Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 18, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #28,456 of 75,148
Feb 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #28,457 of 75,148
Feb 18, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #28,458 of 75,148
It's great that it work out for you. I know that it also work out to many people, but sadly this method is not working out for me :sweat_smile:

I am sad for you my friend. For me it is much more comfortable and musical. I'm lucky to have the ears for it.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #28,459 of 75,148
Now that we are talking about inserting things, that sounds like something my wife would say...

Sooo... Inserting things sideways lately? :joy:

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #28,461 of 75,148
Thanks for your kindness.

Poseidon is the one that truly moves my heart. I can only afford the silver one.

I think I need to wait.

If there is any consolation, the gold/platinum version should sound identical to the silver version, according to K's. The extra cost is really just for the individual custom order of the housing in expensive metal.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #28,462 of 75,148
Thanks for your kindness.

Poseidon is the one that truly moves my heart. I can only afford the silver one.

I think I need to wait.

I hope you can find them for sell somewhere!

If there is any consolation, the gold/platinum version should sound identical to the silver version, according to K's. The extra cost is really just for the individual custom order of the housing in expensive metal.
so it's confirmed that k's won't make the silver one again?

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #28,463 of 75,148
Feb 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #28,464 of 75,148
That's what they announced.
It would’ve been an investment to purchase one then if that’s the case... With them being exclusive and the next option being 10x expensive, you could buy one knowing you’d be atleast breaking even when you sold it :)

Although it’s not set in stone with these companies about their future production plans.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #28,465 of 75,148
Can you handle some treble? And what’s your source? You may love the toneking tomahawk if your source has a warmer smoother presentation to balance out the tomahawk’s colder bright nature. It sounds amazing with metal/electronic and synthised music.

I think you would really love it with the right source. Especially considering your listening preferences. It may only be $35 but sometimes price is less important than pairing and the right signature for your music. This thing performs on the right gear with the right music like a boss.
I read your conversation with @Ceteru when someone suggested the Tomahawk to him and I feel like his feelings more or less mirrored mine. While a lot of the genres I listed are a bit metal or electronic in nature, the reality is I enjoy pretty much all music and listen to enough variety of genres that I think I'm looking for a strong all-arounder. I want a single set of earbuds that'll do a solid job on anything I throw at it and will last. Hence why I said I was intrigued by everyone's posts about the BS1 (your Reddit post was actually the first that caught my eye).

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #28,466 of 75,148
I read your conversation with @Ceteru when someone suggested the Tomahawk to him and I feel like his feelings more or less mirrored mine. While a lot of the genres I listed are a bit metal or electronic in nature, the reality is I enjoy pretty much all music and listen to enough variety of genres that I think I'm looking for a strong all-arounder. I want a single set of earbuds that'll do a solid job on anything I throw at it and will last. Hence why I said I was intrigued by everyone's posts about the BS1 (your Reddit post was actually the first that caught my eye).
I’ve had my ups and downs with the bs1 because the sound is finicky with different foams and such.

If you buy a ve ex pack you can test many variants of foam to try. Or buy the cheap thin foams on aliexpress linked many times in the last few pages.

I think they have amazing potential with the right fit and source, although I cannot say they will sound great in every configuration whereas other buds may do so.

Same can be said about the masya but for my ears the bs1 fit was more tricky, it’s a bigger shell (mx500 size) probably close to your original earbuds.

Yeah you can’t go wrong for the price it’s great, but it’s really special with the right setup and I’m hoping my new cayin dap will be the right setup when I receive it tomorrow.

And yes, I’m very particular about having a perfectly ‘natural’ sound and whilst I think these are slightly coloured in the upper mids/tower treble they can sound pretty damn good overall.

The main bonus being the exceptional depth and imaging in the soundstage, I suggest a wide sounding source to get the most out of the width for separation.

I’m wearing them overear now, with the original monk foam and another donut monk foam on top (not obstructing the vent).

The sound is improved wearing them over ear ‘upside down’ I don’t know why. Vocals sound better and the soundstage sounds more natural out of head. The monk thin foams make it incredibly airy, yet the double foams also provide bass impact and the vents on the back aren’t blocked much.

I kepting trying to change foams etc with this earbud because I wasn’t fully happy when I knew it can do better, now I feel like it’s at its best and sounds remarkably like a full size headphone on your ears.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #28,467 of 75,148

I’ve had my ups and downs with the bs1 because the sound is finicky with different foams and such.

