Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #28,501 of 75,139
@thehypewan
as far as I know, these Mojito are legal, but as for the signature of the sound, I always said that they are not suitable for vocal genres of music (Masya is more universal for this, IMHO). Try them with thick foams over rubber rings, also try changing the polarity of connecting the detachable cable.

Thank you y'all for your input! This community is for sure the best. @golov17 would you say this model of the Mojito comparable to one all the reviewers rave about? Or should i sell this one to get the newer model to get the experience im aiming for?

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #28,505 of 75,139
I think that this is just a constructive miscalculation, the holes of damping are overlapped by the ear, which leads to less airiness, IMHO
I didn’t find the holes obstructed wearing them down or up, but it’s likely fir some ears that’s the case, I think that the direction o
Penon BS1 Official rear shell is as same as Toneking Unicorn, so in my memory they share nearly same soundstage width, and I don't surprise why I can't tolerate its width of soundstage and finally I resold it. Perhaps I am spoiled with better things.
Did you happen to try it upside down first and with the monk thin (original foans)? The soundstage opens up to impressive levels imo. Comparable to the Rose Masya or greater.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #28,506 of 75,139
I think that this is just a constructive miscalculation, the holes of damping are overlapped by the ear, which leads to less airiness, IMHO
I didn’t find the holes obstructed wearing them down or up, but it’s likely fir some ears that’s the case, I think that the direction o
I recently bought two new earphones after experiencing what the VE monk plus had to offer for the price range. I decided to get the Fengru EMX500S (with blue cable) for fun and the DIY PK2 from a recommendation. I would like to make a short comparison between the monks and the EMX500s that I got. The PK2s are still in the air somewhere in the US.

Everyone here is rather knowledge of the Monk plus' sound signature as, for many, the monks are what got us here in the first place.
To MY ears (emphasis on MY):

For me, the Monks have very little low-end extension, weak but clean mid-bass response, forward mids - both male and female vocals sound wonderful on the monks with female vocals just edging out slightly, and the highs are detailed and spacious but when listening on high volumes, I found that the higher frequencies tend to get a little too hot at times.

From my listening session with both the monks and the EMX500S, here are some direct sonic differences that I have noticed:
Bass:
The Fengru has much deeper subbass. The low end extension on this earphone is killer. I typically listen to Yosi Horikawa's : Wandering for a taste of subbass frequencies and wow did this earbud shock me. I never really expected the subbass to reach this deep on an earphone which in some cases even beats out some of my leaner iems.
The midbass was well done and I could clearly tell from the overall sound sig that this earbud was more focused on the bass than any other frequency (compared to the monks).
However, that came with some caveats.

Mids:
To me, the Fengru mids were just not as magical as the monk mids. I do prefer a forward midrange and the lower mids on the Fengru were a little too distant for my absolute pleasure. Don't get me wrong however, the mids are still very intelligible and I found that the tiny amount of bass bleed unto the mids were very very negligible. As a result though, the lower mids were distant and I found that Dean, a Korean R&B artist I love, didn't have the same magical buttery smooth and lush vocal presence on the EMX500S when listening to his new song: Instagram compared to the monks. Female vocals were better as they were more forward than the male vocals and cello and higher piano notes sounded wonderful. Overall, the mids are to me a mixed bag. The male vocal representation (which is my personal favorite zone) was not up to my standards but they were very intelligible and clear, it was just a personal preference thing for me. The female vocals were great, still somewhat distant, but still much more manageable to me than the lower mid range.

Treble:
The Fengru are very laid back in terms of the treble. Coming from the monks, which were just slightly a bit too hot for my ears at high volumes, the Fengru has less treble extension and that led to a very laid back earphone sound signature. I can see myself blasting the Fengrus and not worrying too much about fatigue as I would have given I was listening to the monks. Coming from the monks, the EMX500S were slightly lacking and didn't have the sparkle I was looking for. Nonetheless, I felt the treble was still adequate and that the laid back treble was a bonus for extended listening sessions. The electronic music list that I use to test higher frequencies just felt slightly constricting to me however coming from the monks.

I honestly do not know how to gauge the size of the soundstage nor do I know how to accurately say whether the imaging was good or bad but I never felt that the soundstage was congested like when I listen to some closed back headphones and some IEMs. The imaging seemed to be very good from my ignorant experience.

I would also like to add that I did not do any foam-rolling of any sort. I used the stock foams that came with the EMX500s and I used the stock thin monk foams on the monks.

