Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #28,426 of 75,244
The Heavenly Sounds Genesis and King Interlude, both Willsound Mk1 and 2, ABnormal Duotres, ELi Vajiac, and Earbud Thailand Black Lion are all MX500 shells and measured 16.9mm, though the Lion was 16.8mm. Shell batch size probably varies slightly. I think all of the others I have are probably MX500 shells as well.

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #28,427 of 75,244
Cool...thanks. I will do mine tomorrow...busy today throwing away loads of iem and bud packaging. Too bad about all the headphone boxes in the attic :frowning2:

I do find the Seahf slightly more comfortable than the Monk...something is not quite the same. My graphene (new) does feel the same as my Monks.

I have not yet spent time with either of my Tonekings. Sometimes I wish I did not have so much stuff.
Right I know I good fix for that! Just send all your extra gear my way for safe keeping :wink:

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #28,428 of 75,244
It would be incredibly difficult to say the least. The drivers are either glued or press fit into the front piece somehow and require some force to remove. The dilema is using enough force to pry the driver out without damaging it. You could try a heat gun/hair dryer to help if it’s glued.

Although I recommend a different method where you have the driver/front piece removed from the rest of the shell, you may be able to use a pliers and cutters to break pieces off the edge of the front piece until the driver has nothing to grip into and you can remove it that way. Basically taking away small pieces of the front shell until the driver is liberated.

Although the main issue with that is stopping the diaphragm and voice coil separating from the body of the driver. Also be careful not to sever the tiny wire connecting the coil to the body of the wire... It’s so easily broken and then your driver is deadzo....

Honestly I tried DIY’ing 3 of my budget earbuds before like this and I destroyed 2 in the process... And I’m relatively capable at DIY...

So unless you’ve got master class skill at disassembling small objects it’s gonna be a difficult task at hand... But good luck lol!

But maybe someone else has a good method to share? @DBaldock9 has many diy earbud parts he may know a thing or two.
My zen 2.0 cable gave up right where it exits one of the buds, after some ~2years of use. The cable is still in one piece but the damage is visible even from the outside which makes little sense as I know the cable is tough from past experience and if it would have been caused by regular use I would have expected to see something on the other side as well but it looks like new.
Anyway, I was hoping the rewire them but even with heat applied the zen's shell cracked, both parts of it. The drivers are in one piece and they work just fine so I thought I'll just use the shell from some cheap mx500, which open easily without cracking, but then I realised I don't know how to take the cheap driver out of the housing when the housing is intact so I ended up ordering new shells and now I'm waiting to see if I can put the driver without damaging it.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #28,429 of 75,244
Surprised the monk and seahf measure differently, one would assume all mx500 buds share the same dimensions! Although I heard it before I was still skeptical lol.

Can you even notice a 0.1mm difference? It is probably due to a different plastic thickness.

I have also noticed size inconsistencies with the MX500 shell, my Monk+ and Vido fit my ears pretty well but my TY HI-Z 32 has a more snug fit.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #28,430 of 75,244
nvm

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #28,431 of 75,244
Am I the only one enjoying their Monk lite 120's? I'm talking nicely amped of course. I really like them. Any other impressions.. good or bad?
So good :wink:
P80218-120231-001.jpg

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #28,432 of 75,244
(Initially posted in the budget earbuds thread before realizing what I'm willing to pay might extend past the scope of that thread)

After 7 years my MX880's are finally starting to die and I'm looking for something new to replace them with. I enjoy listening to a variety of genres including alternative rock (Paramore, Nano, Skillet, Fireflight), symphonic metal (Kamelot, Apocalyptica, Within Temptation), electropop (Imogen Heap, Ellie Goulding, Owl City), orchestra/soundtrack (Two Steps From Hell, Sawano Hiroyuki, Kanno Yugo), and various forms of electronic (Above & Beyond, eDIT, Klaypex, Feint, MrSuicideSheep mixes). I'm not really familiar with sound descriptive terms, but I think I'm looking for something on the warm/balanced side of things. Budget-wise lower would be nice, but I'm willing to go up to ~$100 if it's worth it and will last (not really looking to replace every year).

Reviews of the Penon BS1 have caught my eye though I haven't really looked at others yet

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #28,436 of 75,244
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #28,437 of 75,244
(Initially posted in the budget earbuds thread before realizing what I'm willing to pay might extend past the scope of that thread)

After 7 years my MX880's are finally starting to die and I'm looking for something new to replace them with. I enjoy listening to a variety of genres including alternative rock (Paramore, Nano, Skillet, Fireflight), symphonic metal (Kamelot, Apocalyptica, Within Temptation), electropop (Imogen Heap, Ellie Goulding, Owl City), orchestra/soundtrack (Two Steps From Hell, Sawano Hiroyuki, Kanno Yugo), and various forms of electronic (Above & Beyond, eDIT, Klaypex, Feint, MrSuicideSheep mixes). I'm not really familiar with sound descriptive terms, but I think I'm looking for something on the warm/balanced side of things. Budget-wise lower would be nice, but I'm willing to go up to ~$100 if it's worth it and will last (not really looking to replace every year).

Reviews of the Penon BS1 have caught my eye though I haven't really looked at others yet
Can you handle some treble? And what’s your source? You may love the toneking tomahawk if your source has a warmer smoother presentation to balance out the tomahawk’s colder bright nature. It sounds amazing with metal/electronic and synthised music.

I think you would really love it with the right source. Especially considering your listening preferences. It may only be $35 but sometimes price is less important than pairing and the right signature for your music. This thing performs on the right gear with the right music like a boss.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #28,438 of 75,244
Guys in the Sub $100 iem thread, some members are trying a "sideways insertion" of their earbuds to apparently great effect. I tried this and saw no benefit in my case, fiddly, less resolution and thinner bass, nevertheless I wanted to make you aware of it in case some of you hadn´t seen it and notice an improvement:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ssions-sharing-reference-list.805930/page-468 post#7016

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ssions-sharing-reference-list.805930/page-469 post#7027, 7028

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #28,439 of 75,244
Guys in the Sub $100 iem thread, some members are trying a "sideways insertion" of their earbuds to apparently great effect. I tried this and saw no benefit in my case, fiddly, less resolution and thinner bass, nevertheless I wanted to make you aware of it in case some of you hadn´t seen it and notice an improvement:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ssions-sharing-reference-list.805930/page-468 post#7016

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ssions-sharing-reference-list.805930/page-469 post#7027, 7028

It does not work for me either. In fact it is physically impossible for me. But I was thinking that the info should be shared here. Thanks for doing that. Maybe some of the posters in this thread can post pictures if they are successful. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #28,440 of 75,244

Are you sure you are doing it correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back