Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 8, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #28,847 of 75,148
I'd suggest slowing down a bit and getting to know your earbuds. A big collection can be nice, but so many in such a short period can make it a little more difficult to decide what you like.
Yeah, I completely agree with you. I just couldn't control myself because I was so excited that I could listen to music and still listen to my surroundings. For years I didn't understand why it seemed that everyone only wanted isolation at all times, so finding good quality earbuds was like a life changing event. Anyway, I seem to have myself together now. I really do want to take some time with each one to actually appreciate them and get to know them.

Edit: I just want to be clear that I still like isolation, but not all the time.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #28,848 of 75,148
Of the ones you've bought, my favorite is the CampFred 2. I'd suggest saving it for last and working your way up the chain just in case you're someone that has a difficult time listening to a less proficient earbud once you've gotten used to something nice. If you aren't, then just go nuts and enjoy yourself.

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #28,849 of 75,148
Earbud world is currently so amazing. There are a bunch of IEMs that I dislike and only some that I like, but it's soooo hard to dislike even the cheapest of modern earbuds. There are some crazy good buds <20$ that imho put all other form factors to shame in terms of value. Even when you technically get a better sound with something many times the price of value buds, there is still something special about buds that keeps me reaching for them all of the time.

Some small part of me doesn't want to experience more expensive earbuds because I believe that some of the enjoyment of listening to buds comes from the fact that big sound is coming out of a small and cheap thing that defies the laws of physics. Obviously, resistance is futile in this hobby and some of the ~100$ buds are becoming more and more irresistible by the day.

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #28,850 of 75,148
Of the ones you've bought, my favorite is the CampFred 2. I'd suggest saving it for last and working your way up the chain just in case you're someone that has a difficult time listening to a less proficient earbud once you've gotten used to something nice. If you aren't, then just go nuts and enjoy yourself.

Will do! The CampFred 2's were the last ones I got too.

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #28,851 of 75,148
Also testing CAX Zoomfred at the moment!

that cable color scheme looks like Mogami microphone cable. how's your take on the Zoomfred's sound?

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #28,852 of 75,148
I am still not good at the pictures thing but about my favorites, I haven't decided. I know that the Tomahawks were beautifully bright at first and so clear but then they hurt my ears as I guess I found the highs too sibilant after some time for actual use. The Tings were much better as the highs are bright but they don't hurt my ears. I like the Shozy Cygnus as they are comfortable but I didn't think the sound was better than the Tings to my untrained ears. The Penon BS1's are great and I really like those as well as the Rose Masya but I haven't really put enough hours on them to come to a decision on which I like better. The Campfred 2.0's are in the same boat. I do find that I prefer the shape of the Tings, BS1's and the Masya to the traditional shape of the earbuds. Probably because I prefer to use them over hear as I find that keeps them in place better for me. I'll hopefully update everyone on my ranking at a later time. :-D
Ok a few things cone to mind, you probably have figured this out but thicker foams reduce treble/clarity and thinner foams allow more through. Bass is usually strongest with the better seal

not always thicker or thinner just depends on the fit is in ear mostly although usually thicker foam=better seal=more bass

So by that logic if you apply super thin foams to the buds that need more treble/clarity they will sound better. The treble heavy buds may perform best with thick foams.

As for full vs donuts, For me the reason to pick one or the other is down to how smooth/full you want the lower mids. If you find an earbud overly thick and mid bass is bloated, try donuts. If you find an earbud a little weak in the mids, too thin or too grainy, add full foams.

A step further would be to buy some foam tape (I’m using badminton grip which is ideal for this use) and you can add a slight lip to the shell so it fits more snug in your ear and boosts the sound quality in that way.

Buds like the BS1, Tomahawk and Masya may perform best overear, it makes the sound airy but less piercing in the treble imo.

The shozy cygnus I use with the absolute thinnest foams in donut form, it needs all the help it can get with clarity but you’ll be happy you have it for its comfort, for relaxing listening (good sleeping buds) and for stuff like audiobooks etc because the have nicely forward vocals with a relaxing smooth full sound.

Obviously I’m not advocating you spend much more after that haul but you may want to pick up these $1 thin foams and $1 donut foams for all those buds (stock full foams are always plentiful)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32790634729/32790634729.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32683389893/32683389893.html

You’re pretty much set for a long time with that collection tbh! Enjoy them all :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #28,853 of 75,148
Is this 3 button version of the Monk Plus an inline microphone for iOS? I realize that a lot of purists don't like inline mics. But my kids go through headphones like you cannot imagine. Not sure if this link will work but 2 of these "color" options are with inline mics. Also I'm enjoying my Monk Plus since I got them this afternoon and wouldn't mind being able to answer a call. It has already happened that a call came in while listening with phone in pocket. Thanks all.