Overall, I think that the Fengru EMX 500S are a wonderful set of earbuds that for the price, have a definite positive value. Personally for me, the lower-mid range was slightly distant but the subbass and the midbass on these were just awesome compared to the Monks. I definitely think that the EMX500S do make a very good complementary earbud to the monks as they are perfect for more modern, slightly low-end emphasized music intended for long listening sessions whereas the monks I thought were perfect for more vocal driven detailed music. Hope that helps for people who are thinking of getting the EMX500S and who only have the monks to compare with. I am not an audiophile and I do not have the best ears. These are my personal impressions so take everything I said with a grain of salt. With that in mind, the Fengru EMX500S are pretty darn good for the price they are offered at. I can't wait to get the PK2s as those are the earbuds i'm really waiting for. Listen on everyone!
Try the monk thin foams on your emx500 and report back, you’ll get improved treble, detail and midrange may sound more upfront depending on the fit in your ear.

You may really enjoy that combo.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #28,507 of 75,139
The sibilance is crazy, all the highs blend with each other to create a white noise-like sound and really fatiguing to listen to at my normal listening volume.

edit: An immediate example of my concern is I can't listen to the whole track of Get Up - Technotronic because the up-beat hi-hats going the entire track is so rich where my ears are fatigued by just a minute in.

That's pretty much my exact experiences of Rose Mojito and the main reason I sold them. I am a bit sensitive to sharp highs and on Mojito they are in overabundance.

It might just be that they are not for you, and you have other sound preferences than a focus on extended highs...

(I bought my pair of Mojito from Penon)

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #28,508 of 75,139
Hello! This is my first post...I have been a long time lurker and I have learned a lot from this 1900 page thread on earbud round ups.

I recently purchased the Rose Mojito for a great deal on eBay. However, when I tried them on and compared them to my existing headphones, it didn't come off to me as "better than the rest" given the hype they have been given.

I tested them vs the Monk+, Cygnus, BK. The Mojito in my opinion is worse [to me] than the Cygnus and BK. I love those two so much. I'm listening on the FiiO Q5 via USB and using Spotify Premium [streaming OGG if I recall correctly]. The Mojito has been revered by many enthusiasts and some reviewers say it rivals some good quality headphones. When I go home from work today I will try to compare them with my HE-400i, DT770p, M50s just to see if it is even comparable.

A big concern I have is the Mojito I have looks different from the ones I see for sale by retailers, I can't find a picture online of the one I received so I'm questioning it's authenticity. The sibilance is crazy, all the highs blend with each other to create a white noise-like sound and really fatiguing to listen to at my normal listening volume. It is really disappointing to listen with and had to take them off at work today to swap back to my Shozy BKs.

Here's the eBay sale I purchased from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rose-Technics-Mojito-HiFi-Earbuds-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-amp-Case-Rose-Mojito-/162890135198?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=vxp2OzjDqG%2BFAeTAts3ct9CdQOs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Can y'all give me a little feedback on your experience with the Mojito and let me know if you've seen the design of the one I bought? I appreciate it!

edit: An immediate example of my concern is I can't listen to the whole track of Get Up - Technotronic because the up-beat hi-hats going the entire track is so rich where my ears are fatigued by just a minute in.

Frankly, Shozy BK is one of the very best and hard to beat!

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #28,510 of 75,139
@golov17 is it cosmetic changes only? All Mojito designs are sonically the same? If so, i will be more fair to these and give them a good listen.

I'm going to lean on that these are the early renditions of the Gen 2 model (the model everyone knows; with the rectangle ROSE badge on the shell. I fiddled around with this one a little bit and actually chipped off a piece of the ROSE "sticker" on my model, kind of sad because I thought it was protective film.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #28,511 of 75,139
FTChgqt.jpg

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #28,513 of 75,139
Can someone tell if the Headroom MS16 controls/mic work on a Windows PC? I have one of these 2in1 Headset Ports on my notebook and my Apple Earpods don't work. Will android headsets work?

Using Dell Venue 11 Pro, volume and mic work using the MS16. I can try with my laptop later if you'd like, it's also a Dell.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #28,514 of 75,139
Thanks a lot! I think windows only understands the android coding of the controls because Apple has an own proprietary standard. Good that the MS16 can do both! They have gone up in price a little bit so i think they are growing in popularity.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #28,515 of 75,139
Glad to see you guys here enjoying the Penon BS1 Official!
When I first hear the Penon BS1 Official, I cannot quite believe the stage presence along with its matured & natural sound.
Now, the Penon BS1 Official is my go-to earbud. I feel slightly guilty for leaving my other earbuds aside. :sweat_smile:

photo_2017-12-10_23-14-44.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back