liked them, and the Dekoni pads also weren't the best. I can say though, that changing to leather pads DID make a pretty sizeable difference (for both my HE400S, and my Focal Elegia).

There is also another trick you could try which is much cheaper and does indeed help quite a bit. Using cardboard, or cardstock (best option), you can make a cutout and place them in the pads. Here is a picture (not mine, but from the HE400S thread):

Attenuation_Rings.jpg

Edit: Apologies! I have gone way off topic once again.... 🤷‍♂️
woah im gonna try that cardboard thing and see if it does help out, otherwise I would be interested in some pads for better bass.

I do like the sound signature, but I would like to feel the bass when the song asks for it.

thanks for the hacks! :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #65,660 of 75,266
woah im gonna try that cardboard thing and see if it does help out, otherwise I would be interested in some pads for better bass.

I do like the sound signature, but I would like to feel the bass when the song asks for it.

thanks for the hacks! :)
I would be interested in hearing how it turns out for you on this?! :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Also, if you end up getting any of the other drivers for the M2s Pro....

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #65,661 of 75,266
So... given I cracked my Iris 2.0 Faceplate getting it opened up, I did not want to do the same to Rosemary which cost twice as much.

I know a lot of you don't like the Rosemary (and probably hate Faaeal) but I like it enough to use it fairly often but I did find it a bit muddy and too warm due to the bloaty bass.

Thanks to @RikudouGoku's help, I was able to fix that issue for a total of........ $0.

Basically... just tape one side of the back bass vents on each side (I used just used Scotch tape that I had lying around to cover the inner vents) and swapped out to the thinnest foams I had lying around and voila... bass tightens up a LOT and the warmth is reduced tastefully resulting in a lovely signature that sounds quite a bit more open and clean. Treble is more airy too.

My 150BG driver (will be my first attempt at diy) is still en route so I can't compare to stock but compared to the untaped Rosemary, the difference is night and day. Very happy with this $20 purchase! If any of you have Rosemary, I'd recommend giving it a try. Also...for those like me who aren't good with a soldering iron and can't easily build an earbud, this is a good way to get a good driver to play around with, even if the shell can't easily be popped open.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #65,663 of 75,266
So... given I cracked my Iris 2.0 Faceplate getting it opened up, I did not want to do the same to Rosemary which cost twice as much.

I know a lot of you don't like the Rosemary (and probably hate Faaeal) but I like it enough to use it fairly often but I did find it a bit muddy and too warm due to the bloaty bass.

Thanks to @RikudouGoku's help, I was able to fix that issue for a total of........ $0.

Basically... just tape one side of the back bass vents on each side (I used just used Scotch tape that I had lying around to cover the inner vents) and swapped out to the thinnest foams I had lying around and voila... bass tightens up a LOT and the warmth is reduced tastefully resulting in a lovely signature that sounds quite a bit more open and clean. Treble is more airy too.

My 150BG driver (will be my first attempt at diy) is still en route so I can't compare to stock but compared to the untaped Rosemary, the difference is night and day. Very happy with this $20 purchase! If any of you have Rosemary, I'd recommend giving it a try. Also...for those like me who aren't good with a soldering iron and can't easily build an earbud, this is a good way to get a good driver to play around with, even if the shell can't easily be popped open.

Interesting. You reduce the amount of venting to the back (taping half of the vents), which should drop the bass quite a bit, and then you reduce the foam at the back of the driver, which tend to add a bit of bass. Interesting idea. I should try :thinking:

I tend to open as many vents as possible ("open back") and then increase foam to control the bass. Anyhow, geeking is fun. Looking forward for your first full DIY buds :ksc75smile:

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #65,664 of 75,266

personally i used a soldering iron just to put a hole in the shells lol

quick and also dangerous... for the earbud

the mod made it like 15-20% better to my ears

did the same on a tingo tc200 i had laying around, made it much better as well

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #65,665 of 75,266
personally i used a soldering iron just to put a hole in the shells lol

quick and also dangerous... for the earbud

the mod made it like 15-20% better to my ears

did the same on a tingo tc200 i had laying around, made it much better as well
Honestly I was thinking of doing the same once my shells arrive. Seems less likely ruin a shell than drilling :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #65,666 of 75,266
I absolutely think so. I listen to mine quite often despite having many pairs of earbuds that would be considered better and more expensive. They do laid back and relaxed listening so well and are one of my favorite buds for listening to blues and bluesy rock in specific.

Edit: I'd like to add that maybe my set are significantly different somehow, but they aren't a basshead set by any means as @baskingshark described. Mine sound similar to the Sennheiser HD650s I own in terms of overall tuning and in terms of bass quanitity. I agree with them not being the mo
I absolutely think so. I listen to mine quite often despite having many pairs of earbuds that would be considered better and more expensive. They do laid back and relaxed listening so well and are one of my favorite buds for listening to blues and bluesy rock in specific.

Edit: I'd like to add that maybe my set are significantly different somehow, but they aren't a basshead set by any means as @baskingshark described. Mine sound similar to the Sennheiser HD650s I own in terms of overall tuning and in terms of bass quanitity. I agree with them not being the most technical set and being very smooth which is why I think they do relaxed listening and stuff like the blues so well.

Edit 2: Just wanted to to also point out that a quick glance at my collection of over ears or buds will show you that I'm NOT a basshead at all. I generally dislike overly emphasized bass. The FF3s, being a notable exception, are borderline for me and the bassiest thing I own.

Edit 3: Spelling because OCD, caveman thumbs, and smartphone keyboards don't mix.

st technical set and being very smooth which is why I think they do relaxed listening and stuff like the blues so well.

Edit 2: Just wanted to to also point out that a quick glance at my collection of over ears or buds will show you that I'm NOT a basshead at all. I generally dislike overly emphasized bass. The FF3s, being a notable exception, are borderline for me and the bassiest thing I own.

Edit 3: Spelling because OCD, caveman thumbs, and smartphone keyboards don't mix.
I need to get the rosemary to try now.
The NiceHCK EB2S is somewhat similar to the HD650 in tonality. Haven't heard the HD600, but maybe the others can give their advise!
Thanks!

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #65,668 of 75,266
I know this is a strange question… but are there any high quality earbuds that are warm and don’t leak sound. I prefer the comfort and fit of earbuds but want no leakage.
It's just one of the design tradeoffs for earbuds. Sound is exchanged with the outside world, both in and out. I don't think you can get around this.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #65,669 of 75,266
I know this is a strange question… but are there any high quality earbuds that are warm and don’t leak sound. I prefer the comfort and fit of earbuds but want no leakage.

i think the closest to using open type earbuds with some noise isolation would be something with ANC tech, like Bose QC20 (wired) or Huawei freebuds 4 (wireless). the freebuds 4 battery is rather short though for today's standard, but the open earbud ANC works quite effective, and it sounds good too.

Samsung Buds Live ANC also work good, but only if it fit in the ears deeper..i could only get it's ANC to work when i push it slightly in,but as soon as i let go, the ANC would be next to worthless. sounds quite good though, and the subbass reach is great while not pushing the midbass forward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back