Inline mic option?
It's the 5th color option at $13.01

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #28,854 of 75,148
Is this 3 button version of the Monk Plus an inline microphone for iOS? I realize that a lot of purists don't like inline mics. But my kids go through headphones like you cannot imagine. Not sure if this link will work but 2 of these "color" options are with inline mics. Also I'm enjoying my Monk Plus since I got them this afternoon and wouldn't mind being able to answer a call. It has already happened that a call came in while listening with phone in pocket. Thanks all.

Inline mic option?

If you just go to veclan.com it is the same seller but you can check out with Paypal. That is how I got my Monk Lites. Then you get points as well that are sometimes required for special products. I got my Monk Plus like you did ... from Amazon. Mine has no mic but that is what I would have chosen anyway. Why would anyone let a call interrupt their music? :)

I should add...if you use the veclan site you will see the mic options like this:

Mic Options
no mic
universal mic-1buttons
iOS mic-3buttons
Android mic-3buttons

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #28,855 of 75,148

Inline mic option?
Auglamour RX1S has a 3 button inline mic that works on IOS, just a heads up.

It’s also extremely well built so will not break easily so the kids won’t be able to smash the metal shell too easily when they use it as a weapon :D

Saying that, the monk plus is also well built for the price albeit with a plastic body.

Both have rubberised cables, the RX1S cable is a little thicker so probably will last longer. Also the 3.5mm jack is stronger on the rx1s.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #28,856 of 75,148
I am still not good at the pictures thing but about my favorites, I haven't decided. I know that the Tomahawks were beautifully bright at first and so clear but then they hurt my ears as I guess I found the highs too sibilant after some time for actual use. The Tings were much better as the highs are bright but they don't hurt my ears. I like the Shozy Cygnus as they are comfortable but I didn't think the sound was better than the Tings to my untrained ears. The Penon BS1's are great and I really like those as well as the Rose Masya but I haven't really put enough hours on them to come to a decision on which I like better. The Campfred 2.0's are in the same boat. I do find that I prefer the shape of the Tings, BS1's and the Masya to the traditional shape of the earbuds. Probably because I prefer to use them over hear as I find that keeps them in place better for me. I'll hopefully update everyone on my ranking at a later time. :-D

I also bought $ 66 cheap Penon BS1 on a used site.
I tried various ear pads, but I found that the following transparent silicone pads fit as BS1's ear pads to make the diameter big.
http://aliexpress.com/item//32795511476.html

It makes the sound airy but less piercing in the treble imo.
This transparent silicone pads also fit Rose Masya, Mojito, Moondrop Liebsleid, MX985 etc, so I recommend you to purchase this pads more than you need now.

Edit:
This also fits Ting.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #28,857 of 75,148
Keep cygnus and campfred2

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #28,858 of 75,148
Ok a few things cone to mind, you probably have figured this out but thicker foams reduce treble/clarity and thinner foams allow more through. Bass is usually strongest with the better seal

not always thicker or thinner just depends on the fit is in ear mostly although usually thicker foam=better seal=more bass

So by that logic if you apply super thin foams to the buds that need more treble/clarity they will sound better. The treble heavy buds may perform best with thick foams.

As for full vs donuts, For me the reason to pick one or the other is down to how smooth/full you want the lower mids. If you find an earbud overly thick and mid bass is bloated, try donuts. If you find an earbud a little weak in the mids, too thin or too grainy, add full foams.

A step further would be to buy some foam tape (I’m using badminton grip which is ideal for this use) and you can add a slight lip to the shell so it fits more snug in your ear and boosts the sound quality in that way.

Buds like the BS1, Tomahawk and Masya may perform best overear, it makes the sound airy but less piercing in the treble imo.

The shozy cygnus I use with the absolute thinnest foams in donut form, it needs all the help it can get with clarity but you’ll be happy you have it for its comfort, for relaxing listening (good sleeping buds) and for stuff like audiobooks etc because the have nicely forward vocals with a relaxing smooth full sound.

Obviously I’m not advocating you spend much more after that haul but you may want to pick up these $1 thin foams and $1 donut foams for all those buds (stock full foams are always plentiful)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32790634729/32790634729.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32683389893/32683389893.html

You’re pretty much set for a long time with that collection tbh! Enjoy them all :)

I also bought $ 66 cheap Penon BS1 on a used site.
I tried various ear pads, but I found that the following transparent silicone pads fit as BS1's ear pads to make the diameter big.
http://aliexpress.com/item//32795511476.html

It makes the sound airy but less piercing in the treble imo.
This transparent silicone pads also fit Rose Masya, Mojito, Moondrop Liebsleid, MX985 etc, so I recommend you to purchase this pads more than you need now.

Thanks! Done, done and done.

I am really looking forward to getting the silicone pads. I had no idea this even existed until just now.

Thank you both. Seriously. :ksc75smile:

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #28,859 of 75,148
@seanc6441 I took your recommendation and cut off the foams to allow the back port to "breath" on the BS1 Official. All owners should do it. Became bit more brighter... and mid treble is more forward.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #28,860 of 75,148
Which cable is best with the PT15? There are several choices so just wondered what everyone was using. Also, is anyone running them balanced? I may start heading that way shortly, just for something to do!
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back