Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 18, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #28,441 of 75,148
Are you sure you are doing it correctly?

We need everyone to share photographs. For me there is no space. Too small inner area, too flat and that part is too rigid on my ear.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #28,443 of 75,148
Guys in the Sub $100 iem thread, some members are trying a "sideways insertion" of their earbuds to apparently great effect. I tried this and saw no benefit in my case, fiddly, less resolution and thinner bass, nevertheless I wanted to make you aware of it in case some of you hadn´t seen it and notice an improvement:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ssions-sharing-reference-list.805930/page-468 post#7016

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ssions-sharing-reference-list.805930/page-469 post#7027, 7028

i don't really like using the earbuds that way. not that i can't use it like that (my ears are large enough to fit **** sideways), but it will increase treble while reducing bass response

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #28,444 of 75,148
i don't really like using the earbuds that way. not that i can't use it like that (my ears are large enough to fit **** sideways), but it will increase treble while reducing bass response
Yeah I think any perceived boost in clarity is because the lower frequencies are reduced/ less resonance off the ear and more direct firing of sound into the ear so soundstage will probably be affected.

I guess doing this makes them sound more like IEM’s in terms of sound presentation without the isolation.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #28,445 of 75,148
still burn in, but I'm very impressed with the poseidon.
20180218_162452.jpg

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #28,448 of 75,148
Yeah I think any perceived boost in clarity is because the lower frequencies are reduced/ less resonance off the ear and more direct firing of sound into the ear so soundstage will probably be affected.

I guess doing this makes them sound more like IEM’s in terms of sound presentation without the isolation.

One more thing to add: i used to wear the mrice e100 sideways like this, it resulted in hurting my ears (it's like suddenly i heard water sloshing inside my ears). I concluded that is the cause, because that is the only time in my life i experienced it. I stopped doing that again, and to this day i never had that ear problem again

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #28,449 of 75,148
Thanks for finding that. While I do like my MX880's a lot, I think it's time to move on from them, particularly because they had one feature that was rather annoying in the crappy volume control.
Can you handle some treble? And what’s your source? You may love the toneking tomahawk if your source has a warmer smoother presentation to balance out the tomahawk’s colder bright nature. It sounds amazing with metal/electronic and synthised music.

I think you would really love it with the right source. Especially considering your listening preferences. It may only be $35 but sometimes price is less important than pairing and the right signature for your music. This thing performs on the right gear with the right music like a boss.
I listen from a Cowon J3, not really sure how it's considered.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #28,450 of 75,148

For me the bass is improved. I can even feel it.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #28,451 of 75,148
For me the bass is improved. I can even feel it.

It's great that it work out for you. I know that it also work out to many people, but sadly this method is not working out for me :sweat_smile:

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #28,452 of 75,148

You should never have a full seal with earbuds, not only is it dangerous to your ears but also completely ruins the sound as the driver membrane can not take that pressure given that all of earbuds are designed for compensation in mind (for some of the lower frequencies leaking).
For me, putting buds sideways makes them 10 times better - removes nasty treble peaks (that are present with all buds to some extent if I wear them normally), brings the bass up quite a bit but it doesn't reduce sound stage nor the open nature of sound. I also don't use any foams with MX shell and I need them for RX-1 which is a bit smaller and doesn't properly sit in my ear sideways without foams.

What ends up happening is this - only a couple of holes in MX front shell end up firing sound into surroundings, some of them are closed by my ear and most of them are directly shooting into my canal - compared to wearing them regularly where essentially most of the bass gets lost regardless of foams and some of the holes are closed, some shooting sideways in my ear yet most of that sound can't even enter my canal as the bud is blocking it and none of the holes are firing in my canal at all. I never had fitting issues with dozens of IEMs so my canal has quite the average position.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #28,453 of 75,148
You should never have a full seal with earbuds, not only is it dangerous to your ears but also completely ruins the sound as the driver membrane can not take that pressure given that all of earbuds are designed for compensation in mind (for some of the lower frequencies leaking).
For me, putting buds sideways makes them 10 times better - removes nasty treble peaks (that are present with all buds to some extent if I wear them normally), brings the bass up quite a bit but it doesn't reduce sound stage nor the open nature of sound. I also don't use any foams with MX shell and I need them for RX-1 which is a bit smaller and doesn't properly sit in my ear sideways without foams.

What ends up happening is this - only a couple of holes in MX front shell end up firing sound into surroundings, some of them are closed by my ear and most of them are directly shooting into my canal - compared to wearing them regularly where essentially most of the bass gets lost regardless of foams and some of the holes are closed, some shooting sideways in my ear yet most of that sound can't even enter my canal as the bud is blocking it and none of the holes are firing in my canal at all. I never had fitting issues with dozens of IEMs so my canal has quite the average position.
It never truly seals fully. At least in my experience. It’s impactful and airy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back