Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 9, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #64,546 of 75,878
I didn’t actually take any offense—sorry that got put out there the wrong way. I mean my first, knee-jerk react was like “^*$#, why wouldn’t this guy believe me? I’ve done this countless times and I’m freely offering help for no benefit to myself…” but I didn’t mean for it to sound like I was offended. I didn’t think you wanted to be offensive. I just shouldn’t have replied when I really didn’t have time to express myself clearly and I hadn’t drank my coffee. This is why I get annoyed with text communication. If I take the time, nuances are possible. When I am in a hurry, I have to be more clever with my words. It’s easier if I just write in a very conversational manner, but I was tortured in English class by a professor who would slash your paper if you used one unnecessary syllable. I’ve been fighting it since the beginning.

I actually think it’s useful to do trial and error. Even if you have to buy a few shells for white mice. You’ll learn a lot that way—especially if you graph the changes and do things systematically. If you keep posting your trials, you’ll likely see other people incorporating your work 😂. It wouldn’t be the first time. That’s why the DIY earbuds thread died: people’s designs ended up in other people’s wares(long before @RikudouGoku got into DIY—so don’t think I’m pointing fingers at him or @tgx78). Your graphs are seriously very good. Better than the vast majority of the ones out there. Using the FiiO FF3 as a reference is certainly very useful. Of the commercial buds I’ve graphed, it’s closest to neutral.
I'm chiming in with zero understanding of context, just because I see 3 keywords that perk my interest -- RikudouGoku, tgx78, and graphs.

I struggle to keep up-to-date on this thread. I blame @RikudouGoku and @tgx78. Between their offerings all my earbud needs have been met for this lifetime. I can now die a happy man. :)

re: graphs, we all know graphs and earbuds will forever have an adversarial existence, and yet I encourage anyone/everyone to go on that journey. Lots of learning and frustration. :)

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #64,547 of 75,878
Something to chew on for you guys waiting on your M4 deliveries.

Look at the Super One FR and the ST20Pro FR, they look exactly the same. Super One is supposed to be the Smabat bass king, while the ST20Pro is supposed to be brighter, but the graphs don't indicate that. I gave my impressions of both the ST10S, which is U shaped and the ST20Pro, which definitely has less bass impact and is brighter than the ST10S, but sounds more balanced (to my ears anyway).

ST10S FR graph.png

Super One FR graph.png

ST20Pro FR graph.png

ST20 FR graph.png

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #64,549 of 75,878
Something to chew on for you guys waiting on your M4 deliveries.

Look at the Super One FR and the ST20Pro FR, they look exactly the same. Super One is supposed to be the Smabat bass king, while the ST20Pro is supposed to be brighter, but the graphs don't indicate that. I gave my impressions of both the ST10S, which is U shaped and the ST20Pro, which definitely has less bass impact and is brighter than the ST10S, but sounds more balanced (to my ears anyway).

ST10S FR graph.png

Super One FR graph.png

ST20Pro FR graph.png

ST20 FR graph.png
Pls compare 150 TI with Super One

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #64,550 of 75,878
I know you didn't ask me, but I have to say that I much prefer the FF3s to the Chaconnes. I only kept the Chaconnes for about a month and then moved them. Though I will also say that the FF3s and the Chaconnes are two very different earbuds.

I may be in the minority in saying this, but I think there are earbuds out there that are similar to the Chaconnes in sound sig, but are better executed to varying degrees. The Yincrow RW3000s for example, provide a similar sound signature that actually fills out better and provides more detail, IMO. The FF3s, as I have said before, have a huge presentation that imparts such power to the music and I haven't heard another bud that equals it
Thanks for your reply, just saw it. Well.. I love Moondrop house tuning, its very respectful of the source imho. I like the natural and organic feel of it, which is perfect for the type of music I listen to. So I would be looking exactly for that in earbuds. On the other hand I've never listen to a Fiio product, so don't know its tuning. How would you guys rate FF3's tuning compared to Chaconne?

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #64,551 of 75,878
Thanks for your reply, just saw it. Well.. I love Moondrop house tuning, its very respectful of the source imho. I like the natural and organic feel of it, which is perfect for the type of music I listen to. So I would be looking exactly for that in earbuds. On the other hand I've never listen to a Fiio product, so don't know its tuning. How would you guys rate FF3's tuning compared to Chaconne?

As I mentioned in the other post, the tuning of the FF3s is significantly different from the Chaconnes. The FF3s are a bassier, bolder, and more powerful tuning/presentation and are little less detailed overall. If you're looking for Moondrop's inoffensive, neutral/bright, somewhat bass light tuning the Chaconnes are the best example of it.

What I was trying to point out before was that the FF3s and the Chaconnes are VERY different, almost representing opposite approaches to earbud sound. With this in mind, choosing between the two should be relatively easy if your tuning preferences align with one side or the other.