If you buy a ve ex pack you can test many variants of foam to try. Or buy the cheap thin foams on aliexpress linked many times in the last few pages.

I think they have amazing potential with the right fit and source, although I cannot say they will sound great in every configuration whereas other buds may do so.

Same can be said about the masya but for my ears the bs1 fit was more tricky, it’s a bigger shell (mx500 size) probably close to your original earbuds.

Yeah you can’t go wrong for the price it’s great, but it’s really special with the right setup and I’m hoping my new cayin dap will be the right setup when I receive it tomorrow.

Hey man, if you are like me and you listen to a wide variety of music, I would HIGHLY suggest the BS1. It's very versatile and I can listen to anything on them without worry. Just this morning at work I've listened to Black Crown Initiate (progressive death metal), Major Lazer (pop/hip-hop), Madeon (EDM), and a few other artists, all on the BS1, and all without ever getting the feeling of "man, I need a different set of buds for this song".

Since you said metal and electronic are your two main genres of music, I can confirm that the BS1 has enough bass to enjoy both (basslines in metal and bass kicks in electronic), a non-fatiguing treble for cymbals and hi-hats (as long as you use foams), and accurate and tonally pleasant mids for vocals and guitars. There's good separation of instruments too, so I don't feel overwhelmed when a song gets complex (which both metal and electronic songs can do depending on the artist).

I know Sean recommends just the right setup, but for me personally, I've been able to use them with anything with no complaints.

@seanc6441 You pulled the trigger?! Congrats man, definitely let us know how you like the new source (make sure to take some glamour shots :o2smile:).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #28,468 of 75,148
Hey man, if you are like me and you listen to a wide variety of music, I would HIGHLY suggest the BS1. It's very versatile and I can listen to anything on them without worry. Just this morning at work I've listened to Black Crown Initiate (progressive death metal), Major Lazer (pop/hip-hop), Madeon (EDM), and a few other artists, all on the BS1, and all without ever getting the feeling of "man, I need a different set of buds for this song".

Since you said metal and electronic are your two main genres of music, I can confirm that the BS1 has enough bass to enjoy both (basslines in metal and bass kicks in electronic), a non-fatiguing treble for cymbals and hi-hats (as long as you use foams), and accurate and tonally pleasant mids for vocals and guitars. There's good separation of instruments too, so I don't feel overwhelmed when a song gets complex (which both metal and electronic songs can do depending on the artist).

I know Sean recommends just the right setup, but for me personally, I've been able to use them with anything with no complaints.

@seanc6441 You pulled the trigger?! Congrats man, definitely let us know how you like the new source (make sure to take some glamour shots :o2smile:).
Sorry forgot to say it to you, got it on amazon it arrives tomorrow and I’ll let you know what I think :)

If you find any more ve ex pack original thin foams you can try this setup and wear them overear like an IEM sorta. It’s leagues ahead in terms of soundstage width and airy presentation than any other setup.

image.jpg

I really cannot explain why the sound changed so much, but it does.

If I wear them downwards the thin foam makes the mids a little shouty snd treble too much, this method keeps that in check and improves the sound so much.

The dude at penon actually suggested me to wear it like this when I was talking about the heavy cable, I didn’t pay attention to it at the time but I should’ve.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #28,469 of 75,148

I actually think rock in various forms probably edges out those two in my playlist. Plenty of acoustic, OST, and pop stuff in there as well

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #28,470 of 75,148
Sorry forgot to say it to you, got it on amazon it arrives tomorrow and I’ll let you know what I think :)

If you find any more ve ex pack original thin foams you can try this setup and wear them overear like an IEM sorta. It’s leagues ahead in terms of soundstage width and airy presentation than any other setup.

I really cannot explain why the sound changed so much, but it does.

If I wear them downwards the thin foam makes the mids a little shouty snd treble too much, this method keeps that in check and improves the sound so much.

The dude at penon actually suggested me to wear it like this when I was talking about the heavy cable, I didn’t pay attention to it at the time but I should’ve.

I actually wear them like that from time to time; the sound does change for the better. Haha it's kinda like that sideways insert method mentioned a bit earlier in the thread except I can actually do this one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I actually think rock in various forms probably edges out those two in my playlist. Plenty of acoustic, OST, and pop stuff in there as well

Rock works too; I listen to Alter Bridge, Stone Temple Pilots, and others. I would still recommend the BS1 as an all-rounder in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back