Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #64,516 of 75,874
Also, there might be some really good resources (and discussions) over on the "Sound Science" part of the forum. :)

Will have a look. I must admit I am not overly fond to go there because the overly zealous attitude of some members in “audio science” forums are … annoying. Say, I have nothing but respect for knowledgeable people (at least from my layman perspective) like Amir, Solderdude, or Oratory1990. In fact, I read everything I can on a website about modding headphones, only to realise later that Solderdude is the author

But some folks who reply to in forums? Jezz. @JAnonymous5150 might have seen the mess of “all amp sound the same” on Reddit in the last couple days. Some folks seem to think that anyone who pay more than peanuts for audio are dumb.

Btw, I’m shocked that the ancient looking textbook that I download describe planar magnetic (orthodynamic) and electro static headphones in details :dt880smile: . In my layman mind, those are spanking new techs.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #64,517 of 75,874
Will have a look. I must admit I am not overly fond to go there because the overly zealous attitude of some members in “audio science” forums are … annoying. Say, I have nothing but respect for knowledgeable people (at least from my layman perspective) like Amir, Solderdude, or Oratory1990. In fact, I read everything I can on a website about modding headphones, only to realise later that Solderdude is the author

But some folks who reply to in forums? Jezz. @JAnonymous5150 might have seen the mess of “all amp sound the same” on Reddit in the last couple days. Some folks seem to think that anyone who pay more than peanuts for audio are dumb.

Btw, I’m shocked that the ancient looking textbook that I download describe planar magnetic (orthodynamic) and electro static headphones in details :dt880smile: . In my layman mind, those are spanking new techs.

The "problem" with the r/headphones subreddit is that it has largely been taken over by folks with consumer audio backgrounds and tastes and has thus become a self-affirming echo chamber of beliefs that tend to "justify" the consumer market friendly ideas they're comfortable with. Being an "audiophile" who is willing to spend top dollar for the diminishing returns that are necessary to gain that last highest level of performance has always been bad-mouthed as elitist which isn't helped at all by the many elitist snobs who are often the most outspoken "audiophiles."

On that sub if it can't be read on a graph it doesn't exist. If you personally can't hear the difference and can get enough upvoters who can't hear a difference either then there is no difference. Let's face it, when you're uncomfortable with the idea that you may have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to get the best audio performance to begin with and then you find people saying that the expensive stuff is "snake oil" it's very attractive to believe that perspective because it allows you to stay in your consumer comfort zone, call yourself an "audiophile," and appear to come from a highly informed place of advanced knowledge and intelligence without having to spend money, experiment, take risks, or be intellectually rigorous.

The fact of the matter is that the VAST majority of people who claim anything about high end gear, good or bad, on that sub have little to no experience with said gear. Do I think there is a lot of elitist snake oil salesmanship that goes on in niche audiophile products? Absolutely! Do I also think that there is a ton of consumer biased spin out there meant to appeal to people by appearing to give them access to the best of the best with no added cost? Absolutely! The truth is somewhere in yhe middle where higher end gear often is better, but some of the most expensive stuff is meant to cater purely to those spending for status and gatekeeping purposes or out of their own ignorance.

In the end, I have been staying away from reddit for a few reasons and one is because the subs I used to like have generally become negative, ignorant places where people seek out confrontation based on ignorance and a lack of acceptance. All amps don't sound the same, all DACs don't sound the same, and if I want to drop a few grand on something you think doesn't sound any better than your $100 version then who cares?!?! You still win in your mind thinking I'm an elitist audiophile who got scammed and you're the smart guy who found the budget gem and I still think I have the best there is. Everyone goes home happy. Yay.

This probably made no sense, but it would have taken 20 more pages for me to explain better. I'll end the rant now.

BTW, I also can't use my reddit account right now because my record label wants to review it to make sure I have been abiding by my contract so I can't sign on until they're done. Damn lawyers...

Edit: And yeah, despite the recent hype around planars and electrostats, both have been around for decades. Though their implementation, design, and performance have been improved and are getting better.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #64,518 of 75,874

Audiophile hobby and drama/controversy seems destined to be together. thankfully I have never seen in this forum, but in reddit, facebook groups and discord, I have seen a non stop arguing and bickering for something dumb.

To the point that I afraid of asking newbies audiophile questions in fear of backlash. Luckily this forum we have number of audiophile expert that willing to share their thoughts without sounding judgemental. I do appreciate that

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #64,519 of 75,874
Didn't realize that Japan's best-selling cable maker Nobunaga Labs had released an earbud in July.

FW-BvgXVUAAy5XC

FXnQ-7TaQAAV_Sr

FcLfRMyaMAItof0

The design seems pretty original...?

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #64,520 of 75,874
Didn't realize that Japan's best-selling cable maker Nobunaga Labs had released an earbud in July.

