Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #68,237 of 75,575
Anyone bought Zen 3.0?
the Link Buds S is one of the best value TWS ever one...it is like tws version of Yinman 600
I have the Zen 3.0. Still on the burn rack, though. Initial impressions were wow mini headphones.
20230126_192833.jpg

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #68,238 of 75,575
Hey fellas, I have the opportunity to snag some Sennheiser MX985s tomorrow for €175 in excellent condition. Would you buy or pass if you were me and why?

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #68,239 of 75,575
So far so good with the TO200. I’m listening to the LA Confidential score (Goldsmith) and it’s great. The phones have a big, open sound to them with really good placement and separation. The soundstage is wide tall and deep. Note weight is solid and they have a lot of rich mid-bass. Sub bass is there but they roll off quicker than the X6. The upper mids and treble are both controlled and full sounding. They could extend a little deeper into the treble but the fact that they don’t actually benefits the overall signature.

They’re good, y’all. Not bass head, but absolutely serviceable. They’re rich and lively without being overly V shaped. I like them.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #68,240 of 75,575
Hey fellas, I have the opportunity to snag some Sennheiser MX985s tomorrow for €175 in excellent condition. Would you buy or pass if you were me and why?
Buy: they are legendary. An early attempt at the ultimate. Who knows, there's a chance they still are just that. I think it would be silly to pass them up with your collection.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #68,241 of 75,575
Buy: they are legendary. An early attempt at the ultimate. Who knows, there's a chance they still are just that. I think it would be silly to pass them up with your collection.

This is what I was thinking, but I have zero experience with the Sennheiser stuff. Aside from my Aiwa HP-V99s and some Sony MDR-E888s I have no experience with the older/vintage buds at all. Based on reputation and what I see they have gone for in the recent past from searching on Hifishark, I think they're a good deal and based on reviews I think there's a pretty good chance I'll actually like them too. 👍😎

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #68,242 of 75,575

How are the Sennheiser earbuds in terms of sonic performance?

For their headphones, some are legendary and have already been out for decades but are still routinely recommended and used (eg Senn HD650). But for their IEMs, I've really not been impressed TBH, quite a few have boomy bass and a veiled sound, and a lot of CHIFI IEMs kill them in terms of price-to-performance ratio.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #68,243 of 75,575
Hello, sfrsfr! Thank you for your response I apreciatte. :smile: I'm already using the ry4s and I must say that I'm enjoying a lot. It feels as powerful as the pk2 I had but being in a much lower price range that's really good.
My only problem with my listening experience I had until now is comfort wise. The mx500 shell did not fit good in my ears and the heaviness of the 8 core cable (if I don't hang them) keeps moving the buds around my ears and pushing down when I turn my head around. So I stuffed the foam I use on the the buds with a little cotton (on one side of each bud) and put the cord around my neck (the buds are coming from behind my head and the cord is hanging on my shoulder. Right now I'm really enjoying how it turns out:beyersmile:
As for my broken pk2 I hope someday I will find someone with soldering skills or I start to learn that. I already have seen some helpful sources. But for now the RY4S is being a really good replacement.
I fully agree on the comfort - I have the same issue. The [MX500 shells+mmcx female connectors+mmcx male connectors] together create far too long stem and most 8-core cables are too heavy to wear cable-down. You solved the issue in probably the only feasible way (due to the long stem it's not a good fit for wearing over-ear).

Btw. just to clarify: do you have the RY4s Plus or RY4s (they are not the same) ?

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #68,244 of 75,575
They don't fit my ears that good, too big/bulky. Almost all other buds I have tried fit me better. So I sold it of years ago.
But they sound good 😁

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #68,246 of 75,575
Hi, everyone! I've moved my entire bud collection to 4.4mm and am selling my remaining pairs of 3.5mm buds (Newbsound 32x - $60 and Shozy BK - $105, shipped). Let me know if interested!
I got the Shozy BK with 4.4mm from Penon some time ago. I admit the 4.4mm is a little overkill for a 16Ω set of buds... but it's the "ultimate". If you like the BK, you can always change them from 3.5mm to 4.4mm.

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #68,247 of 75,575
I got the Shozy BK with 4.4mm from Penon some time ago. I admit the 4.4mm is a little overkill for a 16Ω set of buds... but it's the "ultimate". If you like the BK, you can always change them from 3.5mm to 4.4mm.
I ended up ordering the 4.4mm version from Penon a while back, so the 3.5 is no longer needed, especially since I'm also in the process of selling my SE portable sources. Balanced is definitely overkill for these buds, but they sound great with the Amp14 in my DX320!

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #68,249 of 75,575
They don't fit my ears that good, too big/bulky. Almost all other buds I have tried fit me better. So I sold it of years ago.
But they sound good 😁

Awesome! Thanks for the detail. I'm gonna go ahead and pick them up. If I don't like them I'm sure I can sell them for what I paid and walk away unscathed. Plus, €175 doesn't seem like much to try one of the legendary pairs of buds from the past. I also think they look pretty cool. 😎

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #68,250 of 75,575
Awesome! Thanks for the detail. I'm gonna go ahead and pick them up. If I don't like them I'm sure I can sell them for what I paid and walk away unscathed. Plus, €175 doesn't seem like much to try one of the legendary pairs of buds from the past. I also think they look pretty cool. 😎
Yep, should be no problem selling them if needed 😁 I love the look of them, they are beautiful. I bought them new before they got discontinued, only 100$, that's good value 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back