Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 5, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #20,506 of 75,462
Ok folks finally got my monks.

While I think they are good, and definitely provide value for their costs (and, uhm, foams now for years with the Ex-Pack, I must have 50+ something foams now..lol), I think I'd slightly prefer the SH3800s, now speaking from my subjective sound preference. (I am a total "V Man", now speaking in EQ language :) Bass is sufficient w/ the monks (with EQ), and driver matching is good. Can't complain really.

But I *would* prefer the SHE3800s simply because their bass is punchier, more subbass I guess with less need for EQing to get there, again this is subjective, for others the bass of the SHE3800 is just way over the top (which I don't even want to argue, it's insane).

The BIG problem with the SHE3800s however is their build quality. The first set of my SHEs basically blew after 8 days just because I had them a little too loud by mistake (yeah blowing or sucking air on the drivers, I tried this to fix them, but didn't help)...and the other set of SHEs (although this was the one I modded) has TERRIBLE mismatched drivers. Not sure whether this was already before I modded them, anyway I did a test with them using an online tone generator, and basically a good range around 6k vanishes from the right driver. 6k sinus is literally gone. So basically, if you do a simple test of earbuds w/ a frequency sweep and sound disappearing like this..not good.

I still didn't buy/test the Qian39 tho. I can imagine them being good if they can deliver punch like the "Philips", maybe a tad less overdone, and then with better build quality. Even if the SHE3800 had initially the "best" sound for me, I can't recommend them if they don't last longer than a week. So, winner so far, overall, the Monks. Not "spectacular", but then maybe for the price, yes.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #20,507 of 75,462
Any recommendation for a 1-100$ earbud with good round thick bass and nice layering, details and soundstage that will suit well complex bassy Electronic Music?????

None in my collection can be use for electronic....I even begin to think it's impossible to achieve with earbud, but there 2 drivers one and hifi stuff...just wonder if in sub-100$ something exist.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Electronic music usually goes well with a sound signature that is heavier on bass and treble but a little recessed on the mid - a v-shaped sound, so to speak.

Well in my opinion, ty hi-z 32s perform quite well when plying back EDM track as it has the most bass out of all of my collections.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #20,508 of 75,462
Any recommendation for a 1-100$ earbud with good round thick bass and nice layering, details and soundstage that will suit well complex bassy Electronic Music?????

None in my collection can be use for electronic....I even begin to think it's impossible to achieve with earbud, but there 2 drivers one and hifi stuff...just wonder if in sub-100$ something exist.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Ostry kc08t

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #20,509 of 75,462
Well in my opinion, ty hi-z 32s perform quite well when plying back EDM track as it has the most bass out of all of my collections.

Thanks for advice....but I already got them and do not fall in love with it, perhaps I should burn them in more...and find them too in my mountain of earphone-earbuds.

About eaburds, I do not search for a ''compromise'' here, but a real performer that will have a good sound layering and quite clear soundstage that have dedicated bass, mid and highs performance...I search to find the sensation of hearing I have with big speaker around me, need to feel some kick and hear some sub rumble, have wide mids (if possible) and good treble extension and details retreival. Mrz Tomohawk still are the only earbud to provide real wow effect that do not feel bloated at some point, sound is airy and have air between instruments too wich is rarely the case with the earbuds I have that feel too fowards and ''monochrome''.

IEM have no trouble to provide round bass...even for a non-bass head, jazz can sound boring without low end extension:frowning2:

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #20,510 of 75,462
Ostry kc08t

OH, big thank, they look very interesting but is it possible to find them under 100$? and if so....please tell mate.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #20,511 of 75,462
Thanks for advice....but I already got them and do not fall in love with it, perhaps I should burn them in more...and find them too in my mountain of earphone-earbuds.

About eaburds, I do not search for a ''compromise'' here, but a real performer that will have a good sound layering and quite clear soundstage that have dedicated bass, mid and highs performance...I search to find the sensation of hearing I have with big speaker around me, need to feel some kick and hear some sub rumble, have wide mids (if possible) and good treble extension and details retreival. Mrz Tomohawk still are the only earbud to provide real wow effect that do not feel bloated at some point, sound is airy and have air between instruments too wich is rarely the case with the earbuds I have that feel too fowards and ''monochrome''.

IEM have no trouble to provide round bass...even for a non-bass head, jazz can sound boring without low end extension:frowning2:

I see...well I will make it short...it sound a little in my face and at first I did find the highs to be a little bright. But after burning it in, those harshness were gone. Now the biggest problem is its bass....well not trying to complain since it sounds airly but I find it to be a little too "boosted" to suit those classical songs.

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #20,512 of 75,462
Ok folks finally got my monks.

While I think they are good, and definitely provide value for their costs (and, uhm, foams now for years with the Ex-Pack, I must have 50+ something foams now..lol), I think I'd slightly prefer the SH3800s, now speaking from my subjective sound preference. (I am a total "V Man", now speaking in EQ language :) Bass is sufficient w/ the monks (with EQ), and driver matching is good. Can't complain really.

But I *would* prefer the SHE3800s simply because their bass is punchier, more subbass I guess with less need for EQing to get there, again this is subjective, for others the bass of the SHE3800 is just way over the top (which I don't even want to argue, it's insane).

The BIG problem with the SHE3800s however is their build quality. The first set of my SHEs basically blew after 8 days just because I had them a little too loud by mistake (yeah blowing or sucking air on the drivers, I tried this to fix them, but didn't help)...and the other set of SHEs (although this was the one I modded) has TERRIBLE mismatched drivers. Not sure whether this was already before I modded them, anyway I did a test with them using an online tone generator, and basically a good range around 6k vanishes from the right driver. 6k sinus is literally gone. So basically, if you do a simple test of earbuds w/ a frequency sweep and sound disappearing like this..not good.

I still didn't buy/test the Qian39 tho. I can imagine them being good if they can deliver punch like the "Philips", maybe a tad less overdone, and then with better build quality. Even if the SHE3800 had initially the "best" sound for me, I can't recommend them if they don't last longer than a week. So, winner so far, overall, the Monks. Not "spectacular", but then maybe for the price, yes.

Try Vido. I think you'll like them more than your SHE3800 :wink:

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #20,514 of 75,462
Got Vido with Mic. Good but I am feeling that the one without mic has some more details than with mic. It seems to be some beats and thumps are missing in Mic version. Not sure if this is initial feeling and with some usage, it will sound same like without mic one. Did anyone notice this?

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #20,516 of 75,462
Try Vido. I think you'll like them more than your SHE3800 :wink:
Do they sell them on ebay or gearbest? Don't wanna deal with Ali.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #20,519 of 75,462
The EB200 just landed - amazing for the price. For any price. The looks...nothing special, but the soundstage is wide, high, resolution warm, accurate bass, overall warm sound. Before buying a TOTL earbud you may want to check them out. Maasaki Suzuku Bach, Motorhead, various electronic music, Indie, we have an allrounder here.

By the way, I got EPK1 and will be selling in the marketplace soon for a good price. I listened to them for about 10 minutes and not needed since redundant. PM if interested, US only.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #20,520 of 75,462
What would you compare EB200 with? Did you try with the zishan z1? I was afraid it would be too warm to my taste. At the end, I never use pk2 from Nicehck. I'd like an improved version of Epk1 personally. btw, feel free to burn Epk1 for 100hr or something to get rid of harshness.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back