Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #28,471 of 75,148
I actually wear them like that from time to time; the sound does change for the better. Haha it's kinda like that sideways insert method mentioned a bit earlier in the thread except I can actually do this one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Rock works too; I listen to Alter Bridge, Stone Temple Pilots, and others. I would still recommend the BS1 as an all-rounder in that case.
Yeah bs1 handles everything tbh. Pretty much an all rounder.

And yeah over ear I feel the sound is more transparent/effortless and the vocals are more forward and engaging. Dynamics inprove too.

It sounded congested the other way in comparison to this + the super thin foams.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #28,472 of 75,148
All earbuds and iems worn over ears will sound lighter airier, because it is not pushing down it's weight too much toward the cavum part of the ears, which to me seem to play large part in receiving bass vibration/rumble feel.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #28,473 of 75,148
All earbuds and iems worn over ears will sound lighter airier, because it is not pushing down it's weight too much toward the cavum part of the ears, which to me seem to play large part in receiving bass vibration/rumble feel.
The bass has remained strong though, although between the airiness and vocals being presented more forward and much more engaging and the soundstage becoming bigger and having a more round the head presentation to rival or surpass the masya imo, this is just a new level to this earbud. It has only one flaw being the less than natural upper mids emphasis but it's not detrimental or anything. Just something to stop me considering the signature reference flat/neutral.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #28,474 of 75,148
@waynes world Been busy with work and life, so haven't had time to do any real comparisons. Doing a little back and forth between Zen 1 and Raven Mk 2, I'm surprised I feel the bass on the Raven more. Keep in mind I don't have volume matching equipment, so take it for what you will. Both have decent vocals, but not as forward as some other earbuds that aim to be vocal-centric. Honestly, Raven Mk2 might be a good alternative to the Zen 1 for those who never got one or wish to baby theirs. Haven't had much music time lately, so it's still not far along in the natural burn in process as I prefer to do it while listening. Again, sorry for the delay.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #28,475 of 75,148
@waynes world Been busy with work and life, so haven't had time to do any real comparisons. Doing a little back and forth between Zen 1 and Raven Mk 2, I'm surprised I feel the bass on the Raven more. Keep in mind I don't have volume matching equipment, so take it for what you will. Both have decent vocals, but not as forward as some other earbuds that aim to be vocal-centric. Honestly, Raven Mk2 might be a good alternative to the Zen 1 for those who never got one or wish to baby theirs. Haven't had much music time lately, so it's still not far along in the natural burn in process as I prefer to do it while listening. Again, sorry for the delay.

Thanks! Those impressions are very helpful for me (and definitely no apologies necessary!). Thanks again.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #28,476 of 75,148

For myself personally and more of the impressions I read the opposite is true. Depends on ear anatomy but many more times things fit deeper and have more bass and warmth cause the arm/reliefs are not stopping/limiting the depth one can get vs. straight down. Thus the recommendation to wear over the ear to fix the treble heavy sound they were getting. With earbuds cable weight can make the top lean out letting the bass out the top. Over the ear many times stops that effect or a clip is needed to take the weight off.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #28,478 of 75,148
For myself personally and more of the impressions I read the opposite is true. Depends on ear anatomy but many more times things fit deeper and have more bass and warmth cause the arm/reliefs are not stopping/limiting the depth one can get vs. straight down. Thus the recommendation to wear over the ear to fix the treble heavy sound they were getting. With earbuds cable weight can make the top lean out letting the bass out the top. Over the ear many times stops that effect or a clip is needed to take the weight off.

True if like you said you can rest them low like that. I can't do that and the earbuds always " float" abit making the bass lessened. Whereas when wearing them straight down i never have problems with the arm/ stem of the buds, as always have enough clearing for it. If not, i just tilt them slightly forward

I agree with you, it all depends on the individual's anatomy

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #28,479 of 75,148
True if like you said you can rest them low like that. I can't do that and the earbuds always " float" abit making the bass lessened. Whereas when wearing them straight down i never have problems with the arm/ stem of the buds, as always have enough clearing for it. If not, i just tilt them slightly forward

I agree with you, it all depends on the individual's anatomy
and the shell design etc etc. lots of variables.

All I know is it sounds twice as good this way haha.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #28,480 of 75,148
and the shell design etc etc. lots of variables.

All I know is it sounds twice as good this way haha.

Not to mention now you have two different sounds from one buds, big bonus!

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #28,481 of 75,148
Sorry forgot to say it to you, got it on amazon it arrives tomorrow and I’ll let you know what I think :)

If you find any more ve ex pack original thin foams you can try this setup and wear them overear like an IEM sorta. It’s leagues ahead in terms of soundstage width and airy presentation than any other setup.

I really cannot explain why the sound changed so much, but it does.

If I wear them downwards the thin foam makes the mids a little shouty snd treble too much, this method keeps that in check and improves the sound so much.

The dude at penon actually suggested me to wear it like this when I was talking about the heavy cable, I didn’t pay attention to it at the time but I should’ve.
I think that this is just a constructive miscalculation, the holes of damping are overlapped by the ear, which leads to less airiness, IMHO P80221-095035.jpg

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #28,482 of 75,148
Kind of running out of place in the 1st post to put pictures (apparently you can only put 40 pictures max in one post), so these have to be updated to the 3rd post.

EB41.jpg

Hifiboy Dream
K's Earphones 'Black Bell' (Black Ling) balanced
K's Earphones Beryllium driver 180ohm prototype (纯铍180欧工程版)
K's Earphones 'White Bell' (White Ling) balanced

EB42.jpg

K's Earphones K32
K's Earphones K300
K's Earphones K64

EB43.jpg

VE Monk Omega
VE Asura Omega
VE Zen Omega

Anyway, got these during CNY and I haven't actually had the time to finish listening to them, but I guess I'll have the picture up first.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #28,484 of 75,148
Kind of running out of place in the 1st post to put pictures (apparently you can only put 40 pictures max in one post), so these have to be updated to the 3rd post.

EB41.jpg

Hifiboy Dream

EB42.jpg

K's Earphones K32
K's Earphones K300
K's Earphones K64

EB43.jpg

VE Monk Omega
VE Asura Omega
VE Zen Omega

Anyway, got these during CNY and I haven't actually had the time to finish listening to them, but I guess I'll have the picture up first.

EB41.jpg

Hifiboy Dream

EB42.jpg

K's Earphones K32
K's Earphones K300
K's Earphones K64

EB43.jpg

VE Monk Omega
VE Asura Omega
VE Zen Omega

I'd love to know the difference between the white and black ling when you have time, and maybe short comparisons.
I couldn't find many impressions of them, and they seem pretty good based on K's track record.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #28,485 of 75,148

Users who are viewing this thread

Back