FW-BvgXVUAAy5XC

FXnQ-7TaQAAV_Sr

FcLfRMyaMAItof0

If they are Nobunaga, then they are most likely to be ruthless killer Samurai warrior buds. J/k.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #64,521 of 75,874

FW-BvgXVUAAy5XC

FXnQ-7TaQAAV_Sr

FcLfRMyaMAItof0

Excellent find!

I have a few Nobunaga cables. Well they are quite nice haptically but a few of them have deal-breaking microphonics, so I hope this doesn't suffer from the same issue (though this earbud seems detachable so no biggie swapping another cable if so).

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #64,522 of 75,874
If they are Nobunaga, then they are most likely to be ruthless killer Samurai warrior buds. J/k.

I prefer cowabunga!

J/K and these buds look pretty cool! Has anyone come across any reviews or anything?

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #64,523 of 75,874
Excellent find!

I have a few Nobunaga cables. Well they are quite nice haptically but a few of them have deal-breaking microphonics, so I hope this doesn't suffer from the same issue (though this earbud seems detachable so no biggie swapping another cable if so).

I can't find them on the Nobunaga Labs site. Can anyone direct your friendly village idiot (me) to them?

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #64,524 of 75,874
Sep 9, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #64,525 of 75,874
Sep 9, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #64,526 of 75,874
No worries. Sorry for offending you, intentionally or otherwise. It’s never my intention, of course. Eager to learn more from all of you experienced folks! I got an acoustic engineering book to try to learn but can’t quite wrap my head around. I certainly dislike the trial and error way that I do with these buds and the unreliable measurements. That’s why I say “new found respect for DIYer and manufacturers”. Let’s put this aside and move on. We are friendly audio geeks :ksc75smile:

Back to earbuds: the 64 ohm Ti driver is so good, technical wise. I’m in awe. Highly recommended, especially with vent + filter.
I didn’t actually take any offense—sorry that got put out there the wrong way. I mean my first, knee-jerk react was like “^*$#, why wouldn’t this guy believe me? I’ve done this countless times and I’m freely offering help for no benefit to myself…” but I didn’t mean for it to sound like I was offended. I didn’t think you wanted to be offensive. I just shouldn’t have replied when I really didn’t have time to express myself clearly and I hadn’t drank my coffee. This is why I get annoyed with text communication. If I take the time, nuances are possible. When I am in a hurry, I have to be more clever with my words. It’s easier if I just write in a very conversational manner, but I was tortured in English class by a professor who would slash your paper if you used one unnecessary syllable. I’ve been fighting it since the beginning.

I actually think it’s useful to do trial and error. Even if you have to buy a few shells for white mice. You’ll learn a lot that way—especially if you graph the changes and do things systematically. If you keep posting your trials, you’ll likely see other people incorporating your work 😂. It wouldn’t be the first time. That’s why the DIY earbuds thread died: people’s designs ended up in other people’s wares(long before @RikudouGoku got into DIY—so don’t think I’m pointing fingers at him or @tgx78). Your graphs are seriously very good. Better than the vast majority of the ones out there. Using the FiiO FF3 as a reference is certainly very useful. Of the commercial buds I’ve graphed, it’s closest to neutral.

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #64,527 of 75,874
Also, there might be some really good resources (and discussions) over on the "Sound Science" part of the forum. :)

See the post after... :beerchug:
I’ve looked around over there, but things get intensely pedantic as you can imagine. Ruins it for me as most topics get derailed into bickering over semantics. Well, at least that’s how it was the last time I checked, but it’s been a while.

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #64,528 of 75,874
I’ve looked around over there, but things get intensely pedantic as you can imagine. Ruins it for me as most topics get derailed into bickering over semantics. Well, at least that’s how it was the last time I checked, but it’s been a while.

It was still very much like that a few weeks ago. Plenty to learn from some smart folks, but the BS you have to wade through in what seems like every thread kills it for me too. I don't have too much BS in my life to voluntarily read through more lol!

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #64,529 of 75,874

FW-BvgXVUAAy5XC

FXnQ-7TaQAAV_Sr

FcLfRMyaMAItof0

COMING SOON - Nobunaga Labs 鶯 <<Uguisu>> Nightingale; ??Ω (mmcx)

The Uguisu has not been released yet. They are still just exhibiting and previewing it... probably still at a pre-production R&D stage perhaps. Here is a post from Nobunaga today about it.

1662708964831.png

https://twitter.com/NOBUNAGA__Labs

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #64,530 of 75,874
I'm really having very little time lately, although reading and reading this thread is something that I always do and that I like.
@JAnonymous5150 I am pretty sure that the beauty can be applied to me the same way as to the back of a kitchen fridge LOL

Although I hardly have time for anything, it is true that a few weeks ago I made a bud that I am especially proud of, it is a 600 Ohm Bery that enters directly into my headphone stable as number one, of course keep in mind that my tastes are strange , like me!!!!!!

1662710955655.jpg

Coincidentally or not, it seems, I find my personal Olympus with these three, and they're all high-impedance. As @WoodyLuvr says these are my god tier:

1662711009118.jpg

I just wish no one feels sad that the issue is not related to FF3..... LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back