Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 6, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #68,221 of 75,573
Yeah, there IS that factor too (I guess I forgot about that). You are right, these are probably more position sensitive with sound than any other earbud I have heard. Fortunately, everyone I know that has them is able to get a good fit. Personally I think Sony is a bit ahead of their time with these. You watch, someone will re-release something like these down the road, and they will be a big hit.
I hope so!
And Samsung Galaxy buds live
Right! The peanuts! I wanted to like those too. They were waaaay more comfortable for me than the Linkbuds. More comfortable than almost any IEM/earbud actually. But they sounded so weak...

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #68,222 of 75,573
Oh look, Sony does have a new thing just announced. Can you call this a Linkbuds successor? I think I would call this more of a headphone than an earbud.

1675688161781.png

https://www.sony.com/en-ga/headphones/products/float-run

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #68,224 of 75,573
Hi friends!

Thought I'd post here so you all could have first dibs.

Selling my asura 3.0fe (4.4mm termination) like new for 100 shipped in the US (posting on classifieds for 110)! Shipping elsewhere available at cost.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #68,225 of 75,573
Not to sound contradictory here (apologies if I do) but the Sounpeat Air3 Deluxe isn't a flathead earbud, it is a semi-in-ear (just like the Airpods/Earpods). AFAIK, Sony is the only company to produce a true flathead earbud that is TWS to this point (though I haven't participated in the TWS thread for some time, and things could have changed since then). Generally speaking, with the semi-in-ear design these can/do sound more like an IEM because of the directed sound, while still remaining (mostly) open in nature.

Sorry for sounding contradictory (I'll admit that I do), but IMO this is a misconception. From an acoustic pov, the distinction is not to make between flathead earbuds on the one hand and semi-in-ears or IEMs on the other hand. It's rather between open ear-canal phones on the one hand (which consist of flatheads, semi-in-ears and ring-drivers like the Sony) and canal-sealing IEMs on the other hand.

Because in terms of ear-canal acoustics, it seems largely irrelevant to me whether your sound source is a flathead, semi-in-ear or ring-driver. As long as the opening isn't blocked, ear canal behavior will follow pretty much the same acoustic rules. Acoustics only change significantly with IEMs and blocked canals, because then we get direct coupling to the tympanic membrane (piston-like movement), half-wave instead of quarter-wave resonances and last not least, occlusion effects.

I understand that there may be subjective reasons to feel that semi-in-ears are closer to IEMs than flatheads. But IMHO, I don't think that this distinction would withstand close objective examination.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #68,226 of 75,573
After trying most of budget earbuds in last 2 years, I can say the RY4s Plus is still among the best value in earbuds (it can be excellent when retuned).
I've tried the pk2 only briefly.... it sounded fine to me (little less V-shape sig when compared to RY4s Plus), but I think it is overpriced.

PS: Your Yuin pk2 might be easy to repair, just find someone with soldering skills....
Hello, sfrsfr! Thank you for your response I apreciatte. :smile: I'm already using the ry4s and I must say that I'm enjoying a lot. It feels as powerful as the pk2 I had but being in a much lower price range that's really good.
My only problem with my listening experience I had until now is comfort wise. The mx500 shell did not fit good in my ears and the heaviness of the 8 core cable (if I don't hang them) keeps moving the buds around my ears and pushing down when I turn my head around. So I stuffed the foam I use on the the buds with a little cotton (on one side of each bud) and put the cord around my neck (the buds are coming from behind my head and the cord is hanging on my shoulder. Right now I'm really enjoying how it turns out:beyersmile:
As for my broken pk2 I hope someday I will find someone with soldering skills or I start to learn that. I already have seen some helpful sources. But for now the RY4S is being a really good replacement.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #68,227 of 75,573
Hi, everyone! I've moved my entire bud collection to 4.4mm and am selling my remaining pairs of 3.5mm buds (Newbsound 32x - $60 and Shozy BK - $105, shipped). Let me know if interested!

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #68,228 of 75,573
Feb 6, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #68,230 of 75,573
Oh, I wasn't trying to talk you into anything at all. Just sharing my thoughts. If you love the Soundpeats, stick with them bro. They may be "best" for your ears. :)

I think that the Linkbuds were considered a failure (except maybe to wierdos like me :)), because they aren't IEMs like most TWS are (which angered the TWS community, because most times they don't want totally open, they want as much noise cancelling as they can get), and while they are true flatheads in nature, flatheads are still conssidered a niche product, and most people that love those, aren't really into TWS. The linkbuds weren't even out 6 months before Sony released the Linkbuds 2, which weren't the same thing at all. They were IEM TWS.....
I like my Linkbuds and ended up getting the LinkBuds S too. The LinkBuds S are small, light weight and sound pretty darn good.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #68,231 of 75,573
I've ordered the Shozy bkse
I ordered the Shozy Cygnus from Penon like a couple days before the BKSE was announced here. I already have the Shozy BK, so I wonder if the BKSE will sound better or just different than the BK. You probably have the BK already(?). If you do have the BK, let us know how the BKSE and BK compare to each other.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #68,234 of 75,573
Got the ToneKing TO200 today. Pretty darn good! They fit great. They take about 15 clicks more volume than average on my HiBy R6 2020. Decent note weight and bass extension on these for sure.

Have you heard either the TO400 or TO600 that you can compare them to? I really like the TO600, but I find the TO400 to be pretty bland so I was kinda hoping you could tell me which one the TO200 sounds more like.

Anyways, congrats on the new shinies! 🤘🎉😎

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #68,235 of 75,573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back