Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 7, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #53,311 of 75,375
I see there has been an influx of people coming in with different expectations of what earbuds actually are. They are unlike headphones whereby you can have a closed back or open back version.

They also do not sit inside the ear canal at all, not even "semi". For those, one may as well go fully in ears with IEMs or customs.

The beauty of earbuds is their open sound through somewhat of an unobtrusive fit, however sacrificing some mid bass due to lack of isolation. Again, that was why IEMs were created and the market moved over from earbuds.

So choose between IEMs or Earbuds. Having something in between does not seem to serve any beneficial points at all? I.e. Somebody posted a so called Bose "closed back" earbuds a few days back, but could not recommend them for the sound. I think that speaks volumes of such a category and the restrictions of creating one.
You are right with your appointment. The sound rules of earbuds are different.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #53,312 of 75,375
I see there has been an influx of people coming in with different expectations of what earbuds actually are. They are unlike headphones whereby you can have a closed back or open back version.

They also do not sit inside the ear canal at all, not even "semi". For those, one may as well go fully in ears with IEMs or customs.

The beauty of earbuds is their open sound through somewhat of an unobtrusive fit, however sacrificing some mid bass due to lack of isolation. Again, that was why IEMs were created and the market moved over from earbuds.

So choose between IEMs or Earbuds. Having something in between does not seem to serve any beneficial points at all? I.e. Somebody posted a so called Bose "closed back" earbuds a few days back, but could not recommend them for the sound. I think that speaks volumes of such a category and the restrictions of creating one.

Yes agreed.
Earbuds are closer to open backed headphones than IEMs actually, in terms of soundstage.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #53,314 of 75,375
thanks both.
I would not epect great bass performance, i mostly listen to progressive rock and progressive metal but i dislike bass being too prominent. My focus is on big soundstage, clear details and overall balanced presentation.

therefore maybe to400 and Dendroaspis could be still ok. In between the two i cant choose now, but i will be using a fiio amp with my lg v20.
For rock progressive / space rock ... Dendroaspis is perfectly valid and enjoyable, I enjoy them in that musical genre on a daily basis.

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #53,315 of 75,375
thanks both.
I would not epect great bass performance, i mostly listen to progressive rock and progressive metal but i dislike bass being too prominent. My focus is on big soundstage, clear details and overall balanced presentation.

therefore maybe to400 and Dendroaspis could be still ok. In between the two i cant choose now, but i will be using a fiio amp with my lg v20.
I have the Viridis and while I agree it does lack bass and sub-bass, the mids, highs and soundstage more than make up for the lack of lower frequencies. I still listen to them for genres of music that require a bit of low end and I still find them enjoyable.

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #53,316 of 75,375
For rock progressive / space rock ... Dendroaspis is perfectly valid and enjoyable, I enjoy them in that musical genre on a daily basis.
I think it is necessary to clarify about dendroaspis, reading comments gives the impression of not being recommended or being a real garbage. They have already spoken to you about the basses and subwoofers, but it is not that there is no bass, it is there, but it is not the protagonist, as an example the subwoofers do not rumble in your head and the drums do not have that extension in which you seem to notice the tension of the kick drum ... but ... what it does well it does very well, a clear, natural tone, wide sound, all the other frequencies, and more technical aspects in my opinion are superior to everything else I have heard, not a little higher, much higher. Sure, there are better ones, but it cost me € 52, which is important.

If we go to a bud with good bass options like ry4s plus, in my case I would choose dendroaspis every day of the year.

If you are looking for something low compared to iems, I think buds is not the place to look, if I want that flavor (I can live without powerful bass, but sometimes you want joy) and I use IEM as an example to help you use ZS7, Blon BL3 or Smabat Blackbat, but if I want a full sound I use another price range and to be honest there the bass is not the protagonist either.

We are also talking about a bud with a great metallic construction, light, small, with mmcx, it can be worn over the ear, and in my opinion cheap, and green ... :smile:

Edit.: Another thing of Dendroaspis Viridis, if I want to listen to metal for example, in my DAP with high gain the problem is over, if I want to listen to Pink Floyd ... it is not necessary.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #53,317 of 75,375
I have never heard the rest to formally comment, but based on other reviews TO400 does not seem to have as much bass as well. Ansata Pro is also anybody's guess.

You may want to look into TO180 or TO200? Reviews make them out to have more bass. TO600 might be too high impedance for your setup.
In my opinion an earphone shell design restricts the sound quantity (be it subbass or middle) so basically the type without bass ports will rarely have subbass. Think about speaker cabinet designs.
These are small speakers, but the shell is often a jewelry more than an engineered cabinet.
After reading reviews and opinions, one can have an idea what type sounds similar, so you can choose a shell type rather than impedance and brand name.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #53,319 of 75,375
If we go to a bud with good bass options like ry4s plus, in my case I would choose dendroaspis every day of the year.
Are you saying people should skip the $7USD RY4S and just go for the $90USD Dendroaspis Virdis?

Where do they get these names anyway... What does that mean?

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #53,321 of 75,375
Apr 7, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #53,322 of 75,375
Are you saying people should skip the $7USD RY4S and just go for the $90USD Dendroaspis Virdis?

Googled it: western green mamba (Dendroaspis viridis)

440px-Dendroaspis_viridis_001.jpg

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #53,323 of 75,375

Go for the snake boy! Is more expensive but is a win win in many aspects like building, mmcx connection, soundstage and more blahblah blah. Really enjoy them and is my main earbud for many situations.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #53,324 of 75,375
Go for the snake boy! Is more expensive but is a win win in many aspects like building, mmcx connection, soundstage and more blahblah blah. Really enjoy them and is my main earbud for many situations.
Deal done! We’ll see when i’ll get them.
Took also smabat ST10s silver, just in case.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #53,325 of 75,375

I agree with everything you say. But earbuds serve many purposes. Yes, we all love the open sound. But some people could be willing to sacrifice the open quality for isolation, if they can’t stand weight (over ear headphones) or ear canal rape (IEM).
The Bose I was referring to may not have been strictly speaking an earbud (still not sure as there are many mainstream companies that call “earbuds” earphones that go deeper inside than the Bose SoundTrue Ultra; just type earbuds on Amazon and you’ll see), but it sure feels like one, or very close to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back