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #64,552 of 75,878
I used to have Chaconne, it is heavy as hell, and not as comfortable as other earbuds. On the other hands, on I never read any uncomfortable issue with FF3. Rikubuds from @RikudouGoku has produce a line of earbuds, one of his earbuds Grand Rider is designed to emulate Chaconne tuning, at cheaper price, more comfortable housing, and said to have better sub-bass. Maybe you can look at one out.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #64,553 of 75,878
I used to have Chaconne, it is heavy as hell, and not as comfortable as other earbuds. On the other hands, on I never read any uncomfortable issue with FF3. Rikubuds from @RikudouGoku has produce a line of earbuds, one of his earbuds Grand Rider is designed to emulate Chaconne tuning, at cheaper price, more comfortable housing, and said to have better sub-bass. Maybe you can look at one out.
I have the bright-neutral Grand Archer from @RikudouGoku, and this is the bud he calls the "Chaconne killer." (I don't have the Chaconne to compare it to, but then why spend three times as much just to confirm it's not any better?) On his official database, he describes the Grand Rider as warm-neutral.

I can't imagine not loving either of them, but if you're specifically looking for Chaconne-like tuning, that's the Grand Archer.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #64,554 of 75,878
I'm chiming in with zero understanding of context, just because I see 3 keywords that perk my interest -- RikudouGoku, tgx78, and graphs.

I struggle to keep up-to-date on this thread. I blame @RikudouGoku and @tgx78. Between their offerings all my earbud needs have been met for this lifetime. I can now die a happy man. :)

re: graphs, we all know graphs and earbuds will forever have an adversarial existence, and yet I encourage anyone/everyone to go on that journey. Lots of learning and frustration. :)
Believe it or not, graphing has ended my frustration with headphones in general. It enables pinpointing problems painting fairly perfect pictures thereby allowing me to appreciate actual secondary and tertiary characteristics of drivers. The education and experience that came before that point was monumental however. Most people are not determined or enthusiastic enough to do it. Even companies profiting prodigiously peddling pipe dreams—perhaps they have their reasons. Education remains unpopular in spite of the evidence of its benefits.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #64,555 of 75,878
I have the bright-neutral Grand Archer from @RikudouGoku, and this is the bud he calls the "Chaconne killer." (I don't have the Chaconne to compare it to, but then why spend three times as much just to confirm it's not any better?) On his official database, he describes the Grand Rider as warm-neutral.

I can't imagine not loving either of them, but if you're specifically looking for Chaconne-like tuning, that's the Grand Archer.
sorry my bad haha.

p/s my grand archer is on its way from Sweden.. currently in the shipping across the sea.

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #64,556 of 75,878
Well my impatience got the best of me. While waiting for tgx's Alpha, Longyao Yinman, and Topping G5 to arrive (all stuck in customs or on a cargo plane somewhere), I bought a Grand Rider from Riku just to have another package from overseas to obsessively watch tracking for. :sweat_smile:

I love that earbuds are much better value than IEMs and headphones but I'm now realizing that doesn't mean I'll be able to save more money...

God help me...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #64,558 of 75,878

+Blur and I am right there with you. I feel like my next 2 and possibly final 2 will be the Serratus and a Lancer 1 to complement my Berserker 2 (loving this bud). Nearing the teens with my collection which means a few are not getting listened to anymore.. struggle is real.

HOWEVER, always hunting for a 4.4 Blur Wraith if anyone would want to sell theirs :) cmooon.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #64,559 of 75,878
+Blur and I am right there with you. I feel like my next 2 and possibly final 2 will be the Serratus and a Lancer 1 to complement my Berserker 2 (loving this bud). Nearing the teens with my collection which means a few are not getting listened to anymore.. struggle is real.

HOWEVER, always hunting for a 4.4 Blur Wraith if anyone would want to sell theirs :) cmooon.

Did you only ever have White Wraith? Part of me wants to say you had the original Wraith at some point?

Serratus is *thumbs up*. The Wraith has a narrower stage but resolution and timbre is as equally competitive - I've listened over weeks now and I can't decide which I prefer (maybe I don't need to prefer one or the other!). Serratus has greater bass emphasis though and more subbass extension but that doesn't matter a great deal for alot of my tracks.

Sep 9, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #64,560 of 75,878
Did you only ever have White Wraith? Part of me wants to say you had the original Wraith at some point?

Serratus is *thumbs up*. The Wraith has a narrower stage but resolution and timbre is as equally competitive - I've listened over weeks now and I can't decide which I prefer (maybe I don't need to prefer one or the other!). Serratus has greater bass emphasis though and more subbass extension but that doesn't matter a great deal for alot of my tracks.
No on the original Wraith, just the White Wraith, which I had Wong make this year. Heard nothing but good on the Serratus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back